PDA

View Full Version : Deputy fired?

07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
D/S M.W. from D13 put on his facebook page that the rumors are true and he would tell people about it when he was ready.

someone who knows him said he was fired because he didnt make probation but someone else said he was fired because of other allegations. was he really fired or is there more to the story. does anyone know the real story.

M.W. is a nice guy but he had problems with jupiter when he was there and he apparently caused problems here with the whole investigation in D13. does anyone know.

07-23-2009, 04:37 PM
I am not hear to knock anyone down but I would like to know how all the firings happened. First let me ask has anyone seen the movie a Few good Men? Because I thought that is what we base our actions on.... chain of command. a deputy is ordered and taught what actions to take by his or hers supervisor. So how is it that the deputies got fired and the supervisor who's in charge of his men gets to keep his job? To me he failed as a supervisor and as a leader. Were these deputies following orders or were they free to do as the please? Either way the supervisor failed.

All the guys are good people who just got caught doing something they should have known was wrong.

Later

07-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I am not hear to knock anyone down but I would like to know how all the firings happened. First let me ask has anyone seen the movie a Few good Men? Because I thought that is what we base our actions on.... chain of command. a deputy is ordered and taught what actions to take by his or hers supervisor. So how is it that the deputies got fired and the supervisor who's in charge of his men gets to keep his job? To me he failed as a supervisor and as a leader. Were these deputies following orders or were they free to do as the please? Either way the supervisor failed.

All the guys are good people who just got caught doing something they should have known was wrong.

Later

his reason for termination was because he was engaged in "conduct" in which his sergeant was also involved and even encouraged. the sergeant, however, was given a day suspension and a transfer to boca.

07-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Later

what do you mean... all the firings/ is there more than one person who was fired for this or are you talking about something else.

07-23-2009, 10:48 PM
seems like they move everyone to Boca who gets into trouble T Keith, B Raban maybe they can be partners in crime

07-23-2009, 11:18 PM
seems like they move everyone to Boca who gets into trouble T Keith, B Raban maybe they can be partners in crime

Yeah... Sgt. B.R. is the one who engaging in the activity.

07-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Its Deputy B Raban Not Sgt. to You. or what about C.O.P OFFICER RABAN OR PARKING METER OFFICER RABAN

Diesel
07-24-2009, 06:08 AM
The Sergeant was moved to Dist 9, two of the involved Deputies were fired and one was suspended. Does anyone check the facts prior to posting?

As for following a Supervisor, some things come down to common sense. If a Deputy is unable to see that this particular supervisor is an idiot, then the Deputy has a long way to go in order to prove he has the mental capacity to be in our profession. It is true, the Deputies are probably real nice guys, but come on, it doesn’t take much to realize that the Sergeant is a fool and should not be taken seriously.

I know the Sergeant (well now the Deputy) and I told him to his face that he was not supervisor material and taking the promotion was a mistake. Common Sense Ladies and Gentlemen…………………………..it only takes a little to stay out of trouble.

07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
The Sergeant was moved to Dist 9, two of the involved Deputies were fired and one was suspended. Does anyone check the facts prior to posting?

As for following a Supervisor, some things come down to common sense. If a Deputy is unable to see that this particular supervisor is an idiot, then the Deputy has a long way to go in order to prove he has the mental capacity to be in our profession. It is true, the Deputies are probably real nice guys, but come on, it doesn’t take much to realize that the Sergeant is a fool and should not be taken seriously.

I know the Sergeant (well now the Deputy) and I told him to his face that he was not supervisor material and taking the promotion was a mistake. Common Sense Ladies and Gentlemen…………………………..it only takes a little to stay out of trouble.

The point of this post was to attempt to get facts - sorry I'm not up to speed like some other ones are, but I'm trying. So, M.W. was fired and Sgt. B.R. was demoted... who was the other D/S who got fired and the one who was suspended? If we had all the answers, we would not be posting. Sorry!

Diesel
07-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Just do like I do, I call IA and ask for the details of a completed IA. And if I’m really interested I ask for a copy of the file. It’s all public information and anyone can get a copy of it. I don’t mean to come off harsh sometimes, but it’s so easy to get the facts, it sometimes annoys me when people fill the gossip pool.

07-25-2009, 09:16 PM
The other fired deputy was Lynch. They were fired on the grounds of Failure to Make Probation, though they were only following Sgt. B.R.'s lead in the things for which demoted. The suspended deputy... I don't know which one that one.

It's amusing that before he was demoted for such idiocy, B.R. had taken the testing for the Lt.'s exam. B.R. led these two little lambs to the slaughter (though, Woodside was an officer with about 10 years experience, so he should have known better). Lynch, on the other hand, was simply 22 or so years old and looked up the the person he should have been able to look up to... his Sergeant. he wanted to be motivated, kick arse and take names, but he followed the way his Sgt did it and was fired for it. I personally think Lynch should have been spared and perhaps made to go through a portion of FTO again. It's a shame his career was thrown down the toilet for this tom foolery his Sgt initiated.

So, the Agency fires the one deputy in this mess that could have been rehabilitated and keeps the one who has proven over and over again he should not be a cop, let alone a sergeant. You know how when a violent criminal keeps getting off until he kills someone? I see that coming with the decisions the agency is making and the cops they refuse to fire.

07-25-2009, 09:36 PM
I guess we all should strive to be a perfect cop like you because you do seem to know it all. :cry:

07-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I know enough that a sergeant shouldn't encourage his subordinates to post booking photos of prisoners on Facebook or Myspace and comment how they kicked his arse without doing blueteams or say their chargees fell down some stairs. I do know that a sergeant who does this after getting sent to Belle Glade for stalking a dispatcher should not have a job. if walking around out of uniform in some concoction you have thrown together and encourage your subordinates to do the same is simply rediculous.

