PDA

View Full Version : PBSO deputies suspended in overtime investigation

05-29-2009, 05:56 PM
PBSO deputies suspended in overtime investigation
By Jerome Burdi | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
12:51 PM EDT, May 29, 2009

PALM BEACH COUNTY - Palm Beach County sheriff's Lt. John Morrissey wanted to do someone on his staff a favor. So he decided to give a corporal a deal: Get overtime without working it.

Morrissey, who oversees the sheriff's dog unit, allowed Cpl. Richard Logsdon to receive $1,754 from 54 hours of unworked overtime pay between November 2007 and June 2008, records show.

The lieutenant told his captain: "He's getting screwed. So this is what we came up with to fix it."

Morrissey instructed the three sergeants in his unit to approve the overtime pay to make up the difference he thought Logsdon deserved because he did the same work as a field training officer but without the title, so he got less pay, investigators said.

All five deputies involved in the falsified documents were suspended in April for policy violations.

Sheriff's detectives found probable cause to charge Morrissey and Logsdon with official misconduct, grand theft and organized scheme to defraud, but the State Attorney's Office declined to prosecute the criminal charges.

Sergeants Kevin Marks, Michael Anderson and Jonathan Newcomb each was suspended three days. Morrissey received a 20-day suspension and Logsdon received five days.

According to internal-affairs documents:

Logsdon, a dog handler who earns $70,272, was ineligible to receive field training officer's pay because he was not certified. Further, Sheriff's Office commanders said the unit needed no more field training officers. Logsdon didn't go through the proper channels to file a grievance.

Morrissey and Logsdon's lawyer, Gary Lippman, said the corporal, who's worked at the Sheriff's Office since 1998, was entitled to the raise.

"The mistakes were administrative," Lippman said. "It has a demoralizing effect on personnel who were involved."

He said Logsdon should have been considered a field training officer, responsible for the training of new deputies, because that's what he was doing. It's a role he should have come into because of his time and expertise in the unit, Morrissey told investigators.

So Logsdon fixed it, he said. It didn't matter that Logsdon didn't work the hours.

"Knowing [Logsdon] and his work ethic, he probably puts in 20 hours a month uncompensated." Morrissey told investigators.

The case is similar to one in May involving six deputies accused of overtime fraud. They were charged criminally and are going through court hearings. In that case, the deputies worked the overtime but at a higher cost to taxpayers.

The six were accused of rigging the Sheriff's Office's overtime assignments over a four-year period. Prosecutors say they assigned themselves lucrative overtime shifts guarding hospitalized inmates before the shifts were made available to rank-and-file deputies. Had regular deputies been assigned those shifts, it would have cost taxpayers about $300,000 less in the first year alone, authorities said.

The deputies all are on administrative leave without pay. Darrin McCray, then a lieutenant, was convicted of 10 felony counts consisting of official misconduct and organized scheme to defraud in November. He was sentenced to nearly 19 months in prison and lost his job at the Sheriff's Office.

In Logsdon's case, there was no cost to taxpayers, Lippman said, because he was entitled to the money. Logsdon was not ordered to pay it back.

Logsdon made headlines in December when he fatally shot a car theft suspect in Boynton Beach after he grabbed at something in his pockets. The State Attorney's Office ruled the shooting justified.

The corporal has numerous commendations on file, mostly for his work as a dog handler in helping catch fleeing suspects.

In the overtime case, Logsdon told investigators that Morrissey told him to submit the overtime slips until the clerical misclassification was rectified. In the meantime, Logsdon was working extra hours and not requesting overtime, he told investigators, because it is part of his "work ethic."

Jerome Burdi can be reached at jburdi@SunSentinel.com or

05-29-2009, 08:50 PM
This is exactly why the public does not respect us anymore, and demand we take pay cuts. These criminals are no differant then the criminals in corrections. try them all, they are a black eye to this already embarressed Department.

05-29-2009, 09:12 PM
deserves the money???

He isn't even a cop, just a dog handler.

