PDA

View Full Version : LCSO Specialty Pay is Supposed to be Taken Away

06-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Rumor has it the LCSO will be losing all specialty pay incentives. And you don't want to unionize? So you go to a specialty unit. You have a pretty good schedule. Besides the fact that you work overtime almost every day. Besides the fact that you dont get paid overtime unless you get a blessing. Besides the fact that you are called out at all times of the night. Besides the fact you are called out on weekends that should be spent with your family. Your agency gets this out of you for 75.00 a paycheck. Now they may take it away? The only way to ensure that you don't lose more is to send in the blue cards now. Unionize. Once PERC protection is in place no working condition may be changed until you negotiate a contract. Working condition and terms of employment include all wages, overtime, and about thirty other mandatory points of negotiation. Every agency around you is making more than LCSO. They all have collective bargaining.

06-20-2009, 06:06 AM
Absolutely NOT True. Hasn't even been brought up. Just more union rhetoric. We're not going to loss medical or specialty pay.

06-20-2009, 11:28 AM
There is a plan to limit the off duty usage of unmarked agency vehicles. Members of the command staff are pushing for a "portal to portal" policy for all unmarked and undercover agency vehicles in an effort to save money of fuel consumption and vehicle wear and tear. The policy draft reads "The high visibilty of a marked sheriff's vehicle provides public safety and crime prevention benefits to the community that compensate for the monetary costs involved in allowing members to operate said vehicles in an off duty capacity. Unmarked and undercover vehicles provide no such visibility, therefore, the monetary cost for fuel and maintenance is not counterbalanced by any significant public safety benefit."

Supposedly, they are going to make exceptions for on call detectives and senior management (suprise!), but not for guys who are "permanently on call" like SWAT and Bomb Squad. It is probably only a matter of time before this affects us in patrol too.

06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Absolutely NOT True. Hasn't even been brought up. Just more union rhetoric. We're not going to loss medical or specialty pay.

Are you saying that there is no talk of eliminating specialt pay? Loss of insurance benefits and paying a premium for the benefits are two seperate things. Are you saying that there is no talk of charging a premium for medical benefits? Aslo, on both of these points, you can probably confirm that the fact is the only way that members of the LCSO can have some control over future conditions of employment (wages, vehicles, insurance premiums, paid for overtime, etc.) is to have collective bargaining since these points are governed by the NLRB as mandatory points of negotiation.

What is being talked about to save money? Are vehicles going to be taken away? If so will wages be increased to offset this unexpected expense?

I don't think that this is union rhetoric. It is a rumor that has spread like wildfire. The fact is that PERC protection prevents empoyers from changing any of the benefits currrently afforded to members of a collective bargaining unit from being altered in absence of a fully executed agreement.

06-21-2009, 05:08 PM
There is a plan to limit the off duty usage of unmarked agency vehicles. Members of the command staff are pushing for a "portal to portal" policy for all unmarked and undercover agency vehicles in an effort to save money of fuel consumption and vehicle wear and tear. The policy draft reads "The high visibilty of a marked sheriff's vehicle provides public safety and crime prevention benefits to the community that compensate for the monetary costs involved in allowing members to operate said vehicles in an off duty capacity. Unmarked and undercover vehicles provide no such visibility, therefore, the monetary cost for fuel and maintenance is not counterbalanced by any significant public safety benefit."

Supposedly, they are going to make exceptions for on call detectives and senior management (suprise!), but not for guys who are "permanently on call" like SWAT and Bomb Squad. It is probably only a matter of time before this affects us in patrol too.

Which is exactly why it would make no sense. Several months ago they did consider it, like when CCPD did it, but the Sheriff said we can act a LEO in the entire County we are not limited by city jurisdiction. Just more attempts to scare people into a Union. I guess they can't get support with out it.

06-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Which is exactly why it would make no sense. Several months ago they did consider it, like when CCPD did it, but the Sheriff said we can act a LEO in the entire County we are not limited by city jurisdiction. Just more attempts to scare people into a Union. I guess they can't get support with out it.

