PDA

View Full Version : Before You Blame Lamberti

06-17-2009, 05:46 AM
I was checking through my email the other day and saw a message from former Sheriff Jenne. It was dated on June 25th, 2007. Everything he described that was going to happen in his email, such as layoffs and positions cuts, are ironically happening under Lamberti. It seems that this issue was imminent, as former Sheriff Jenne knew about these issues before he left. I highly doubt Sheriff Lamberti is the problem here. We should not forget he inherited a lot of the old guard and budgetary issues from his former boss. Give things time to work themselves out and trust that Sheriff Lamberti is working toward resolving conflict not only in the agency, but with the commission as well.

I do not believe anyone in his position would be able to do any better than what he has already done. In fact, he has done things in this agency that no sheriff has ever even acknowledged. We used to be "shut out" from the administration, but now we are not. We need to focus our efforts on working together as a team. We are stronger in our numbers and more powerful when we stick together. The commission is making a very serious mistake by trying to cut the BSO budget. It is a sad, but real threat against the public and public safety throughout the county.

It is imperative that the media become more responsible in their reporting and discuss the opposite side of the coin: who is to blame when the budget cuts cause the removal of public safety from our streets. Unfortunately, poor reporting and misinformation of the facts have blinded the public from what is accurate and Sheriff Lamberti got taken by storm from a flurry of misreporting. The media should focus on how the commission is going after people's safety and what that means to each and every person in Broward County. As of now, the BSO has done well in capturing many fugitives and suppressing crime at an astonishing rate. The resources that are used to do so are going to be compromised if positions are cut, therefore making more crime for the average road patrol deputy to handle.

Less investigations and undercover resources make it more difficult to combat crime, even organized crime. We certainly give the bad guys what they want when they know resources are less than what they should be. While Broward County may be inviting to all sorts of businesses, tourism, and other wonderful attributes, it will also be an inviting place for criminals to grow and prosper as well with budget cuts cutting into our resources. The media should challenge themselves to get down to the truth of public safety and what it means to keep the public safe. They should get involved with seeing the litany of programs that BSO has to offer the public and what he has done to reduce crime.

We are fortunate to have an honest, hard-working sheriff in Broward County. Having nothing else to show he is anything but this, I believe we owe to him as employees of his organization to give him the respect he is due. Furthermore, I am hopeful that the commission and media will do the same.

I wish everyone the best.

Please pray for the family and friends of the Miami-Dade Police Officer Giovanni Gonzalez, who died from a vehicle crash and will not be spending Father's Day with his one-year-old son.

06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I see the admin staff is at it again. Thanks for the psychological twist by adding the condolences for the recently deceased LEO. You thought no one would challenge you because of its inclusion.

Nice try but you blew it when you said we are included in administration. Couldn't be further from the truth. So just where is this mystery email? Your time would be better spent preparing the Sheriff's next speech instead of trying to brain wash us here on this site.

06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah, good point. But don't you think you might want to investigate the commissioners first? They are the biggest crooks in the County! Every time I read the paper one of them is being investigated for something. The entire government is dirty. Face it we are a future New Orleans.

06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I see the admin staff is at it again. Thanks for the psychological twist by adding the condolences for the recently deceased LEO. You thought no one would challenge you because of its inclusion.

Nice try but you blew it when you said we are included in administration. Couldn't be further from the truth. So just where is this mystery email? Your time would be better spent preparing the Sheriff's next speech instead of trying to brain wash us here on this site.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am a grunt.

06-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, good point. But don't you think you might want to investigate the commissioners first? They are the biggest crooks in the County! Every time I read the paper one of them is being investigated for something. The entire government is dirty. Face it we are a future New Orleans.

The commission is not trying to do what is right for the people. They are doing what is right for themselves. Taking away safety and security from the people is a complete disregard for the welfare of others. They say no more higher taxes, but then when they do raise taxes they will use Lamberti to blame for it. It is a political game that they are doing to "frame" the sheriff for something he did not even start.

The fact is the sheriff has never, ever, ever lied to any of us - not one single employee can say they were lied to. Finally we have an honest man in office and he is being hung out to dry because he is honest. This is ridiculous. The media should be pointing their cameras at the other side and saying, "HOW COULD YOU?!?!?!"

Compare Lamberti's honesty to recent political figures going to jail in the area, and you start to see the man is telling the truth.

Anyway, just my two-cents....

P.S. - I wrote the post above this one.

