PDA

View Full Version : What handguns can be carried on duty?

05-27-2009, 06:15 AM
I am just wondering how strict the VCSO is on which handguns officers carry. I dont plan on applying for a police job for about 2 years but I want to get a handgun to start practicing.

My first choice would be a 1911, such as a Springfield TRP Operator. Are you allowed to carry a 1911 ****ed and locked?

2nd would be either an H&K HK45C or Sig P220 SAO, last resort would be a Glock 21SF. As you can tell I'm a fan of the .45 round.

05-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Also, are you issued a shotgun and an AR-15/rifle or just a shotgun?

06-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Noone can tell me? I guess its understandable for safety reasons, but if anyone knows if 1911's are okay let me know.

06-06-2009, 04:03 PM
NO!!!!!

06-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Is that a no as in you cant tell me or no you cant use them? Like I said, I want to get whichever handgun I will use on duty so I can practice and become proficient.

06-07-2009, 11:43 AM
No as in you can't use them. The only firearm that can be carried as duty weapon is the glock 35 (issued). You can carry the 45 for a back-up or off duty weapon. Save your money for after you go to work here, you;ll need it then.

06-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Wow thats kind of disappointing, only Glock 35's? Youd think they'd want officers that have to service a large area of land and sometimes not have backup for a while to be comfortable with/choose what they carry.

Thanks for the info though.

Is the pay really that bad? I have been trying to research as much as I can on here, but its kind of difficult without talking to someone who has been through it all. My parents keep saying that going to a PD or SO straight after getting my BA it Stetson is a waste (as far as pay), I hope thats not true. At the very least I will enjoy the job (I've done ride alongs and know a lot of officers from when I lived in NJ).

06-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Less than $30K a year without overtime.

06-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Well then quit if its so danm bad you ingrate sunuvabit*ch!

06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Wow really? I thought it was closer to $40k, as thats what Ive heard people talking about. :shock:

Doesnt seem like enough to start my own life on.

06-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Well then quit if its so danm bad you ingrate sunuvabit*ch!
I wasn't complaining, crying, whining, or being an "ingrate". I was answering the man's question honestly. If you are a deputy, please finish ftep and/or probation before ranting. If you're not a deputy, please return to the News-Journal blogs so you may converse with others of your ilk. Apparently this has struck a nerve with you. I'm finished with you, you may go now.

06-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Wow you guys are packing some heat, cool your jets!

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate the info, now I wont waste my money on a nice 1911 like a TRP. Well, I probably still will, but only after I get a Glock 35 so I can practice with what I'll be carrying. Or at least a Glock (21SF most likely, as I said, Im a fan of .45 over anything).

06-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Correction, pay for a full time deputy is approx. $32K a year without overtime. Just wanted to give you the correct info.

06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Are there any pay benefits for having a 4 year degree and things like that? I was looking at the salary for departments around Raleigh, NC and they have a ton of little bonuses (4 year degree, proficient with firearm, etc.).

And how about the step pay? Is it really as bad as everyone is saying?

Thanks again for the info.

06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Are there any pay benefits for having a 4 year degree and things like that? I was looking at the salary for departments around Raleigh, NC and they have a ton of little bonuses (4 year degree, proficient with firearm, etc.).

Not wanting to insult but all you have to do is read the messages here. The step plan is yet another failure from our pathetic union (Teamsters).

Don't come here for the pay. You will have the opportunity to work an unbelievable amount of overtime (some voluntary...some not). But if you are basing a decision on pay then this is not the place. The morale could be a little better too....

06-11-2009, 12:04 AM

Not wanting to insult but all you have to do is read the messages here. The step plan is yet another failure from our pathetic union (Teamsters).

Don't come here for the pay. You will have the opportunity to work an unbelievable amount of overtime (some voluntary...some not). But if you are basing a decision on pay then this is not the place. The morale could be a little better too....

Then go away, friend. It's soooooo danm bad then just fade away, pal. The morale problem is solely because of ingrates like YOU, buddy.
Dont like it? THEN QUIT!!!