If using even a trace of common sense to know these things are wrong and not right makes me a perfect deputy, then yes, you should strive to be perfect. Of course, if you think these simple matters of common sense can only be made by a perfect deputy, perhaps you shouldn't be a deputy... I can't imagine what kind of stuff you are doing.

It's simple common sense and not perfection. There are some things you just don't do. I have to wonder the quality of deputies we have working for the agency that can't even understand what a cop SHOULD do and what he/she SHOULD NOT do. And these are not subject to a matter of opinion. These are substancial things that clearly should not be done. If you, the above poster (or anyone else) cannot determine these items as being right from wrong, you are an idiot and need to find another career.

Diesel
07-27-2009, 12:59 AM
One of the main reasons for the firing was lying during the investigation. That was something the Deputy did all on his own, it was his decision to lie during an investigation.

07-28-2009, 07:10 AM
I know enough that a sergeant shouldn't encourage his subordinates to post booking photos of prisoners on Facebook or Myspace and comment how they kicked his arse without doing blueteams or say their chargees fell down some stairs. I do know that a sergeant who does this after getting sent to Belle Glade for stalking a dispatcher should not have a job. if walking around out of uniform in some concoction you have thrown together and encourage your subordinates to do the same is simply rediculous.

If using even a trace of common sense to know these things are wrong and not right makes me a perfect deputy, then yes, you should strive to be perfect. Of course, if you think these simple matters of common sense can only be made by a perfect deputy, perhaps you shouldn't be a deputy... I can't imagine what kind of stuff you are doing.

It's simple common sense and not perfection. There are some things you just don't do. I have to wonder the quality of deputies we have working for the agency that can't even understand what a cop SHOULD do and what he/she SHOULD NOT do. And these are not subject to a matter of opinion. These are substancial things that clearly should not be done. If you, the above poster (or anyone else) cannot determine these items as being right from wrong, you are an idiot and need to find another career.
Very, Very well said!!

07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/07/28/0728punishment.html

There is also a nice picture of Sgt. Brent Raban wearing his camouflage skullcap emblazoned with the word 'PUNISHMENT.'

Demoted Belle Glade deputy bragged on Facebook: 'I know the areas that hide the marks well'

By MICHAEL LaFORGIA

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sgt. Brent Raban wore a badge and carried a gun issued by the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, but he didn't think of himself as a crime fighter.

Sgt. Brent Raban at a Belle Glade crime scene. He told investigators he was inspired by Batman and The Punisher comic books.

Instead, the seven-year sheriff's office veteran considered himself a punisher on the mean streets of Belle Glade, and he bragged in Internet postings about his prowess in battering the people he arrested, according to an internal investigation released Monday.

Together with two subordinates, Deputies Gregory Lynch and Michael Woodside, Raban would work the streets of the county's western communities, sometimes sporting a camouflage skullcap emblazoned with the word "PUNISHMENT," the investigation determined.

In a region long suspicious of law enforcement, the trio would confront people on street corners and was known to barge into bars, grabbing patrons' drinks and sniffing them for liquor - which was prohibited in some drinking holes, investigators said.

The behavior, which the deputies alluded to in Internet postings on the Facebook social networking site, which they often updated while on duty, earned a demotion for Raban and cost Lynch and Woodside their jobs.

It also led to a criminal investigation, though Chief Assistant State Attorney Paul Zacks ultimately decided not to prosecute, citing a lack of evidence.

"During his time in Belle Glade for calendar year of 2008, Sergeant Brent Raban, through his actions and writings, has shown a general disregard for the PBSO mission as well as for his responsibilities as Road Patrol Supervisor," internal investigators noted, before finding him in violation of 11 department rules and regulations.

Lynch and Woodside each were found to have broken four department rules and recommended for firing.

Screenshots of Raban's Facebook page figured in the investigators' findings.

In a prominent place on Raban's page, the former sergeant typed, "It's not crime fighting ... It's dealing out PUNISHMENT!"

Questioned by internal affairs investigators, Raban said the statement was inspired by his fondness for Batman and The Punisher comic books and had nothing to do with his work as a deputy sheriff.

In other places on his Facebook page, Raban crowed about dealing harshly with the people he arrested, writing in one instance that he roughed up one suspect. "But like a good batterer," he added, "I know the areas that hide the marks well."

"It was a comment I made in extremely bad taste," Raban told investigators later. "It was meant as a joke."

In another instance, he lamented that he was losing his cool because he had gone 14 days without hitting someone.

07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Maybe before you all start running your mouth you should really know the facts! Half of what you are saying is true, the other half, all rumor and gossip fodder! Why don't you really find the facts? Read the report or ask people who really know. What is so interesting too is that you talk trash about Raban but to his face you act like you care or are his friend. Why don't you just show your true colors? Not supervisor material, are you? Why don't you look at the bigger picture here too, these guys have famalies, wives, and small children. Get over yourselves, you are not perfect cops. Most of you are guilty of the same thing!!!

07-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I think it is incredible that people have to bring up that they have wives and families. The officers should have thought about their wives and families before they did these things. If someone commits a crime of murder on the streets to steal food, are you just supposed to say, well they have a wife and family and allow it to happen? I don't think so! The same rules should apply to him regardless. I think he should not have been demoted and then others fired. According to the PB Post...Raban had 11 rules that he broke while the other 2 men had 4 rule violations. They were fired over 4 and he was demoted over 11? He should have been fired! Incredible!

07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
And a direct link to LEOAFFAIRS in the article. Niccccceeeeeee.