Several months ago the sheriff said Charlie Ferrante was god's gift to law enforcement. Things change in politics and economics, baby. It isn't a scare tactic for a union anyway because agencies RARELY put take homes into their contracts, so a union couldn't help or hurt us. They're still allowing for marked units under the plan they're talking about, just not the unmarked cars.

06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Ok. Even if you are being truthful and accurate, then it is not a worry in contract negotiations. If management has no intention of hitting medical or specialty pay, have him put it in writing. Think he would do that? No. Because he wants to do whatever he sees fit with your compensation package.

Like i said before. Leave everyhting alone, just put it in writing. IF its so good now, put it in writing. Think he would do that? How about disciplline. Put it in writing. The rest of the law enforcement world has a contract. Are they all wrong? 400,000 unonized public employees in Florida. Are they all wrong?

That post u p above talks about SCARE TACTICS. I'll tell you what SCARE tactics are being used. Scare tactics are being used by those who are against the union. You know why they are using scare tactics against the union?Because they are in the "in" crowd. Because they are the less than competent that have friends in high places. They are afraid that with a union they will actually have to perform rather than be taken care of by a friend. They are using scare tactics and fear because they wont just be able to make a phone call anymore and be taken care of. It is the anti union idiots that are using the scare tactics. Prove me wrong. The pro union guys in here are the ones using facts. Its the good-ole-anti-union-country-boys that are using the scare tactics. Get the facts straight.

06-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Ok. Even if you are being truthful and accurate, then it is not a worry in contract negotiations. If management has no intention of hitting medical or specialty pay, have him put it in writing. Think he would do that? No. Because he wants to do whatever he sees fit with your compensation package.

Like i said before. Leave everyhting alone, just put it in writing. IF its so good now, put it in writing. Think he would do that? How about disciplline. Put it in writing. The rest of the law enforcement world has a contract. Are they all wrong? 400,000 unonized public employees in Florida. Are they all wrong?

That post u p above talks about SCARE TACTICS. I'll tell you what SCARE tactics are being used. Scare tactics are being used by those who are against the union. You know why they are using scare tactics against the union?Because they are in the "in" crowd. Because they are the less than competent that have friends in high places. They are afraid that with a union they will actually have to perform rather than be taken care of by a friend. They are using scare tactics and fear because they wont just be able to make a phone call anymore and be taken care of. It is the anti union idiots that are using the scare tactics. Prove me wrong. The pro union guys in here are the ones using facts. Its the good-ole-anti-union-country-boys that are using the scare tactics. Get the facts straight.

Dude is right. Go Union.

06-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Mike how dumb can you be. you post the below post at 22:51 and then post the above post 3 minutes later.

Re: 2 leaving LCSO
by Guest on 06/24/09 22:51:02

We all have our opinions and personal experiences. I have not agreed with Chris on everything that he has done or failed to do . That is true with every single professional relationship that every person has. No person can argue that Chris is a great person and a a great friend regradless of your professional opinion of him. His wife is just as nice. Chris seems to have always tried hard for the right reasons. I hope that he and his wife and son have a wonderful life full of success and happiness. Good Luck.
Mike ZaleskiGuest

06-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Mike how dumb can you be. you post the below post at 22:51 and then post the above post 3 minutes later.

Re: 2 leaving LCSO
by Guest on 06/24/09 22:51:02

We all have our opinions and personal experiences. I have not agreed with Chris on everything that he has done or failed to do . That is true with every single professional relationship that every person has. No person can argue that Chris is a great person and a a great friend regradless of your professional opinion of him. His wife is just as nice. Chris seems to have always tried hard for the right reasons. I hope that he and his wife and son have a wonderful life full of success and happiness. Good Luck.
Mike ZaleskiGuest

This is Mike. Wasn't me.

07-01-2009, 03:31 AM
They should take it away and save money!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

07-01-2009, 10:43 PM

Go away civilian crybaby!

07-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Sure its not do boy the a-- kisser!!!! :devil: :devil:

Go away civilian crybaby!