PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating Rules

12-10-2008, 02:34 AM
I have a question for any UCF cop.

It is my understanding that some UCF cops are enforcing some weird rules for UCF during tailgating. Do UCF officers have authority to enforce administrative rules or just the law? I have read the statutes regarding police at universities and it says they have the authority to enforce law and ordinances, but nothing about a rule.

It seems odd that a cop can hold people and order them to do things without a crime being committed? Can they do this?

I ask this because my friends and I (one of whom is a lawyer) is thinking about suing a UCF cop for false imprisonment. He was a jerk to us and ordered us to poor out alcohol and even took it from us and went into our cooler without our permission. I just wanted to get an inside perspective to see if this is something all of the cops do or if it was just this one cop.

Thanks for the help.

beanguy
12-10-2008, 02:42 AM
Open containers of alcoholic beverages are not allowed within 50 feet of a public thoroughfare. This means not only can you not have open containers while driving (or your passengers or within the driver's reach), and you can't walk along the side of a road with an open container.

UCF used to have a waiver in place for their 2007 games for open containers -- so there was drinking allowed on campus, in specified spots, during football games -- but this year the waiver will end at kickoff. Tailgating can continue, but not with alcohol.

12-10-2008, 04:17 AM
Open containers of alcoholic beverages are not allowed within 50 feet of a public thoroughfare. This means not only can you not have open containers while driving (or your passengers or within the driver's reach), and you can't walk along the side of a road with an open container.

UCF used to have a waiver in place for their 2007 games for open containers -- so there was drinking allowed on campus, in specified spots, during football games -- but this year the waiver will end at kickoff. Tailgating can continue, but not with alcohol.

My question was more related to rules about not having glass bottles and keeping my tent in a painted box. Can an officer keep me from leaving or take my bottle if I am 35 years old and drinking in an approved area? There were other strange rules too that doesn't seem to be the job of a cop, more of a school principle or something.

I already researched the rule about open containers and the Orange County ordinance says that you can not have an open container anywhere in public areas. I guess this means anywhere on the campus since it is in Orange County. I still can't believe Orange County approved a "waiver" to the open container law at UCF. I am glad they did, but the way everyone was fighting the stadium construction, I am surprised they didn't fight the drinking issues.

Good thing for those of us who like to drink at games.

12-12-2008, 10:07 AM
The glass bottle rule is spelled out in the tailgating rules which are part of the open container waiver. In order to have the open container exemption the school restricted common source(kegs) and glass bottles among other things. I believe UCF is physically in Orange county but not subject to orange county ordinances since it is state property.

yes an officer be it UCF, OCSO,SCSO,ABT, etc can detain you as long as necessary to conduct their lawful investigation of whether you have violated Florida Statute, Ordinances, or other relevant law. I must wonder what you did to peeve the officer. Arguing with a cop is a bad idea, it's really easy to make an arrest for public intoxication, disorderly conduct, resisting w/o violence or a multitude of other crimes.

There is no arguing that some UCF PD officers are a bit anal retentive, but its understandable dealing with snot nosed college kids everyday.

thanks for supporting UCF football after they screwed the proverbial canine again.

12-13-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry but this turd is crying about getting arrested/detained / whatever, and comes on this post to ask YOU legal advise about suing a member of a your Department?

Here's some advise ......go ahead and sue, knock yourself out. What kind of Lawyer is your buddy that he can't figure out the law and has to have you ask on a site like this?

Or is there more to the story .....or ..... this is total B.S. either way have Morgan and Morgan or 1800 ask Gary, not drink and act like a turd at games.

Not a UCF Cop Also

12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
"""I ask this because my friends and I (one of whom is a lawyer) is thinking about suing a UCF cop for false imprisonment. He was a jerk to us and ordered us to poor out alcohol and even took it from us and went into our cooler without our permission. I just wanted to get an inside perspective to see if this is something all of the cops do or if it was just this one cop."""

Running up to smashed up cars at accidents and stuffing cards in the bleeding victims pockets ..... Most likey thats the type of Lawyer he is

02-16-2009, 12:44 AM
"""I ask this because my friends and I (one of whom is a lawyer) is thinking about suing a UCF cop for false imprisonment. He was a jerk to us and ordered us to poor out alcohol and even took it from us and went into our cooler without our permission. I just wanted to get an inside perspective to see if this is something all of the cops do or if it was just this one cop."""

Running up to smashed up cars at accidents and stuffing cards in the bleeding victims pockets ..... Most likey thats the type of Lawyer he is
You know, it's really unprofessional to insult the professional members of the community.