07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
So, you don't think that their wives and kids matter? How do YOU support your kids or wife? You are getting your information from the PB Post which just spouts the truth on a daily basis. Half of the information that they have taken is false. Do you even know what the 11 charges were that he was found guilty of? Why was he demoted? That was the Sheriff's decision, if you don't like it ask him. Yes, they made mistakes, but now everyone has to suffer. What kills me too is that if there is an emergency or you need a deputy they come NO MATTER what and help who ever is in need, we forget that so quickly and just talk trash about them. How would you like it if your children needed medical care and you had no health insurance or if you can't pay your mortgage your children have no where to live, that is what they are facing. Yes, they should have thought of all of this, but using Facebook on duty which is what they are mostly accused of is going on right now at PBSO. Everyone is on it on duty, that is a fact. Also, the pictures that the PB Post claim came from Facebook, did NOT. Raban NEVER said he worked for them on his page nor did he put up photos of himself on duty. Get the facts straight before you run your mouth!

07-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Get the facts straight? Well, since the Palm Beach Post is lying and the investigators who found enough evidence to demote this Sergeant are lying, why don't you enlighten us? Why is it that the two deputies deserved to be fired and their families forgotten about when this Sergeant deserves to keep his job and we are supposed to be concerned about his family?

Yes. We are all a "family" and we should watch out for each other. It is our first duty. That being said, the Sergeant is guilty of not watching out for those he should have been guiding, his two subordinates. Now, you want us to watch out for "one of ours" and, if we call a spade a spade, you try to debase and humiliate us with words. Well, we are watching out for ours.

When you put on a uniform, you are representing all of us. Every day you have a choice to honor us or to disgrace us. If that is a burden you can't understand or refuse to take, there are tons of other careers out there. Perhaps even a career where they don't mind if you use Facebook to embarass the entire company.

07-28-2009, 11:52 PM
He apparently wasn't thinking of his wife and children when he did what he has been sustained to have done. What kind of supervisor wears a hat like that in uniform? That's the example he sets? Whether he deserves demotion/termination is clearly not our call, but quit making excuses for behavior you would not condone from a "suspect".

07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I just saw Raban's Facebook as linked on pbpost.com http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/07/28/0728punishment.html?imw=Y

I am truly speechless.

07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I think is a complicated situation. On one hand Facebook is a way for people to share information with other "friends" who usually understand humor and tone of a person. Whether he was joking or not, maybe not the best thing to write. Anything on the internet is public information.

However, I also know police officers get out there every day and protect citizens, help citizens, and come to the rescue (dealing with people at times with nothing to lose) while exposing themselves to dangerous situations. I thank them for what they do because I myself DO NOT have the courage to do what they do!

I know over time, various hectic situations may begin to affect their (police officers) filter of "normal behavior" or "normal humor". I of course mean "normal" in the sense deemed by citizens, those who don't place their lives in danger everyday or see awful situations on a daily basis. I think this is understandable due to their jobs. I would of liked to know the record of arrests or honorable situations these police officers have done to see how much they have contributed in a positive way too. Now these police officers who may be fantastic otherwise have their names striped of honor and family names dishonored.

Why can't we weigh all their good choices and good jobs they have done with a poor choice and see how the chips fall. I think instead of firing or giving demotions first, I think they should have been placed on leave and required counseling and then decided after that. Where is the record of good things too????

07-29-2009, 06:51 PM
This is a prime example of why the Promotional Process is seriously FLAWED....

07-29-2009, 08:44 PM
How about the complete failure of the Command Staff?

What Watch Commander allowed this bozo to go 10-8 looking like that? Its not even a uniform....

Blue Team Failure: No one had a hint that this was going on and covered up?

A complete indicment on the failure of PBSO to properly supervise its people....

Not enough Sgts, LTs...

Keep combining units (CP and Street= one sgt) and saving money....

bunch of accounts we have running this place..

(kicking soapbox)

07-29-2009, 11:44 PM
......embarrassed to be associated with this moron.....

Diesel
07-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Some of you make an excellent point. Why should PBSO care about a Deputy’s wife or children when the Deputy apparently gave them no consideration when acting so foolishly? The Deputies should have thought of their families before acting like fools and making the entire agency appear incapable of performing professionally. Once they're caught and lie during official investigations, then everyone wants to think about the families. What if we applied this logic to our job? Instead of arresting a person who clearly and willfully broke the law, let’s think about his/her family and just take off the handcuffs and let them go. The jails are filled with people with families. Just as they should think about their family prior to committing a crime, we should think about our families (PBSO Family Included) before acting foolishly. This wasn’t a single incident where a momentary lapse of good judgment created a problem; this involved a long period of time, hours of work to put together the facebook, and a daily disregard for our profession.

Very important point, Raban’s father-in-law had no influence in this investigation or the discipline. He is a good man who never lays down a negative word about another Deputy, let’s show him the respect he deserves and keep him out of this.

07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe before you all start running your mouth you should really know the facts! Half of what you are saying is true, the other half, all rumor and gossip fodder! Why don't you really find the facts? Read the report or ask people who really know. What is so interesting too is that you talk trash about Raban but to his face you act like you care or are his friend. Why don't you just show your true colors? Not supervisor material, are you? Why don't you look at the bigger picture here too, these guys have famalies, wives, and small children. Get over yourselves, you are not perfect cops. Most of you are guilty of the same thing!!!

