PDA

View Full Version : But we have notmoney for you Mr. Officer

04-11-2009, 03:39 PM
So Art gets gigged by the Palm Beach comPost for spending money and adding new positions at the DAC, but the PD can’t even afford to put new tires on a patrol car. Of yeah our department is really going in the right direction. The PBA has a meeting at 0830 hours the 2nd day of our Spring Break expecting members to come, and 3/4 of the membership doesn’t even get notified/show up. Our reps are doing a good job, but its the same year after year, and never going to change. The reps need to get with the CTA and explain how a PBSO merger can save the District money and this will assist them in getting the tools they need to do their job. This in turn will get us the tools to do our job.

Get in contact with the comPost and inform them how we do not have the tools to protect the students and staff correctly, and how Art Johnson refuses to even attempt to save the District money by a merger.

Also a merger would get the equipment the PD needs to provide a superior level of service. LOOK around we are down so many Officers, and after this summer we might be under 100. :evil:

I would also suggest everyone write letters to the Board, you dont have to include your name, just state what is on your mind.

04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
TALLAHASSEE — A new twist emerged this week in the debate over "double-dipping."

Some Florida officials collecting both a pension and a salary could be facing federal tax problems, possibly even the repayment of thousands of dollars.

IRS regulations prohibit employees who have not reached normal retirement age from collecting retirement benefits unless they are bona fide retirees and have terminated employment with no anticipation of continuing to work at the same job, according to a Washington tax lawyer who advises Florida pension officials.

That could present a problem for those Florida double-dippers who have taken advantage of a loophole in the law that has allowed them to "retire," stay away from their jobs for 30 days and then return, collecting their salary and a monthly pension.

It would not affect people who retired from one job and later went to work at a different job.

The issue arose this week as a bill that would ban double-dipping was passed by a Senate committee. Officials at the State Board of Administration, the agency that invests Florida's pension money, consulted tax attorneys about the bill's implications.

Ron Poppell, a senior program officer at the board, raised the issue after a conversation with David Powell, a Washington tax lawyer with the Groom Law Group, a firm that advises Florida pension officials on tax laws.

In a memo to Poppell this week, Powell said IRS regulations forbid anyone not of retirement age from leaving his job, collecting a pension and returning to the same job. If the IRS found the "retirements" to be in violation of federal law, Powell said, those who collected pensions and other benefits could be forced to repay them, with interest and a penalty. The memo did not address whether there would be any tax liability for those individuals.

The state could be penalized for violating federal regulations and lose its tax exempt status, according to Powell.

Sara Beth Snuggs, director of Florida's Division of Retirement, said she does not believe her agency is covered by the regulations Powell discussed.

But Powell, in his memo to Poppell, said the IRS' long-standing view has included plans like Florida's. Some other state pension plans have issued rules that require prospective retirees to sign a notarized statement swearing that they have not made arrangements with the same employer to continue in the job they are leaving.

That has not happened in Florida. Instead, retiring state employees must terminate their employment for 30 days before they can receive a benefit.

The approximately 220 elected officials who are double-dipping — judges, sheriffs, state attorneys, tax collectors, circuit clerks, property appraisers and others — quietly "retired" after winning re-election, stayed away for 30 days to comply with state pension rules, and returned to the same job.

In most cases, the officials made no public announcement of their retirement, leaving voters unaware that they were collecting both pensions and salaries, until the St. Petersburg Times published their names last year.

Altogether, the elected officials are collecting $936,755 a month in addition to salaries totaling $15.5 million a year and deferred benefits totaling $35.2 million.

A number of senior management officials and university professors also have "retired" with agreements to return to the same jobs.

At the University of Florida, a former medical school dean has identified several professors who had written agreements allowing them to return to their jobs when they "retired." The agreements are part of an ongoing internal investigation ordered by UF trustees.

Sen. Mike Fasano, R-Port Richey, sponsor of the Senate bill banning double-dipping, said that elected officials who retired and returned after 30 days may not be "bona fide" retirees eligible for benefits.

"The elected official may have to pay back the pension and lump sum along with penalties," Fasano said, "and the FRS (Florida Retirement System) may be responsible for penalties as well."

