PDA

View Full Version : Was Officer Murphy ever convicted of sexually abusing minors

04-17-2009, 02:08 PM
03/23/04 - Florida - After four hours Monday, attorneys selected six jurors to decide whether a former Cape Coral Police Officer engaged in unlawful sexual activity with a minor.

John P. Murphy, 37, faces the charges of unlawful sexual activity and sexual battery by a police officer.

Murphy also has four similar charges pending in Lee County.

Circuit Judge Donald Pellecchia will decide whether the alleged victims from the Lee County cases will testify in the current Charlotte County trial during a hearing this morning.

Murphy, who is no longer a police officer, was working at a an explorer camp from March 30 to April 2, 2001 at the Boy Scout Campgrounds off State Road 74, in eastern Charlotte County. Teens involved in police and hospital Explorer groups from around the state attended the camp.

After engaging in sexually oriented conversations with some of the young female campers, Murphy commented to one 16-year-old girl that she would be legal in one more year. On the second night of camp, Murphy was alone with the girl and began kissing her, according to the arrest report.

She pulled away from the graying Murphy, saying "she was too young and he was too old," the report states.

Murphy allegedly began giving her a back massage which progressed to rubbing other parts. The teen told him to stop, the report states.

"Officer Murphy told her that since she was a virgin, that before giving herself to someone she really cares about, she should first have sex with someone experienced, that way she could learn to better satisfy her partner," according to the report.

The former cop then exposed himself, grabbed the victim's hand and began fondling himself. Murphy allegedly asked the girl to perform oral sex, telling her he wouldn't allow her to return to camp unless she obliged, police reported. He then pulled her head into his lap.

Jury selection began around 2 p.m. Monday at the Charlotte County Justice Center.

Most prospective jurors thought they were going to decide a DUI case, or perhaps, a burglary.

But when the judge announced the charges of the case, some jurors cringed, put their hand to their head or looked down.

09/10/04 - Florida - The former Cape Coral police officer accused of molesting several teens is back behind bars on a new charge.

John P. Murphy, 37, was arrested recently on a charge of perjury after allegedly lying during his March sexual battery trial, which ended in a mistrial.

Murphy was accused of forcing a 16-year-old girl to perform oral sex on March 31, 2001, while he was supervising a police explorer camp at the Boy Scouts Campground, off State Road 74 in Charlotte County.

During the trial, jurors heard from other young women who told similar stories of being molested or forced to perform sexual acts by Murphy, who was often on duty as a police officer during the incidents.

The now 21-year-old woman told jurors she was fondled while riding along with Murphy as a police explorer in his patrol car while she was 16 years old.

The victim was able to provide specific details about where the molestation occurred while Murphy was conducting traffic duties in Cape Coral.

When Murphy testified, he claimed he never performed traffic duties at that location.

But Charlotte County prosecutors have discovered otherwise.

The State Attorney's Office acquired documents from the Cape Coral Police Department indicating Murphy did in fact perform traffic duties many times along the street the victim described.

Now, in addition to facing molestation charges in Charlotte and Lee counties, Murphy has been locked up at the Charlotte County Jail on a perjury charge.

"Perjury charges are not common because they're very difficult to prove," said Assistant State Attorney Dan Feinberg.

Murphy is being held on $20,000 bond for the perjury charge.

04-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Well in Lee County at least, the answer is yes... i guess he misunderstood what the "Police Explorer" program is all about. :wink:

Murphy, John P 1/27/1967 01-CF-001933 5/24/2001 Closed 1
LEWD/LASCIVIOUS MOLESTATION
Jan 4 2005
DEF SENT/ADJ GUILTY

Murphy, John P 1/27/1967 01-CF-001303 4/12/2001 Closed 1
LEWD/LASCIVIOUS MOLESTATION
SEXUAL BATTERY-FAMILIAL AUTHORITY
Jan 4 2005
Jan 4 2005
DEF SENT/ADJ GUILTY
NOLLE PROSSED

