PDA

View Full Version : Starting the process and looking for pointers...

12-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello Everyone,
I've recently submitted an application and am scheduled to take the B-PAD soon. I was advised by a Seargent at another agency that Miramar is a really good agency to work for - good equipment, pension and benefits - and I'm really looking forward to taking the next step with you guys.

Here are a couple of questions for you:

How many new officers does it look like the department will be hiring?
How was your process overall?
Any advice for the B-PAD?
How would I go about scheduling a ride-along with your department?

I've been reading through many of the forums on this site, and the Miramar PD section is not the only one that is loaded with bickering and complaints. That being said, I have to believe that once you guys are on the street, you put it all behind you. I mean, people are depending on you... and you guys have to depend on eachother for safety and support. Can anybody offer some insight?

Thanks in advance.

12-18-2008, 12:21 AM
We are the only agency in the US that has SATAN on staff to fulfill your daily needs. :devil:

12-18-2008, 01:18 AM
....and an ace detective who likes to sell plasma tv's.

12-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Would anyone else like to try to read my original post and answer some of the questions?

12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Hello Everyone,
I've recently submitted an application and am scheduled to take the B-PAD soon. I was advised by a Seargent at another agency that Miramar is a really good agency to work for - good equipment, pension and benefits - and I'm really looking forward to taking the next step with you guys.

I've been reading through many of the forums on this site, and the Miramar PD section is not the only one that is loaded with bickering and complaints. That being said, I have to believe that once you guys are on the street, you put it all behind you. I mean, people are depending on you... and you guys have to depend on eachother for safety and support. Can anybody offer some insight?

Thanks in advance.

Ok hope this is helpful.......

The process varies depending on how many applications and qualified applicants they have. Your scores and previous experience also plays a part. When I applied it was during a major push to get officers. It was about 2 weeks from the day I put in my application to the day I started the academy, I just happened to put in at the perfect time.

The only advice for the Bpad is to act as if you're an officer and respond to the situation thats presented.

You can submit a form to do a ride along. They may have to do a quick background check on you but you can get the info at the communications center or check with HR.

With our new contract we're on a 2 tier system with new hires having different benefits but the benefits are still good. Most likely in time (the next contract) the "new" people will get the same benefits as the "vets" and the new hires will have to deal with a second tier system again.

The department has its problems but so does every department. There are a few people who I don't like working with and one or two that I don't feel safe working with but for the most part everyone is 10-8.

If you've had any experience in the business world then you'll realize that working at Miramar isn't as bad as some big companies are.

12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks - this was helpful.

Do you sense that there is currently "a major push to get officers?"

Would it be possible for you to explain the 2 tier system?

12-18-2008, 09:44 PM
The guys that are already there get good pension benefits (can retire at 20 years with 80 %) and the new hires get not as good benefits (25 years to retire with 75%) Even being in tier 2 its still not that bad.

12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks - this was helpful.

Do you sense that there is currently "a major push to get officers?"

Would it be possible for you to explain the 2 tier system?

There isn't a major push but a constant process now. There's a bit of movement in the dept so road patrol always needs bodies. As it is there are about 60 road patrol officer, 15 bravo (days) and 15 alpha (nights) times 2 for each platoon, white and green. Officers get promoted, go to special units (you can apply to a special squad after 2 years) or leave (by "choice") so there's always a shortage on the road.

The 2 tier system came about from the last contact negotiations. All the benefits are the same with the exception of the pension. Like the other post said the vets have 20 & 80 which means after 20 years you get an 80% pension. The new hires, those hired after the date the new contract set in have to put in more time and get a lower pension. Besides that there's no real difference with benefits and pay.

12-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Is there an age requirement for retirement, or is it 20 or 25 years regardless of your age?

This is all great information. Thank you all.

12-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Is there an age requirement for retirement, or is it 20 or 25 years regardless of your age?

New contract has you retiring at 25 years and you start collecting a check the day you retire. Unlike oter professions "we" are high risk and the federal government likes us to get paid before we get really old.

12-21-2008, 12:45 AM

New contract has you retiring at 25 years and you start collecting a check the day you retire. Unlike oter professions "we" are high risk and the federal government likes us to get paid before we get really old.
Whoe ever posted is not a real cop. You dont make any sense. What does the federal government have to do with MPD? You dont have to retire after 25 years, If you do retire after 25 years you can DROP so you wont be collecting a check the day you retire.

12-22-2008, 12:05 AM

You can retire after 10 years of service at a lower pension regardless of age. It's 20 or 25 years of service to get a "full pension". If you have military experience you can buy back time so you retire earlier with your full benefits.

The best advice is for you to go to HR and get the info yourself (in writing) so you know what the facts are. Remember that this is a public message board so there are people posting here who have no idea what the actual contract reads or what the benefits are....ie the comment about federal government wanting us to get paid lol.

12-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks again everyone.

Have a Happy and Safe Holiday, and I hope to meet some of you soon.

01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't know if the Officers I met this weekend frequent this site or not, but I wanted to thank you all for your help and insight. If all goes well, I'll see you soon.

01-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.

I have to say that even if you don't get hired, you're writing skills are pretty good. It's just too bad Miramar or the rest of the agencies in Broward didn't aim for people who can explain their thoughts well enough to be understood by everyone. Around here you only need to impress a "jury of one's peers" which usually means "coerce a moron's preditermined judgement". If you work in Broward you already know that:
1) Judges will find you not guilty.
2) ........ will find you guilty and not adjudicate
3) ....... will adjudicate but set them free.
3) Or they will find you guilty, adjudicate you, but give the minimal punishment.
It pretty much goes the same for jury trials.
If you're not from Broward, I say "Welcome to our Liberal county!!!!!"
If you're not from this State. I say "Stay where you're at"
Florida is a powder keg just waiting to explode thanks to a number of things. A few I'm certain you're aware of. Some of which I pointed out above. The pay might be enticing, but believe me when I say this, all that hard work that builds up your blood pressure usually amounts to NOTHING!!!!!

01-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info / warnings, but I think I'm going to take my chances. Also, thanks for the compliment - hopefully it will get me somewhere...