PDA

View Full Version : Tax Talk

Diesel
08-03-2009, 04:08 AM
It has recently come to my attention that several Deputies have been audited. The majority of these Deputies have a connection to a certain Tax Preparation Firm on Forum Road. It might be a good idea for those of us who would prefer to avoid this unpleasantness, to spend some time this year looking for another Tax Preparation Firm or accountant. Remember, I said the majority or rather a good percentage of the audited Deputes used this firm. It just may be a coincidence but it definitely deserves some deep consideration. I personally sought a new accountant some time ago, and I sleep easier.

Question:
What would happen if a Deputy received approx 40k in money from a private source to pay off depts., and then intentionally neglect to report the 40K as income on a tax return? This is the kind of foolish behavior that gets people audited, fined and fired. Intentionally neglecting to notify the IRS of 40K is beyond a mistake or an accounting error, it is criminal!

Be careful ladies and gentlemen.

08-15-2009, 06:17 PM
The $40,000.00 comment was placed in the message for a reason. Who the hell was stupid enough to make that big of a mistake? If you don't want to give the name, how about the initials?

As for the accountant, I sat there one time and listened to his BS and walked out. This guy had "Jail Time" written all over his fat greazzy face.

08-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Diesel is giving good advice. This particular tax preparer (and not an accountant) is a scumbag. He's about as crooked as a preacher's joy stick, and by looking at him, he seems to be quite profitable. He looks like he eats most of his monthly income. The guy hadn't seen his tool in probably over a decade or two.

This dude has no ethics and apparently he left his moral compass back in Costa Rica many years ago.

Anyone who goes to him and plays his games of messing with the IRS deserves exactly what they get. Get away from that nasty word Greed and go to someone that plays by the rules of the game. Most of us like pushing the envelope but this guy doesn't know what he is doing and when you are audited you are on your own. What's this guy going to be able to do for you when he is already flagged with the IRS for being as crooked as the day is long.

It's all fun and games until someone is audited for going to this arse clown and doing the dumb shitzell stuff that this dude does.

Texas
08-15-2009, 09:34 PM
If that accountant is named after a precious metal, I gurantee he's dirty. If the IRS finds one preparer giving bad advice, they will start a "campaign," auditing many of his clients. I have warned several deputies over the years that might happen. Here's real scoop: You MAY get away with laundry and car washes with receipts, depending on the auditor; however, the IRS may apply the same standard they apply to to meals. That is, everybody has to eat and you can't deduct them. Period. It ain't like Joe Salesman taking a client to lunch to enhance sales. That has been settled in a case with a Minnesota Trooper years ago. Being as one can not deduct employee business expenses until they exceed 2/5% of AGI, many of us just don't have enough EBE to get any deduction. IF your AGI is $40K, you need to have $1k in expenses before the next dollar is deductible.
And saying "My accountant told me I could" won't hold water when it comes to penalties. You are responsible for your return, you signed it. If they run a campaign on A.G. they may bar him from practice before the IRS.
As inefficient as the IRS is, and even though the laws are mostly convoluted and frequently one sided, I try to stay as far under their radar as possible.
Re: the $40k that was unreported. If it was a gift there's a good possibility most or all of it can be tax free, same if it came from a ROTH IRA.

08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
I went to this guy one year and he asks me if I have a dog. Then he proceededs to explain that I can write off the dog's expenses, the cost of water, food bowls, vet stuff, etc... becasue the dog is a security system for my home. I know a bunch of the K9 peep's used to go to him, but some of the stuff he was telling me to write off definately sent the flags to waving that something wasn't right. Then to top it off, I understand that one of the forms the people sign free's the firm of any liability and the burden is on you for the taxes to be true and accurate. Bro, just claim single and zero and pay Uncle Sam, or you will get Federally F#*@ed.

08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
well look at what happened to ex sheriff Jenne. I wonder if he ever got his pension? he was not suppose to.

Diesel
08-19-2009, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure how Sheriff Jenne relates to this thread. Can you elaborate?

08-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Diesel your first post stated this
Question:
What would happen if a Deputy received approx 40k in money from a private source to pay off depts., and then intentionally neglect to report the 40K as income on a tax return? This is the kind of foolish behavior that gets people audited, fined and fired. Intentionally neglecting to notify the IRS of 40K is beyond a mistake or an accounting error, it is criminal!

