PDA

View Full Version : College Education

11-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Does having a high school education make me more or less of a better "Cop"? Does the fact that some of the guys bought theirs from International College provide them with more insight or tools to get the job done?

If so, then how did we get one of the best Captains ever into that position? The guy had a High School Education just like so many of us. Did that make him less marketable? Who would the troops rather follow? The Captain whom I have referred to previously, or the so called Administrator who holds a Masters Degree?

****Isn't the reason why the Agency went to the pool of 3 to the pool of 6 to the pool of "whatever", to select the so called best person for the job? Isn't that why they stated the Captain was the best person? Why are we reverting to the past, and only doing so, when it is convenient.

Look around the agency! Some of the best Supervisors are not the so called "Intellectuals", but the ones that were in your shoes and know what it is like to be there. They can relate to what the patrol unit is, what they do, and they have not separated from it.

Look at the Lieutenant who I hope will make Captain. He has a history of being called "a patrolman's Supervisor". Although he holds a rank, he doesn't let it go to his head. Come on, is the CHIEF really going to allow everyone of us to attend school on duty. If so, who is going to work the road?

I bet that Lieutenant and Captain, stated above would. I say that from personal experience. They have what it takes.

I commend the agency personnel who have their degrees, but personally don'e believe that it makes them that much more or less of a cop. I am but one voice, and no matter what I say or write, the CHIEF, will do what he thinks is "best for the agency".

11-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Can you be a good cop without a degree? Sure, we have them...and yes, some are great supervisors. Do those with degrees have an extra tool or more insight to do the job? Of course they do, but you wouldn't know. Go buy your degree from International College...The Department will pay for it!!! There's no reason to be afraid...unless you can't read multiple chapters and write several papers a week.

11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Is this going to be something that everyone is going to adhere to? Will my Captain or Lieutenant be forced to have a so called higher education, or is this only going to apply to the people who want to be promoted from here on out.

Is this going to apply to the people who are already holding rank? If they want to move on, will they have to get a degree or just make it look like they are seeking one?

11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm going out on a limb by saying this, but I am guessing the promotions are going to change. Someone posted lists of prospective promotions, but nobody figured that they would need a College degree.

Things that make you go hmmmm. Good thing those @ss ki$$er$ started working on their higher learning before anybody got word of this.

11-23-2008, 07:27 PM
What will be next? Oh the Chief is learning to speak 2 languages, so now EVERYONE will have to do so. Or maybe the Chief likes to go fishing or enjoys being a wood craftsman----therefore EVERYONE has to find time to go fishing or become a skilled tradesman.

Give me a break! Good for you. You got a degree. However you may have obtained it; you did it but why does everyone else have to?

Sounds like a kid. I had to do it, so now you are going to have to do it.

11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey Chief, I got an idea. Take a poll throughout the agency. Or better yet, have each employee, that holds a Masters Degree, write an arrest report. Instead, have each one complete a couple of paragraphs. Then take random employees, that dont have a degree, and do the same.

Hopefully, you will see for yourself that a Degree doesn't make you smarter. Look around you. Brian O'Reilly is the exception to this. He is actually an intelligent individual and CAN write a report himself.

Don't believe me, check it out for yourself. I wonder whether its :twisted: discrimination :twisted: --if someone gets promoted because they have a Degree and the other doesn't. I wasn't at the last Union meeting, but is that what was said?

I bet if I was a different ethnicity, the whole Degree thing could be overlooked, wouldn't it. Or better yet, if I got Brother James or some other ex-con community leaders vouching for me---that puts me in the inside circle. Right???

You wouldn't want us all gathering together at the downtown hotel and forming a coup d' etat. Last time it happened, CHANGE came about. I know some of us got promoted out of it, but maybe its that time again.

11-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Obviously not everyone is thrilled about this whole college degree promotion deal. I too agree that Baker shouldn’t solely base his decision on whether or not someone has a degree to hang on the wall. A degree does not make someone smarter nor does it prove they can be a great supervisor. Years of service, how they perform, what they have accomplished over the years, how much they are respected by others, streets smarts, great personality and how well they work with others should also play a role in your decision. If you promote someone because of their race or gender just to please the community and these individuals do not have a degree you will only cause animosity and you will not get the respect that you want from your officers. Don't stress so much on their college education, it is a great tool but you have to consider some of these officers spend most of their time at work and have to spend the rest of their time with their family and they don't have an opportunity to go to school.

TLC

11-25-2008, 05:19 PM
You all should really stop your crying and get of off your ass and go get a degree. It will only help you in your next career. Look at all the people who have them and are now about to retire, the fact that alot of them have degrees will put them a top any job opennings for sure. I do agree that a degree does not make a cop.. There a plenty of great cops around here without one. But some of the street cop supervisors like Jelks, Lehman, and Tarmen have degrees and still did not forget were they came from :shock: and are there for the troops each and every day. The fact is the Chief wants it and it will happen so go and get it, it will only help you.

11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah that is right! What Ole Dougy Boy wants---He gets. He wanted more minorities in the Ranks, and he got it. He wanted better community relations with the so called "Dunbar Community" and he got it.

What happened when Dougy Boy failed to get what he wanted--referring to the contract not passing---NOBODY can have Overtime. I'm sure that will be lifted now that the contract is approved.

:roll: Dougy Boy you always said you weren't going to forget where you came from. :roll: You have come a very long way, skipping by the rank of Lieutenant, to Captain then Major, and now Chief. I personally think the only ones you haven't forgot about were the ones who kissed your @$$ and used the old smoke and mirror tricks to tell you what a great job they were doing. This in turn reflects positively on----YOU.

Do you like what is written here on this website? Does it make you feel proud to be the leader of this agency? Do you even pay attention to the concerns and complaints which are aired here? Come on Doug, pay attention to "us" like you do the "Dunbar Community".

Try paying attenntion to the workers and not to the woodworkers, fisherman, or boat Captains. They each might be good at their so called skill, but leave alot to be desired as law enforcement personnel goes.

11-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Let's put Baker to the test, we have a couple of individuals on the sergeants list that are minorities, have a college degree and are well respected by other officers. Can Baker figure it out or will he just continue to promote the a** kissing MoFo’s and the people who accomplished absolutely nothing during their years of service at FMPD. We are all anxious to see who Baker promotes. Stop this madness of unfair promotions and “Do the Right Thing”

TLC

11-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Do the Right Thing---that's a big joke. The only thing that will continue in this agency is the hypocrisy and the promotional process which leave something to be desired. Neither one is based on merit. I won't say that all of them didn't earn their positions because some did. Look around, these @$$ hole$ are supposed to be promoted to :devil: Lieutenants and Captains. :devil:

Come on. Let's wait to see how many of the minorities get promoted off this list! I wonder if its going to be based on pigmentation of peoples epidermis or whether or not I paid for my Degree? Either way, it should make for an extremely interesting year.

Wow, I thought since we were rid of Old Jefe, and we were getting D.B. things might change; however, it doesn't appear that way yet. :roll:

What are you going to do with so many people holding rank that don't have their degree? You gonna force them to go back to school? Probably not---I'm willing to put money on this--- :evil: I surmise they will get promoted to the next rank where they will remain (unless they get their Bachelor's or advise they are going to seek further education) :evil: . After all, we gotta take care of the guys and gals that took care of us.

We wil just have to wait though.