PDA

View Full Version : Why do you stay

11-15-2008, 11:34 PM
why the hell do people stay at FWC. Get your free training and a little experience and move on. Aren't you tired of taking it in the @$$. Anyone with self respect would not do your job for that type of money. An FWC guy backed me up the other night and he told me how much he was making. I was shocked. Then he told me how long he had been on and i almost passed out. It almost seems like you would have to have some self esteem issues to stick around and get taken advantage of by the state of Florida the way you guys do.

rickjames
11-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I'm taking medicine for it but nothing would help as much as getting some love from Tallahassee in the form of a big fat long overdue raise.

11-16-2008, 03:02 AM
It's a good entry level law enforcement job but you would really have to be crazy to stay here more than 2 or 3 years. Get some experience and then go federal or local since there is actually room for advancement (both financial and career). Or go to a state where they actually care about their law enforcement officers

11-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Florida spends less per capita on it's employees than any other state. To add insult to the damage, the legislature is proud of that fact.
Here is another fact - You can't fix STUPID.

I have a friend at Waste Management - good hours, better pay and benefits. We both deal with trash, but he is cleaner when he gets home. Go figure.

11-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Remember, state officers get paid for what they do. They are not real police so they don't get real police pay. They knew what the jobs were when they were hired. Less pay for less work, whats the problem?

11-17-2008, 12:41 AM
FWC is a freaking joke. The reason that I know this is b/c I work there (for the time being). The leadership in this agency is pathetic. This doesn't surprise me though b/c any officer that is worth a damn leaves to do bigger and better things. Those officers that stay are faced with a tough decision. Promote for a tiny bump in pay and then wind up doing a ton of paperwork and going to the office and not doing the things that originally prompted you to hire on. The result of this is that the majority of officers that stay with the agency that are actually worthwhile, do not want to promote. So you wind up seeing (about 80% of the time) people that should not be supervising becoming supervisors b/c they are competing for promotions with other people that probably should not be supervising. With the cream of the crop either leaving or sticking it out but staying at the officer level (again, there are exceptions to this b/c there still are a few good supervisors) you wind up with an agency with a balance of power that is @$$ backwards. For a perfect example, take the major of the SW region, then look at his track record at FWC and you will see a perfect demonstration of this.

11-17-2008, 10:42 PM
leave the major out of this, he is the best thing that happend in the sw region.

11-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Remember, state officers get paid for what they do. They are not real police so they don't get real police pay. They knew what the jobs were when they were hired. Less pay for less work, whats the problem?

the truth is we are real police just because we don't do alot of person crimes we still do an important job. just remember almost everyone we talk to has a gun and or knife alot of the "real police" would not know how to handle that type of situation. and when was the last time that the real police had to do proactive patrol and find a crime in progress not get sent to a call. it must be nice to be on a shift that you work you 8 or 12 hours and not have to worry about getting called out to assist in a boating accident, or a hunting incident, or a trespass complaint. and i wish you could work 8 hours on a boat in the hot sun dealing with people that are rude instead of in an ac car. i got into this type of work because i like doing this job. you got into your type of work because you like it. maybe you need to grow up and see not everyone wants to do what you do and not everyone wants to do my job. yes the hat is stupid, and the badge could have waited, but we just have to make due with what we have. i wake up every morning and love going to work if i could not say that i would go to a different job.

11-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Yes, I agree the hat is stupid and embarrassing! What a waste of money.