Murphy, John P 1/27/1967 01-CF-001929 5/24/2001 Closed 1
SEXUAL BATTERY
UNLAWFUL SEXUAL ACTIVITY
UNLAWFUL SEXUAL ACTIVITY
Jan 4 2005
Jan 4 2005
Jan 4 2005
DEF SENT/ADJ GUILTY
NOLLE PROSSED
NOLLE PROSSED

Murphy, John P 1/27/1967 01-CF-001932 5/24/2001 Closed 1
SEXUAL BATTERY
SEXUAL BATTERY
Jan 4 2005
Jun 16 2004
NOLLE PROSSED
NOLLE PROSSED

Murphy, John P 1/27/1967 05-CF-000001 4/19/2001 Closed 1
UNLAWFUL SEXUAL ACTIVITY
SEXUAL BATTERY/VICTIM OVER 12 WITH SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Jan 4 2005
Jan 4 2005
NOLLE PROSSED
DEF SENT/ADJ GUILTY

04-17-2009, 02:57 PM
What do you know he was just released last week after serving 4+ years. looks like he's trying to keep a low profile in Las Vegas... sounds like just the place to go when your out on parole and trying to stay out of trouble! lol :devil:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/InmateReleases/detail.asp?Bookmark=10&From=list&SessionID=954655478

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/Detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=954857788

http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=41166

04-17-2009, 03:05 PM
It doesn't look like he's registered with AZ as a sex offnder yet. At least it's not in their online database yet...

04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Ok he is a piece of crap, but what is the purpose of this post? That was a long time ago.

04-17-2009, 07:48 PM
I came across it while browsing www.policecrimes.com (http://www.policecrimes.com) and didn't recall hearing about it or what the outcome was. So i tried googling him but didn't find anything else about it, that's when i posted it here wondering whatever happened to him. Afterward i thought to check leeclerk.org etc. and found out what the outcome was so i followed up with it here.

Besides old news or not i don't think anyone is foolish enough to think he doesn't still have a hard-on for teenage girls, and he's shown his willingness to abuse a position of authority to have his way with them.

I think a lot of people don't bother to check predator databases but do google a new coworker, neighbor or whatever out of curiosity. Now when they do they'll find a link to leoaffairs.com with all the details in one place.

04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Is this by chance the same John Murphy who was in the Army at Fort Hood in the 86-87 time frame?

04-29-2009, 05:43 PM
No idea, i'm sure there are plenty of John Murphys in the US. I hope anyone who finds this confirms it's the same guy before jumping to conclusions!

If you served with him and he was about 18~19 back then you could look at his 40 something yo SO registration photo and see if it jogs any brains cells.

04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
No idea, i'm sure there are plenty of John Murphys in the US. I hope anyone who finds this confirms it's the same guy before jumping to conclusions!

If you served with him and he was about 18~19 back then you could look at his 40 something yo SO registration photo and see if it jogs any brains cells.

The John Murphy from the 410 MP Company at Ft Hood, was from Lee County, and returned there when he got out in about 87 or 88. I want to say that he was from Lehigh Acres, if that is in Lee County.

I looked at the picture. I'm about 90% sure after looking at the picture a number of times. I was just hoping someone could verify it though.

04-30-2009, 04:29 PM

The John Murphy from the 410 MP Company at Ft Hood, was from Lee County, and returned there when he got out in about 87 or 88. I want to say that he was from Lehigh Acres, if that is in Lee County.

I looked at the picture. I'm about 90% sure after looking at the picture a number of times. I was just hoping someone could verify it though.

I found his booking photo at Lee County SO web site and confirmed that it is the same John Murphy. Just goes to show, you never know people like you think you do.

04-30-2009, 04:31 PM

I found his booking photo at Lee County SO web site and confirmed that it is the same John Murphy. Just goes to show, you never know people like you think you do.

http://www.sheriffleefl.org/images/special/mugshot.aspx?view=2&type=mugshot&x=200&y=200&id=171705

06-08-2009, 02:32 AM
I was around during J. Murphy's time. He was a POS that came to the Cape from the Airport. He was never worth spit and called out more than once driving the wrong way from hot calls. The bravest thing he ever did was picking the extra large dildo for the little 14 year old girl to stick up his A$$.
He should have done the same as O'Hara.