PDA

View Full Version : BOCC

05-08-2009, 07:04 PM
On May 20th 2009 the Monroe County Board of County Commisioners is meeting in Key Largo. We need Deputies and all our friends and family members to come and show support for us and encourage the Board to finance a substantial raise for Deputies and Sergeants. Deputies in Monroe County make 10,000 to 15,000 a year less than our brothers and sisters in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Monroe Deputies also have the worst benefits package in the State. The 10,000 to 15,000 a year Iam talking about is base pay, it doesn't include the extra 30,000 a year officers in the other counties can make in OT and off Duties. Deputies in Monroe County provide much better service to our community than these higher paid agencies. In terms of response time and the nature of calls we respond to. I like most of the deputies here take great pride in this service we provide and would like to continue my service to Monroe County. However the majority of the deputies with the Sheriffs Office are being forced to consider other employment for financial reasons.

Our New Sheriff is a Law Enforcement Officer in whom I place my respect and trust. The Sheriff has stated he supports our efforts to obtain a livable wage. The Sheriff can not provide this wage under the current budget, this is obvious from the current contract offers. Therefore we must take the matter to the BOCC and ask for a 10,000.00 a year across the board pay increase for Deputies and Sergeants. This would not place us on par with the surrounding Counties. But I believe it would be a start and something we can build on in the future.

We need to have business leaders and community members support us and join us at the BOCC meeting. I have spoken to citizens in the community who are shocked at the wages earned by deputies here in Monroe County.

Almost half of the employees of the Sheriffs Office have less than 5 years with the agency. That means if they are sworn deputies they make less than 39,000 a years. So half of your employees can not purchase a home in the county. This fact contributes the high number of Deputies that live outside of the county. This is also the same half that because of thier low wage will consider leaving to seek a livable wage. These circumstances can contribute to an unfortunate cycle of an entire agency with less than 5 years experience and have the Monroe County tax payers continue to pay for the training of Law Enforcement officer for the surrounding counties, costing millions of dollars. Thus leaving Monroe County with only the officers the other counties did not want. Yes the Sherriffs Office will always be able to hire someone to work as a deputy, but don't you want, no don't you deserve the best you can get.

Everyone come to the new county building on May 20th in Key Largo 102mm

05-09-2009, 12:50 AM
I make $36,400 a year, and have been here for three years! I live outside the county because I can't afford to live where I work. I will look else where for employment with another agency, even though I love my job with MCSO.

On May 20th 2009 the Monroe County Board of County Commissioners is meeting in Key Largo. We need Deputies and all our friends and family members to come and show support for us and encourage the Board to finance a substantial raise for Deputies and Sergeants. Deputies in Monroe County make 10,000 to 15,000 a year less than our brothers and sisters in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Monroe Deputies also have the worst benefits package in the State. The 10,000 to 15,000 a year Iam talking about is base pay, it doesn't include the extra 30,000 a year officers in the other counties can make in OT and off Duties. Deputies in Monroe County provide much better service to our community than these higher paid agencies. In terms of response time and the nature of calls we respond to. I like most of the deputies here take great pride in this service we provide and would like to continue my service to Monroe County. However the majority of the deputies with the Sheriffs Office are being forced to consider other employment for financial reasons.

Our New Sheriff is a Law Enforcement Officer in whom I place my respect and trust. The Sheriff has stated he supports our efforts to obtain a livable wage. The Sheriff can not provide this wage under the current budget, this is obvious from the current contract offers. Therefore we must take the matter to the BOCC and ask for a 10,000.00 a year across the board pay increase for Deputies and Sergeants. This would not place us on par with the surrounding Counties. But I believe it would be a start and something we can build on in the future.

We need to have business leaders and community members support us and join us at the BOCC meeting. I have spoken to citizens in the community who are shocked at the wages earned by deputies here in Monroe County.

Almost half of the employees of the Sheriffs Office have less than 5 years with the agency. That means if they are sworn deputies they make less than 39,000 a years. So half of your employees can not purchase a home in the county. This fact contributes the high number of Deputies that live outside of the county. This is also the same half that because of their low wage will consider leaving to seek a livable wage. These circumstances can contribute to an unfortunate cycle of an entire agency with less than 5 years experience and have the Monroe County tax payers continue to pay for the training of Law Enforcement officer for the surrounding counties, costing millions of dollars. Thus leaving Monroe County with only the officers the other counties did not want. Yes the Sheriff's Office will always be able to hire someone to work as a deputy, but don't you want, no don't you deserve the best you can get.

Everyone come to the new county building on May 20th in Key Largo 102mm