PDA

View Full Version : Gates

07-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Good job guys, You did your job and did it right.. Stay strong and stand up for your Sgt.

07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Good job guys, You did your job and did it right.. Stay strong and stand up for your Sgt.
Keep up the good work, I would have done the same thing he deserved to go to jail. Hopefully you will prevail in court!!

07-24-2009, 02:02 AM
I WOULD LIKE TO SHOW MY SUPPORT FOR YOUR DEPARTMENT AND MORE SPECIFICALLY THE SGT. INVOLVED IN THE GATES INCIDENT. WE ARE BEHIND YOU.... I JUST HOPE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAD THE BACKBONE TO STAND BEHIND YOU AND FIGHT... WE ARE ALL WATCHING YOU.... BACK UP YOUR OFFICERS !!!!!! WE WILL FOLLOW !!!

OBAMA = ONE BIG ASS MISTAKE AMERICA !!!! :?

07-24-2009, 11:11 AM
To the Cambridge Police Department, specifically the chief and officer:
Keep up the good work and keep with the backbone. I cannot believe a president would use those words. We weren't there to know what was going through the officer's mind, but I'll tell you one thing, if people would RESPECT law enforcement and if law enforcement's hands weren't tied, then maybe this type of stuff wouldn't happen. If law enforcement tells you to do something, do it. Then you can fight whatever it is in the proper venue....a court of law. And if you truly are innocent, the law enforcement officer will let you go.
Thanks for protecting people and stay safe out there...
A Florida citizen, NOT LEO.

07-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Ahhhhh, we Fla cops really enjoy Leo Affairs!!! As you may or may not know, Fla, more specifically South Fla is made up of mostly north easterners. Not that that has anything to do with this situation, other then you should be receiving support from your brothers and sisters in the south!.
As a 30 year ranking law enforcement professional I would like to add my support to the Cambridge PD, more specifically to the Sgt. I have watched this fiasco unfold on national news and I must admit, I have been impressed with the Sgt's professionalism, demeanor and more importantly the grace he has shown under fire. Sarge, you have come across as a gentleman and a professional, and credible. Stand strong, you are a great example of police officers in America. I too am sadden by our Presidents lack of judgement, and his racist views. Do not apologize, for you acted correctly and how we are all trained to react. In fact, I don't know if YOU should even accept an apology! A brother from the South.

07-24-2009, 06:31 PM
WE SUPPORT YOU SERGEANT AND CHIEF! YOU DID YOUR JOB NOW OBAMA MUST DO HIS JOB! APOLOGIZE TO ALL OF US!!WILL NOT GET OR DID GET MY VOTE....WILL NOT GET IT AGAIN. :!:

07-24-2009, 07:59 PM
To The Sgt. And Cambridge Police Dept. I just want to say great job, stay strong and Im glad that you guys are getting your side of the incident out there. I've been a police officer 16 years and as we all know everyday it just gets harder and harder to do our job. I can not belive the president just made it even harder for us. By once again bringing race into something that is not. God bless all Law Enforcement and the U.S.A.

07-24-2009, 09:23 PM
ATTENTION ALL STAFF :
SUBJECT: Policy change to dispatchers

From now on, when reporting a call, the following information must now be included:
The occupation, race, community stature,if the person has President Obama's phone number, and you must now phone the residence of all burglary calls and ask the person breaking in the window if they live there.

07-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Sgt. ******* acted in a professional manner, and with more restraint than most of us under the circumstances... Your department should be proud and all true Law Enforcement Officers are behind you! However, the joke we have holding the highest office in the land put his two cents in and we now know he is more like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton than Martin Luther King Jr. I never voted for Odumbo, and now he's lost ALL my respect...

Miami Dade PO

07-24-2009, 11:35 PM
We support you from Florida

"The Police Dept handled that situation STUPIDLY?"

http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=89097

07-25-2009, 02:43 AM
I have never been so embarassed or ashamed of my president as I was yesterday when I heard his outrageous comments about the situation. I however was never so proud as I was watching your union reps stand up in unity to defend your Officer today , thank god your agency has a backbone to stand up to these politicans. Now go vote your mayor and governor out ! The president wont be getting any re elections votes from anyone in my agency - God bless and keep up the good work !

07-25-2009, 03:32 AM
To Sgt *******,

Thank you for saying what you felt and not backing down. Our unit talking about your situation today and all of us are in support of you. Keep your head up and held high for you did nothing wrong. Apparently as smart as this professor is, he apparently isnt smart enough to understand that the action he took had the consequences an opposite and equal reaction. I really wish your State Attorney/District Attorney didnt drop the charges. I have read many, many articles from many, many different websites and I am still in support of you. Make law enforcement proud, as well as your agency, though I'm sure your Chief is about to pass out and hopefully he will make a statement (if he hasnt already, I cant find anything) that he supports your decision to make an arrest! Good job sergeant!