06-17-2009, 04:28 PM
#1 - there was no doubt you wrote the previous posts
#2 - How can you make such a stupid statement as the Sheriff has not lied to anyone? Do you know everyone? I know he lied to me!!!!!!!!!!!
#3 - I doubt seriously you are a grunt and if you are, you work at the PSB.
#4 - STFU

06-17-2009, 04:48 PM
How much longer should we wait for him to make changes??? Four years???? And why are all of his double-dipping buddies still here???? All of the Powertrac goons are still here too. Go back to your asslicking duties!

06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
#2 - How can you make such a stupid statement as the Sheriff has not lied to anyone? Do you know everyone? I know he lied to me!!!!!!!!!!!
#4 - STFU

I do not work at the PSB. If Lamberti lied to you then post it right here. Let us examine what he lied about and see how you came to that conclusion.

I am a grunt. I am speaking on behalf of many grunts in fact that have been highly critical of our contract.

You need to stop fighting a system of brothers and start being part of the solution. Our PBA needs to rally with the support of our sheriff because he needs us now more than ever before. This is NOT about money and we all know that. This is about the people we protect and serve everyday. When you look at the fat retirement you get - and believe me I know you earned every cent of it - just remind yourself that there are other people besides yourself that work here and want to do the same thing. We need to keep the public safe and we need to keep our numbers high enough to protect not only the public, but each other as well. The population continues to soar and with this bad economy we see more crime. We cannot go a day without a few robberies in the county, much less rapes and assaults with deadly weapons. You think this is fair for the organization to do so much shifting?

I do not agree with Lamberti on everything, but at least I have this forum that I can use because I know he reads it just as much as many other administrators. They all read this site. For once he should know that grunts like me support him and he needs to know that we will stand by his side.

I completely disagree with him when were asked to give up our raises that we fought hard for, but you know what he did not fight us back and let the contract stand. He understood we deserved it and if at the very least we can give back to him is some freaking gratitude, rather than this naysayer, arms crossed, attitude of not standing up for our organization. Lamberti is not Jenne.

06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
How much longer should we wait for him to make changes??? Four years???? And why are all of his double-dipping buddies still here???? All of the Powertrac goons are still here too. Go back to your asslicking duties!

Stop living in the past. That is what is so darn wrong about this place is that EVERYONE keeps reliving the past. LET IT GO! We need to think ahead and be motivated again. Our agency is under attack with false information and rumors of untruth. If you ever walk by Lamberti, you shake his hand - you tell him you support the agency and you tell him you work here and your proud. He will give you that same respect back and know you meant every word of it. He knows we are all here doing our job proudly, but when he, OUR BOSS, is being falsely beaten by the media for unrealistic issues that are omitting important things the public needs to know, then we we need to show the truth with him.

One way to do the right thing is to talk good about our organization. Lamberti has been here over THIRTY-YEARS!!!! I mean this guy has seen it all. Almost all of us on this forum board can't say we have done that much time in one organization, let alone any organization. Everyone wants to complain but nobody wants to come up with real solutions.

If there were anything I could tell Lamberti now, it would be to continue his open lines of communication with all the rungs of the organization and make it possible to be heard - he has been doing this thus far.

When I read his 411-Fridays - which I look forward to - he is "telling it like it is" and what is really going on. Stop shadow boxing about how the goons are here because if you were one of the chosen people you would not be complaining at all. I'd rather seen Lamberti have people in his command who he knows, rather than some newbie that went up the ranks and wants to send a new message by writing everybody up so he can get noticed. We need experienced people in our ranks - it is really valuable to have people with experience, especially in a public safety organization.

Powertrac is dead, done, over with - let it go. We are in a new way of life and this battle of the budget is everything right now. We need to make sure that safety is our #1 priority, and to do this we need to make sure we have plenty of law enforcement and fire-rescue doing their job, not laid off watching TV and brooding over job searches.

06-17-2009, 09:39 PM
You must have poop on your nose.

06-17-2009, 09:50 PM
You must have poop on your nose.

And dirty knees as well. This clown talks about "team work" and how everyone should support the Sheriff instead of criticizing him?? The county commissioners practically tore the Sheriff a new ass, and he didn't do a damn thing about it!!

I notice this "yes man" failed to mention Detention. I guess he has a general dislike for jailers too. Wow! Yeah, let's all stick together pal!!!

Sell us some more swamp land!!!

