PDA

View Full Version : Question???

04-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I called the sarasota poliuce department today because I have heard that there have been numerous robberies in the area in which I live, mostly involving women as victim's. I asked if it would be possible to be connected to the crime prevention/intervention office so that I could speak with someone about the situation. I was told that the crime prevention officers had been cut due to a lack of funding because of the economy. What can I do as a City resident to help bring these units/officers back, they provide a great service to the community and should be a part of any police department. It is a shame that these officers lost their postitions becuase of $$$, what is the price paid by the victim's that were attacked? Thank You

05-28-2009, 07:47 AM
If you really knew the reality of what has happened to the police department, you would sell your house and move out of Sarasota. We used to be allotted 204 officers. This was not enough with the growth of the city. We are now down to 176 or 174, numbers that havent been seen since the 1980s. Crime is up, violence is up, number of cops are down. But, as long as the city has money for the important things like statues, art, etc. Why does city commisioner Bartoloto make nearly 200k. Because he is willing to save so much more at the city residents expense. By cutting neccessities like cops. Oh, and by the way, 10 more cops jobs are on the chopping block. We are down to 1 marine patrol boat, but thats not important because Sarasota isnt surrounded by water.

Two things you should do. In no particular order 1. Get a gun and protect yourself. Kill the scum if he enters your home. 2. Go talk to your elected commisioners, the mayor and the overpayed, Bartoloto. Find out where the taxes are going, and where the cuts are coming from.

Dont believe the herald, it isnt giving you the real truth.

05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Justice Departnment says for a City with no jail responsibilities is 2.5 officers per 1,000 residents. That's 137.
Every other City does it at that ratio but the City of Sarasota needs 200 Officers. No wonder the City is going broke!

05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Although the Justice Department recommends a certain ratio. The fact of the mattter is the Justice Department doesn't work cases in the CIty of Sarasota, doesn't handle call for service, and doesn't go to work in the City of Sarasota everyday. This City is used to a certain level of service from their respective departments, and I think that the Police Department has been an example of the way things should be done as opposed to the way that the Justice Department advises that they be done. If the citizens of Sarasota still require a "full service" police department instead of a telephone reporting service for crimes not in progress, which is currently employeed by the Manatee County Sheriff's Department, then the officers on the street are line items that needs to be budgeted for. If in fact the City demands that the police department be reduced then it is only logical that the services that are provided for will also be reduced. Hard feelings aside, the cuts that have occurred have not overtly effected the services rendered by the PD, this is only due to the fact the the Officers that have retained their jobs have been asked/ordered to take on the additional burden brought by the reduction in personel. There will come a point in the near future when this will no longer be possible, either by choice or by design. Budget reductions are a fact of life and personel reductions are more than likely possible. We can only bear the burden of the CIty's mismanagement for so long, good employees, vetran officers, are already worried about loosing their jobs.or going back to midnights for a decade. We as officers do not have the ability to fix this problem, but it seems that those that do are more interested in spending millions on a "Gateway to Payne Park" or flirting with major league baseball than fixing the problems that have now become a blight on the City's future and the future of it's employees. Worry about each other, not about those that will sell you, and you family's well being, to keep their pathetic political positions intact, that goes for those inside and outside the department.

05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Justice Departnment says for a City with no jail responsibilities is 2.5 officers per 1,000 residents. That's 137.
Every other City does it at that ratio but the City of Sarasota needs 200 Officers. No wonder the City is going broke!

Hey genius, If you count the number of road Officers there is only approx. 70 to 80 between the 4 shifts. All of the others are the brass and house mice. So according to your numbers, we are understaffed.

06-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Part of the problem is that although the city's population has stayed around 55,000, the service population is far greater. How many times do you work a crash that involves someone who lives in the city? It seems like county residents or Bradenton residents like to come here and run into each other. They get the service, but don't pay any city taxes. That's why charging non-residents for certain police services makes sense.

07-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Part of the problem is that although the city's population has stayed around 55,000, the service population is far greater. How many times do you work a crash that involves someone who lives in the city? It seems like county residents or Bradenton residents like to come here and run into each other. They get the service, but don't pay any city taxes. That's why charging non-residents for certain police services makes sense.

Are you really this stupid, I love the fact that citys who have the same amount of population as you do can handle the same amount of calls you have with fewer police officers. They all have the same problems you do in there city. But you tell us the reason Sarasota needs this amount of officers is because you have alot of vehicle crashes...What a joke. Do you not think that these other citys also have vehicle crashes. Are you trying to tell us that you have way more accidents in your city then most...You sir, need to come up with a better excuse then that...Next time you want to defend your agency, you better get a fellow officer to proof read your comments. Because your just making your agencey look like a bunch of fools. I do agree with you about keeping the amount of officers that you all ready have. You can never have enough police officers..But if you want to voice your opinion make sure you have a valid point...Because a day will come when a resident gets on this web site and reads your dumb reason and laugh...Saying these SPD fools think thats a good enough reason.

07-18-2009, 12:33 AM

They need the remaining 63 officers to engage in cover-ups, witness intimidation and obstruction of justice.