PDA

View Full Version : Computer Detail picks

01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
What do you think. I like JH's idea. I would spend some detail cash for the ability to pick from my home computer. Lets get an idea of how many are for or against. Let us please not trash anyone either. This is a good opportunity to see how we all feel about this. Pros and cons.

01-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I think that it is a great idea. It should bring more control, and make it a better fair system for East/West side officers.

01-10-2009, 12:45 AM
I like the idea. It keeps it fair for everyone. You can only pick when you are suppposed to and it is truly a first come, first served type of system. Lets hope it doesn't freeze up at 0001 on the 1st though, LOL. Probably be 50 people on all at once. I would like to say that we have a great department. Look at us being able to make extra money if we want, and good money. We don't have to go get a second job or anything. Too bad we lost a few details but look at other people losing their jobs, homes, cars. We have it good here and need to give thanks for that.

01-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Is someone ever going to screen Panettas dumb emails so that we all don't have to suffer through them? Her latest about "investing" in the detail business is just about one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

01-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Is someone ever going to screen Panettas dumb emails so that we all don't have to suffer through them? Her latest about "investing" in the detail business is just about one of the dumbest things I have ever read.
I agree with her. Why do we have to pay for improvements in the detail system? When we work details, we are employees of the union.

If the PD needs new cars, do we pay for them? Obviously not. The employer pays for them.

If we are not decision makers (and we are not, because we had the new fines imposed on us without a say in the matter), we should not have to be financially responsible for upgrades and necessary improvements.

I find it strange that you would criticize Panetta's suggestion that WE not pay for the upgrade. Why is keeping money in your pocket dumb? My guess is that you must be one of the DLOs.

While I'm on this topic, I like Steve, but it was pretty ballsy of him to put out there that it was going to cost the officers money to change the system. What about all the money that the PBA gets from the details? That sounded like a politician trying to scare people by saying that their taxes are going to go up. Well I think we've payed enough in taxes to the PBA and DLOs. Some of that should go towards upkeep.

01-13-2009, 03:36 AM
This is all a nice idea but just like our "Pines Papa unit" project, it's not gonna go anywhere.
What's gonna happen when we have our next hurricane? Which will probably happen at the beginning of the month, and probably right after we first decide to get this program. We all know it can take up to and longer than a week to restore power. Granted, we have a generator, but what about phone lines?
And what if someone who loves to work details, gets the password(s) of someone who never works them just to make an extra pick and an extra buck? This person that doesn't work details may obtain some sort of gain from the person willing or greedy enough to work all the details they can possibly muster. But who's gonna care if "so-and-so" signed up for a detail and gave it away to the same person every single time? The computer will never catch it. Neither have our DLO's. Our current system doesn't work, and this proposed system won't work. What will? INTEGRITY!!!!
The only thing I see wrong with our system now is not enough people are being checked up on. People have been allowed to get away with their little scams for quite some time. I know what they are and who uses them. I even know the different names they use or the different scams. Thanks to you guys, we have lost some prime details. I despise each and every one of your methods of operation. God forbid I ever become a DLO, you're scams are done!!!! And I'll do it with either less than half the money, or none at all.

01-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Yes to an online system for details. The funding is already there, there’s no need to make the officers pay for it. Don’t we already spend about 120K per year on the DLO’s? Do we really need 3 of them? Get rid of one and we have 40K in funding, lose another and we have 80K. They preach all day about professionalism, integrity, and service … But what about them? Shouldn’t they be on top of the issues too?

Problems like early picking, guys taking more details than allowed or just not being at their details, have been going on forever. We pay the DLO’s to address these issues on a regular basis, not just when someone files a complaint. 40K a year is the equivalent of working a crap load of details. So, earn your money! Provide the service we are paying you to provide. Randomly show up at details… make sure the officers are there (this would’ve helped with Silver Lakes). Check the detail book for abusers!

Oh, here’s another idea:

No one OVER the rank of Sergeant should be allowed to take details unless a supervisor is specifically requested by the vendor. Also, DLO’s should not be allowed to work details unless nobody else is available. Aren’t these people already making enough money????