06-18-2009, 01:32 AM

Yes this needs to be repeated again, its amazing the administration has time to think up stories to write on LEO affairs. They should be thinking about what useless Col. or Maj. should be givin a pink slip instead. Its also funny how whenever the initials of any of the guys who have been screwed are mentioned that post gets deleted what's up with that? I didn't really care for those guys from the North anyway but still they did not deserve what they got and its amazing the impact they have on this place that even posting initials gets that post deleted. It just goes to show the administration worries about the wrong things. Please Sheriff worry about balancing your budget with out laying Deputies off and don't worry about Leo affairs.

06-18-2009, 02:03 AM

Yes this needs to be repeated again, its amazing the administration has time to think up stories to write on LEO affairs. They should be thinking about what useless Col. or Maj. should be givin a pink slip instead. Its also funny how whenever the initials of any of the guys who have been screwed are mentioned that post gets deleted what's up with that? I didn't really care for those guys from the North anyway but still they did not deserve what they got and its amazing the impact they have on this place that even posting initials gets that post deleted. It just goes to show the administration worries about the wrong things. Please Sheriff worry about balancing your budget with out laying Deputies off and don't worry about Leo affairs.

Nobody cares about LEOAffairs......except the three or four morons that should get back to work and stop whining.

06-18-2009, 02:46 AM
I was checking through my email the other day and saw a message from former Sheriff Jenne. It was dated on June 25th, 2007. Everything he described that was going to happen in his email, such as layoffs and positions cuts, are ironically happening under Lamberti. It seems that this issue was imminent, as former Sheriff Jenne knew about these issues before he left. I highly doubt Sheriff Lamberti is the problem here. We should not forget he inherited a lot of the old guard and budgetary issues from his former boss. Give things time to work themselves out and trust that Sheriff Lamberti is working toward resolving conflict not only in the agency, but with the commission as well.

I do not believe anyone in his position would be able to do any better than what he has already done. In fact, he has done things in this agency that no sheriff has ever even acknowledged. We used to be "shut out" from the administration, but now we are not. We need to focus our efforts on working together as a team. We are stronger in our numbers and more powerful when we stick together. The commission is making a very serious mistake by trying to cut the BSO budget. It is a sad, but real threat against the public and public safety throughout the county.

It is imperative that the media become more responsible in their reporting and discuss the opposite side of the coin: who is to blame when the budget cuts cause the removal of public safety from our streets. Unfortunately, poor reporting and misinformation of the facts have blinded the public from what is accurate and Sheriff Lamberti got taken by storm from a flurry of misreporting. The media should focus on how the commission is going after people's safety and what that means to each and every person in Broward County. As of now, the BSO has done well in capturing many fugitives and suppressing crime at an astonishing rate. The resources that are used to do so are going to be compromised if positions are cut, therefore making more crime for the average road patrol deputy to handle.

Less investigations and undercover resources make it more difficult to combat crime, even organized crime. We certainly give the bad guys what they want when they know resources are less than what they should be. While Broward County may be inviting to all sorts of businesses, tourism, and other wonderful attributes, it will also be an inviting place for criminals to grow and prosper as well with budget cuts cutting into our resources. The media should challenge themselves to get down to the truth of public safety and what it means to keep the public safe. They should get involved with seeing the litany of programs that BSO has to offer the public and what he has done to reduce crime.

We are fortunate to have an honest, hard-working sheriff in Broward County. Having nothing else to show he is anything but this, I believe we owe to him as employees of his organization to give him the respect he is due. Furthermore, I am hopeful that the commission and media will do the same.

I wish everyone the best.

Please pray for the family and friends of the Miami-Dade Police Officer Giovanni Gonzalez, who died from a vehicle crash and will not be spending Father's Day with his one-year-old son.

The commission is not trying to do what is right for the people. They are doing what is right for themselves. Taking away safety and security from the people is a complete disregard for the welfare of others. They say no more higher taxes, but then when they do raise taxes they will use Lamberti to blame for it. It is a political game that they are doing to "frame" the sheriff for something he did not even start.

The fact is the sheriff has never, ever, ever lied to any of us - not one single employee can say they were lied to. Finally we have an honest man in office and he is being hung out to dry because he is honest. This is ridiculous. The media should be pointing their cameras at the other side and saying, "HOW COULD YOU?!?!?!"

#4 - STFU

I do not work at the PSB. If Lamberti lied to you then post it right here. Let us examine what he lied about and see how you came to that conclusion.

I am a grunt. I am speaking on behalf of many grunts in fact that have been highly critical of our contract.

