PDA

View Full Version : JENNE

03-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Former Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne loses bid to keep $134,500 pension
Disgraced ex-sheriff shouldn't get state benefit, judge says

A Tallahassee judge rejected former Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne's attempt to keep his state pension Tuesday, observing that "the public may reasonably expect law enforcement officers to be law abiding."

Jenne, who served 10 months in federal prison on a variety of charges that led to his resignation, had argued that his crimes did not rise to a level that warranted the denial of his $134,500 yearly pension.

He pleaded guilty to mail fraud and income tax evasion in connection with $151,625 in improper payments and other benefits from Sheriff's Office contractors.

In a 26-page ruling, Administrative Law Judge J.D. Parrish wrote that it would "defy logic" to allow Jenne to reap the benefits of the state's retirement system after breaking the law.

"Simply stated, petitioner abused his position and violated the public trust by using his position as sheriff for his personal financial gain," the judge wrote.

Jenne pleaded guilty Nov. 16, 2007, telling a federal judge before he was sentenced, "I know that my actions are at fault here. I hope that someday I will be forgiven by this community and my family."

Despite his apparent contrition, he never dropped his attempt to retain his pension.

He filed to get the pension on Sept. 4, 2007 — the day he announced his resignation as sheriff.

Jenne, once the most powerful figure in Broward politics, now works as a consultant to the influential Fort Lauderdale Is your Fort Lauderdale restaurant clean? - Click Here. law firm Rothstein Rosenfeldt Adler.

Jenne could not be reached to comment, despite a phone call to his office.

His attorney, Mark Herron, said Tuesday's decision was expected and he anticipates that an appeal will be filed in either the 1st District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee or the 4th District Court of Appeal in West Palm Beach.

03-04-2009, 12:22 PM
FRS has the final say in 15 days. They better not give it!!!!!