PDA

View Full Version : Audit Letter

10-19-2008, 03:54 PM
I get up this morning and get the paper and low and behold there is an article in the News Sun about a letter from State Attorney Jerry Hill to Sheriff Benton dated October 17th (Friday). I will let the readers decide for themselves on all that was listed, but the bottom line is item 7 of the two major cases of the Feathers and Jaramillo homicides. “If the evidence in the Feathers case has now been located, we still need to know where it has been and whether the integrity has been compromised. More importantly, the reports indicated a number of items of evidence in the Jaramillo cases are unable to be located. We need to know what the items are and what happened to them.” Then in item 8 Hill states it appears that virtually all items in the Newell report in February 2008 remain unaccounted for as of the 17th, which I guess shows Newell was right.

How can Sheriff Benton say there was a good audit when they did not look in each sealed item and see if it was really there? Why is it said that FDLE did a oversight when they were not there all the time to watch for themselves to see if things were done right rather than just stop by from time to time and look at just selected items. Maybe FDLE Chief Michael Rafferty can answer that question. Why was there not an independent party there to over see HCSO and FDLE to see if things were done correctly? I would have settled for the Cub Scouts as they take an oath and have integrity.

It all comes back to the lack of leadership and integrity. We all know for years that Evidence has been understaffed and over worked and Sheriff Benton, Major Schrader and Captain Labelle did little to nothing about it until it hit the fan.

To Sheriff Benton, you brought this all on yourself by not thinking things through and just flying off the handled that we all have had to deal with over the last four years.
You posted your findings of the audit on the HCSO web site for all of us to read. Your response and the response of Mr. Hill are much different on the findings. One is not telling the truth or is twisting the numbers to make someone look good. As for the comment about the PBA, they appear to be right on about you. It is time for a change and if Grimming does not fix things then he to will be voted out in four years.
:idea:

10-20-2008, 01:29 AM
I have a couple more questions. Why did FDLE only monitor from time to time instead of being there full time? Who were the members of the team assembled by the Sheriff to conduct the audit? Why did they stop the audit at 77% ? Why didn't they go ahead and do a 100% audit? Would the percentage of items missing increase or decrease if the audit would have been 100%. ??????????????????????

10-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Get your facts straight. Blackman had it for the years when the big problems happened in 2007. Don't forget Duncan was there during that time as the unit's lieutenant. Labelle got it early this year. Lethbridge was down there for almost 2 years trying to straighten up Godwin's mess. There is plenty of blame to go around. Oh yes, let's not forget the tech that threw the DNA items away, and her name wasn't Benton! Take your ass down there and try and do better since you are so wise and cowardly at the same time.