Fact is Raban is an idiot...he didn't think about his wife/family when he was playing with the dispatcher (he was NOT stalking her, she was a VERY willing participant, as usual)! He didn't think about his wife/family when he was out in BG actin' a fool ... since when do we have uniforms that look like what he wears??? Since when do we post on a public website how we like to hurt people (deserving or not), how it has been so many days since we... then to make subordinates feel 'well if he does it on the web...' LOL now let's go find and do what we want and then hide it with no Blue Team...but we'll post it for all to see. Yup, he is a Brain Surgeon! Well at least he will, maybe, learn sumtin now with the nice cut in his paycheck, from Sgt to Deputy. So, did he think about his family now???!!!

We have enuf of a problem with the general citizen seeing us in a good/positive light, trusting us, wanting to be pro-active with us and here he goes and flushes it down the toilet cuz he is soooo cool ! He is an embarrassment to the agency! As for the other 2 that were fired... I do think that Lynch could have been saved, he was young, fresh and cud have been trained Correctly (not how dipso Raban did)... as for Woodside, he apparently never got it. As he was a cop for 10 yrs or so he really shud have known better, he was a troubled child in his other host city before coming here he shud have learned from that and strove to be better here and diminish his reputation from earlier years.

07-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Look - Raban was and is an idiot.

He is married - his own wife filed a complaint with PBSO because she caught him screwing a 19 year old IN HIS PATROL CAR. Raban has been married for years...two kids...he wouldn't have been written up for sending sexually explicit IM's from his patrol car if he was sending them to his wife. No Raban finds all those deer in the headlights chicks that have a uniform . and he gets to act out his fantasy - that he IS somebody.

So to that person that said, oh he has a wife and kids...spare me the sympathy, he is pathetic.

He is a scumbag. PLain and simple. His poor wife...and to think it is her father who bailed his ass out with Bradshaw so he wouldnt get fired. Hell, Palm Beach Post says PBSO spokeman says arbitration hearing would be expensive, blah, blah, blah, The father used to be in the violent crimes division and is a pal of Bradshaw's...anyone know his name, it escapes me at the moment.

He stalked that poor dispatcher to get busted out to the Glades - now he 's is last chance'd out to Royal Palm? WTF?

Bradshaw has been unavailable to comment on this matter for the last 2 days...hmmm...don't say anything and hope it goes away..it isn't going anywhere. They send Raban to D9...please...just a matter of time before he steps in it again.

Raban tells IA that he idolized Batman and the Punisher cartoons..give me a break..who is he some junior league avenger?

He is the worst kind of cop. Likes the power of the badge with none of the responsibilty that comes with it. He thought he was above the law...better than anyone else, could do what he wanted...you know the type...arrogant, ****y...a loser in life that turns into "wonder boy" when he straps on a gun.

He'll talk about code and honor and having each others backs...he told his men to lie, they did because the Sarg told them too...and they get the hook for not being truthful. Let's see,he had lied to IA, to his supervisor, to his men, to his wife, and to the public he swore to protect. That makes him a LIAR. Untrustworthy, not suitable for duty - ANYWHERE!

Should Raban lose his job, most definately. Did Bradshaw give him grossly preferential treatment...without a doubt. This is cronyism...there is a pattern with Raban...he doesn't have a grasp of reality...he is like a brain damaged, growth stunted teenager.

He should be taken in to the Glades, dropped off in the hood wearing nothing but that unauthorized PUNISHMENT cap and let him serve and protect the citizens he swore to take care of. Let's see who gives the punishment then. Poetic justice in my book.

I hope Willie Gary represents these guys posted on Raban's facebook page...I hope he files a suit that Raban violated their civil rights...and then let's see which one is more expensive...an arbitraiton hearing to boot Raban or the millions Gary will get out of the city for this numbskull.

There are MANY fantastic LEO's in Palm Beach county. Those of you that know Raban don't shed a tear. Now everyone knows Raban and he stains each of you...how sad is that.

08-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Well they got them three bad cops bullies that will be in FEDERAL Court soon But where were the LT's BAD BOYS BAD BOYS WHAT YOU GOING TO DO WHEN FIRE YOU? KFC, WENDIES, Walmart ECT>>>>>>>>>

08-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Deputy Raban doesnt deserve to go to district 9. I heard he is probably not going there anyways. He is gonna be put somewhere so he can be watched like a hawk.

08-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Raban better start practicing for this new gig..."Do you want fries with that?"

Well they got them three bad cops bullies that will be in FEDERAL Court soon But where were the LT's BAD BOYS BAD BOYS WHAT YOU GOING TO DO WHEN FIRE YOU? KFC, WENDIES, Walmart ECT>>>>>>>>>

08-02-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm wondering why Bradshaw and Gauger don't just assign Raban into HQ as Bradshaw's adjutant.........they both seem to have the same kind of knowledge and ability to do their assigned tasks. Together, they could destroy the PBSO even faster.

08-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Why are you dragging his wife and father in law into this? Get your facts straight. His wife NEVER filed a complaint against Raban for screwing a 19 year old? How do you know that actually happened? His wife's father had NOTHING to do with the investigation and is NOT a buddy of Bradshaw's. He had NO influence in the investigation if you read some of the other posts! Don't talk trash about his family when you really don't know what you are talking about. If you want to know the truth, why don't you go do a public records request and read the IA report yourself. Then maybe you could run your mouth with some truth rather than lies.

08-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Did any body else hear the district 3 dispatcher last Saturday when she pulled a, "Checking the channel for D/S Raban.................." ? She must have lost a bet. I know it's childish, but it made me laugh. :snicker:

08-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Did any body else hear the district 3 dispatcher last Saturday when she pulled a, "Checking the channel for D/S Raban.................." ? She must have lost a bet. I know it's childish, but it made me laugh. :snicker:

I'm sure it was legitimate. He was either too preoccupied getting into his Superhero's uniform to listen to his radio OR he was in the middle of a movie... :devil:

08-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Raban has a look on his face like he is about to cry all the time. Now he has something to cry about. :lol:

08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Glad you all revel in someone else's misery...Raban made a huge mistake and is now paying for it. Ever make one yourself?

