PDA

View Full Version : pc hiring question

04-21-2009, 07:49 PM
hi i recently graduated the academy and have already had an oral board with pcpd... i have heard of a few people getting hired recently... i talked to "the chief's office" and was told my app was on hold... what exactly does this mean? there are officer positions posted on the city page...

04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
As a former PCPD officer, I caution you to seek a career with another agency. Why, you ask? Just simply read the other posts on this site.

Good luck.

04-24-2009, 03:02 AM
thanks, but i wiould like to work for plant city and you answered none of my questions...

04-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Plant City is a good agency to work for; we have great people that work here and that care about each other. As with every agency everywhere we have problems (like budgets and people that are having a bad day for whatever reason).

04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I agree with the above poster. The agency is a great place to work but unfortunatly the nay sayers are more prevelant on this board than the majority of us. The people here are top notch. The Department is currently undergoing a massive overhaul via orginizational chart, new hires, and potential new hires. While the budget problems all over the state have hurt us, we have not been forced to lay any officers off and hopefully will be back up to power sooner than later. Our pay is competitive starting at $42,910.00 and providing a step program which will max you out in 9-10 years at around $65,000. The steps do not include cost of living raisers, rank promotions, or overtime/off duty. Our retirement requires 10% pay in, which while high, will be the norm pretty soon. TPD is currently paying around 3% in but if you ask them they are expecting to bump to 10% soon due to the economy. We can retire at 75% after 20 years of service and the PD has a drop program of 5 years. You must live within a 20 mile radius of the department to be employed(As the crow flies). If you don't, you have 6 months from the date of hire to come into compliance. Give Det. Maurer a call in the Training Unit, he is the appointed recruiter until we are up to power and will give you information. Good luck, and don't listen to the people who dog the department, they just don't know or are bitter due to their performance.

04-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Do you have take home cars for the whole 20 mile radius and does the crow fly from the city center or city limits? trying to figure out just how far northeast / east that goes. thanks

04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
If you live in the radius area, you have take home priviledge to drive to and from work or if you go to a Dept. approved school. If you live within or move to the city you can even use your take home car to run personal errands. If you do however, you have to have your service weapon, badge and a jacket in case you have to take action ( duty to act )

As some of the other posters have said, this is a good agency. If you come here and you determine that it's not the place for you...thats fine. The key is that YOU make your own decision that is right for you. The fact of the matter is that the naysayers have no loyalty or integrity. While no agency or person is perfect...how dare you talk bad about the hand that feeds you. If you read the previous posts, half of the people talking crap are people who work here. Others who have left I say good riddance to, while others have left because of such a big difference in pay. We lost good officers as a result. Now with the raise we got there is no reason for people to leave.

04-29-2009, 12:19 AM
I think the answer to the actual initial question is that we are still under a hiring freeze but got special permission to hire 4 officers. We are posting the position of officer on the website because we are trying to have enough applications on file so that when/if we get the grant funds we will have people ready to start immediately. That is probably why your application is "on hold" at this time. If you are no longer being considered you should get a letter from the department.

05-21-2009, 03:12 PM
ok thank you i have not recieved a letter, so im hopin for the best