PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hour Shifts

06-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Well boys and girls what do you think about the 12 hour shift.......??????

06-24-2009, 07:10 AM
It depends on how they do it. If it happens, I wonder how much input we'll get in deciding how the schedules are arranged.

06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't know if it would be widely accepted, but what about 3 twelve hour shifts, and the remaining four hours (on the fourth day) be used towards some type of task force like cracking down on the racing out west, or surveillance for daytime burglaries? Maybe 4 hours of working with DB or traffic for Officers that wish to get into those fields. Or perhaps you could have three Officers divy up a shift. Either way, it shouldn't be like the Whiskey units where these Officers may be in the area of a call holding and just don't respond to help out Patrol since they're doing their own thing. I know it may sound good, but the majority will abuse that 4 hours to do what ever it is they want. Those are the ones who need a stricter schedule. Two or three times of not answering the radio, or responding as a backup or handling calls that are holding when they're in the area requires some type of discipline.

06-25-2009, 01:35 AM
If we have to do it which seams to be what the word is here is how coconut creek does it. I got this from one of there officers and this is the agency the administration looked at. This is a creek officers take on it.

At first, working 12 hrs seems some what overwhelming but the positives definately outweigh the negatives: We work 14 days a month in a forty-two hour work week (two extra hours of straight time) with a three day weekend every other week. Example of bi-weekly schedule: Mon (on) Tues (on) Wed (off) Thur (off) Fri (on) Sat (on) Sun (on) Mon (off) Tues (off) Wed (on) Thur (on) Fri (off) Sat (off) Sun (off). The shift goes by rather fast when you factor in an hour 40 with two fifteen minute 10s.

I would highly recommend the 12 hour shift. I hope this helped.CREEK PD

06-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Thats a greeat idea, lets let an officer sit for four hours doing nothing every week. lets see what would scopa do with the 4 hours. the admin will never let that happen.

06-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Thats a greeat idea, lets let an officer sit for four hours doing nothing every week. lets see what would scopa do with the 4 hours. the admin will never let that happen.

As I've already said, people who skate calls and do nothing need to be punished in some sort of way. Officers who continously call in sick when a shift is short need to lose two days of time or be forced to work a day for free. "He's phuCkin' crazy" is probably the thought running through most of your minds. The truth is that most of the people calling in sick when we're short (forcing us to pay overtime), do so continuously. Start forcing them to pay two days for one, and I guarantee it'll slow down if not stop the overtime pay outs.

If you continuously do absolutley nothing for the 4 hours, then you will either ride with a proactive Officer or show up to their scenes and handle the reports, recordings, and any paperwork that needs to be completed. This will keep more proactive Officers on the road as long as possible, which should (in turn) keep more crime off of our streets. This method keeps our go-getters on the hunt and tied up as little as possible, while our sluggish Officers complete the paperwork and will essentially be considered as "mobile secretaries". Since the PBA has kept these slugs employed by us for all of their years of service, I can almost guarantee that some will be forced to retire early or leave all together before they vest or drop. Most of these guys/gals don't wanna deal with the bu!!$#!t.
Sianara. Hasta luego. Farewell, and have fun. We have some stories of you and your so-called work ethics and accomplishments, but not many. Take care, live long and prosper. Leave this line of work since it's plainly not meant for you.

06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
12 hour shifts suck, plain and simple. The only cost saving measures are due to lessened manpower which in effect reduces your Officer Safety. Stop hiring people instead. Do we really need a couple more 19 year olds?

Think, before you drink the Kool Aid.

06-27-2009, 11:15 PM
12 hour shifts suck, plain and simple. The only cost saving measures are due to lessened manpower which in effect reduces your Officer Safety. Stop hiring people instead. Do we really need a couple more 19 year olds?

Think, before you drink the Kool Aid.

Yeah, favors being done at your expense. When have we ever hired 19 year olds.....Never, til some favors needed to be repaid. Ask the Chief why the sudden change of heart? 21 instead of 19? It kept a lot of better qualified people away than the two presently being hired.

Bet they're in the Bureau before you.

Remember you heard it here first.