08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Glad you all revel in someone else's misery...Raban made a huge mistake and is now paying for it. Ever make one yourself?

Raban didn't make a mistake. forgetting to submit a filing package is a mistake. Forgetting to go to court is a mistake. Beating minorities and then advertising that fact on Facebook is NOT a mistake. Raban made the conscience choice to let EVERYBODY on his facebook and all of their friends know what kind of activities in which he was engaging and was PROUD of it. The only mistake he made is that someone turned him in or else he would still be engaging in his course of conduct, recruiting more deputies to participate and bring even more of them down when finally caught.

Like Raban's conduct, the Sheriff NOT firing him is NOT a mistake. The Sheriff had the opportunity to look at the IA file, look to see what kind of deputy Raban is and still made the call to keep Raban. One day, when Raban does something REALLY bad and the people demand to know why it happened, the Sheriff will have to look at the victims and tell them he could have fired him, but decided not to do so for whatever reason. The Sheriff's job is to protect the public; a job for which he is paid hansomely but a job at which he has failed to do. Bradshaw has told everyone it's okay for a monster to work for PBSO, as long as I say so. In fact, I'm surprised he's not actively recruiting for inmates to work along side of you in uniform.

So, that sums it up. Raban is not a mistake maker - he's a monster wearing a green uniform and hiding amongst all of you that do their best to earn the respect of citizens. The only upside is now, those who didn't know how Raban was before will know how he is now.

08-04-2009, 01:29 PM

and how is that different from the suspect's misery he reveled in when he had them arrested? Oh yeah... because the case against Raban is actually fact unlike the suspects arrest reports. Nice try.

08-04-2009, 02:39 PM
So I guess everyone has done a public records request and read the IA report? Even the PB Post wrote this weekend that no excessive force was substaniated. Even the arrestees interviewed agreed. I think we should all read the final report instead of listening to all the rumors. Have you ever worked with Raban? He just had a big mouth and acted like a moron. Now he is paying for it and then some along with his family. The Sheriff kept him for a reason, maybe because he is being made the example of what not to do at PBSO for those of you who are doing some of the same dumb things. On PB Post.com you can read the eleven findings from the IA report, most of them discuss improper use of Facebook, not beating people.

08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I did a web search on the deputy you have all spoke of, Dougan. He actually has a website of pics from Belle Glade under photo journalism that actually speak a thousand words of what people here on this coast could never understand. I have never been to Belle Glade at night and could never imagine what you all have faced. After looking at these pictures I probably never will. The struggles the town people face on a daily basis screams through in these pictures which I can only imagine make the job of the deputies out there that MUCH HARDER and STRESSFUL. While I do not agree at all with what Sgt. Raban has done, I can see how this city changes people's thinking and personalities. Is counseling offered to all officers out there? And how long is each officer assigned to this area? Can it be limited to avoid the stress burnout? I cannot imagine the stressful situations you face there on a nightly basis, and can only imagine the stress you bring back to your homes and families. The 2 Deputies that were fired, my understanding is 1 was brand new. Was this his first assignment? If so I would like to see him given a second chance after counseling and relocated and trained in an area suited for a new officer...not started in an area where major experience as a law enforcement officer is needed. No Deputies should start their careers there...not until they are seasoned. God be with you ALL in these trying times. Please stand together and hold your heads high. The men and women who wear the green and gold are brave individuals who deserve the utmost respect despite the FEW individuals who don't deserve those colors. Every profession and walk of life has a few people who don't belong mixed in, Law Enforcement is no different. Be Safe. http://www.jmdougan.com/Galleries/belleglade/index.html

08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
RAYBAN is a Disgrace! He should of been fired! His problems stem back to his FTO days when he was failed by Cpl. Forman. He should of been fired back than... He is a child and shouldn't even be an explorer let alone a cop!!!!!!!!!

08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Did you say "Explorer"...........OMG....No, the deputy that oversaw the Explorers has been in jail for a few years now. ONLY IN PBSO!!! DOES ANYONE THINK IT MIGHT BE...JUST MAYBE....TIME FOR A GOOD HOUSECLEANING??

08-05-2009, 12:26 AM
FACT:
Raban was an Explorer for Lantana PD when he blasted the Bad Boys theme from his Toyota Corolla in the early 90's!

08-05-2009, 04:52 AM
One issue that has not been addressed is the fact that it was clearly "INFERRED" that the Western Community needed to be dealt with by example and message needed to be sent to the undesirables. The Sergeants of the street teams were given a tremendous amout of discretion with regard to complaints and tactics during the Gang Busters Era. Now that these savages see a payday at the end of the tunnel, they crawl out from under the rocks. Disrespect, blatant refusal to cooperate much less communicate and a culture of defiance and a predatory mentality has been engrained into these people's DNA. A very high majority of the people act as if they are living in a third world country. The fact is there are entire generations with accumulated IQ's only in the double digits so what more do you expect. What we are dealing with is a bunch of junk DNA that is being mixed and shared combined with a cultural up-bringing of defiance, entitlement, laziness, hate and rage. This will never change and in 50 years, there will be a couple more generations of retards believing they deserve a handout or free ride in life moping around for their next victim. If there is a trial anywhere, I hope the higher ranks know that their lack of supervision, direction and strategies will be severly tested. Yes, what these deputies did was immature, irresponsible and a discredit to the agency but someone or some policy cultivated the problem. It is clear that those with rank get a pass and the crumb snatchers at the bottom pay the price. Some with rank are gonna get drug and body slammed over the coals in court on this one and it will be hard for them to point fingers...