Polk County, Florida

07-25-2009, 04:38 AM
ATTENTION ALL STAFF :
SUBJECT: Policy change to dispatchers

From now on, when reporting a call, the following information must now be included:
The occupation, race, community stature,if the person has President Obama's phone number, and you must now phone the residence of all burglary calls and ask the person breaking in the window if they live there.

I said the same exact thing!!! That is great.

07-25-2009, 05:07 PM
First and foremost....do we south Fla cops love the internet or what!!!!
Secondly and on a serious not, I am a retired leo with more then 30+ years on the job. I am also fortunate enough to teach criminal justice at a local college. In today's class ( yes I teach Saturday mornings) we devoted much of the class to Sgt. ******* and the arrest. I copied and distributed the arrest report and also the activity log for the Cambridge PD that day, to show that Cambridge is not a bedroom community and that it has its share of crime including violent crime ( in fact you had a shooting earlier in the day ). Sgt, you will be happy to know that the class, made up of white,Hispanics and African-American kids, all, without a doubt overwhelmingly supported you and your actions. I asked them to write letters of support and mail them to your ( giggle) Mayor, but if you know college kids, that may not happen. But I was happy to see outright disgust on the part of my students, one black student called Gates an embarrassment and he was ashamed by his actions. Anyway, I Wanted you to know you have a great deal of support and as soon as our brothers and sisters learn how to use LEO affairs , they will post their support as well. Press on!

07-25-2009, 06:57 PM
The joke about us Florida leo's and the internet may have some legs. I am retired from the Tampa Police Dept and would also like to add my support to Sgt. *******. I believe that the Sgt. went above and beyond in trying to deal with this situation. Sgt, you should be promoted or retire early from up north and come down here to sunny Florida. It looks like you would have a lot of cops that would be honored to work for you. I just hope that unlike some departments, yours will continue to back you. Good luck, stay strong and you really have thousands of brothers and sisters that will cover your back. God Bless.

07-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Well even though everyone here would like to see Sgt. ******* stand up for this situation, including myself, he has told the media that he regrets making the arrest, only because of all the attention that it has gotten.

I don't know about you, but with that, and the mix of the charges being dropped almost immediately, this whole situation will tarnish the integrity and respect that everyone single one of us has maintained. I'm sure there is more nonsense where this came from. I was hoping to have heard something a little more positive come from *******, but it sounds like we are in for a rough ride gentleman. To put it lightly, with this President, we are f---ing screwed!

07-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I read the report and it fits all the elements, well written. I see the race card used often, it's sad that this even made it to the white house. I have thick skin and probably would have just walked away but, I totally understand. There is only so much we can take. This profession is a easy target for the media and idiots like this guy.

Glad your department united and stood up for the Sergeant.

07-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I read the report also, it was very descriptive. They also wrote a supplement from another Officer that was on scene. That makes it sound like they were prepared for the aftermath (CYA, if you will). I was watching CNN discuss the incident at the "round table" with people that are of course, qualified to tackle these issues (sarcastic), and there was 1 (obvious republican) that stood up for Law Enforcement. He was bringing up great facts like "Why is a small city police incident being sent all the way up to the President? Why is the President addressing these situations in a press conference? There are more important things to discuss then a minor incident coming from such a silly crime. He also made another good point that "If the problem with this incident is because the man is black, what about thousands of other "black men" that get "hasselled" by the Police on a daily basis? Why is Obama not bringing up that in a press conference around he nation?

Anyway, I still have yet to hear an apology from our's truly to all LEO's... I feel offended about his wording at the conference, and I think that he needs to stand up and address the ones that protect HIS A$$ and all the American people's A$$ just as quickly as he did defending his "brotha" That's all I have to say!

07-27-2009, 05:15 AM
Obama sure has a great circle of friends.... Racists like Prof. Gates, Rev Wright and Domestic terrorist Bill Ayers.

I wonder who else may pop up in the coming years?

In 2012, FORMER President Obama can sit back with Jimmy Carter and compare notes.

07-27-2009, 05:18 AM
That just goes to show who the real minorities are...

07-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Sgt. ******* has my support and his response to the entire fiasco has been outstanding and should be commended. I would be glad to have a beer with you any day. No need to go to the White House for one.

07-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, unfortunately you guys are finding out who your friends are. More importantly than that, the benefits of situations like this is that they expose wolves in sheep's clothing. I'm impressed with the way Cambridge PD is backing up the sergeant involved (James *******) and how forthcoming the media has been with information. Disappointing is Governor Deval Patrick's and President Obama's (the wolves') handling of this situation. As for Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr., if the university had any class they'd fire his racist butt and vote republican next time!

Your brothers and sisters on the west coast (California) support you!!!

07-28-2009, 12:17 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090723/capt.cf5bcf9d5bf146d2a370f8fdb3304df3.aptopix_harv ard_scholar_disorderly_masr204.jpg?x=213&y=289&xc=1&yc=1&wc=301&hc=408&q=85&sig=p6nrYawKwDN7E.2_q1eI4g--
Sgt. James *******

We Feel For You Brother!