You need to stop fighting a system of brothers and start being part of the solution. Our PBA needs to rally with the support of our sheriff because he needs us now more than ever before. This is NOT about money and we all know that. This is about the people we protect and serve everyday. When you look at the fat retirement you get - and believe me I know you earned every cent of it - just remind yourself that there are other people besides yourself that work here and want to do the same thing. We need to keep the public safe and we need to keep our numbers high enough to protect not only the public, but each other as well. The population continues to soar and with this bad economy we see more crime. We cannot go a day without a few robberies in the county, much less rapes and assaults with deadly weapons. You think this is fair for the organization to do so much shifting?

I do not agree with Lamberti on everything, but at least I have this forum that I can use because I know he reads it just as much as many other administrators. They all read this site. For once he should know that grunts like me support him and he needs to know that we will stand by his side.

I completely disagree with him when were asked to give up our raises that we fought hard for, but you know what he did not fight us back and let the contract stand. He understood we deserved it and if at the very least we can give back to him is some freaking gratitude, rather than this naysayer, arms crossed, attitude of not standing up for our organization. Lamberti is not Jenne.

Stop living in the past. That is what is so darn wrong about this place is that EVERYONE keeps reliving the past. LET IT GO! We need to think ahead and be motivated again. Our agency is under attack with false information and rumors of untruth. If you ever walk by Lamberti, you shake his hand - you tell him you support the agency and you tell him you work here and your proud. He will give you that same respect back and know you meant every word of it. He knows we are all here doing our job proudly, but when he, OUR BOSS, is being falsely beaten by the media for unrealistic issues that are omitting important things the public needs to know, then we we need to show the truth with him.

One way to do the right thing is to talk good about our organization. Lamberti has been here over THIRTY-YEARS!!!! I mean this guy has seen it all. Almost all of us on this forum board can't say we have done that much time in one organization, let alone any organization. Everyone wants to complain but nobody wants to come up with real solutions.

If there were anything I could tell Lamberti now, it would be to continue his open lines of communication with all the rungs of the organization and make it possible to be heard - he has been doing this thus far.

When I read his 411-Fridays - which I look forward to - he is "telling it like it is" and what is really going on. Stop shadow boxing about how the goons are here because if you were one of the chosen people you would not be complaining at all. I'd rather seen Lamberti have people in his command who he knows, rather than some newbie that went up the ranks and wants to send a new message by writing everybody up so he can get noticed. We need experienced people in our ranks - it is really valuable to have people with experience, especially in a public safety organization.

Powertrac is dead, done, over with - let it go. We are in a new way of life and this battle of the budget is everything right now. We need to make sure that safety is our #1 priority, and to do this we need to make sure we have plenty of law enforcement and fire-rescue doing their job, not laid off watching TV and brooding over job searches.

I see Lamberti got his propaganda machine working overtime against the county commission. If Lamberti and his people would work as hard on running BSO, as they do on laying blame for their incompetents and lack of management. There would be no layoffs and everyone would get the raises they have earned. Why are all the threats of layoffs and letters handed out before any meetings with the county commission have taken place. Oh yea that propaganda machine.

I see some things never change here at BSO, Pride in Service with Intimidation and Fear
This needs to be repeated again and again

06-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Hey lets not forget my fat friend Chris is gonna have a baby! :devil:

06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Lamberti may be a nice guy, but he ain't up for the job and proves it daily! He should step down before a vote of confidence is called! I hear it's coming

06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Lamberti may be a nice guy, but he ain't up for the job and proves it daily! He should step down before a vote of confidence is called! I hear it's coming

So he fooled you too, fooled many people. He's anything but a nice guy Think about some of the things he has ,or has not done in the last 2 yrs. Then tell me how nice he is!!!

06-18-2009, 09:14 PM

So he fooled you too, fooled many people. He's anything but a nice guy Think about some of the things he has ,or has not done in the last 2 yrs. Then tell me how nice he is!!!

How come no one ever provides proof? You want to call him a liar, but no one proves it. You want to say he is fooling many people, but you don't say who the people are and how they are being fooled. You say he is "anything but a nice guy," but yet you have nothing to prove otherwise. If you work for the agency you know what changes he has done in the last two-years - he tells EVERYONE what he does weekly. He runs the organization with transparency. You talk about a vote of confidence, but yet he has done nothing to break confidence.

