PDA

View Full Version : employment

03-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I know with all the issues brought up on this forum you guys probably think it's stupid of me to inquire about employment but, I am moving to Cape Coral and am already a police officer. Obviously, I need to get a job somewhere. I am also applying to Cape Coral, although they seem to have there own issues. anyways, is it hard to get hired at LCSO and is there overtime, etc.? I would eventually like to get on a special unit but, understand it takes time. After you put time in, can you usually get in the unit you want? Do you think they'll lift the hiring freeze with the gov. money coming down? I would greatly appreciate your input as I am not from this area and am coming in blind. I mean, is LCSO better or worse to work for than Cape Coral?

By the way, reading this forum I'm sure many of you will probably write RUN or steer clear of LCSO but, you don't have to waste your time, I get that there is some unrest there. But, helpful replies would be great.

03-11-2009, 04:43 AM
REALLY??! 63 views and no feed back?

03-11-2009, 06:52 AM
I have worked for both agencies....formerly as a corrections officer for LCSO, and currently as an officer with CCPD. I have no complaints about either agency; I left LCSO because I lived in Cape Coral, and I wanted to work the road sooner than they could offer. (Corrections officers have quite a road to walk to get on the road.)

I couldn't be happier with the Cape....I've met almost everyone in the agency, and have yet to meet anyone that isn't dedicated to the job, or that is unpleasant to be around. Getting hired is tough in these times (LCSO is on a total freeze, and CCPD, while not totally frozen, is pretty close), but best of luck to you.

By the way....are you out of state certified, or FL certified? If not FL certified, taking the 2-week EOT course would go a long way in getting hired I'm sure.

03-11-2009, 08:24 AM
I am out of state certified. I would like to take the EOT but, I can't really leave my current job to do so. You know, kids, health insurance, mortgage payments it all makes it hard to just leave for two weeks. My current department is really under-manned right now so 2 weeks vacation wouldn't fly. I do have the luxury of staying with my current job until I find a job down there. I'll be down there next week for CCPD testing, hopefully it will go well.

03-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree that wherever you go it's gonna be a lot easier if the get FL certified first. I've also worked for both agencies. The Cape is far and away a better place to work. The LCSO has some truly outstanding people but they're treated like shit. IF, you get a good shift and a good set of supervisors it's a great place, but it's rare that you get a shift that doesn't have a polictical officer (kommisar) promoted because of who they are friends with and not on merit. MOST of LCSO mid-level and staff level leadership is unqualified. They just supported the right guy...Maybe, just maybe things will improve some with this latest shake up. Scott talks a good game, now if he will just listen to his own words and follow his own rules there could be a lot better atmosphere. For decades the people in leadership at LCSO have been treacherous. It's the best word I have to describe the place. Shame too, because the pay and benefits are good, it COULD be an awesome work place. It's just that everyone is out for themselves.

The Cape is usually fair in it's treatment of employees and promotion practices. You will hear *****ing like from anyplace else, but the system is set up for fairness. Certain criteria must be met to get promoted, although just being a good cop sometimes isn't enough. I've been in law enforcement in Lee County a long time and I'm trying to give you a fair assessment.

If you will be satisfied staying in patrol for several years, stay out of the rumor mill, stay away from politics, (even the discussion...)keep your head down and stay busy, I would choose LCSO. If you want someplace fair with less treachery but less room for advancement, go CCPD.

03-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm not in law enforcement but I'll tell you that Lee county unemployment numbers for last month are 11.5% (the real # is more) and state, county and city budgets are strained to breaking due to the massive down turn in property values. If you want to live down here take whatever you can get and just deal with it, whether you like it or not. There's only 4 departments in Lee, the Sheriff, Cape, Ft Myers, and lil ol Sanibel and you'll be lucky to get on at any of them right now.

03-12-2009, 03:03 AM
The personnel people at CCPD told me they have almost 200 applicants for 16 jobs and many are already certified in FL. SO has said they are on a hiring freeze.

What can you bring to the table. CCPD just hired two guys from out of state but both were EOT certified. How many years have you being doing the job and what specialties have you worked may help you. If you cant play this card you'd better get your EOT as competition is going to be stiff.

The other difference between the two is CCPD is a FOP agency and the SO isnt. Sometimes its nice to have the union representation behind you. Other than that they both have their quirks and jerks but they are both decent agencies.

03-13-2009, 02:41 AM
I've been on the job for about 5 years. I'd be willing to pay for the EOT tuition but, I don't know if that helps.

Thanks for the replies.

03-16-2009, 03:20 AM
does anyone know when the freeze will end? Sounds like some guys will be movin' up.

03-17-2009, 12:18 AM
You can do 1 week of EOT online from St Pete Comm College and 1 week of high liability here, then do a weekend trip to take the state exam. Can be done without 2 weeks off.

As far as the agencies are concerned- LCSO has some good people. Most are still on the road. Cape has a young agency and is very fair with their treatment of people. Having come from another agency and having experience with both, I would go to the Cape. LCSO is bigger by far, but there is ALOT of politics to be played.