07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
I just learned that a meeting will take place on Thursday with Obama,Gates and Sgt. *******. Please be careful brother. The fact that Obama has already admitted he considers Gates and friend and he is biased makes me believe this is a lose-lose situation for the Sgt. Please stay strong, it must feel like you have the entire law enforcement community on your back, and truth be told you do. However I believe the law enforcement community also has your back. I don't know if I would go to the WH without backup, after all you are the only one without an attorney and Obama is making this a publicity stunt and Gates stated he expects an apology....You do what is right for you, I have been in this business a lot of years, an innocent man never confesses, he will go down fighting regardless. Just stay true to yourself, you will be fine. Good luck to you in all your endeavours.
PS, if your union should back someone for mayor, have it posted here and I will gladly donate to the fund.

07-28-2009, 10:55 PM
HEY SARGE TAKE A SMALL TAPE RECORDER WITH YOU IF YOU DO DECIDE TO HAVE A BEER WITH THOSE TWO RACISTS.

07-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Sarge,

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would share a 40 oz. of Old E, or Colt 45 or ANY other malted beverage with either of those two racicst a$$holes! For the first time in my 14 year career I am embarassed to be an officer of the government that answers to such a shit-bag excuse for a president. I am, however, extremely proud to walk the thin line with you and consider it an honor to share this profession with such a good cop!! For the sake of all of us ( I mean the country....not cops ) DO NOT apologize for your actions. That ass has made his entire living writing about slavery (400 years behind the times) and other black/racist studies. He is the only true racsist that was present on his front steps that day.

God bless and please reconsider sitting down with those two. They are NOT worthy of your presence!!

07-29-2009, 02:18 AM
So many of you state you support Sgt *******'s actions yet you haven't even considered whether or not he acted in accordance with established case law. As LEOs you should read or know the controlling law before you start supporting a rogue action by an individual with an inflated ego Commonwealth v. Mulvey, 57 Mass. App. Ct. 579 (2003 disorderly conduct case law). A link to the case law is below:

http://masscases.com/cases/app/57/57mas ... html#back5 (http://masscases.com/cases/app/57/57massappct579.html#back5)

By the reading of these posts I can understand that most of you do not care about what the law actually says but by what you believe it should be. Bad, bad, precedent to set for LEOs.

07-29-2009, 02:36 AM
http://masscases.com/cases/app/57/57massappct579.html#back5

I support Sgt. Crowleys action. The actions in the case you highlighted and those that occurred with Henry Gates are vastly different. You should re-read the courts opinion and you will see that ******* took appropriate actions based upon the events as they were occuring.

07-29-2009, 02:46 AM
Yes
Even the non LEO's in Florida back YOU
NOT that amateur in washington!

07-29-2009, 02:54 AM
In response to Guest. I commend your efforts for engaging in an intelligent conversation commencing with your reading of the case law. You state the situations are vastly different but you do not state factual issues as to how they are different. In actuality the cases are similar in all relevant aspects: 1) the LEOs in MULVEY as well as ******* both had a legal basis for being at the private property 2) the charge at issue is disorderly conduct in private property 3) as in MULVEY's case there was no evidence (save hearsay by *******) that anyone was disturbed by GATES' conduct and 4) just as the judge commented in MULVEY, that the Sergeant could have just left the injunction at the residence after identifying MULVEY so could ******* have left the scene after being satisfied that GATES was the homeowner. Remember ******* stated twice in his report that he believed GATES was the homeowner even before ******* stepped inside the house. I respect your opinion on supporting ******* if you so choose but the case law my friend does not. I have read the case law many times before and it hasn't changed. This was an attitude arrest and most LEOs will fess up to it albeit not publicly. "Guest" what is at stake here is not an issue as to whether we like one party more than the other, rather the issue at hand is whether a LEO followed established case law or not.

07-29-2009, 03:03 AM
*******, you're a Patriot. I am proud to be your brother in blue. Keep standing tall and be safe.

07-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Ok, we all know the Sergeant put a POP charge on the professor. At the same time, the professor should have acted more reasonably and not get into a confrontation. Serg, I stand by you as a brother officer, but you needed to swallow some pride based on where you work and the people you work for. We all have put POP charges on people. Serg, you just got slamed with the wrong guy.

As an Obama supporter, there is no excuse for him to make statements on local issues or without all the facts. With that said, Serg you have the oppourtunity to be a man and face the president and provide our side of the badge. Because the citizens don't care about black or white officers they just disrespect the Blue Uniform. Take that message to the President on civil responsibility of citizens to respect police officers and at the same time learn from your experience and don't be closed minded to what occurred. Everything happens for reason.