Here are some facts I know to be true: he has done thirty-years in the BSO, has committed his life to public safety, has supported his organization with every ounce of his person, he actually cares about the people in Broward County, he is free from any political machine, and he has the highest morale rates inside BSO in a very long time. The voters are not stupid. They picked Lamberti because he was the right choice and unfortunately he will have to deal with politics because that comes with the territory. People like you have to be fair and impartial because your rhetoric only affects yourself, and without any proof on your wild assumptions it is difficult to even take you seriously.

06-18-2009, 11:45 PM

How come no one ever provides proof? You want to call him a liar, but no one proves it. You want to say he is fooling many people, but you don't say who the people are and how they are being fooled. You say he is "anything but a nice guy," but yet you have nothing to prove otherwise. If you work for the agency you know what changes he has done in the last two-years - he tells EVERYONE what he does weekly. He runs the organization with transparency. You talk about a vote of confidence, but yet he has done nothing to break confidence.

Here are some facts I know to be true: he has done thirty-years in the BSO, has committed his life to public safety, has supported his organization with every ounce of his person, he actually cares about the people in Broward County, he is free from any political machine, and he has the highest morale rates inside BSO in a very long time. The voters are not stupid. They picked Lamberti because he was the right choice and unfortunately he will have to deal with politics because that comes with the territory. People like you have to be fair and impartial because your rhetoric only affects yourself, and without any proof on your wild assumptions it is difficult to even take you seriously.

Well you claim to be very knowable of what Lamberti is about so why not tell ever one here about his relationship with the ex Tamarac Pd Officer/ex Felon, you know all about that right. Does he still have Lamberti’s number on his cell,, I mean as in phone. Is he still setting up meeting for Lamberti?. Does he still helping Lamberti to speak to a very large church group in Ft Lauderdale or was that a onetime thing to sway some voters. Is Lamberti still telling the press lies and laying blame on to others. Tell me why does he refuse to speak to the county commissars about the budget in public so everyone can hear his plans. So as you see we all know a little something, don’t we

06-19-2009, 12:19 AM
[quote=stopthemadness]Lamberti may be a nice guy, but he ain't up for the job and proves it daily! He should step down before a vote of confidence is called! I hear it's coming

Well you claim to be very knowable of what Lamberti is about so why not tell ever one here about his relationship with the ex Tamarac Pd Officer/ex Felon, you know all about that right. Does he still have Lamberti’s number on his cell,, I mean as in phone. Is he still setting up meeting for Lamberti?. Does he still helping Lamberti to speak to a very large church group in Ft Lauderdale or was that a onetime thing to sway some voters. Is Lamberti still telling the press lies and laying blame on to others. Tell me why does he refuse to speak to the county commissars about the budget in public so everyone can hear his plans. So as you see we all know a little something, don’t we[/quote:glocarh6]

I am so sick of you azzholes...if you know something and have proof...come forward don't be a keyboard coward.
I am also sick of the Broward County Commission PBA screwing us. We have a contract.

06-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey Pat Hanrahan...why don't you tell us about your close relationship with the soon to be felon Stacy Ritter. How can you represent us, when you are so far up to your azzhole in crooked politics?

06-19-2009, 12:26 AM

Changes??? Oh, you mean the cute little hat, the blue pen and the green uniform shirt?? WOW!!! Don't forget that catchy slogan too!!! LOL!!!!! GO LAMEDUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!

06-19-2009, 12:28 AM
What does any of this have to do with what has been discussed? We are talking about the agency, not about some ex-felon. I am talking about the agency right now, POST-ELECTION, about what is going on. Nothing you have said has anything to do with what has been discussed this entire time, which is exactly my point since the beginning. What lies is Lamberti telling the press? That was my initial question and you failed to answer it. WHAT LIES? You keep on ranting, but you have nothing for proof. Just made up concoctions.

Lamberti should not be detailing everything to the paper because a budget workshop requires questions and answers. If he sits there and sends to the media all the reasons for something, then every time someone has a question it will require another news article. The commissioners do not care about public safety as much as Lamberti does, and that is why he is being treated terribly. If you look at the mistake the mayor made about the electronic bulletin board, it is easy to understand how they are so disillusioned and disconnected from what the costs really are. If the mayor would just ASK what is during a budget workshop they would have had the answer. Instead, stupidly, the mayor says she'd something like buying one for $10, when the cost of a Traffic Notification Board is $24,000.