04-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Well said...... ;0)

COL. Klink
04-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey PBaAdvice....... here's some advice. Take your sorry NYPD butt to PBSO.org and fill out an app. Leave our Department alone.

04-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Hey PBaAdvice....... here's some advice. Take your sorry NYPD butt to PBSO.org and fill out an app. Leave our Department alone.
Hey you jerk off what makes you think the NYPD retirees are concerned with your bullspit PBA or going to the SO! We like the School District schedule and the time off. Everything is fine as far as we're concerned that is why we came here.

04-15-2009, 11:53 PM
You Yanks should go home, you have ruined Fla! And what the hell does “redirect” mean anyway? You guys sound dumb! One more thing, tell Sgt Ticket to get a life!

04-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Why do you have to resort to name calling? I like the Yanks and the rednecks. We need to join together and fight for what we deserve. Traffic 1 is a pain in the ass, but thats his thing, even though we recieve no money for those tickets he writes.........WHATEVER, he isnt causing any harm. We have never been treated fairly, and we all must stand united and fight for what we deserve. Back your PBA, and if you dont like the reps, vote them out! I think they are doing a good job, but voice yours.

04-16-2009, 03:21 AM
I am from New York and I am extending to anyone who feels like being froggy to jump at the chance to meet out behind the wood shed. Please don't act as though you do not know who I am or what I am talking about. You morons have been running your mouths too much for so long and now it is time to get it slapped shut. No I am not proclaiming to be a tough guy, I am just someone who is tired of your bullspit and has the physical capability to give you the whipping your daddy should have. So come one come all and get your shot at the cham pee on shitte on you.

COL. Klink
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
pee on, name the place

04-17-2009, 01:29 AM
School board gives superintendent an A+ on performance
Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By LAURA GREEN

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Superintendent Art Johnson was roundly lauded by his bosses, the school board, on Wednesday, and praised as one of the state's top educational leaders.

Johnson, 64, was given a five-year contract, but no raise, at his request.
Board members noted Palm Beach County's distinction as the only urban school district that has earned an A rating from the state for the last four years. They also praised Johnson for, thus far, avoiding the kinds of deep cuts in programs and employees that other school districts have resorted to because of state budget cuts.

Based on most objective measures of Johnson's performance over the last five years, such as test scores and suspension rates, schools are improving.

But both the dropout rate and high school students' passing scores on Advancement Placement test are going in the wrong direction.

Board member Debra Robinson said that on one measure, the number of high school sophomores reading on grade level, the district is clearly failing.

Last year, only38 percent of 10th graders were reading on grade level or better based on FCAT scores.

"We are no where near where we ought to be," Robinson said. "To me the accolades are false and I can't spend time doing that."

But other board members did.

"I have worked with several other superintendents," board member Sandra Richmond said. "They have all been wonderful professionals and had their heart in the right place in terms of working for our children, but I've never had so much happen so quickly for our children and for our community."

Along with empirical measures, board members also graded Johnson on his leadership as an educator, working relationship with the board, personnel, facilities and financial management, community relations and services to students.

"You are able to capture the imagination and engage the public in believing in public education," board member Paulette Bur**** said.

Johnson earns a salary of $250,000 a year and receives another $50,000 a year in deferred payment for retirement.

04-17-2009, 01:30 AM
UNTOUCHABLE

04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I am from New York and I am extending to anyone who feels like being froggy to jump at the chance to meet out behind the wood shed. Please don't act as though you do not know who I am or what I am talking about. You morons have been running your mouths too much for so long and now it is time to get it slapped shut. No I am not proclaiming to be a tough guy, I am just someone who is tired of your bullspit and has the physical capability to give you the whipping your daddy should have. So come one come all and get your shot at the cham pee on shitte on you.

IF YOU’RE LIKE THE OTHERS, YOU’RE SO OLD; I WOULD HAVE TO FIGHT YOU AT THE CENTURY VILLAGE. YOU'RE THINKING BACK TO THE 70'S WHEN YOU STILL HAD IT, BUT PLEASE OLD MAN, NAME THE PLACE AND BRING YOUR WALKER!