Stay Safe,

Another Florida COP

JoeFriday
07-29-2009, 03:20 AM
So many of you state you support Sgt *******'s actions yet you haven't even considered whether or not he acted in accordance with established case law. As LEOs you should read or know the controlling law before you start supporting a rogue action by an individual with an inflated ego Commonwealth v. Mulvey, 57 Mass. App. Ct. 579 (2003 disorderly conduct case law). A link to the case law is below:

http://masscases.com/cases/app/57/57mas ... html#back5 (http://masscases.com/cases/app/57/57massappct579.html#back5)

By the reading of these posts I can understand that most of you do not care about what the law actually says but by what you believe it should be. Bad, bad, precedent to set for LEOs.
Sir, you should know the facts before you label someone as a " rouge" cop. I agree with the statement about an inflated ego, I would assume you are speaking about Gates, but that would be ludicrous, a Harvard professor, with an inflated ego, surely you jest.

JoeFriday
07-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Ok, we all know the Sergeant put a POP charge on the professor. At the same time, the professor should have acted more reasonably and not get into a confrontation. Serg, I stand by you as a brother officer, but you needed to swallow some pride based on where you work and the people you work for. We all have put POP charges on people. Serg, you just got slamed with the wrong guy.

As an Obama supporter, there is no excuse for him to make statements on local issues or without all the facts. With that said, Serg you have the oppourtunity to be a man and face the president and provide our side of the badge. Because the citizens don't care about black or white officers they just disrespect the Blue Uniform. Take that message to the President on civil responsibility of citizens to respect police officers and at the same time learn from your experience and don't be closed minded to what occurred. Everything happens for reason.

Stay Safe,

Another Florida COP
As an veteran of over 30 years, I learned many things, first keep your mouth shut unless you know all the facts, second, Monday morning quarterbacking is a luxury we don't always have and lastly, it should be " Sarge" not Serg, unless you are referring to the cabana boy or the hairstylist. Take your own advise and keep an open mind, maybe gates was wrong?

07-29-2009, 04:02 AM
As a retired Captain of 25 years I commend your actions in the arrest of Professor Gates. All too often we are placed into a position where we must act appropriately where others may see different as they sit and have their coffee in the morning. Sgt. ******* I have had my coffee and read your reports and agree your decision to make an arrest was reasonable and justifiable. Over our careers, most officers handle a call for service very similar to the one you dealt with. Most of those would say the homeowner was more than happy you were there to help. Those of course with an axe to grind, such as Professor Gates, obviously require additional patience and experience. We all stand behind you and your agency for a job well done. I can not say as much for your DA who collapsed under the anticipated stress of the media. But we all have lived with, some you win and some you loose.
Good luck and be sure to have a back up at the Friday night beer fest in DC. If you think the junk yard dog [Gates] was a little tuff on the front porch, wait till you see him in action with his back up, on his porch.

Average Joe
07-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Florida retired LEO with 30 years on.

Good job Sgt *******. It is a good thing that I had not been there as when he was in the kitchen and refusing to prove he was the resident I would had escorted him out of the house if he had refused to walk out on his own. A kitchen has far too many weapons that can be used against me when someone is irate and not think straight.

And to the poster that commented about the incident report stating that Sgt. ******* felt Gates was the homeowner, we can not go by gut feeling in an incident like this. You can not leave the scene until the person can be positively be identified as the home owner, and the gut feeling does not meet that criteria.

07-29-2009, 04:17 AM
Good work my friend. You professionalism set the example for the idiots out there who think they can walk on police officers.

07-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Well done, too bad Obama wasn't with him !

Average Joe
07-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Colin Powell 07/29/2009 CNN LArry King live:

"I think Skip [Gates], perhaps in this instance, might have waited a while, come outside, talked to the officer and that might have been the end of it," Powell said in an interview with CNN's Larry King.

Powell said that under the circumstances, Gates may not have been in the appropriate frame of mind to best handle the situation.

"He was just home from China, just home from New York. All he wanted to do was get to bed. His door was jammed and so he was in a mood where he said something," Powell said.

He recalled a lesson he was taught as a child: "When you're faced with an officer who is trying to do his job and get to the bottom of something, this is not the time to get in an argument with him.

I would love to see Romney/Powell ticket in 2012

07-29-2009, 05:10 AM
Florida retired LEO with 30 years on.

Good job Sgt *******. It is a good thing that I had not been there as when he was in the kitchen and refusing to prove he was the resident I would had escorted him out of the house if he had refused to walk out on his own. A kitchen has far too many weapons that can be used against me when someone is irate and not think straight.

And to the poster that commented about the incident report stating that Sgt. ******* felt Gates was the homeowner, we can not go by gut feeling in an incident like this. You can not leave the scene until the person can be positively be identified as the home owner, and the gut feeling does not meet that criteria.

