PDA

View Full Version : Detective resigned amid drug use investigation

04-09-2009, 03:02 AM
BROOKSVILLE - A sheriff's detective resigned last year after admitting he took his wife's prescription drugs.

An internal investigation was opened in October after a random drug test at the sheriff's office singled out John Cameron III. The results of that test are redacted from public records obtained by Hernando Today, but the steps taken by human resources after the test are consistent with a positive result.

Per policy, Cameron was notified of the random test on Oct. 22 by his immediate supervisor, Capt. James Walker. Walker later told an in-house investigator he detected "a little apprehension" in his phone conversation with Cameron.

Cameron told Walker he was taking medication for a medical condition dating back to December 2007. Walker assured him any positive results would be justified by a prescription.

Following the positive result, Cameron provided Human Resources Director Debra King with a list of his medical conditions and the bottle of his wife's medication. King told him the explanation was unacceptable and contacted internal affairs to initiate an investigation.

She further added taking someone else's medication is against Florida law.

Cameron later disputed certain aspects of that conversation. He contends that King replied, "OK, good," indicating that there was no problem. For that reason, he took another dose of his wife's medication, according to public records.

The sergeant in charge of internal investigations prompted Cameron later about the illegality of consuming someone else's drugs. Cameron expressed shock and said he didn't realize it was illegal.

The sergeant questioned that reaction, saying she was surprised he didn't know that after serving a stint in the vice and narcotics bureau. Cameron clarified, saying "I didn't think about it. That might be more accurate."

The internal investigation concluded Cameron violated the drug-free workplace policy at the sheriff's office. Because he resigned before its completion, no action was taken.

Sgt. Donna Black, spokeswoman for the sheriff's office, said Wednesday there was no indication Cameron was impaired on duty. Asked why there was no criminal investigation, Black cited Florida law that excludes drug test results from evidence and criminal proceedings.

Assistant State Attorney Don Barbee confirmed that was accurate and added consuming someone else's prescription drugs is not illegal. It's the possession of the drug that is illegal - same as marijuana or any other narcotic, he said.

Reporter Kyle Martin can be reached at 352-544-5271 or kmartin@hernandotoday.com.

If he had his wifes pills with him, why was he not charged? It's documented!!

04-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Cameron later disputed certain aspects of that conversation. He contends that King replied, "OK, good," indicating that there was no problem. For that reason, he took another dose of his wife's medication, according to public records.

Addicted to them? This is how they roll!!!!!!!!!!

04-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Posted by ( sallysue ) on 04/09/2009 at 07:26 am.

John Cameron III was a Hernando Detective HCSD not Brooksville PD. It makes you wonder why they don't want to state that huh? His father is Detective John Cameron the 2nd and I believe Sr. also works for the HCSD but at this time might be retired! Please don't tell us he didn't know it wasn't okay to take his wife narcotics being he was VICE. It is about time Nugent stops letting his people in uniform get away with everything. People these are just things they are letting the people know about. Can you imagine all the cover ups? Wonder how much drug evidence went into his pockets during his time on VICE? He was very close with Manning (Retired property evidence)another one who slipped under the radar. Lets retire before charges are brought against us! Seems to be the norm at the HCSD!

Report Inappropriate Comments

This is a comment that was left under this newspaper article. This is another HSO employee, as indicated in other posts they've made in the past, and they used to be quite suppportive of Nugent and the good ole boy network.

Apparently it isn't just us on LEO Affairs that has had enough!!!

04-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Looks like the admin. tried to hide it but the press caught up on it.He resigned in Nov. of last year.Keep up the good work citizens as u watch over the sheriffs office. :lol:

04-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Guess those phone calls worked. It isn't just the citizens. Since upper management can't police their own,
some of us must do that job too. Good job Kyle and thank you.

04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Don't you like how the Sgt. says one thing and Barbee says another about ingesting another persons drugs? What a mixed messaage this sends to anybody who reads this article. No, it really shows just how messed up this place is!!!

The sergeant in charge of internal investigations prompted Cameron later about the illegality of consuming someone else's drugs. Cameron expressed shock and said he didn't realize it was illegal.

The sergeant questioned that reaction, saying she was surprised he didn't know that after serving a stint in the vice and narcotics bureau. Cameron clarified, saying "I didn't think about it. That might be more accurate."

Assistant State Attorney Don Barbee confirmed that was accurate and added consuming someone else's prescription drugs is not illegal. It's the possession of the drug that is illegal - same as marijuana or any other narcotic, he said.

I'm getting to the point where I am ashamed to say where I work!

04-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Nugents whole office is crumbling....now u believe me?

04-10-2009, 11:38 PM
I knew it and I knew that it was only a matter of time. Karma

04-16-2009, 01:01 AM
You damn civilians cant even get your act straight. You're pretending to post as deputies and all your information is wrong. You repost things out of the Hernando Today and wind up confirming incorrect information. Keep it up....its quite entertaining

04-16-2009, 01:08 AM
You are incorrect. Nice try.

04-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey brothers.Its sad to say that citizens feel the need to be a watchdog over our agency.Maybe they have a good reason to be.Lets be honest

04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
You darn civilians cant even get your act straight. You're pretending to post as deputies and all your information is wrong. You repost things out of the Hernando Today and wind up confirming incorrect information. Keep it up....its quite entertaining

If the information were incorrect there would be retractions/corrections in the newspaper. You are just upset that a fraction of what goes on is hitting the paper, and the citizens have a right to know these things. We do not have the right to keep covering things up though. The citizens who pay us are tired of being lied to. They have lost trust in us. They need to police us, because we apparently aren't doing a very good job of that ourselves. :cop:

04-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey brothers.Its sad to say that citizens feel the need to be a watchdog over our agency.Maybe they have a good reason to be.Lets be honest
Exactly!

04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Gees we had like 4 i.a.'s going on at once....major ones....drug use illegally,evidence room,???gees...i think the applicants out there are not the pick of the crop I hear and witness