Be careful ladies and gentlemen.

well that s what sheriff Jenne from broward did and he was busted by the feds and is still trying to get his pension just food for thought

08-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I saw this thread and figured I would go to the best source for an answer to the question regarding the 40k from a private source. This raised my curiosity since I received money from a relative this year which was used to pay off some debt. So I called the IRS and asked them what the procedure is regarding receiving money that was not actually earned and if that money had to be reported as earned income. I was told directly from an IRS agent that you are allowed a cash gift that is tax exempt. The only filing that needs to be done is from the person that gives you the money. They need to file a cash gift return, but they do not need to pay any additional taxes. The agent was very nice and told me that if anynone has any questions regarding taxes and what is allowed as an exemption they can always contact the IRS directly and get a free brochure on what is allowed. Better to be safe than sory and get audited! I too was audited because my tax preparer was being investigated by the IRS. It worked out where I didnt need to pay any additional taxes or penalties but the whole process was not fun at all! Luckily I had receipts for EVERYTHING!

08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
There is a limit the person giving the cash gift can give, over that amount and the person giving the gift can incur taxes. In 2009 the amount is $13,000.

If married both the husband and wife can give $13,000 to the same person for a total of $26,000. The person may also give cash gifts (not to exceed the maximum amount for the year, per person) to other persons during the year as well.

Diesel
08-20-2009, 02:14 AM
That’s where some people can get into trouble. The one time gift is very limited and must be reported. 40k exceeds the limit, and if unreported becomes an intention TAX Evasion which will cause the effected person to be possibly charged criminally, pay the back tax and a hefty fine. I also called the IRS and confirmed with my accountant that, in these cases, the IRS will complete a financial audit of the Giver’s financial records (Checking Account) and identify to whom the checks were written. This will allow them to verify the amount of the total gift. The worse part, if the IRS finds out that the Giver reported the gift incorrectly, then the Giver is also criminally charged since that person intentionally filed false information to facilitate the theft of taxes.
The IRS directed me to this link on the website; it’s actually pretty easy to report VIOLATORS:

If you suspect or know of an individual or company that is not complying with the tax laws, you may report this activity by completing Form 3949-A. You may fill out Form 3949-A online, print it and mail it to:
Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888
If you do not wish to use Form 3949-A, you may send a letter to the address above. Please include the following information, if available:
• Name and address of the person you are reporting
• The taxpayer identification number (social security number for an individual or employer identification number for a business)
• A brief description of the alleged violation, including how you became aware of or obtained the information
• The years involved
• The estimated dollar amount of any unreported income
• Your name, address and daytime telephone number
Although you are not required to identify yourself, it is helpful to do so. Your identity can be kept confidential.
Frequently Asked Questions - 1.13 IRS Procedures: Reporting Fraud

WE NEED TO BE CAREFUL, NOW IS NOT A GOOD TIME TO BE LOOKING FOR A JOB.

08-30-2009, 01:33 AM
Guest on 08/19/09 16:24:38

Did you just admit on this site that you defrauded the IRS out of nearly 20K of taxable income? Are you crazy? That is like $4,500 in back taxes, fines, and a possible criminal charge. Not to mention that if the SO finds out, you’ll spend a couple of days in IA answering questions. You better notify the IRS of your mistake, pay the tax and beg for mercy. Heck , if IA found out, they’d have to document the allegation and then notify the IRS. If you get caught, you are going to be in a lot of trouble.

08-30-2009, 01:45 AM
Negative! As stated in my post I contacted the IRS directly and told them about my cash gift, as well as my accountant. Not sure where you came up with the 20k in unreported income. I wish I got that much, no such luck. Just got some money from a relative to pay off some debt. Everything is on the up-and-up.

09-01-2009, 02:12 AM
You are allowed 13K for you and another if you have a spouce. If the gift was 40K, then your're light about 20k in taxable income! Get a new accountant or fix some of your personal problems so you don't go down the drain with some of the others. According to a few posts ago, it seems pretty easy to report someone to the IRS. I hope noone knows what you did. Anyway, should let the IRS know about the other money, take the tax and penalty hit and move on. If you contact them first, they usually go easy on the penalties.

09-07-2009, 02:53 AM
H&R Block