You say that you cannot leave until the person can be positively identified as the homeowner. That's an interesting observation but it is not pragmatic in its application. In your comment you failed to show or explain the "criteria" to be applied in proving how a "homeowner can be positively identified" as the owner of a particular home. What would you do to someone who owns a rental unit and is coming to work on the property which the tenants abandoned? What if he doesn't have the deed to or an ID with the address of the residence in question? Will you take him to jail? What if it were a boarder staying for a few weeks until he completes a temporary duty assignment and his ID has an address different from the residence in question and he cannot get a hold of the landlord? What about a family member or friend taking care of the house because the owner or resident is traveling or in the hospital? Are you prepared to arrest that person too? Please don't be hasty. Should you arrest them you will lose the lawsuit and find yourself out of a job. Police are not omnipotent and they have been wrong before.

The incident report is not just an incident report, it is a compilation of Sgt *******'s investigatory observations at the scene. These observations carry just as much weight as his opinion as to whether or not GATES exhibited "tumultuous behavior". If his opinion of tumultuous behavior (not backed up by any evidence) is sufficient to deprive GATES of his liberty after he confirmed GATES was the homeowner, then his opinion about GATES being the homeowner (absent any evidence of a burglary) should have been sufficient to dispel his fear, thereby requiring him to "beat feet" not escalate the situation. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

07-29-2009, 09:19 AM
I totally support your Actions Sgt. I am glad to see your agency back you. None of us should have to take the verbal abuse from anyone and once they have been put on notice to quiet down... then they should be arrested as you did. Once again great job.. I back you totally !

Mr.President.. should have never become involved in a local issue, especially when he did not have all the facts !

Ron Friedman
Retired Major
North Miami Beach Police Department

07-29-2009, 10:00 AM
on 07/28/09 22:18:31 So many of you state you support Sgt *******'s actions yet you haven't even considered whether or not he acted in accordance with established case law. As LEOs you should read or know the controlling law before you start supporting a rogue action by an individual with an inflated ego Commonwealth v. Mulvey, 57 Mass. App. Ct. 579 (2003 disorderly conduct case law). A link to the case law is below:

http://masscases.com/cases/app/57/57mas ... html#back5

By the reading of these posts I can understand that most of you do not care about what the law actually says but by what you believe it should be. Bad, bad, precedent to set for LEOs.[quote="American Cop":3p4tekey]

I must disagree with you on your assumption of that Sgt Gates acted outside of the established case law. You throw out 1000 dollar words in your posts, but do not consider all the facts in the case. You are Monday Morning quarterbacking an officer's decision and you were not there. Remember that Case law is just that, Case Law. Unless it is a final determination from the US Supreme Count, it is not final decision and the state level always changes. New cases are always brought up to challenge the older cases to make them more current to today's moral and ethical standards.

[quote="American Cop":3p4tekey] In response to Guest. I commend your efforts for engaging in an intelligent conversation commencing with your reading of the case law. You state the situations are vastly different but you do not state factual issues as to how they are different. In actuality the cases are similar in all relevant aspects: 1) the LEOs in MULVEY as well as ******* both had a legal basis for being at the private property agree2) the charge at issue is disorderly conduct in private property agree3) as in MULVEY's case there was no evidence (save hearsay A police report of a specific witness (Officer) is not hearsay as it is a sworn to document/affidavit so hearsay does not apply here by *******) that anyone was disturbed by GATES' conduct and 4) just as the judge commented in MULVEY, that the Sergeant could have just left the injunction There is that specific element that I mentioned that does not apply to this case as no investigation is being done for process service as there was for the possible burglary/trespass charge at the residence after identifying MULVEY so could ******* have left the scene Then this Sergeant could have been in trouble for "Not doing a through job of investigating the possible crime. Officers do not run from confrontation, but go to it. Sort of like a quote from a movie "Marines don't run from the sound of gunfire, they go towards it" after being satisfied that GATES was the homeowner. You are right here, however you are also wrong. Once Gates began his verbal bashing of the Sgt *******, he was still committed to doing his job. You must remember that Gates was the one who could have answered the questions and Sgt ******* would have been gone. Gates chose to be difficult and obstruct the officer and use racial claims instead of answering and providing the documentation requested Remember ******* stated twice in his report that he believed GATES was the homeowner even before ******* stepped inside the house. I respect your opinion on supporting ******* if you so choose but the case law my friend does not. I have read the case law many times before and it hasn't changed. This was an attitude arrest and most LEOs will fess up to it albeit not publicly. "Guest" what is at stake here is not an issue as to whether we like one party more than the other, rather the issue at hand is whether a LEO followed established case law or not. [quote="American Cop":3p4tekey]

See my response to your post in blue above. Police do not just follow case law, but they also follow State Law. If they followed Case Law like you do or claim to do then nothing would be done. Case law is on both sides of the bench and can and does go for all parties at any time. (See Suppression Hearing) As stated above case law unless it is from the US Supreme Court always changes. You can find 100 cases why something can not be done, and the other attorney can find 100 cases why it was justified. Case law is or can be specific in the elements that it addresses. That is why hearings are done and rulings are made base on that. From your reading of the case law proved by your summery of the incident, it states that the officer is there to serve a Process, that was not the case here. The officer was investigating a burglary or possible trespass. That in itself can lead to other case law.

