PDA

View Full Version : All You Have to Do is Care

CPT Aubrey
01-30-2009, 10:39 PM
All you have to do is care about people. But, they don’t. In a vain attempt to protect their own behinds, central office laid off 66 probation officers. The chances of them being rehired are almost slim to none. This after the legislature demanded they look at eliminating administravtive positions first. To hell with the legislature, we work for the Governor. Separation of Powers!

Now? There is gnashing of teeth. Wailing….Questions flying…. If I lay off DCSA’s or DRD’s, can bumping take place or do they serve at the pleasure of Charlie. Who else goes? Wagons are circling, fingers are pointing. Staff Development is sweating. After all, who needs training when there is no one left to train?

With a little common sense, a lot of this could have been avoided plus more:

- If everyone in DOC from the lowly clerk to the Secretary, CO’s and CPO’s, CA’s and RD’s, all in Central Office including every single swinging strap holder just took one day of unpaid administrative leave per month, my God we’re talking about real money. On the CPO side of the house let’s see: If CPO’s on the average make $16 a day times 8 hours per day, times approximately 2,500 CPO’s times 12 months a year that alone is worth about $3,800,000 dollars. Add to it 24,000 CO’s and every one else? Well, as I said, real money. But that takes...., real leadership.

- CPO’s don’t need lap tops.

- CPO’s don’t need cell phones.

- CC doesn’t need to be mailing files across the state at $15 a pop, nor do we need to send out letters to non-existent addresses.

- We don’t need to be leasing a whole hell of a lot of office space either considering almost every office is within driving distance to an institution and it's cheaper to build a low overhead office than it is to lease from now until the cows come home.

Now some of these suggestions grant you,steps into the money pile of some influential Republican business man. Take GPS for example. We don’t need GPS but Mike Wolf (an x- CC assistant secretary) managed to sell the legislature on our absolute need. He of course, immediately went to work for a GPS company.

All it takes is someone who gives a damn about people. The problem is? they could give a crap less.

01-30-2009, 11:37 PM
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO LINK CARING AND TALLAHASSEE IN ONE SENTENCE. THIS RAY SANSOM AFFAIR SMELLS ALL TO FAMILIAR OF JIMMY CROSBY AND EVERY OTHER CROOKED POLITICIAN IN TALLAHASSEE. THIS IS BUSINESS AS USUAL AND TAKING CARE OF STATE EMPLOYEES IS NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL TAKING CARE OF ONESELF IS NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. ASK THE CEO OF THE BANKS THAT GOT A BAILOUT.......18 BILLION DOLLARS IN BONUSES!!!!!!!!!!

Updated: Ray Sansom stepping down as Florida House speaker

By Paul Flemming • Florida Capital Bureau • January 30, 2009

Speaker Ray Sansom, a Destin Republican two and a half months into his tenure leading the Florida House, is stepping down amid ethics and legal charges that he abused his position.

"Effective immediately, I have decided to recuse myself from the exercise of my duties as Speaker of the House of Representatives," Sansom wrote in a memo to House members. "Ongoing legal proceedings have temporarily created an inability for me to carry out my responsibilities as Speaker. Under the House rules, during this temporary inability, Speaker pro tempore Larry Cretul will exercise all the duties, powers and prerogatives of Speaker."

Sansom has resigned a $110,000 job at Northwest Florida State College -- effective Saturday, though announced earlier this month -- given to him after he steered some $35 million in state funding to the campus as appropriations chief in the past two years. State prosecutors are also investigating a $6 million airport hangar plan in which Sansom was involved with developer Jay Odom at the Destin airport.

Other House members said Sansom has done the right thing.

"The Ray Sansom that I know is a God-fearing man that knows right from wrong," said Rep. Dave Murzin, a Pensacola Republican. "Let's get on with the business of facing the challenges that Florida has. I think he did what's best for the people of Florida."

Faced with a budget crisis that's projected to include at least $4 billion in further cuts to state spending, Sansom said the succession plan spelled out in House rules will allow the Legislature to move forward.

"I know Larry will manage the House with distinction and it will be an honor for me to serve under him at this time, until any legal proceedings I face are resolved," Sansom wrote in his memo. "The allegations and reports associated with these proceedings have caused my family grave pain and this has prompted my decision. I expect positive outcomes and am confident that when the facts are known, my honesty and integrity will be confirmed."

Party leadership said the state's problems necessitated Sansom's action.

"Florida’s families and businesses face unprecedented challenges right now, and it is important that the Florida Legislature is free from any additional distractions while its members do the important work in front of them," said GOP Chairman Jim Greer in a statement. "We support Representative Sansom’s decision to temporarily step down from his position as Speaker in order to focus on clearing his name, and we are confident he will do just that."
Advertisement
Quantcast
Earlier post from The Associated Press

Embattled Florida House Speaker Ray Sansom is stepping down from his post as speaker.

