PDA

View Full Version : No Contract

01-12-2009, 01:17 PM
We have no contract because of the City's "fiscal concerns" due to the economy. However, the city can utilize tax funds to bail out the Sun Times. How is it that only one commissioner sees a problem with this ??

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/n ... 8421.story (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/hallandale/sfl-flbsuntimes0112sbjan12,0,7248421.story)

01-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Link didn't work...here's the article if you're interested.

Hallandale Beach using tax money to help local 'Sun-Times' newspaper survive
By Ihosvani Rodriguez | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
January 12, 2009

Hallandale Beach - City officials spent tax funds last month for a mailing urging merchants to advertise in the South Florida Sun-Times, a privately owned weekly newspaper.

The mass mailing was part of an ongoing effort to help the paper survive the recession, in exchange for stories that "promote the city," Mayor Joy Cooper said.

"If they go out of business, we would have to run our own paper," said Cooper, who has a weekly column in the paper that covers Hallandale Beach and Hollywood.

But one commissioner said that government should not be in the business of bailing out a private newspaper, and that the Sun-Times has become a city propaganda tool and mayoral bully pulpit.

"There is no opportunity for anyone in the public to ask questions or challenge what the city purports as facts," Commissioner Keith London said.

Last week, officials could not say how much they spent on the mailings. The city paid the newspaper $18,500 last year for advertising and "other miscellaneous services," according to city records. The paper regularly publishes columns written by city officials, a calendar of events and positive stories about the city.

The letter to Hallandale Beach merchants, signed by Cooper and City Manager Mike Good, included the paper's advertising rates and circulation data.

"In an effort to promote and support local businesses, the city encourages all businesses to advertise in the city's only local newspaper, The South Florida Sun-Times," the officials wrote on city stationery.

The newspaper's president, Craig Farquhar, said the Sun-Times often works with the city and the chamber of commerce to promote Hallandale Beach.

"Many businesses are hurting, and we're all in this together," he said.

But Farquhar said the relationship with the city does not affect the paper's editorial decisions.

London said that was not the case in October, when he sent the Sun-Times a letter to the editor responding to a column by Cooper. The column had criticized a lawsuit London filed last year against the city, claiming an ordinance curbed his free speech. Farquhar rejected the letter.

"I do not wish to continue to drag this topic out, and start further turmoil with the city," Farquhar wrote. "I have worked hard to be fair when reporting the news of the city, but not every person may feel that I do so."

Ihosvani Rodriguez can be reached at ijrodriguez@sun-sentinel.com or 954-385-7908.

Mass mailings
Mass mailings
Officials are mailing letters to businesses asking them to advertise in the local newspaper, in exchange for stories that "promote the city." Mayor Joy Cooper defends the practice, but Commissioner Keith London objects, saying the paper has become a city propaganda tool.

01-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Can anyone explain why are PBA body is WEAK! We really need to stand up to Cooper and her minions!

01-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Can anyone explain why are PBA body is WEAK! We really need to stand up to Cooper and her minions!

we all know those who want to be sgts wont say sh-t for fear of losing chief points cooper gets favored way too much london knows what he is doing and what needs to be done lets get him to more places where he can speak out a little more

01-19-2009, 02:46 AM

Our union is weak because of the lack of participation of our union members. It has nothing to do with our current union representatives. It doesn't matter who our representatives are or who is on the sergeants list, etc. That's a load of crap that I have heard for years by the same disgruntled few that complain about everything. The truth is...a union is strong when its members unite. If you don't even have the initiative to show up at a meeting, than you have no right to complain. If you want a strong union, then get with your fellow members and encourage their participation. It's our union...it's our department...it's our contract...and it's our future.

02-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Hmm...only one commisioner sees a problem with this. This stinks...big time. Does anyone else see a problem with what is continuing to happen here ??

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
For one politician, Hallandale Beach's land purchase seems heaven-sent
Michael Mayo

News Columnist

February 22, 2009

The Hallandale Beach City Commission moves in mysterious ways. Take the case of Higher Vision Ministries and the Eagle's Wings Development Center in the city's impoverished northwest area.

At a hastily called Feb. 12 special meeting, the commission approved buying the church-owned property where the Eagle's Wings community center stands for $235,000.

That's $35,000 more than the city's most recent appraisal of the land (in November), nearly $90,000 more than the value listed by the Broward property appraiser and $190,000 more than the church paid for the land in 2001.

Considering the way the economy and local real estate market have been tanking, that's a pretty sweet deal for Higher Visions.

So who runs the church and the social-service center? Pastor Anthony Sanders.

The same Anthony Sanders who's a Hallandale Beach commissioner.

"We were supposed to do this two years ago, long before I was on the commission," Sanders said Friday. "Back in early 2007, the price was $350,000. This should have been done a long time ago, but the city kept dragging its feet."