Lamberti has nothing to hide. Tell me one thing he refuses to discuss that does not compromise on-going investigations and then we can talk further. The commission just has to understand what things mean so they can make sense of the budget. People from the Sun-Sentinel either purposefully omitted information to sell papers, or do not have good investigate reporters to get all their facts. I do not like half-reporting any more than you do, but this is what has been happening.

Again, no one has yet to blame Lamberti for anything and that was the reason I posted on here. I hope you change your mind about how you feel.

06-19-2009, 03:50 AM

He cares about the people of broward county, does he dave? He lays off low level employees when he is so fat at the top, even the intelectually challenged like you can see that is wrong! We have way to many captains, majors directors, ltc's and 2 cols. Of course you be up for promotion to capt. would you not davy boy?

06-19-2009, 04:32 AM

He cares about the people of broward county, does he dave? He lays off low level employees when he is so fat at the top, even the intelectually challenged like you can see that is wrong! We have way to many captains, majors directors, ltc's and 2 cols. Of course you be up for promotion to capt. would you not davy boy?

You think he wants to layoff anyone? You don't think this bothers him? He does not want anyone to be laid off. He has been doing anything and everything to avoid layoffs. He tried to avoid them by asking the unions to change their agreement. I am part of the PBA, and we said "no." Besides, I want to keep my raise - I earned and fought for it just like everyone else. At least Lamberti tried asking to see if he could stop layoffs. We, the deputies and sergeants, could be the reason for the layoffs. Remember Lamberti approved our three-year contact, but initially he tried to do two-years as "re-openers." He wanted to do this because he did not know what kind of shortfall impact we might have. Now we know what happened, so obviously we as deputies and sergeants are happier with our small additional raises but the impact resulted in a potential loss of employees. Lamberti is not some forecasting genius, he has to go with what happens in the county and that means he cannot predict every expense. Public safety is a fluid environment and not like every standard 9-5 government agency.

Lamberti is not fighting for more money, which he asked the commission for originally. He is fighting to keep the county safe with the cuts he has offered to make. My hope is he appeals to the higher authority because this commission, in my opinion, is not interested in protecting the public. I think Lamberti should also ask for the original amount so all the jobs can be saved, instead of unemployment having to be paid out.

As of now tons of people are being moved around the agency in an effort to prepare for layoffs, and so many more are preparing their final days at BSO until a hopeful re-hire. All you can do is slow the process down with your nay saying. You need to change your thought process and appreciate what Lamberti has done and wants to do. Perhaps with the support of everyone, we can help send a message in solidarity that we agree with Lamberti and his desire to keep the county safe.

And no, this is not Dave.

06-19-2009, 04:45 AM

You think he wants to layoff anyone? You don't think this bothers him? He does not want anyone to be laid off. He has been doing anything and everything to avoid layoffs. He tried to avoid them by asking the unions to change their agreement. I am part of the PBA, and we said "no." Besides, I want to keep my raise - I earned and fought for it just like everyone else. At least Lamberti tried asking to see if he could stop layoffs. We, the deputies and sergeants, could be the reason for the layoffs. Remember Lamberti approved our three-year contact, but initially he tried to do two-years as "re-openers." He wanted to do this because he did not know what kind of shortfall impact we might have. Now we know what happened, so obviously we as deputies and sergeants are happier with our small additional raises but the impact resulted in a potential loss of employees. Lamberti is not some forecasting genius, he has to go with what happens in the county and that means he cannot predict every expense. Public safety is a fluid environment and not like every standard 9-5 government agency.

Lamberti is not fighting for more money, which he asked the commission for originally. He is fighting to keep the county safe with the cuts he has offered to make. My hope is he appeals to the higher authority because this commission, in my opinion, is not interested in protecting the public. I think Lamberti should also ask for the original amount so all the jobs can be saved, instead of unemployment having to be paid out.

As of now tons of people are being moved around the agency in an effort to prepare for layoffs, and so many more are preparing their final days at BSO until a hopeful re-hire. All you can do is slow the process down with your nay saying. You need to change your thought process and appreciate what Lamberti has done and wants to do. Perhaps with the support of everyone, we can help send a message in solidarity that we agree with Lamberti and his desire to keep the county safe.

Hey notdave, why only the lay off of little people, no captains, majors, directors ltc's and so on. We have many who do nothing and you know that notdave! By only impacting the little people lamberti speaks volumes about where his loyalties lie and his fiscal ir-responsibility.