Republican Rep. Larry Cretul of Ocala will replace the Destin Republican in the "short term." That's according to Republican Rep. William Snyder of Stuart.

Republican Rep. J.C. Planas of Miami was among those asking Sansom to leave his job amid an avalanche of controversy over his dealings with Northwest Florida State College in Niceville.

Forty-six-year-old Sansom is facing investigations by a grand jury and the state ethics commissioner after taking a $110,000-a-year job at the college the same day he became speaker.

Sansom spokeswoman Jill Chamberlin told reporters outside the speaker's office she expects a statement later Friday.

Return to Tallahassee.com for more details.

01-30-2009, 11:44 PM
PBA does not care either. They have gone along with the Central Office all the way through the cuts. I will never forget that fact! I am now a non member.

CPT Aubrey
01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
I suppose the actions of Samson can be morally linked to the actions of the PBA, just as morally, the actions of the PBA can be morally linked to Secretary Mcneil.

More's the pity. The major point however, cannot and should not be over looked. There was no need to lay off officers who by all account, were accomplishing an almost impossible mission.

And to lay them off with one day's notice? And to provide them with a form letter used to fire substandard performers? You wouldn't treat a dog that way and if you did, you'd be charged with a felony.

No, my friends. It's time to take a look around. It's time to answer greed with largess. It's time to answer arrogant power with one simple word, "NO"! It's time to expose those who don't have the agencies best interest at heart only their own, to the light of day.

Everytime some supervisor issues you an idiotic command, grieve it. Everytime you know something is wrong, write the paper or your representative or your congressmen.

It's time for folks who have used DOC as their own biggy bank, to leave.

It's time. Don't keep your mouth's shut. Speak up. You want to make a difference? Do it now.

01-31-2009, 02:42 AM
All you have to do is care about people. But, they don’t. In a vain attempt to protect their own behinds, central office laid off 66 probation officers. The chances of them being rehired are almost slim to none. This after the legislature demanded they look at eliminating administravtive positions first. To hell with the legislature, we work for the Governor. Separation of Powers!

Now? There is gnashing of teeth. Wailing….Questions flying…. If I lay off DCSA’s or DRD’s, can bumping take place or do they serve at the pleasure of Charlie. Who else goes? Wagons are circling, fingers are pointing. Staff Development is sweating. After all, who needs training when there is no one left to train?

- If everyone in DOC from the lowly clerk to the Secretary, CO’s and CPO’s, CA’s and RD’s, all in Central Office including every single swinging strap holder just took one day of unpaid administrative leave per month, my God we’re talking about real money. On the CPO side of the house let’s see: If CPO’s on the average make $16 a day times 8 hours per day, times approximately 2,500 CPO’s times 12 months a year that alone is worth about $3,800,000 dollars. Add to it 24,000 CO’s and every one else? Well, as I said, real money. But that takes...., real leadership.

- CC doesn’t need to be mailing files across the state at $15 a pop, nor do we need to send out letters to non-existent addresses.

- We don’t need to be leasing a whole hell of a lot of office space either considering almost every office is within driving distance to an institution and it's cheaper to build a low overhead office than it is to lease from now until the cows come home.

Now some of these suggestions grant you,steps into the money pile of some influential Republican business man. Take GPS for example. We don’t need GPS but Mike Wolf (an x- CC assistant secretary) managed to sell the legislature on our absolute need. He of course, immediately went to work for a GPS company.

All it takes is someone who gives a darn about people. The problem is? they could give a crap less.

I likr some of your ideas but not all.

We will have had no raise in 3 years - there does not need to be any unpaid days!

CPO'S have tight office soace as it is and most prisons are a good ways away and many offenders rely on public transportation.

CPT Aubrey
01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
You are right. We haven't had any raises in a while. But to keep folks working, I would galdly give one day a month. What is that? A portion of a cable bill?

You notice however, I did not suggest a cut in pay. Why? For the same reason you suggest. We would never see it again.

But let me run the numbers. 24,000 CO's plus 2,500 CPO's plus 1,000 or so strap hangers equals 27,500 employees. Assume that the average salary is $16 a hour times an 8 hour day or $128 per day. Now take 27,500 employees and multiply that by $128 a day, you get $3,520,000. Now if you took one administrative day per month for 12 months, that's $42,240,000 for one year. That's twice the DOC deficit. If you did it two years in a row, there would be no lay offs.

Personally, I would like to see all of the Regional Directors and their staffs gone. I would like to see the new Assistant Secreatry for Transition and his staff, gone. They add no value to a department that has been overworked and understaffed on both sides of the house for years. The truth is if if they all disappeared tomorrow, not one Co or CPO would feel the difference. And here is another truth for you. On the CPO side of the house they have for years kept fully funded positions in reserve. All the while we have been begging for help, the department has been using that money for all kinds of off the wall things.