[quote="American Cop":3p4tekey]You say that you cannot leave until the person can be positively identified as the homeowner. That's an interesting observation but it is not pragmatic in its application. In your comment you failed to show or explain the "criteria" to be applied in proving how a "homeowner can be positively identified" as the owner of a particular home. What would you do to someone who owns a rental unit and is coming to work on the property which the tenants abandoned? What if he doesn't have the deed to or an ID with the address of the residence in question? Will you take him to jail? What if it were a boarder staying for a few weeks until he completes a temporary duty assignment and his ID has an address different from the residence in question and he cannot get a hold of the landlord? What about a family member or friend taking care of the house because the owner or resident is traveling or in the hospital? Are you prepared to arrest that person too? Please don't be hasty. Should you arrest them you will lose the lawsuit and find yourself out of a job. Police are not omnipotent and they have been wrong before.

The incident report is not just an incident report, it is a compilation of Sgt *******'s investigatory observations at the scene. These observations carry just as much weight as his opinion as to whether or not GATES exhibited "tumultuous behavior". If his opinion of tumultuous behavior (not backed up by any evidence) is sufficient to deprive GATES of his liberty after he confirmed GATES was the homeowner, then his opinion about GATES being the homeowner (absent any evidence of a burglary) should have been sufficient to dispel his fear, thereby requiring him to "beat feet" not escalate the situation. You can't have your cake and eat it too.[/quote:3p4tekey][/quote:3p4tekey][/quote:3p4tekey][/quote:3p4tekey]

American Cop,

To summarize my responses to you I post this. We as Officers do not WHAT IF!!!. What if is way to close to ASSUME which breaks down to Ass-u-me. I have read your posts to this thread and I am truly amazed at your reaction. You do not come across as a cop but as a ACLU attorney or an attorney just out of law school and trying to make something out of your expensive Doctorate of Law Degree. You however do make valid defensive points, however I must say that most are misplaced.

As a fellow officer with more than 15 years doing the job and with a family tradition of Law Enforcement in this country, dating back to the 1940's in our Nations Capital (DC Metro), I do not understand how you would make your decision without, 1st you not being there on scene, 2nd knowing all the facts (We all know not all facts make it into a police report. That is why Depo's are done) of the case at the time and 3rd Officers are required to make split second decisions in this line of work. In Graham Vs Connor it specifically states that "that police officers are often forced to make split-second decisions". Yes I know it is a use of force case, but they have recogonized that we do have to think fast and do not have the luxurious of having "West Law" at our finger tips and have time to over analize our decisions. Sgt ******* made a decision and did not flinch. Yes it was a minor charge, but it still fit and is a crime that was comitted in his presence and that of other Officers.

As being a cop and knowing the law like you do, it is the job of the Officers to establish probable cause for the arrest and that is it. It is not up to the Officers to win the case, but up to the Attorney's (DA or State) to win the case. From what I have learned from the news, No rehearing was ordered by the Judge who reviewed the Probable Cause Affidavit to find Probable Cause, because it was all right there. That in itself was the threshold that Sgt ******* had to meet and HE DID. It is up to the DA or State to decide if they wish to file or not. People are arrested all the time and charges are dropped all around this country for minor charges. This case is not exception but the norm. As being a cop as you claim you would know this. However the media never pick that little bit of info up.

What this case is/was is a Officer called to a house like many of us are on a daily basis for a possible criminal investigation. The homeowner being a black man. The officer not seeing the color, but seeing a possible suspect/criminal and doing an investigation to determine what he had. The suspect/homeowner giving the Officer a bunch of lip and obstructing his investigation. The suspect/homeowner not being compliant and escalating the situation by his verbal tirades, and the Officer making a split second decision to effect an arrest. Then the suspect/homeowner playing the racial card, on top of that being a Harvard Professor with being a historian of Black heritage with access to the POTUS. This got way our of hand over a stupid misdemeanor charge that more often then not gets dropped.

I do have one question for you Mr American Cop, If this was a poor black male from the getto/projects somewhere in America, who did the same thing would you have though the same at this or worked soo hard in defending him? Would the press have jumped all over the story? I say no to all! OH wait I have 1 more question, If this was a white College Professor from Harvard who acted the same as gates did, would Sgt ******* have arrested him? I bet he would have. It would not have mattered to him the color of the suspect, but of the criminal act he had in front of him and the laws that were violated.

What this was was Gates playing the race card that did not need to be played. He caused this incident and he could have prevented it. There is a reason that the race card is still played today. It is because people hide behind it and the media also fixates on it to make it an issue or to make the issue more than what it is to sell either air time or papers. We should never look at people as to what color they have, but what can they accomplish and what can they contribute to this great country. We as professional Officers do not look at people and judge them by color, we as Professional Officers judge people by their ACTIONS.