08-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I did a web search on the deputy you have all spoke of, Dougan. He actually has a website of pics from Belle Glade under photo journalism that actually speak a thousand words of what people here on this coast could never understand. I have never been to Belle Glade at night and could never imagine what you all have faced. After looking at these pictures I probably never will. The struggles the town people face on a daily basis screams through in these pictures which I can only imagine make the job of the deputies out there that MUCH HARDER and STRESSFUL. While I do not agree at all with what Sgt. Raban has done, I can see how this city changes people's thinking and personalities. Is counseling offered to all officers out there? And how long is each officer assigned to this area? Can it be limited to avoid the stress burnout? I cannot imagine the stressful situations you face there on a nightly basis, and can only imagine the stress you bring back to your homes and families. The 2 Deputies that were fired, my understanding is 1 was brand new. Was this his first assignment? If so I would like to see him given a second chance after counseling and relocated and trained in an area suited for a new officer...not started in an area where major experience as a law enforcement officer is needed. No Deputies should start their careers there...not until they are seasoned. God be with you ALL in these trying times. Please stand together and hold your heads high. The men and women who wear the green and gold are brave individuals who deserve the utmost respect despite the FEW individuals who don't deserve those colors. Every profession and walk of life has a few people who don't belong mixed in, Law Enforcement is no different. Be Safe. http://www.jmdougan.com/Galleries/belleglade/index.html

With all of the media coverage I like many aren't particularly happy right now, and are a little discouraged. Civilians really have no clue about real life, and that’s ok because that means we are doing our job. I forget sometimes that there are people out there (very few) that appreciate the difficult job it is holding that line so that that civilians can go on with their day to day life not having to know, or think about what is potentially lurking around the corner. You are 100% correct, law enforcement has a better average of "bad apples" than any other occupation, and I believe the most recent study was less that 1%.

NOT TO MAKE EXCUSES for what has transcended recently, but it was nice to hear that a citizen stopped to think about the mental and physical aspect of our job instead of jumping on the band wagon and just slamming all of us for the vast minority.

Thank you, your comments have gone a long way, at least for me, I wish we had more people like you who support us. Its people like you why I do what I do every day.
:D

08-05-2009, 10:17 PM
First of all, I'm predujest. Gregory Lynch is my step-grandson. But before that, I was the long time wife of a MP.... And it seems like, in the military, you just do what your immediate superior tells you to do. And that's what Greg did. End of story. And no one is more incsensed that that stocking capped idiot is out there, with a job, while Greg is TERMINATED, than I am. IMHO, you lost a really nice, 24 year old kid. But you kept the AH. Where was it he was transferred to? I intend to make a particular point of staying out of there.... I do not care to be beaten in places where the marks don't show.
Sincerely,
Dianne Lynch

08-06-2009, 02:12 AM
First of all, I'm predujest. Gregory Lynch is my step-grandson. But before that, I was the long time wife of a MP.... And it seems like, in the military, you just do what your immediate superior tells you to do. And that's what Greg did. End of story. And no one is more incsensed that that stocking capped idiot is out there, with a job, while Greg is TERMINATED, than I am. IMHO, you lost a really nice, 24 year old kid. But you kept the AH. Where was it he was transferred to? I intend to make a particular point of staying out of there.... I do not care to be beaten in places where the marks don't show.
Sincerely,
Dianne Lynch

Dianne,

I COULD NOT agree with you MORE. I worked with Lynch, Woodside and Raban and say Lynch was a young, impressionable deputy who wanted nothing more to impress his sergeant. The fact he was fired while the real culprit was kept was a dispicable decision on the part of the Sheriff. Apparently, Greg was not as well connected at Raban.

I agree... Lynch followed his Sergeant and was crucified for it. I personally think he's a great young man and should be put back on duty. If the Sheriff wants to make sure things are good, parhaps put him through the last phase of FTO again to make sure bad Raban habits are out of his system.

08-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Lynch..... isnt that the Nuremberg trials Defense?

My supervisor told me to lie in my Probable Cause.....

yeah... he's toast.

08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
yeah, it's not a great defense, but how about this: Raban had to have knowlege Lynch took credit for his arrest. This being the case, he's just as guilty as lying as Lynch. He just didn't put it on paper. He let Lynch put it on paper and let Lynch hang himself. Where was Raban when Lynch was getting in trouble? Covering his own ass and letting Lynch take the fall.

08-06-2009, 08:18 PM
What also sucks for the two that were fired is that once you are TERMINATED from law enforcement its next to impossible to get back in. I really hope these guys land on their feet.

08-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Can we just move on from this? I'm over it already!

08-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Lynch need to contest this firing. He is a good young man that lost his job cause of his sergeant's failures. This creep gets to stay on the job with no suspension or punishment just loosing his chevrons. This creep cost two young men there jobs and he might not suffer much at all. He may go for promotional testing next time it is offered cause he is elagible. Suspension days would have taking care of that but the sheriff was more interested in firing these two young men instead of punishing the punisher who abuses us in Belle Glade.