Every corporal should feel slapped in the face by these numskulls.

This is like mafia thinking, justifying illegal behavior.

Surprisingly the SAO didn't think enough to charge, clear cut official misconduct, creating paperwork to benefit another...

Lt should be demoted, case closed.

05-30-2009, 04:01 AM
This is exactly why the public does not respect us anymore, and demand we take pay cuts. These criminals are no differant then the criminals in corrections. try them all, they are a black eye to this already embarressed Department.
Actually, you are one of the reasons why the public does not respect Law Enforcement. Here you are making the statement,"These criminals are no differant then the criminals in corrections." I'm a betting man, and I would be willing to bet that you have no clue as to what really happened with the corrections hospital overtime. You just like repeating what gossip you might have heard. Why don't you do what real Cops Do, and investigate for themselves before running their mouths.... I can guarantee that you have no clue as to how the Corrections Hospital Overtime worked, and what was required to make it run....

05-30-2009, 04:16 AM
and I would be willing to bet that you have no clue as to what really happened with the corrections hospital overtime.

um....a jury of their peers found them guilty of felonious crimes?

What I win? What I win???

05-30-2009, 06:24 AM
deserves the money???

He isn't even a cop, just a dog handler.

Every corporal should feel slapped in the face by these numskulls.

This is like mafia thinking, justifying illegal behavior.

Surprisingly the SAO didn't think enough to charge, clear cut official misconduct, creating paperwork to benefit another...

Lt should be demoted, case closed.

Just a dog handler? That guy is probably 100 times the Cop you'll ever be.

05-30-2009, 09:01 PM
yeah of course he is.... Hey lets give him a raise!!!

slipping
down
the
slippery
slope

05-30-2009, 09:17 PM
and I would be willing to bet that you have no clue as to what really happened with the corrections hospital overtime.

You win a bag of donuts!!! "a jury of their peers found them guilty of felonious crimes?" Just like I said before, you only repeat what gossip you have heard. To set the record straight, Only one of the seven has been to trial. Yes he was found guilty, but as you will see in the future alot of inpropriates happened with the State Attorneys Office during that trial. And for the record, the Judge even stated during his sentencing hearing that she saw that there was "No Criminal Intent" on the part of Lt. Darrin McCray. That is the reason he is currently out on bond awaiting a decision by the 4th District Court of Appeals. As for the other six, they are still waiting to go to trial. By the way, what ever happened to "Innocent till proven guilty!" ? I guess everyone you arrest is definitely guilty! You must be the man on the streets.... I tremble with fear as I type, you might even be on patrol in my neighborhood. Oh sh_T, I see a patrol car, let hide under my sheets....

05-31-2009, 04:30 AM
Unbelievable. Justifying theft by a Lt.

Criminal Intent??

Why because he didn't wear a mask?

Steal from a 7-11?

I'm glad the jury did it's job and saw through the nonsense, and "waiting for a appeal process" is the usual poo a criminal would say.

A MAN would fess up, take ownership, and say, "I did it".

I guess he missed that day in kindergarten.

05-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Unbelievable. Justifying theft by a Lt.

Criminal Intent??

Why because he didn't wear a mask?

Steal from a 7-11?

I'm glad the jury did it's job and saw through the nonsense, and "waiting for a appeal process" is the usual poo a criminal would say.

A MAN would fess up, take ownership, and say, "I did it".

I guess he missed that day in kindergarten.
I guess you missed a few more during the academy! But that's ok, because You the Man!

06-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Some of you have way to much time on your hands. Why dont up out half the energy you put in to this and just do your job. If you knew all the facts on both K9 and corrections you would be ashamed to have written what you have. Get a life...