On that note, Sgt ******* good job in doing what was right at the time. Honor is doing this right thing all the time, even when no one else is looking. Sgt ******* you did the right thing and I SALUTE YOU for not backing down.

ps. I am sorry for the long post, I just could not sit here and read all that without posting corrections. Oh and it felt good too :)

07-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Spit your beer in that socialists face and leave the meeting immediately. You don't need to be associated with those two racists. :devil:

07-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I am not usually one to become offended by the comments of politicians, even liberal democrats. But I do not think that the President could have offended me more with his racist and narrow minded response to a situation he had no firsthand knowledge of. Furthermore it was even more disturbing to me that the President of the United States took time to speak publicly about a local event that carried no significance to the country as a whole. I believe that the President damaged the relationship between the police and the public even more based on racist views towards white officers. And likewise the media has turned a simple arrest for disorderly conduct into a snowball media circus. The fact that your area's district attorney dropped the charge, I believe, fuels the fire for minorities to disregard law enforcement officers. Hopefully this will all be corrected in 2012 when Republicans retake the reigns. And, if it were me, I would have declined to meet with the President. All officers know that what he said to begin with was as close to the truth as he will ever come again. You cannot un-ring the bell.

07-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Good job Sarge, I would've done the same thing. I however, wouldn't drink a beer w/either one of those two knuckleheads if ordered to by my sheriff. It's probably to late, but print out these three pages, make two copies and give it to Gates and POTUS.

07-29-2009, 06:04 PM
To South West Florida Deputy--

I don't quite understand how you can argue that American Cop should not make judgements against Sgt. *******'s arrest because American Cop was not there and therefore doesn't have all the facts, while you support the validity of the arrest while you were also not present. You, too, cannot have the aforementioned cake.

07-29-2009, 06:28 PM

I don't quite understand how you can argue that American Cop should not make judgments against Sgt. *******'s arrest because American Cop was not there and therefore doesn't have all the facts, while you support the validity of the arrest while you were also not present. You, too, cannot have the aforementioned cake.

You are right, I was not there, that is why I am supporting his decision that he made on scene. Weather the case was valid or not, I am not trying to dispute. What I do see is that the threshold was met of Probable Cause. I would take the experience of a Sergeant on scene along with his knowledge to make the right call. And from what I have seen of him in the news, he makes a good first impression. What I am doing is backing up an officer.

07-29-2009, 06:56 PM

I don't quite understand how you can argue that American Cop should not make judgments against Sgt. *******'s arrest because American Cop was not there and therefore doesn't have all the facts, while you support the validity of the arrest while you were also not present. You, too, cannot have the aforementioned cake.

You are right, I was not there, that is why I am supporting his decision that he made on scene. Weather the case was valid or not, I am not trying to dispute. What I do see is that the threshold was met of Probable Cause. I would take the experience of a Sergeant on scene along with his knowledge to make the right call. And from what I have seen of him in the news, he makes a good first impression. What I am doing is backing up an officer.

It's fine to back up a fellow officer, but if you decide to side with ******* as a brother/sister without having been at the scene yourself, I don't think you can impugn another's arguement on the basis of not having been there. Your other assertions about American Cop's statement may be valid, but you can't fault his/her arguement without destroying your own if you insist that he/she can't have an opinion without having been there. I don't find anything wrong with contesting AC's conclusions, but I think too many posters accuse others with differing opinions of "not knowing all the facts 'cause they weren't there" and then asserting their own opinions without having been present. Hearing "You weren't there so you don't know," then "I think blah blah blah..." is way too common on these boards. None of us were there, so if we followed that standard, none of us would be able to have an opinion.

07-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I cant believe this has been turned into a race issue!!!!!!What a joke! Can I retract my vote for Obama?

07-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Miami Dade Cop you should have thought about that before you cast your ballot. There was plenty of evidence of his views. 20 yrs in J. Wright's church, his relationship with Bill Ayres, etc. It was all laid out before the election. Now he's showing his true colors. He;s anti cop and anti military!! :devil:

07-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Come on now, getting down to calling the President a racist. As a seasoned COP just look at the statement of the "Police acting stupidely ..." I do not agree with the President's statement but calling him racist is being ignorant and racist yourself.

We have to do a better job of presenting facts because it is not only COPs on this site but the media and citizens.

Stick with the facts and nothing but the facts.

07-30-2009, 07:03 PM
HEY SARGE TAKE A SMALL TAPE RECORDER WITH YOU IF YOU DO DECIDE TO HAVE A BEER WITH THOSE TWO RACISTS.
LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...LOL...

07-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Stay Safe,

Another Florida COP

Hey We "all" dont know that he put a pop charge on the professor. You my friend are an ignorant moron who probably got hired just because you were book smart..ie: NO STREET SMARTS! I am hispanic, and ashamed at Obamas reply to this incident..If you havent guessed it by now, I DIDNT VOTE FOR THIS CLOWN..History tells us that communist countries are the only counties that the president has rule and control over everything..."No checks and balances" This is exactly what we are seeing here. Congress is even upset that Obama acted this way...So open your eyes Obama supporter, and stop talking crap!!...Oh and BTW what the hell is a serg??..oh you mean Sarge?? right??

