PDA

View Full Version : Experienced LEO Thinking of applying

03-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Hello all

I am an experienced LEO with another Central Florida agency who is thinking of applying. Love the Plant City area and have been impressed with the quality of officers I have met with your agency. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you have an established pay scale or does the Chief/City Rep. negotiate entry level pay? How flexible is that entry pay for folks with backgrounds that might be of value to the agency? Do you have a step system also?

2. How many years of service until eligible for pension benefits? I had heard you are a twenty year and out municipal pension? Do you have an age based retirement option?

I am tying to weigh the benfits I have accrued now with my current agency versus how many years I intend to continue working. I haven't been able to find any other info online about Plant City's pension plan so I am trying to weigh my options.

Any input is appreciated.

03-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Last year the Plant City Police Department was provided with a raise and step plan to stop the excessive attrition our agency was experiencing due to pay. Currently the starting salary is $42,910 dollars a year regardless of your previous experience. Each year an officer is eligible for a pay raise/step and can max out at around $65,000 in 9 years. Raises after that are concurrent with promotion/rank. These amounts do not include the cost of living the city gets. Our retirement plan is one of the best around but expect to pay about 10% into it. You can retire after only 20 years at 75%. We also have a (5) year drop. If I was you I would give Det. Maurer a call, he is our training officer and is currently conducting recruiting for the department. He has been taking a lot of applicants for tours around the department and will be able to answer any questions you have. Good luck, all in all it's a great agency with great people working there.

04-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Last year the Plant City Police Department was provided with a raise and step plan to stop the excessive attrition our agency was experiencing due to pay. Currently the starting salary is $42,910 dollars a year regardless of your previous experience. Each year an officer is eligible for a pay raise/step and can max out at around $65,000 in 9 years. Raises after that are concurrent with promotion/rank. These amounts do not include the cost of living the city gets. Our retirement plan is one of the best around but expect to pay about 10% into it. You can retire after only 20 years at 75%. We also have a (5) year drop. If I was you I would give Det. Maurer a call, he is our training officer and is currently conducting recruiting for the department. He has been taking a lot of applicants for tours around the department and will be able to answer any questions you have. Good luck, all in all it's a great agency with great people working there.

You may want to wait til Billy is gone before applying!!! Yes they do have some good officers but they have either driven off or lost even better officers due to Billy's ineptness (lies).