08-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks to everybody who responded to my post about Greg Lynch. I don't know what happened other than what I read in the Palm Beach Post. I do know a lot about what it's like to be like 22-24, and caring more to please your peers and the people writing your paychecks than being who you really are... I thank the lord every day that my mother went to her grave never knowing most of the things I chose to do in my 22to-24 year old wisdom.... No, Greg has no particular political pull in Palm Beach County.(Wish this had happened in ST Lucie County...) Nobody in the Lynch family has any particular pull, although it was a 5 generation LEO family. And this will likely be my last post, since I have no business being here, being not a LEO. In fact, were the truth to be known, I worked 10 years of my career in a law office that had a big succesful win against the the the city of Rochester, NY for a beating against someone just like Sgnt. Rabun... 2.5 mil... A lot in 1964. and our victim was a poor black guy who pumped gas at a gas station..our best witness was the owner who who testified against a vicious person on the police force...( Actually, the only actual Police Officer we ever had an issue with in those 10 years, the rest were points of law) The rest we dealt with were pretty nice. My point is, your sheriff is an idiot for keeping this Rabun. It's going to cost the county big bucks one day, and not in 1964 dollars. Any county who thinks an appropriate uniform for a police officer is looking for big trouble. They'll get it, someday, someway

08-08-2009, 03:32 AM
And, I ran out of space... My main interest in being here was just to say thanks to those of you who have understood Gregory's situation. Geeze, in my civillian career, I might have thought of a lot of ways to do things differently... But the rule was, you do what your supervisor tells you to do...or else.... out the door... When do you ever get to complain about your immediate supervisor,to his supervisor, especially if he has pull? Anyway, I really did mean to say thanks to those of you who support Greg. (Yes, he will fight this, and if he needs our support, he's got it.) But also, thanks to all you LEO's that have shown up here and supported the rights of us civillans. The crime stats in my neighborhood is 53% of the national average, and I do know who I have to thank for that, YOU.All you good guys. And, I might add, be careful what you say here unless you're sure you can hide your identities...This site is apparently as accessable as Facebook... Otherwise I would not be here posting.After all, it was Facebook that got exposed. If you ever want a place where you can post to each other in privacy, you can contact Greg's Grandad and I at woollett@bellsouth.net. We'll give you the site. We won't pry, we won't comment,, and we won't reveal where you are... You'll just have to work around a bunch of stock traders and some female hangers on.. No I am not one of the hangers on...
Thanks for your time, cover your butts... Dianne Lynch

08-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Lynch was fired, but the other Lynch is just as bad. He should have been fierd a long time ago also. all he does is ride around all night and do nothuing. The sheriff made a start with one Lynch, but needs to get rid of the w/c Lynch

08-11-2009, 06:21 AM
I sit and wonder..how do some people get through the psych and polygraph portion of the hiring process..
DS Raban..did this to himself because of his ego, his better than god image of himself..he gets "PUNISHED" for stalking a dispatcher and gets sent to THE GLADES..AKA PBSO DUMPING GROUND..wow..I am sick and tired of people getting moved to the Glades when they get into trouble..there are acutally cops who have worked hard in the Glades been ones who live out there THAT ARE PROUD TO BE OUT THERE..good Deputies..The Glades should not be used as punishment. ANYHOW..Raban going out there basically set the relationship between citizens and Law Enforcement back 10 years. For him to go out there and disprespect that community..post what he has on his facebook LIKE DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH people were not going to see that??? In his mind he really believed posting what he did.. photos, comments about how "he has gone 14 days without beating someone so somethings wrong"..ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? What kind of human being is this? He should be freaking ashamed of himself. HE SHOULD BE FIRED..HE WAS THE SGT. The ones the other two were looking up to. end of story. Now Raban is working somewhere else in this county..he is NOT at Royal Palm Beach..he was there about a day and the Town high ups there said NO WAY..he will not work in our town. How can he face his family??
Next..Woodside..a very Christian spiritual person...married man with kids..LIVING IN THE GLADES!!! He had trouble when he worked in his previous departments..last one was Jupiter....he gets a chance of a lifetime..by getting hired at PBSO finally..and he posts the crap he did on facebook?? I SAW IT! He KNOWS BETTER..he is a grown man..LIKE HE DID NOT KNOW WHAT HE WAS DOING WAS WRONG?? bullcrap. NO excuses...he is a man of god he has worked in this field before..he has been through it at his previous jobs..come on..he was not blind. Next Lynch..young..sure, inexpierenced..sure STUPID?? NO!!! He knew right from wrong too..are you kidding me? His family is in Law Enforcement..HIGH UP TOO..he knew the oath he took. He knew right from wrong.
I am tired of these excuses..how about having integrity..character, all the things you swore you had and would honor when you got into this awesome line of work. I just cannot believe some of the things they put out for public to see..to know that they felt the way they did..they are no better than the people they have arrested. end of story

08-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Hi. Panagioti Tsolkas from the City of Lake Worth and a member of the Palm Beach Global Justice Group and co-chair of the Palm Beach County Environmental Coalition. Contact can be made at PBCEnviroCoalition@gmail.com. I am providing the link here to the Lake Worth Area COPWATCH homepage.

Any deputy or former city officer that wants to reach COPWATCH is welcomed to contact through the webpage. Please visit.

http://lwacopwatch.blogspot.com/2009/08/sgt-brent-raban-reveals-true-face-of.html

Lake Worth Area COPWATCH Mission Statement
LWAC’s mission is to monitor police activity, on both a street and a policy level, with a focus on: police brutality and killings; racial and political profiling; suppression of constitutional rights; and violation of grassroots community activists.

The group was formed in response to the conflict that arose in the City of Lake Worth over a loss of accountability and local control of law enforcement. In summer 2008, residents of the the City acted in the public interest to keep their our local Police Department. These residents, and the elected officials who supported them, lost the vote. Due to the personal interests of the police unions and the political maneuvering of the local elite, LWPD would be absorbed by the Palm Beach County Sheriff.

In the same week, the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Ruben Debrosse occurred in Royal Palm Beach. Only two years prior, Royal Palm's Police Department had also been absorbed by the Sheriff. The town will have little-to-no say in the ongoing investigation...

