PDA

View Full Version : LCSO's major's demotion stands

05-28-2009, 11:47 AM
A demoted Lee County sheriff’s major won’t be getting back his former rank and higher pay.

The sheriff’s Civil Service Board voted 4-1 Wednesday to let stand Scott Ciresi’s demotion from major to captain, resulting in a $21,000-a-year pay cut.

“There is just cause for the demotion to the rank of captain,” said sheriff’s Lt. Jim Brown, board chairman.

Only board member Chris Arey, a detective, dissented. “I don’t believe he was demoted correctly,” Arey said.

Ciresi was demoted in late March by Sheriff Mike Scott.

Scott testified that he demoted Ciresi because of poor leadership and communications skills, including repeatedly not returning phone calls.

The sheriff removed Ciresi from command of the Special Operations Bureau, which includes the SWAT team and the narcotics and vice, gang, intelligence and sexual predator units. He was made captain of Echo District, which includes parts of east and south Fort Myers.

Ciresi appealed to the Civil Service Board, claiming there was no legitimate reason for his demotion and that the reasons for his reduction in rank weren’t put in writing.

“Quite frankly, we don’t know why this happened. His personnel record shows no disciplinary action leading up to the demotion. This action was not supported by the rules and should be reversed,” Ciresi’s attorney, Doug Wilson, told the board.

However, Scott testified that Ciresi held a command level rank — the third highest in the agency — and answered to the sheriff.

“The sheriff has the ability to reorganize, conduct investigations and to demote. I don’t write reports to myself,” Scott said.

There were plenty of reasons to demote Ciresi, the sheriff said.

Scott said that over the past two years, Ciresi repeatedly didn’t return phone calls. “We live in a day and age where there is no excuse for not returning phone calls and e-mails,” the sheriff said.

During the time Ciresi oversaw Special Operations, seven SWAT team members resigned at the same time, Scott said. The sheriff said that since Ciresi’s demotion, most of those deputies have rejoined the SWAT team.

Scott said the end result was that he decided to remove Ciresi from Special Operations and give him a smaller command at a lower rank.

05-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Scott Caresi allegedly (no documentation) does not answer a few of the Sheriff’s phone calls and is demoted with 21,000 taken from him. The Sheriff also said that he has disciplined Scott Caresi numerous times but no documentation exists in his file and the Sheriff goes on to say that he does not have to write a memo to himself which would have proven the alleged discipline. The Sheriff said that seven Swat member left the team which is a lie, only 2 left the team because the team members were told they would have to complete the same Physical fitness test new candidates were required to complete making sure that all current members were in top physical condition. The Board still votes against Caresi just like they did to Farrente. Ryan Bell names both Caresi and Farrente in a complaint and his dad is allowed to vote in the process, this is horrible. :roll:

05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Breaking News:

Ciresi exercised his guaranteed rights to the Civil Service Board to defend himself against a wrongful discipline, and now the Sheriff is ordering an IA over statements he made in the hearing. The same Sheriff who sat in the room and with a dead stare at the board members while they voted to make sure they did not vote against him. This is intimidation to the highest degree and we better get a union fast, obviously none of us are going to ever get a fair shake. I think it is pretty clear the Sheriff is running the agency by fear and intimidation.

05-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Fear and intimidation? I thought that all went away when we got rid of those meanies the Ferrantes. Isn't everything supposed to be perfect now that they're gone? I don't get it.

05-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Fear and intimidation? I thought that all went away when we got rid of those meanies the Ferrantes. Isn't everything supposed to be perfect now that they're gone? I don't get it.

Say what you want but those two actually saved alot of jobs, and dont respond with some bs remarks unless you can prove that they buried people. Overlook their personalities and look at what they truly did for you us. Did any of this BS happen when they were here? NO

It started with them first and it trickled downward. It is not over just wait and see what is going to happen next. Trust me

05-30-2009, 03:22 AM
Scott Caresi allegedly (no documentation) does not answer a few of the Sheriff’s phone calls and is demoted with 21,000 taken from him. The Sheriff also said that he has disciplined Scott Caresi numerous times but no documentation exists in his file and the Sheriff goes on to say that he does not have to write a memo to himself which would have proven the alleged discipline. The Sheriff said that seven Swat member left the team which is a lie, only 2 left the team because the team members were told they would have to complete the same Physical fitness test new candidates were required to complete making sure that all current members were in top physical condition. The Board still votes against Caresi just like they did to Farrente. Ryan Bell names both Caresi and Farrente in a complaint and his dad is allowed to vote in the process, this is horrible. :roll:

I wasn't there but I was told there were two incidents documented, one a few years ago for not answering his phone and another incident where he was suspended a day for mishandling something else. I was also told he denied an appeal to a grievance that the Sheriff approved.

I have always felt bad for Ciresi, he was over his head from the beginning. We should all be so lucky as to go from Cpl. to Major, regardless of the $21,000 he lost his retirement is already set (5 highest years). He is still make more than most everyone at the agency $108,000. That's a lot more than I'm making. :cop:

05-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I wasn't there but I was told there were two incidents documented, one a few years ago for not answering his phone and another incident where he was suspended a day for mishandling something else. I was also told he denied an appeal to a grievance that the Sheriff approved.

I have always felt bad for Ciresi, he was over his head from the beginning. We should all be so lucky as to go from Cpl. to Major, regardless of the $21,000 he lost his retirement is already set (5 highest years). He is still make more than most everyone at the agency $108,000. That's a lot more than I'm making. :cop:[/quote]

?????? Ciresi was over his head from the begginning? Who promoted him? Wheres the Sheriffs paycut for his mishandlings, and lack of leadership skills? So we should never question a demotion,and just be grateful that we make more than most in the agency? You generalize trying to sound semi intelligent, and of course we know youre not! Pssst.... Guess whats in store for him now after this appeal? An IA and possible termination! :shock: What a surprise, right? Well, dont worry Mikes getting rid of all the bad guys so things will be perfect! No more lies, or intimidation! :roll: