PDA

View Full Version : True BSO Incident

03-27-2009, 06:07 AM
A true incident from the files of a BSO Deputy now retired. I was on alpha shift, Dist.1, mid 1980's, working with for a top notch Delta unit, ccn 0949, yeah, a very low ccn. I worked with two other deputies that I considered very close friends and co-workers and they could be counted on as if your life depended on them. Anyway, for whatever reason, it was believed there was a jealousy factor, the District Commander, or Chief as they are now called, told our Delta unit to write up me and the other 2 deputy friends of mine for whatever reason he could find. The Delta unit went right to our defense and told the District Commander that we were the best 3 deputies on the shift and that he could always count on us for any assignment. The reply from the District Commander, Sergeant, if you don't do this then I will find a Sergeat that will. Our Delta unit told us about this later that night when we reported for roll call. In his words, looks like someone is gunning for you guys so just watch your P's and Q's. He also told us he had no problem with us in any way shape or form and that he would continue to support us regardless of what the District Commander thought.

This story will be continued, so stay tuned.

03-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Was that before or after you were getting BJ's from the clerk at Circle K?

03-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Sounds like that District Commander became the under-sheriff, I think I remember that incident.

03-27-2009, 04:08 PM
were pizzas involved??????

03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Sounds like that District Commander became the under-sheriff, I think I remember that incident.

Who was it?

03-27-2009, 05:36 PM
A true incident from the files of a BSO Deputy now retired. I was on alpha shift, Dist.1, mid 1980's, working with for a top notch Delta unit, ccn 0949, yeah, a very low ccn. I worked with two other deputies that I considered very close friends and co-workers and they could be counted on as if your life depended on them. Anyway, for whatever reason, it was believed there was a jealousy factor, the District Commander, or Chief as they are now called, told our Delta unit to write up me and the other 2 deputy friends of mine for whatever reason he could find. The Delta unit went right to our defense and told the District Commander that we were the best 3 deputies on the shift and that he could always count on us for any assignment. The reply from the District Commander, Sergeant, if you don't do this then I will find a Sergeat that will. Our Delta unit told us about this later that night when we reported for roll call. In his words, looks like someone is gunning for you guys so just watch your P's and Q's. He also told us he had no problem with us in any way shape or form and that he would continue to support us regardless of what the District Commander thought.

I was there too. Are you the guy that collects police badges and was good with nunchakus? If you are then I know you.

03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
They had teenage mutant ninja turtles doing police work back then? Actually, Now that I think about it, Yes... Yes they were teenage mutant ninja turtles back then...

03-31-2009, 01:17 PM
finish the story

04-01-2009, 05:40 AM

Story continued....... As fate would have it, the three of us took our Sergeant's advice. We were ever so careful to not step over the line, we did our job, but with one eye looking over our shoulders. The District Commander, his name is altered for obvious reasons, Don Brower, decided to add a civilian commander to our shift, again, altered name, Paul Mary, who was nothing more than a snake in the grass. He followed us around at night trying to catch us doing something wrong. Mind you, this was now the Nick Navarone administration, so I need not say more about that.

Anyway, Commander Mary tried his best but he couldn't get any of us in hot water until one night after roll call the Sergeant, our good friend asked me if I would go and get a pizza for him as he had not eaten dinner. He was in the process of going through some personal problems at home. I went to the local pizza place in the district and got him the pizza. I then went back to the district office and brought the pizza into the office. I locked the front door to the district office as was procedure after hours. The Sergeant was on the phone when I arrived with the pizza and I wanted to speak to him about some issues on the shift. He told me to take a seat, have a slice of pizza and he would be off the phone in a minute. The next thing I knew, the door to the district office was being unlocked by Commander Mary, who walked in and demanded to know why I was in the office. The Sergeant hung up the phone and told Commander Mary that I was there at his authority to which Mary said, "Oh no no no,
someone is gonna get written up for this".

The Sergent and I were both written up. I informed the District Commander that I was filing a grievance against the charge. A few days later, the charge against me was dropped but the Sergeant was transferred to Dist.4. A replacement Sergeant from "HELL" arrived a few nights later and greeted the shift with the following statement. "I have arrived, there are positions available at the airport for those of you that can't cut the mustard here". Well, as he was saying that he was looking at the three of us, the Three Musketeers if you will, so at least we knew where he was coming from and that now there were two spineless weasel supervisors on the shift that were on a mission to get rid of us.

Story to be continued.................

04-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I love these tales of BSO. Continue! I don't want to wait. Use real names put the weasels out there.

04-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Was district commander(name altered) Don Brower eventualy transferred to the airport as a sgt when cochran was sheriff?

JoeFriday
04-02-2009, 11:23 PM
[quote="Retired 5 Point Star":16wiglok]A true incident from the files of a BSO Deputy now retired. I was on alpha shift, Dist.1, mid 1980's, working with for a top notch Delta unit, ccn 0949, yeah, a very low ccn. I worked with two other deputies that I considered very close friends and co-workers and they could be counted on as if your life depended on them. Anyway, for whatever reason, it was believed there was a jealousy factor, the District Commander, or Chief as they are now called, told our Delta unit to write up me and the other 2 deputy friends of mine for whatever reason he could find. The Delta unit went right to our defense and told the District Commander that we were the best 3 deputies on the shift and that he could always count on us for any assignment. The reply from the District Commander, Sergeant, if you don't do this then I will find a Sergeat that will. Our Delta unit told us about this later that night when we reported for roll call. In his words, looks like someone is gunning for you guys so just watch your P's and Q's. He also told us he had no problem with us in any way shape or form and that he would continue to support us regardless of what the District Commander thought.

Story continued....... As fate would have it, the three of us took our Sergeant's advice. We were ever so careful to not step over the line, we did our job, but with one eye looking over our shoulders. The District Commander, his name is altered for obvious reasons, Don Brower, decided to add a civilian commander to our shift, again, altered name, Paul Mary, who was nothing more than a snake in the grass. He followed us around at night trying to catch us doing something wrong. Mind you, this was now the Nick Navarone administration, so I need not say more about that.

Anyway, Commander Mary tried his best but he couldn't get any of us in hot water until one night after roll call the Sergeant, our good friend asked me if I would go and get a pizza for him as he had not eaten dinner. He was in the process of going through some personal problems at home. I went to the local pizza place in the district and got him the pizza. I then went back to the district office and brought the pizza into the office. I locked the front door to the district office as was procedure after hours. The Sergeant was on the phone when I arrived with the pizza and I wanted to speak to him about some issues on the shift. He told me to take a seat, have a slice of pizza and he would be off the phone in a minute. The next thing I knew, the door to the district office was being unlocked by Commander Mary, who walked in and demanded to know why I was in the office. The Sergeant hung up the phone and told Commander Mary that I was there at his authority to which Mary said, "Oh no no no,
someone is gonna get written up for this".

The Sergent and I were both written up. I informed the District Commander that I was filing a grievance against the charge. A few days later, the charge against me was dropped but the Sergeant was transferred to Dist.4. A replacement Sergeant from "HELL" arrived a few nights later and greeted the shift with the following statement. "I have arrived, there are positions available at the airport for those of you that can't cut the mustard here". Well, as he was saying that he was looking at the three of us, the Three Musketeers if you will, so at least we knew where he was coming from and that now there were two spineless weasel supervisors on the shift that were on a mission to get rid of us.

Story to be continued.................[/quote:16wiglok]
This is it? Some boss had a hard on for you and that's the story? Got written up, grieved it, got dropped and life goes on. Cmdr. Mary is a lay minister in the catholic church. Don Brower got busted, but only after his stint in CI. He got busted because he took things personal and had a real problem with any one making more $$$ then him. He thought the o/t came out of his pocket. District 1 was out of control for a while, I remember after Behan was killed all the crap that came out, like the bj's from the clerk at circle k and the alpha shift guy that was getting bj's from the hookers on 441, just so he wouldn't bust them......Hey, lots of things go on, that's what made the job interesting. Some guys got what they deserved ( positive and negative) some guys never got what they deserved ( positive or negative). Bottom line is, you retired ( God Bless) you are collecting a pension, didn't get hurt or worse on the job. I too am retired, had a total of 31 years, 27 with SO. I remember only the good times, the fun I had and how much I miss the guys ( and gals) no longer with us. I ask you as a fellow retired deputy, let the story go. Those that did you or anybody wrong will get what they deserve. You won, you got out, safe. I do mean this, I am not dry humping your leg, you retired, do you realize what that means??? I still remember sitting in academy in the 70's thinking the old guy teaching me is full of it. Well, he was right and now others think you and me are full of it, because we are now the old guys. I was never a fan of Don B., the reason he was allowed to stay on after Cochran Was for the health insurance. Don was vindictive and just plain mean, but you know what, he has to live with himself, and that can be very lonely. Good speed my brother, stay safe and well. Damn, remember when we only had the gas pumps to gossip at? When you needed to be a skilled driver to maneuver your car into the garage when the garage was at the courthouse? 8 feet of space and we were driving 7.5 space of car....gotta love those Nova's/Malibu's......Not the Diplomats!

04-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Hey - well put. I was around then too but at the other end of the county. Thanks for the memories. I just can't remember what that Vietnamese mechanic's name was. Property was handled by two people - Al K and Bob the molester.

04-03-2009, 01:10 AM
And now this for history. Does anyone remember Daniel Goldberg and his run for sheriff in 1984. After hooking up with Navarro, he got hooked up. More to come!

04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Too bad this Don Bower guy has family members still with BSO, at least there are a lot of employees/rank that have the same characteristics. The times have changed but the people have not, so sad.

JoeFriday
04-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey - well put. I was around then too but at the other end of the county. Thanks for the memories. I just can't remember what that Vietnamese mechanic's name was. Property was handled by two people - Al K and Bob the molester.
Hey, Wow, great pick up...I can see him but I can't remember his name. Remember when he had the chicken running around the service plaza? It was rumoured that he was a colonel in the Vietnamese Army, who knows, but he was a pretty nice guy. I think he dies about 5 years ago, And I remember Al the service manager, real POS, he got busted for selling BSO parts. I also remember the " old " guys telling us we have no idea what used to go on, now I find myself saying the same thing. The *****ing I hear is basically the same, just with different players, but it is also the best job in the world.

04-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey, Wow, great pick up...I can see him but I can't remember his name. Remember when he had the chicken running around the service plaza? It was rumoured that he was a colonel in the Vietnamese Army, who knows, but he was a pretty nice guy. I think he dies about 5 years ago, And I remember Al the service manager, real POS, he got busted for selling BSO parts. I also remember the " old " guys telling us we have no idea what used to go on, now I find myself saying the same thing. The *****ing I hear is basically the same, just with different players, but it is also the best job in the world.

The Vietnames mechanic was named Booth.

04-03-2009, 07:06 PM
This proves it's all the oldtimers who get on here to whine and *****, and when there's nothing current...they complain about the stone age.

04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
This proves it's all the oldtimers who get on here to whine and *****, and when there's nothing current...they complain about the stone age.

Who's complaining? We're just recalling some interesting events and remembering people who crossed our paths. I would think you could recognize real *****ing and whining since you're probably an expert at it.

04-03-2009, 08:00 PM

Your a moron. Whats wrong with reminiscing. You should respect the good cops that went before you. They are the reason you have it so good.

JoeFriday
04-03-2009, 09:29 PM
No, not really. I responded to a guy's story from the 80's and my advice to move on and forget about it. Another " old timer" brought something up and we reminisce about it, nothing more. I am explaining this to you as I do not post here, and I read it maybe a few times a month. Why am I explaining myself to you, when I don't need to, because when I was a cop I was taught to be respectful to other cops, that is why and from what I see and read, not to many subscribe to that way of thinking. There are enough people out there bashing cops and deputies, we don't need to do it for them. That is it, be safe " young fellow" maybe you too can become an " old timer". And really it wasn't the stone age, we had cars, guns and everything, with the exception of our radios that were the size of a small carry-on piece of luggage.....To bad you weren't around to meet Booth, he may have let you pet his chicken.....

04-04-2009, 12:50 PM
And kudos to Joe Friday for the post! I gotta tell ya, I cringe at all the negativity posted in these forums, forums which are visible to anyone who wants to view them. There's nothing wrong with *****in' ... hell, it's an essential part of police work. But we used to do it among ourselves, at the gas pump like someone said, not in the public view.
Thanks Joe, for making some sense and trying to steer at least one thread onto positive ground.

04-04-2009, 01:18 PM
No, not really. I responded to a guy's story from the 80's and my advice to move on and forget about it. Another " old timer" brought something up and we reminisce about it, nothing more. I am explaining this to you as I do not post here, and I read it maybe a few times a month. Why am I explaining myself to you, when I don't need to, because when I was a cop I was taught to be respectful to other cops, that is why and from what I see and read, not to many subscribe to that way of thinking. There are enough people out there bashing cops and deputies, we don't need to do it for them. That is it, be safe " young fellow" maybe you too can become an " old timer". And really it wasn't the stone age, we had cars, guns and everything, with the exception of our radios that were the size of a small carry-on piece of luggage.....To bad you weren't around to meet Booth, he may have let you pet his chicken.....

Yo, JoeFriday - Get your own blog. Retired 5 Point Star didn't ask for your advice. He wants to tell a story, let him do it! He's talking about a "top notch" delta unit backing up his deputies and then getting in trouble for ordering a pizza. Then you start talking about murder and bj's involving different people, different year! Retired 5 Point Start, please continue.

04-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Well let's really look at this then. Was the solid gold sergeant asking the deputy to get him a pizza from a place who gives away pizza's free to uniforms? If so, why is the sergeant using deputies as his personal do-boys to bring him something that violates policy? Then the deputy takes advantage of the situation and goes behind closed doors while what? Others patrol his zone and handle his calls? I used to hate that kind of preferential treatment while the rest of us were out there doing the job. So what is the point of this story? Right now, the sergeant sounds like a deputy with stripes. Please enlighten us.

04-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Don't mind these guys 5 point please continue.

04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
I have less than 4 years on and I love the stories from the old timers....keep them coming please

04-07-2009, 01:21 AM
I have less than 4 years on and I love the stories from the old timers....keep them coming please
Does anybody remember when ccn 949 fell into the abandoned swimming pool at Griffin and 441 back in the 80's? I was there as well as Fred Faustino (God rest his soul). That was a funny night to say the least.

04-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Does anybody remember when ccn 949 fell into the abandoned swimming pool at Griffin and 441 back in the 80's? I was there as well as Fred Faustino (God rest his soul). That was a funny night to say the least.

You mean the one with the rusty washing machine at the bottom of it with algae covering the top of the water, that he never saw coming because the Pappa unit moved the night sun and 949 couldn't see where he was running? or something like that - yeah, I remember hearing about that. :lol:

04-07-2009, 03:29 AM

You mean the one with the rusty washing machine at the bottom of it with algae covering the top of the water, that he never saw coming because the Pappa unit moved the night sun and 949 couldn't see where he was running? or something like that - yeah, I remember hearing about that. :lol: What about in the early 70's out at the Sports Atorium when a Command Staff Lt. drove a motor-unit into the C something canal along Griffin road...who was around then??? Higgs, Bingham, Laun, Werder, Sampson, Dees, Pikorney, Collins, Reggio, Gleason, Holloway, Dunlap, Shapiro, "Trooper" Cooper, 1031 Bennett, Dispatcher Louise Valiquez...DP Edwards, Joe Edwards........all the way back to the 60's..those were the days when your back was really covered..half the time by FHP, Pompano, Flpd and Hlwd. 1 dispatcher...4 road Deputies...a Delta unit at North end, a Delta unit South...1 Lt..1 Capt...ENTIRE COUNTY...Det's on call...no cell phones or beepers..not invented yet...Motorola floor mounted radio....no "brick yet"..get out of your unit in Carver Ranches without communications..with an angry crowd...you went for your dash mounted pump shot-gun and shouted loudly hoping some passer-by good samaritan would rescue your butt...of yeah..." Big John Alderton"...now he was a 94.....6 7 about 285....pinned down by unfriendly fire one night in 4 zone...near Parkway Junior High...Big John was able to radio in "shots fired" because I could not get to my radio in the unit, of course; and of course....Sam Pagano...that story..some other time...I encourage the old timers to continue to post incidents from the real "BSO" days.

04-09-2009, 08:26 PM
please keep these stories and memories coming

04-10-2009, 03:54 AM
please keep these stories and memories coming

Real stories by real men, not you who make captain and night commander in 8 years!