After decades of working on the constant process of police accountability, race relations and civil liberties in Lake Worth (which involved the removal of a one police chief), we have lost much of the ground we gained, due to the Sheriff merger.

WE REFUSE TO WAIT FOR THE SHERIFF TO KILL A CHILD IN OUR COMMUNITY! Now more than ever in Lake Worth we feel we must stay vigilant.

-We demand an independent Community Review Board for acts of misconduct or aggression.

-We demand full justice for all who have been mistreated, denied rights, beaten or lost loved ones at the hands of law enforcement.

While our efforts are focused on the Lake Worth and the surrounding areas. We feel that, as Dr. M.L. King said: "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

We will extend our activities across the great Palm Beach and Treasure Coast region, and even participate in activities relevant to our mission across the Country, and beyond.

08-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Tsolkas,

you are only mad because you were arrested by PBSO at a protest and were sentenced to 60 days in jail. you are nothing but a domestic terrorist and need to keep your nose out of our buisness. you and your girlfriend jennings are up set because she cant threaten a PBSO D/S like she could threaten a LW Officer. You have no clue what police work is like and you are not a hero, so please take your smelly protestor friends and go take a shower!!!!!!

08-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Tsolkas,

you are only mad because you were arrested by PBSO at a protest and were sentenced to 60 days in jail. you are nothing but a domestic terrorist and need to keep your nose out of our buisness. you and your girlfriend jennings are up set because she cant threaten a PBSO D/S like she could threaten a LW Officer. You have no clue what police work is like and you are not a hero, so please take your smelly protestor friends and go take a shower!!!!!!

Amen. Tsolkas is a joke along with his girlfriend. Lake Worth is much better served now than ever before. A city commissioner or Mayor should not be allowed to have any control over law enforcement. Yet they always stick their nose where it does not belong which leads to cover ups and way too much control. Also, Tsolkas keep your mouth shut and don't comment about the Royal Palm Shooting. The D/S who fired is a great DS who was in fear of his life. That "kid" tried to run over a Deputy. Get off our site you are not welcome here.

12-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Did you enjoy your holidays?

With the season of humanity and giving I ask you again for help.

Yes your help. Please hear me out and have an open mind to judge carefully, but fairly.

As we approach 2010 what can we all do together to recognize there are things in our community, our local government, and our society that need to be looked at for change.

So many people want to quickly label a person with a hateful comment and not look at what are issues in our community that need leaders within all of us to bring change.

I am willing. Are you?

I have come to know many police officers and I recognize there are general differences in principle and practice among many who wear the uniform defending the citizenry, but try to understand there are also many in American history who also defended the citizenry who didn't wear a uniform. Some are Abraham Lincoln, Susan B. Anthony, Dr. ML King, Jr, W. E. B. Du Bois, Malcolm X, Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, Roy Wilkins, Rosa Parks, Harvey Milk, but there are many others.

To make change we have to come together in 2010.

This is why I am asking you to help your own department help itself and each other, while helping citizens of Lake Worth and Palm Beach County who have been victimized by our social injustices and undercurrent of institutional bias.

Now that I have you as a partner let me say a winter season "Hello" to you my friends. I am Panagioti Tsolkas from the City of Lake Worth and a member of the Palm Beach Global Justice Group and co-chairperson of the Palm Beach County Environmental Coalition.

Contact can be made at PBCEnviroCoalition@gmail.com.

I am providing the link here again to the Lake Worth Area COPWATCH homepage.

Any police officer or deputy or former Lake Worth city officer or civilian Sheriff Dept employee that wants to reach COPWATCH is welcomed to contact through the webpage. Please visit us. I know you'll feel better knowing we can make a difference. A change. A change we all can believe in.

YOUR COMMUNITY NEEDS YOU.

http://lwacopwatch.blogspot.com/2009/08/sgt-brent-raban-reveals-true-face-of.html

Lake Worth Area COPWATCH Mission Statement

LWAC’s mission is to monitor police activity, on both a street and a policy level, with a focus on: police brutality and killings; racial and political profiling; suppression of constitutional rights; and violation of grassroots community activists.

The group was formed in response to the conflict that arose in the City of Lake Worth over a loss of accountability and local control of law enforcement. In summer 2008, residents of the the City acted in the public interest to keep their our local Police Department. These residents, and the elected officials who supported them, lost the vote. Due to the personal interests of the police unions and the political maneuvering of the local elite, LWPD would be absorbed by the Palm Beach County Sheriff.

In the same week, the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Ruben Debrosse occurred in Royal Palm Beach. Only two years prior, Royal Palm's Police Department had also been absorbed by the Sheriff. The town will have little-to-no say in the ongoing investigation...

After decades of working on the constant process of police accountability, race relations and civil liberties in Lake Worth (which involved the removal of a one police chief), we have lost much of the ground we gained, due to the Sheriff merger.

WE REFUSE TO WAIT FOR THE SHERIFF TO KILL A CHILD IN OUR COMMUNITY! Now more than ever in Lake Worth we feel we must stay vigilant.

We demand an independent Community Review Board for acts of misconduct or aggression.

We demand full justice for all who have been mistreated, denied rights, beaten or lost loved ones at the hands of law enforcement.

While our efforts are focused on the Lake Worth and the surrounding areas. We feel that, as Dr. M.L. King said: "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

We will extend our activities across the great Palm Beach and Treasure Coast region, and even participate in activities relevant to our mission across the Country, and beyond.

12-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Cant help but laugh, your objective is stimulus Monies.. Just admit, its all about your cutting in to funds. Other objectives is to give cover to gangs, and allow criminals movement under the so called objectives.