Oh and for God’s sake please get a full time person to do the invoicing!!!!

01-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Please stop, the Captains make $135 a year and now want a vehicle allowance. How do you expect them to live and feed their families without working details.

01-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Please stop, the Captains make $135 a year and now want a vehicle allowance. How do you expect them to live and feed their families without working details.

Poor them. I feel so bad for them. They are such hard workers! :snicker:

01-14-2009, 03:19 AM
LETS HAVE ONE DLO TO BE A LIASON TO THE VENDERS AND FOR NEW AND LAST MINUTE DETAILS. WE CAN THEN USE THE SAVED MONEY TO GIVE TO THE CITY IN HARD BUDGET TIMES. IN TURN, THE CITY WILL PAY US ON PAYDAY ON TIME......
THIS WAY THE OFFICERS GET PAID AND THE CITY CAN ALSO MAKE MORE CASH DURING THIS TIGHT BUDGET TIMES.

CAN WE AFFORD TO LOSE ANY MORE DETAILS, MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE RAISED THE HOURLY RATE EVEN HIGHER.

I WOULD LOVE TO FIND OUT WHAT THE DLO'S REALLY MAKE TO DO 75 % OF THERE JOB ON DUTY........????????

01-14-2009, 03:21 AM
AND WE CAN PAY THE TEN GRAND FOR THE COMPUTER PROGRAM.......

01-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't know how or if this would work. What are the chances of the city cutting us a detail check and taking taxes number one and number two (doosy) having details counted towards our pension. Some departments do one or both so it can be done. Someone smart please educate me.

01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
How about we ask that only "responsible" Officers sign up for, and work details? From what I have heard, the only reason we (Miramar and Pembroke Pines) don't have Silver Lakes anymore is because of us. The Officers that worked and abused this detail (not answering the phone, having other Officers respond to calls, etc) are the ones to blame. I know who they are. And it was easy to spot (thanks to the radio) by the rest of us. Silver Lakes had no problems paying the extra money!!! But you lazy S.O.B's ruined it for us proactives.
Thanks for losing this detail for the rest of us!!!!
Sneer all you want at this post. You're a lazy piece of shizzat!!! I'll do everything in the future to prevent you from ruining another detail.

01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
As much as I dislike paying our DLO's not to check up on us, there is no other way you can have a computer program keep track of who's actually working a detail.
We have three DLO's that get paid a portion of our earned money.
The way I see it, my money goes towards making sure everyone else is keeping up with their share 24 hours a day.
Since my money wasn't being spent wisely, does that mean my money is just spent, and wasted?
What we need is some sort of GPS system to make sure an officer is within their area.
Disagree all you want, but if you disagree, you're probably one of those that leave the detail regularly. And, if you have to leave the detail for any reason, it should qualify you for overtime or a callout.
The proposer of this "computer program" probably has some sort of ulterior motive. Kind of like the person that got our department to purchase our current computer report writing system (which completely sux, asks redundant questions, and has bitten us in the arse ever since he left).
Not only that, but you also have to be an FBI agent to classify the crime in part I or part II offenses (remember Capt Idiot's "MR LABRATA"?), and know the generalization for the State statute (RIDICULOUS!!!!)
Some of us long timers know that program was a complete flop, and a complete waste of money, before we even bought into it.
We wasted our money on the current "paperless" report writing which seems to have more paper now than ever.
"Four copies here, two copies go there, the yellow goes here, and the pink there. This department says they want this form filled out this way from now on, this Captain says they want this done from now on". You have to swipe your card every 15 minutes, and dispatch calls every so often in between. Not to mention, you get an e-mail from MB, or AM saying there is something wrong with your report, the property you've entered, or you neglected to add a certain line in your report.
I realize that I got a little side tracked in my ranting, but the above only took a few minutes to read. This detail thing was just the final push.
We need to make our lives a little simpler. I really don't believe this proposed program is gonna help out in any way.
Thanks, but no thanks.
And please stop posting, and agreeing with yourself on here as if it's several different people responding.

01-16-2009, 12:27 AM
I agree. But now you have to ask yourself, am I the same person that wrote this stuff? Things that make you go hmmm...