06-01-2009, 12:09 AM
[quote="Guest113"] Guest113and the other anonymous poster...You have no idea what you are talking about...you are the reason people get pissed off... [deleted]

06-02-2009, 04:39 AM
Its that canine guy's greed and selfishness that got the others in trouble. He was only thinking of himself and he got caught up in that scary "E" word that many others become intertwined in. Three good sergeants were hurt by an idiot LT and a fat out of shape canine handler that fell in love with Entitlement and thought that he was owed the money because of his greatness. Just ask him and he will tell you that he is the best trainer this agency has had since Bobby. He says that Mike is pretty good. That's how full of himself he is. Legend in his own mind. Looks like an overweight slob. Says he was a marine? Says he is a trainer? Sure.

06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
The guys in corrections at least worked the overtime...how they got it was the question...this guy received the overtime without working it.....goes to show there is no level playing field here at the SO.....so whats new!

country clubber
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
The playing field seems to be made uneven by the state attorney, as IA supposedly felt there was p.c. to charge, however in this case the SA said no dice.

06-03-2009, 11:07 PM

Did you say a jury, a jury who based their decisions on the emotions of the court. The only thing you have won is prayer. It is a shame that you can down other deputies and you not know the truth. But you go right ahead and rejoice in your ignorance. Just know I wouldn't want you to backup me if I you were the last person standing in this county.

06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
10-33, HOLD ON THERE DEPUTY DOG, The Deputy that got the OT worked for it. He was doing training and because he wasn't a Cpl, he didn't get the pay but he was doing the work. So the Lt who is a stand up guy, payed him as if he was a Cpl.
what is wrong with that. He did a job and got paid for it.
Maybe IA should focus on the Adm and IA Capt that leave early and plays golf every week. They don't take comp time or vaction time they just leave and play golf , now thats THEFT .

06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
What wrong with that? The Lt has no authority to "appoint" him a Cpl.

Cpls aren't selected by the department head, there is an actual process and command structure with FTOs.

You are a lost cause if you don't understand this.

06-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Did you say a jury, a jury who based their decisions on the emotions of the court. The only thing you have won is prayer. It is a shame that you can down other deputies and you not know the truth. But you go right ahead and rejoice in your ignorance. Just know I wouldn't want you to backup me if I you were the last person standing in this county.

Only system we got soul sister....

I'm downing a convicted felon..... he lost the right to be called a deputy some time ago.

06-12-2009, 05:22 AM

Cpls aren't selected by the department head, there is an actual process and command structure with FTOs.

You have no clue.
in this case the K9 Lt never appointed him as a Cpl, however this deputy was conducting training for our K9 teams. He accepted the responsibility and liability for conducting the training so he should have been compensated for it just like as if he was a Cpl.

The Lt didn't just pick him out of the other handlers for no reason, he obviously had the skills to do the job. If someone is appointed to a position accepting more responsibility they should get the pay , even if it is only temporary.

There was no theft as he actually worked the hours he was paid for .

06-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Wow sound like hard work...

Sad that has nothing to do with being a Cpl/FTO.

As a FTO, I take what you said as a complete insult to my position in this agency. Perhaps you should turn in the doggie and walk a mile in a pair of CPl Road Patrol shoes first before drooling this SHAT from your keyboard.

06-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow sound like hard work...

Sad that has nothing to do with being a Cpl/FTO.

As a FTO, I take what you said as a complete insult to my position in this agency. Perhaps you should turn in the doggie and walk a mile in a pair of CPl Road Patrol shoes first before drooling this SHAT from your keyboard.
LOL

06-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah really and when you are not compensated enough for what you do then just help yourself to some extra pay. For the fat boy canine trainer and not FTO its called entitlement. Him and other rookies out here have that entitlement thing going on and think they should be paid every penny for what they do. May be we should see what they are actually worth and start looking at there pay from there. This is a canine trainer that gets to hang out and bully other canine guys in the training school and not even work the road like a real cop. He hangs out in canine school cause he is to out of shape to run with the others. Come out here on the streets and be a real cop and real FTO and quit hiding in schools trying to collect all of the money that you think you are entitled to having.

06-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Yeah... This guys idea of a "Hot Seat Car" is when his furry partner drops a steaming load on the floorboard between Chili's restaurant runs....

06-15-2009, 01:17 AM

Specialized units can pick their own FTO's.