PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Abbatoy

07-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know what exactly happened with Ron Abbatoy? Do you possibly know where he is now and if he is still in LE somewhere. Thanks - old academy buddy!

07-26-2009, 03:42 AM
As far as I know, he moved back up north to be with beth. I believe they are now married or something. Beth quit and moved up there because her parents were very ill. I want to say they are in PA? I know someone that knows... so if you need more information, I will ask.

07-26-2009, 02:39 PM
http://www.post-journal.com/page/conten ... l?nav=5067 (http://www.post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/529162.html?nav=5067)

JUST GOOGLE HIM

07-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Cattaraugus County Journal
Police Hiring Under Fire

POSTED: April 28, 2009

CATTARAUGUS - The April meeting of the Cattaraugus Village Board featured a familiar face in a new job, some new faces in some old jobs, and a pointed discussion about village police hiring practices.

It was the first regular meeting presided over by recently elected Mayor William Myers, a former trustee. Two new trustees also made their first appearance; John Bronneberg was chosen on the March ballot, while Angela Hogan was appointed by Myers after the resignation of newly elected trustee David Rivet, the former mayor.

Early in the meeting, as Cattaraugus Police Officer Don Veith was introducing Ron Abbatoy, whom he hoped to add to the local force, Village Clerk Jodi Miller voiced her dissatisfaction with police department hiring practices. She said that in her opinion, the job should be posted and wanted to know why it wasn't. She also said that since the department was civil service, hiring should be done from Cattaraugus County's civil service list of eligible personnel.

Veith said that he didn't think that practice applied to his part-time department. He went on to explain that he needed a new officer because Officer Amy Parsons had recently resigned from the force, unfortunately at the same time that his other officer, Mike McCarthy, was off on a previously planned vacation. This left him (Veith) handling all patrols. "I need some help," Veith said.

Veith pointed out that Abbatoy had an outstanding resume and substantial experience in police work. He said that Mr. Abbatoy and his wife were relocating from Lee County, Florida (where Abbatoy had been a member of the county sheriff's department), back to New York State where his wife's parents live.

"He comes highly recommended," said Veith. "You don't often get an applicant with these kinds of credentials looking for part-time work, but we're lucky. That's exactly the stage he's at, right now."

Clerk Miller again raised the question of why police officers (including Abbatoy) were not being hired from the eligible list at the county, and Trustee Hogan joined her in this line of questioning.

Trustee Bronneberg asked Abbatoy if he had attended the New York State Police Academy, to which he answered yes, although it was for the position of corrections officer, since at that time he worked for the Erie County Department of Corrections. Abbatoy explained that he later attended a police academy in Florida, where he obtained certification as a police deputy.

Later in the same meeting, long after Veith and Abbatoy had left, the clerk again raised the issue. This time she declared she would not sign any documents connected with the hiring of a person if that individual was not hired strictly according to village policy. Mayor Myers said that he was not yet well versed in policy, but would make it a point to become so.

Miller suggested that Myers and police liaison Trustee Patrick McGlew discuss the matter with the county's director of human resources, Dave Moshier. She said he would verify her statements.

Hogan said that Veith's introduction of Abbatoy to the board made her feel uncomfortable and "pressured" to make a decision. "It would be nice to see an application," she said.

McGlew remarked that he felt Veith had introduced Abbatoy as a courtesy to the board, so that they could meet him before an application was actually submitted.

The matter was finally dropped with the mayor saying that he would contact the county and also review village records to determine what, if any, hiring practices were in effect.

08-22-2011, 07:53 PM
abbatoy still in NYS. Wishing he'd never left FLA. and LCSO. LCSO has its problems, but I still believe they are one of the best agencies to work for. We are spoiled. We always have the best equipment and despite some of the personal issues, we are a family.

Hey to Pultro and all from the 109th LE academy

08-22-2011, 11:50 PM
abbatoy still in NYS. Wishing he'd never left FLA. and LCSO. LCSO has its problems, but I still believe they are one of the best agencies to work for. We are spoiled. We always have the best equipment and despite some of the personal issues, we are a family.

Hey to Pultro and all from the 109th LE academy

Yes we are spoiled, like rotten apples hanging on a tree, unable to fall and at least start over again. If I could sell my home for half of what I paid for it, I'd be gone.

01-21-2014, 04:36 AM
Ronnie was in buffalo for a few years and has recently moved back to florida... this was actually posted by a former co worker in erie county.....hes a great guy and we miss him...a class act...FoxSouth

01-22-2014, 03:54 AM
He just retired with a buy out and is back in Florida. Spoke to him the other day. A good guy and a good cop to work with.

05-23-2014, 03:06 AM
He just retired with a buy out and is back in Florida. Spoke to him the other day. A good guy and a good cop to work with.

If anyone sees Ron please tell him "Hello" and I hope all is going well.
Mike Kellar