Now in terms of leases. I do not suggest that you get rid of all leases. But, there are areas of the state where it makes perfect since.

There are so may areas that cut be cut without a loss of efficiency, it ain't even funny. You just have to have the will and you have to care.

01-31-2009, 10:23 PM

All it takes is someone who gives a darn about people. The problem is? they could give a crap less.CPT Aubrey
LEO Affairs Lieutenant

Adminstrative leave for everyone, I for one, cannot afford even one day off without pay. What are you making 70K or more?

No cell phones- so what we use our personal when doing curfew checks, calling law enforcement, etc? that should not be on my dime.

Lap-tops, most of those are from a grant which has nothing to do with out budget. These were one the best things we received. Being able to have data ready at your fingertips.

I agree with the files and the mailing of letter to non-existent addresses but hey the Department is all about CYA.

As for offices in prisons, I personally work at least one hour from the nearest prison and do not intend to drive one hour to work when all of the cases I see are about one hour from the prison also. Why not have some of us use those laptops and work from home??- not that is a novel idea.

GPS, no comment- ROP'ing is a pain the the neck and takes forever.

Let's not get rid of the technology we fought so hard to get.

Give the top echelon a day off without pay and that would solve a lot of problems, not your line staff and clerical- they simply annot afford it.

CPT Aubrey
01-31-2009, 10:35 PM
In a perfect world, I would agree with some of what you said. If you cant' afford a day, I'm going to assume you have relatively few years with the department.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if they start to lay off DCS's, DRD's and the like, chances are they will be albe to bump and you ultimately will be history.

I would also tell you that we had curfew checks before we had cell phones and could accomplish the mission.

Having data at your fingertips may be good for a command that is readily responsive and flexible. But, data to DOC which is not responsive to the needs of its own command means nothing for us, and only information hoarding to them. They choose which information to keep, which to release and which to bury..

And as I said building offices at institutions does not make sense every where. But where it does, there is no need to spend millions on leases.

Technology is fine. It makes our lives easier. But remember, the computer was supposed to make us paperless. Yeah, right.

01-31-2009, 10:38 PM
DO YOU REMEMBER BOTH THESE PEOPLE DOUBLE DIPPED. THEY RETIRED, DID 5 YEARS, LAID OFF 31 DAYS AND CAME BACK TO THE SAME LOWLY SALARY OF $85,000 TO $95,000 A YEAR. I GIVE UP 1 DAY A MONTH WHEN THESE WHITE COLLARS CRIMINALS ARE REMOVED FROM THEIR POSITIONS. THESE 2 PEOPLE ARE A 1/4 MILLION DOLLARS IN SALARY AND BENEFITS.

CPT Aubrey
01-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Geeze, of course they've taken advantage of the system and of course they should be exposed for the greedy fu****s they are. But, if you fired everone of them tomorrow, it would not make a dent in what is owed. We are in real trouble here. The question should be, "How do we take care of our own?"

Use your head, Chief.

CPSS Anonymous
01-31-2009, 11:16 PM
If I could have saved any of the 66 with one day? I would gladly give a day a month. I don't know if everyone can though.

CPT Aubrey
02-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I certainly agree with and understand any misgivings, on the other hand given the circumstances, I wonder if they can afford not to give up one day a month.

02-01-2009, 08:55 AM
In a perfect world, I would agree with some of what you said. If you cant' afford a day, I'm going to assume you have relatively few years with the department.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but if they start to lay off DCS's, DRD's and the like, chances are they will be albe to bump and you ultimately will be history.

I would also tell you that we had curfew checks before we had cell phones and could accomplish the mission.

Having data at your fingertips may be good for a command that is readily responsive and flexible. But, data to DOC which is not responsive to the needs of its own command means nothing for us, and only information hoarding to them. They choose which information to keep, which to release and which to bury..

And as I said building offices at institutions does not make sense every where. But where it does, there is no need to spend millions on leases.

Technology is fine. It makes our lives easier. But remember, the computer was supposed to make us paperless. Yeah, right.

SES positions can't bump a Career Service position to avoid a layoff period. They might could fill an open one (doubt there is any in that scenario due to eliminating open ones) but cant bump a career service in that scenario.

02-03-2009, 12:38 AM

I have almost 19 years with the Department (hence I will defnintely not be the first one bumped and there will be a line to get to me) but still cannot afford a day off. The economy stinks and i would like to keep every penny I make.

We did not work like we do now without cell phones. It is much more dangerous to work in the community that it was 15 years ago when we did not have cell phones. I would be all for cell phones to share but CYA, no one would want to be responsible for it.

I agree with what you said about paperless but as far as data at our fingertips, I mean for us in the field and at home when we need to check something right away, we can with the laptops and remember they are grant money so DC spent no money on them.

Dc is imperfect in every sense of the word and those that have been here long enough know it but we chose to stay and try to work through it. Most days, I can say that I like my job.