PDA

View Full Version : union contract here... we... go...

05-30-2009, 12:02 AM
To All Lee County Sheriff’s Employees:

Last week, an eager employee contacted the local news media about deputies petitioning to unionize the Lee County Sheriff’s Office. I have in fact had numerous employees approach me requesting that the Florida Police Benevolent Association (FLPBA) implement collective bargaining for deputies and sergeants. I was in the
process of preparing a mailer when the media was alerted.

Your fellow employees communicated that they believe the FLPBA will provide a voice for achieving goals such as obtaining equitable wages, improving benefits, implementing fair hours of work, and providing promotional and disciplinary policies.
In response to the deputies’ requests, you will receive information at the LCSO Six Mile location about the FLPBA and its 36,000 law enforcement members currently being represented. You can begin the collective bargaining process simply by placing your signature on the blue card and returning it; this is required in order to move us to a representation election.

Please remember, this is your choice and it is confidential; your
employer will not have access to who votes in favor of establishment. If 30% of the employees agree with moving forward, a secret vote will take place. To bring in the PBA, a majority of those who vote is required.

Your vote for the FLPBA will secure representation for collective bargaining.
Upon winning the election, you will have a voice in the collective bargaining process, just like the many other deputies in other Florida counties such as Broward, Palm Beach, Hendry and Dade. Your bargaining team would consist of six to eight LCSO deputies and sergeants from various units who would either be appointed as directors by the Gulf Coast Chapter Executive Board and/or participate as part of the negotiations team. I would meet collectively with the membership along with FLPBA attorneys to determine your needs so that we can place them in a written binding contract between the deputies and sergeants and the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.

As a 24-year law enforcement veteran, I cannot imagine foregoing this protection. The FLPBA supports structure
and consistency in the treatment of all members. We were approached by LCSO employees who recognize the strength of a unionized organization. As president of the Gulf Coast Chapter of the FLPBA, I am ready to fight
for your rights while working in a professional environment with Sheriff Mike Scott and the Lee County staff, along with the powerful backing of our FLPBA organization.

You are heroically risking your lives everyday for others—now it is time to protect yourself.
Yours in Law Enforcement.

Cecil L. Pendergrass, President Gulf Coast Chapter
Florida Police Benevolent Association

Look for the above message in your mail boxes.

Now it's time to start discussing with your co workers the blue card vote. Please make sure they get them signed and sent back to the PBA. Remember under F.S.S. 447 the agency can not review any of the blue cards.

We want to achieve more than 30% in blue card votes to show we didn't just make the cut.

Sergeants, if you want to be included in the legal defense and collective bargaining you need to show more support. The deputies are way ahead !!

05-30-2009, 03:04 AM
I have had a lot of dealings with both the PBA and FOP (not as a union but as representation) and I am sorry to say i am not impressed with the PBA.

Is it true, if we unionize everything we have is up for grabs. If we unionize, can the sheriff, take away the benefits we currently have, such as health, vision, and dental, and vacation, sick and personal time. I have even heard that we could lose take home cars as these would all have to be negotiated.

Please answer before I sign my blue card.