06-19-2009, 06:13 AM

So, you admit that the reason Lamberti is closing the Stockade and laying off 70 Detention Deputies is due to the DLE contract. You know the one with the extra 4% cola hidden in Article 28.10 as a law enforcement first responder supplemental raise. It was bad enough when one bargaining unit was given more then all the others. Now this. Everyone knows the extra 4% was the price the sheriff payed for the PBA endorsement. Lamberti was warned by the county about the shrinking tax base before negotiations hence, the re-openers in year two and three.

06-19-2009, 07:38 AM
To answer both of you:

The brass in the agency is not as large as you make it seem. If this were a 300-person department, then yes. How much brass do you actually think the agency has? You cannot run an agency of over 5,000 people with limited supervision. Without naming a whole bunch of names of people you probably don't like anyway, just tell me what section of the department has more brass than necessary? Lamberti does not have choices when he does the contract cities of how much brass is in it and downtown has just enough supervisors to run the necessities of each division. The only additions he has made was the hiring of commanders to fill vacancy in which Lamberti would have had to pay more for.

For the other person's question about the DLE raises. The DLE contract reduction request was only to keep DLE positions, including support staff, open so no job losses could occur. The DLE contract has absolutely nothing to do with a DOD contract. In fact, DLE, like DOD, is separated in every sense of the word. Even if DLE gave up money, this would not stop a DOD job loss.

06-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Someone's earning their pay!

Was it the comments about a potential vote of no confidence that brought you out? You are well aware no one is going to post names and specific situations on this site for fear of retaliation. You know what retaliation is, don't you Mr. Insider? That should have been the agency motto "Retaliation - the fuel that keeps me in office".

06-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Someone's earning their pay!

Was it the comments about a potential vote of no confidence that brought you out? You are well aware no one is going to post names and specific situations on this site for fear of retaliation. You know what retaliation is, don't you Mr. Insider? That should have been the agency motto "Retaliation - the fuel that keeps me in office".

Ask J.B. AKA Johnny Fishbowl about retaliation, ask R.D. about retaliation they tried to warn us ......... P.S. I am sure this post will be deleted just the mention of those two that just proves the point the above poster made!!!

06-19-2009, 01:45 PM
To answer both of you:

The brass in the agency is not as large as you make it seem. If this were a 300-person department, then yes. How much brass do you actually think the agency has? You cannot run an agency of over 5,000 people with limited supervision. Without naming a whole bunch of names of people you probably don't like anyway, just tell me what section of the department has more brass than necessary? Lamberti does not have choices when he does the contract cities of how much brass is in it and downtown has just enough supervisors to run the necessities of each division. The only additions he has made was the hiring of commanders to fill vacancy in which Lamberti would have had to pay more for.

For the other person's question about the DLE raises. The DLE contract reduction request was only to keep DLE positions, including support staff, open so no job losses could occur. The DLE contract has absolutely nothing to do with a DOD contract. In fact, DLE, like DOD, is separated in every sense of the word. Even if DLE gave up money, this would not stop a DOD job loss.

Four majors to run the jail, absurd! One retired and brought back to supervise new construction , of which there is none. Blow it out your arse notdave!

06-19-2009, 03:57 PM
To answer both of you:

So if your above statement is correct why are all the cuts coming from DOD? The DOD union has not negotiated the third year of the contract re-opener yet. We are currently at zero for the third year, but Lamberti is closing a jail and laying off 70 DOD deputies. DLE on the other hand will get a 2% raise in July and a 5% raise in October with no cuts. Lamberti has stated to the press that over 50% of his general fund is budgeted to DOD. You know, the funds he can move at his discretion. The funds he and all the sheriff's before him have used to supplement the DLE and now the Fire Rescue budget. He has also stated that any further cut would jeopardise public safety, but makes cuts that will do exactly that. He is on record saying that when the jails become over-crowed, assaults will increase on the staff and inmates. I and many others have lost confidence in our sheriff.

06-19-2009, 04:05 PM
To answer both of you:

So if your above statement is correct why are all the cuts coming from DOD? The DOD union has not negotiated the third year of the contract re-opener yet. We are currently at zero for the third year, but Lamberti is closing a jail and laying off 70 DOD deputies. DLE on the other hand will get a 2% raise in July and a 5% raise in October with no cuts. Lamberti has stated to the press that over 50% of his general fund is budgeted to DOD. You know, the funds he can move at his discretion. The funds he and all the sheriff's before him have used to supplement the DLE and now the Fire Rescue budget. He has also stated that any further cut would jeopardise public safety, but makes cuts that will do exactly that. He is on record saying that when the jails become over-crowed, assaults will increase on the staff and inmates. I and many others have lost confidence in our sheriff.