Sanders, elected to the commission in November after being appointed last summer, abstained from the 3-1 vote. He said the price was fair, noting two other appraisals that valued the property at $275,000 and $230,000.

But one city-sponsored appraisal put it at $147,000, and the most recent valued it at $200,000.

Given the circumstances, Commissioner Keith London (the lone dissenter) said the city should have waited longer. Or at least had the sense to take up the matter as a clearly labeled agenda item at a regular commission meeting.

The land purchase wasn't listed on the agenda for the special meeting. It was brought up as "other business" during the session called by Mayor Joy Cooper on an unrelated matter. The meeting wasn't held in the commission's usual spot where sessions are videotaped, but instead was in an upstairs room without cameras.

"Does this pass the smell test?" said London. "I don't think so."

You'd think Hallandale Beach commissioners, who took a public relations pounding for engineering a pay raise in a similarly sneaky way a couple years ago, would have learned by now.

The city, through its Community Redevelopment Agency, has vague plans to build an affordable housing project on the block where the center stands.

"We're doing it for the good of many, many people in Hallandale," said Vice Mayor Bill Julian, who approved the deal with Cooper and Commissioner Dorothy Ross.

London didn't understand the rush: "If somebody said we have to buy this parcel by a certain date to complete a plan or it will fall through, then I could see doing it. But there is no plan."

I called City Manager Mike Good to get their version of events but didn't hear back.

Sanders said the deal closed on Feb. 13, the day after the special meeting, with the money already in the bank. The Eagle's Wings center hasn't been given an eviction date, he said. The center, which provides computer and other training classes and submits food-stamp applications for residents, was open on Friday.

"Is it standard to buy a property from a commissioner and then let them use it rent-free?" London said.

Sanders said London is grousing because of "envy."

"This isn't a personal thing," London said. "It's a finance issue."

Sanders' church bought the property for $45,000 in 2001. Eagle's Wings has received $130,000 in city grant money this decade, along with county and state contracts. The nonprofit agency's 2007 tax return listed income of $113,190 in government grants.

Sanders, a longtime activist in the northwest area, said the city's purchase of the property is "just a drop in the bucket," noting the $12 million the city spent to acquire land for a park in a better part of town.

Sanders has been critical of the redevelopment agency's stagnant efforts in the northwest. Two-thirds of Hallandale Beach falls within the CRA boundaries, including robust areas near Gulfstream Park.

"When the economy was up, we didn't do anything [in northwest] and now the economy is down and they say we can't do anything," said Sanders. "So when can you do something?"

Seems like Sanders' commission colleagues have already done plenty for him.

02-28-2009, 01:14 PM
You know what they say...where there's smoke there's fire. Keep digging Michael Mayo.

03-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I was hoping that this widespread corruption would go unnoticed. Maybe time to leave and head north !

03-18-2009, 09:39 PM
I hope everyone is getting mad at the BS the city is putting us through. If lauderhill (which is the poorest city in Broward), can get a 21% raise, why can't we? Oh, wait we just gave Gulfstream 10 million in tax brakes because they are going in bankrupcy. Well maybe Good will take the extra $25 for cell phones and give it to them also.

03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
The ball is offically rolling. It is emparitive that everyone sticks together on this. The Chief and the city will screw with us every way that they know how, we just have to be united. Stand up for your reps like the stand up for us, don't back down when your name is called out. And if your a scab, please reconsider, it's only yourself that your hurting.

03-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Emparative.

Well that is an inspiring message.

04-15-2009, 01:19 AM
We officially vote this week. Lets hope everyone votes the same way and a clear message is sent to the City. Tho only way to get what we are owed is to not back down.

04-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Now I just want you boys to understand what you are voting for. A/Chief Jimmy told me that this one year deal is the best the city has to offer. Now Momma doesn't need the money but I understand most of you do, so think wisely in these hard times

04-20-2009, 12:59 AM
The final offer by the city was pathetic. If thats the best they can do then the city is in worse shape than I thought. I don't think the city is in such dire straights due to the recent publications in the news papers. We need to hold strong and not back down, they definately arn't going to GIVE us anything. The only choice for those of us that choose to stay is to fight.

04-29-2009, 01:15 PM
ITS OFFICIAL... An overwhelming majority voted down the contract. Hallandale union members finally stuck together and pulled it out. Now that this has happened we should know the toughest fight is still coming. Lets continue to stick together and support our union reps as they do us. Everyone knows how the department will dangle carrots and make implied threats to the reps trying to get them to turn. This being said, lets make sure we stand behind them so they don't bear that burden alone. :devil:

04-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Hell to the yea!!!!

To the 7 that voted yes: SABS!!!

Michael Mayo for City manager!!!!

06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
where's marsha