06-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestion...friend. I think I will stay and try to improve the agency. And there seems to be a lacking of spelling of "damn" throughout this site. In this discussion and the Ralph Henshaw discussion writers seem to want to spell "damn" as "danm"

06-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Well its not so much for the pay now but the pay in the future.. not having a step plan is really worrying, even if I plan to go federal asap (which may not happen, you never know).

What are the average hours/work days like? How much paper work do you have to do for each case/arrest/stop (I always wondered this but didnt have anyone to ask)? How is the insurance, etc.? Also, I heard many depts. preferred to not take DSC law enforcement academy graduates vs. other academies because theyre "not as good," is that nonsense?

06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion...friend. I think I will stay and try to improve the agency. And there seems to be a lacking of spelling of "darn" throughout this site. In this discussion and the Ralph Henshaw discussion writers seem to want to spell "darn" as "danm"

We spell it "danm" because the correct spelling causes the filter to change it to "darn" which sounds like a sissy word. You must be a computer-illiterate. Danm sunuvabi*tch.

09-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Just wondering, are deputies issued shotguns and rifles or just handguns?

Are you allowed to carry whichever rifle/shotgun you want or is it like the handgun where you have to use what is issued?

I would like to carry a Benelli M3 Super 90 (LE short model if possible) when I join the force if possible, as its the platform I have the most faith in.

09-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Just wondering, are deputies issued shotguns and rifles or just handguns?

Are you allowed to carry whichever rifle/shotgun you want or is it like the handgun where you have to use what is issued?

I would like to carry a Benelli M3 Super 90 (LE short model if possible) when I join the force if possible, as its the platform I have the most faith in.

Sorry once again....the only shotgun is the 870. rifles are issued (ar-15, full stock), but you may carry your own after qualifying with it. It must be the ar-15, and you have to use the iron sights. By the way, you do have some freedom as to your backup/off duty pistol.

09-30-2009, 03:16 AM
I can deal with the 870, my father has one and it is a solid shotgun, so thats not too bad.

So you can use your own rifle but it has to be an AR-15 model with iron sights? Thats interesting. I'd rather use my M1A but the AR-15 is the standard so it's understandable.

What are the procedures for carrying a backup sidearm? Im still hoping to get a Springfield TRP (1911) some day.

Also, last question, are the taser and/or pepper spray qualifications done in the academy or is that a part of training after employment?

Thanks for the info. :)

09-30-2009, 03:20 AM
I forgot the other question I wanted to ask, sorry! I really am a curious bugger, arent I? This place is great for info. that would be hard to find elsewhere.

What is the low down on vests? I would rather buy my own vest (even if its more expensive) and know it would be cooler in the summer months, and preferably IIIA protection (to defeat the .45 round in the 1911 I would carry, or even if not, to defeat it anyway).

Thanks.

P.S.

This 870 is a nice looking piece of hardware! http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700249711.html

10-03-2009, 12:30 AM
I forgot the other question I wanted to ask, sorry! I really am a curious bugger, arent I? This place is great for info. that would be hard to find elsewhere.

What is the low down on vests? I would rather buy my own vest (even if its more expensive) and know it would be cooler in the summer months, and preferably IIIA protection (to defeat the .45 round in the 1911 I would carry, or even if not, to defeat it anyway).

Thanks.

P.S.

This 870 is a nice looking piece of hardware! http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700249711.html

The s.o. has two very good vests to chose from. Save your bucks and wear the issued vest.

10-03-2009, 12:32 AM
I can deal with the 870, my father has one and it is a solid shotgun, so thats not too bad.

So you can use your own rifle but it has to be an AR-15 model with iron sights? Thats interesting. I'd rather use my M1A but the AR-15 is the standard so it's understandable.

What are the procedures for carrying a backup sidearm? Im still hoping to get a Springfield TRP (1911) some day.

Also, last question, are the taser and/or pepper spray qualifications done in the academy or is that a part of training after employment?

Thanks for the info. :)

You have to qualify with your backup gun. It can be a .22 up to a .45.
The taser/o.c. spray qual is done during training after employment.

10-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks again!

10-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Your a loser..

10-06-2009, 11:01 PM
You're a loser for taking the time to say Im a loser.

10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Your a loser..

You're a loser for not knowing how to use the correct grammar in your post "you're" vice the "your"