PDA

View Full Version : age

10-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Im 19 years old and I am an applicant and have my physical abilities test coming up this saturday. A week or so after the physical abilities test is my interveiw. I have done many ride alongs and I am confident and mature for my age. I also have a lot of knowledge about the outdoors. Is age going to be an issue for me just being able to get into the academy? How difficult is it to make it into the academy?

rickjames
10-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Son, age is always an issue. You are either too old or too young. But we are so desperate for warm bodies that you should not have a problem right now. However that should make you wonder why?? Good luck on your try outs.

10-29-2008, 01:12 AM
At 19 with no real responsibilities I would hire on. We send you through an academy. You got a job when you get out. The job itself is unreal. The starting pay is on par with many agencies. Get the training, the experience, and the joy for two years and then go elsewhere. Everyone that leaves is bitter about having to so they can survive financially. No one would leave if you could live on the pay.

I know, I left!

10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Don't get to excited, as I have never heard of anyone being hired who did not turn 21 by the end of the academy. And, rightfully so, what life experience does a 19 year old have? Start preparing yourself by building a resume to become more competitive in couple more years. Good luck!

rickjames
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Don't let them burst you bubble, I went through the academy with a 19 year old and I think he's a captain or general now.

10-29-2008, 06:55 PM
The FWC will hire anyone they can and feed them all of the wrong info about pay raises etc. Then after a few years of not getting raises and getting into trouble for taking "POLICE" action when you need to, you will go to a sheriffs office or a police dept. Save yourself the agony and time and go on an SO or PD now. Stay safe and good luck.....

10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Go into the interview and tell them you used to be a poacher until you found Jesus. Then tell them you live to hunt and fish while throwing in a few "Aw shucks" and some "Git er dunns". Next, talk about all the landowner contacts you have. If you have a really big belt buckle I would wear it.

10-30-2008, 02:21 AM
The last 2 posters must be from the east coast: Disgruntled! I may not like the cowboy hats and wish the pay was higher, but it is still a great job!!