07-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Come on now, getting down to calling the President a racist. As a seasoned COP just look at the statement of the "Police acting stupidely ..." I do not agree with the President's statement but calling him racist is being ignorant and racist yourself.

We have to do a better job of presenting facts because it is not only COPs on this site but the media and citizens.

You my friend should look up the word racist in the dictionary.....fits Obama to the T....especially when he said in the conference that he was bias.....Thats a "fact"

07-30-2009, 07:36 PM

You my friend should look up the word racist in the dictionary.....fits Obama to the T....especially when he said in the conference that he was bias.....Thats a "fact"
I agree, the president should have kept his mouth shut. On the other side, read what Colin Powell has stated about the entire situation. You can really tell, Powell has the been there,done that mentality. Look in I said what I needed to in the thread titled beers, good luck to my brothers and sisters in Cambridge, I hope you get on with your lives quickly and put this behind you. One last thing, as a transplanted NYer of over 40 years, Manny and Big Poopy did roids! Yankees rule,Red Sox drool....3.5 back and it's gonna get bigger! Buck Foston!!!! ARod don't look that bad now!

07-30-2009, 08:53 PM
I can see both sides but as a veteran officer, I would have walked away once it was determined this was the home owner. We all know not everyone likes us or thinks we are doing a great job. Gates is certainly setting a poor example for young people in particular. But unfortunately, since Obama took office I can't help but notice people of color sorta think they're in charge now. We only elected one Black man to run the country. For the rest of them, a little respect for our profession will do nicely.

Posted in response to the above

When you say "we elected a black man" I have to take exception to that remark. You and others may have elected him but I had nothing to do with it. All the information about Obama was out there before the election and anyone just a little smarter than a fool could have seen what was coming. It only took six months but comes as no surprise to me. The Japanese have a saying that if you want to know a man's character, look to his friends. In Obama's case that would be Wright, Ayers, Dorne and now Gates, not to mention his America adorning wife Michelle. Before I go further let me put something I know you're thinking to rest; if Walter Williams or Thomas Sowell had been a presidential candidate I would have voted for either over John McCain and I'm a republican. At least I was but today I see no difference between the two so I don't know what I am other than pissed. Sergeant ******* has nothing to apologize for and in my view is a stand up person. My only reservation about the outcome of this incident is that of meeting with these buffons for a beer. I would tell them both no thanks. If there's a "racist" to be found in this situation then look no further than Gates and Obama. That's my definition of a "learning moment" because it is what it is. The "because I'm black" excuse doesn't get it with me.

Bar fly
Florida ABT

07-30-2009, 09:07 PM

I don't think I'd want you deciphering evidence at a crime scene because the words "the police acted stupidly" doesn't evidence racisim. That can be found in a person taking sides with one person over the other without knowing the facts which is exactly what the anointed one did. He sided with a black man over a white man and as the truth unfolds, it becomes obvious where (and with whom) the racial alliances are identified.

Texas
07-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Sgt. *******:
You did very will in the news conference. You make the rest of us proud to be cops. And, you showed a lot of patience during the incident. God bless you and the rest of your department.
Palm Beach County FL deputy...

08-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Bar Fly:

Couldn't Obama taking sides with Gates without knowing the facts be interpreted not as one black man blindly siding with another black man but as a fellow academic siding with his friend? Another poster has admittedly sided with ******* without knowing all the facts because he was "backing up a fellow officer." Could Obama's comment represent his loyalty and faith in his friend, and not racism? I personally don't know Obama's motivation behind the "stupid" remark, but I cannot be CERTAIN it was borne of prejudice against whites or police officers. To rabidly assert that Obama is racist because he said ******* "acted stupidly" could be considered just as racist as Gates' initial reflexive declamations that ******* was racist.

08-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Bar Fly,

I have to agree with you. Why are we as cops even coming accross and accusing people of racism. All those Florida cops on this blog are giving the rest of us Florida cops a bad name.

It is imperative we look at all the issues on both sides.

08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Sgt. *******:
You did very will in the news conference. You make the rest of us proud to be cops. And, you showed a lot of patience during the incident. God bless you and the rest of your department.
Palm Beach County FL deputy...

AMEN. I support Sgt. ******* and his agency for their actions. I once was in a very similar situation and the black politician shoved me out his front door and slammed it before I could grab him. THE mayor, the district chief and the state attorney would not prosecute the SOB. Stay strong ******* and Cambridge PD. your brothers and sisters are behind you.

Lenny Briscoe
08-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Sgt. *******,

Keep up the good work!! Never neglect from your duties. This type of thing is nothing new to cops all across the country. Tell Obama to keep his nose out of where it does not belong.

We support you!!!

Lenny Briscoe
Clearwater P.D.
Florida