VOTE OF CONFIDENCE, VOTE OF CONFIDENCE, VOTE OF CONFIDENCE, VOTE OF CONFIDENCE, PLEASE!

06-20-2009, 12:23 AM
As budget battle broils, where's heat on unions?
Michael Mayo | News Columnist
June 17, 2009
Imagine the Shootout at the OK Corral with one side represented by cardboard cutouts and you have a good idea of the political theater at the latest Broward budget workshop.

Tough-talking Democratic Broward commissioners fired shot after shot at budget nemesis Al Lamberti, but the Republican sheriff was nowhere to be found.

Commissioners even symbolically halted the meeting to hunt him down.

"We've got a sheriff who refuses to be here. ... What kind of bush league is that?" Commissioner John Rodstrom huffed at one point.At issue: the county's $108 million budget shortfall, and roughly $50 million in cuts Lamberti resists.

Later Tuesday, Broward Mayor Stacy Ritter had a "Bring 'im on" moment, telling a meeting of local Democrats the commission would impose cuts on the autonomous sheriff and take their chances if he appealed to the Florida Cabinet, the final referee in budget disputes.

"I say go ahead and let him go," Ritter said, before plopping down a Sheriff's Office budget and questioning some expenses, including $28 million in overtime last year.

The escalating battle makes for good copy, but both sides better be careful.

This could be Mutual Assured Destruction, local-politics style. The more stuff the opponents throw at each other, the more bloat they unearth from each other's budget, the more embarrassing it could get for everyone.

As each side attacks and counterattacks, playing politics as usual, the bigger picture gets lost.

The commission has proposed cuts to parks, libraries and other social services. The Sheriff's Office has proposed 177 layoffs (including 48 deputies), closing a jail and haltingvaluable jail programs.

Clearly, there's going to be shared pain on the local front.

But the taboo question that nobody's asking: How about union givebacks?

Or just some common-sense concessions that could blunt some of the hardest hits?

Take for instance, the long-standing practice of layoffs based on the least seniority. This means the sheriff has to chop cheap rookies fresh from the academy while double-dippers already drawing full pensions in addition to their veteran salaries are protected.

Where's the fairness in that?

Instead of pointing fingers at each other, I'd love to see commissioners and the sheriff lean on unions to give up some generous contract provisions to save jobs. Considering the tremendous political clout of unions, don't hold your breath.

"We've been discussing [givebacks] with them and they're agreeable," Lamberti told me last week.

I left a message with Broward Police Benevolent Association President Pat Hanrahan on Wednesday, but didn't hear back.

If you want an eye-opening experience, read the contract Lamberti and the PBA signed last July. I don't have a problem with the 3 percent annual pay raises, or the 5 percent longevity raises after 12 and 18 years.

But there are enough sweeteners to kill a diabetic. After 11 years, deputies get 45 paid days off annually -- 21 vacation days, 12 sick days, 11 holidays and one personal day.

Unused sick days and comp time can be carried over for decades and cashed out upon retirement -- up to 28 weeks -- and it's paid at the final salary rate, not when it was earned.

Deputies who don't have take-home vehicles get a monthly $453 supplement. Deputies who have to make court appearances outside their normal shifts get a minimum three hours of overtime, even if they're only needed for 20 minutes.

In good times, some of these things could slide. But these aren't good times.

When a cop gets shot, you always see hundreds of fellow officers turn out to donate blood.

It's the budget that's bleeding now. Will union members sacrifice the more outlandish perks to help save their own? And will any of our elected leaders even bother to ask?

Michael Mayo can be reached at mmayo@SunSentinel.com or 954-356-4508.

06-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Hey - not a bad article at all. Hits the nail on the head and I know what a loose cannon this guy Mayo can be.

06-20-2009, 04:36 AM
Hey - not a bad article at all. Hits the nail on the head and I know what a loose cannon this guy Mayo can be.
go away troll.

06-20-2009, 11:08 AM
This article does not nail it on the head like one of you suggested. Yes you can carry sick time over, but when you leave the agency you do not receive all of it just a percentage. The rest of the time is comparable to other agencies.

06-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Let's see. Mayo writes you can carry it over "up to 28 weeks". I think those who can read see the SL figure is restrictive. As I said - nails it pretty well. Now go back to work for admin.