06-28-2009, 04:52 AM
Hey, look on the bright side! These two guys could go under cover in Flanagan and West Broward High. It will be just like 21 Jump Street. The only problem I see is that the kids that were Juniors when they were Seniors will still be there and could blow their cover.

06-30-2009, 12:54 AM
If we have to do it which seams to be what the word is here is how coconut creek does it. I got this from one of there officers and this is the agency the administration looked at. This is a creek officers take on it.

At first, working 12 hrs seems some what overwhelming but the positives definately outweigh the negatives: We work 14 days a month in a forty-two hour work week (two extra hours of straight time) with a three day weekend every other week. Example of bi-weekly schedule: Mon (on) Tues (on) Wed (off) Thur (off) Fri (on) Sat (on) Sun (on) Mon (off) Tues (off) Wed (on) Thur (on) Fri (off) Sat (off) Sun (off). The shift goes by rather fast when you factor in an hour 40 with two fifteen minute 10s.

I would highly recommend the 12 hour shift. I hope this helped.CREEK PD

CREEK PD thanks for the info. Not sure what kind of schedule you guys had before they made you work the 12 hours shifts, or if you ever had 3 day weekends before. Here in Pines, we already have the 3 day weekends for 6mos out of the year. For most of us, 12 shifts are more of a disruption to our personal schedules than a benefit. Hopefully, this wont be forced on us, but the way things look, who knows?

Stay safe

06-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Hey, look on the bright side! These two guys could go under cover in Flanagan and West Broward High. It will be just like 21 Jump Street. The only problem I see is that the kids that were Juniors when they were Seniors will still be there and could blow their cover.

u kiddin? You could put 30 year olds in there and they would fit right in....have you seen those students lately?
The 19 year olds can work the middle schools.

07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
YEA, YOU THINK THESE 19 Y/Os ARE BAD. YOU SHOULD SEE THE FEW WE HAVE IN THE ACAD NOW. COMPLETLEY USELESS. HOPEFULLY WE CAN FAIL THEM OUTTA FTO.

07-07-2009, 04:26 AM
just so you know, they wont behiring anyone rite now because if we go to the new 12h shift then they will need less officers and when officers leave they will not be replacing them

07-12-2009, 02:42 PM
There are a few ways to schedule 12 hour shifts. Option 1 - Coconut Creek (also used by Lauderhill and Miami Gardens) method described above with rotating days off, but everyone would have a 3 day weekend every other week. Option 2 - Fixed Days Off - If shift picks are done by seniority, then your senior guys will like this, but the newer guys will not. One Platoon will work Mon-Thur week one and Mon-Wed week two. The other Platoon would work Fri-Sun week one and Thur-Sun week two. Of course, the fixed days could be tweaked some to allow both platoons to have a partial weekend off. Option 3 - Four days on and four days off. West Palm Beach method. The downside to this is always working four days in a row, which can be very tiring. These shifts can also be modified to an 11.5 hour shift, where you only work 80.5 hours in a 14 day cycle. The facts are that compared to a traditional 5/2 schedule, you get 78 more days off per year. Compared to a 4/10 schedule, you get 26 more days off per year (extra month).

07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
There are a few ways to schedule 12 hour shifts. Option 1 - Coconut Creek (also used by Lauderhill and Miami Gardens) method described above with rotating days off, but everyone would have a 3 day weekend every other week. Option 2 - Fixed Days Off - If shift picks are done by seniority, then your senior guys will like this, but the newer guys will not. One Platoon will work Mon-Thur week one and Mon-Wed week two. The other Platoon would work Fri-Sun week one and Thur-Sun week two. Of course, the fixed days could be tweaked some to allow both platoons to have a partial weekend off. Option 3 - Four days on and four days off. West Palm Beach method. The downside to this is always working four days in a row, which can be very tiring. These shifts can also be modified to an 11.5 hour shift, where you only work 80.5 hours in a 14 day cycle. The facts are that compared to a traditional 5/2 schedule, you get 78 more days off per year. Compared to a 4/10 schedule, you get 26 more days off per year (extra month).

12 hour shifts are a negative no matter how you try to sell it. When was the last time you were at work on your last hour and said to yourself....boy it would be great to work another 2 hours!!!!