PDA

View Full Version : Herald Tribune Article

10-03-2008, 02:55 PM
THE BELOW ARTICLE APPEARED IN THE HERALD TRIBUNE:

911 lawsuit isn't one to ignore

Published: Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 2:01 a.m.
After Denise Lee was abducted from her home in North Port, a witness called 911 after hearing frantic screams from the back of the abductor's car.

The Charlotte County sheriff's 911 office mishandled that call. Although several patrol cars were in the area, help did not arrive. Lee was murdered.

Whether that mistake should now form the basis of a successful lawsuit against the Sheriff's Office by Lee's husband is a matter worthy of debate. I'm inclined to think not, because the Sheriff's Office didn't cause the murder. It only failed to prevent it in confusing circumstances.

But this isn't just a legal matter. That terrible mistake was real, and was compounded days later when Sheriff John Davenport made a public statement that lacked the expected apology. He seemed more focused on criticizing reporters for putting him on the spot with questions.

That gave the impression he was at least as interested in dodging public blame as in tracking down and correcting tragic errors. And whatever training and policy changes that have followed, what is happening now makes me think that one lesson has not been learned.

The sheriff continues to act like the best policy is to avoid the topic no matter who brings it up. In April it was Lee's husband, Nathan, when he notified Davenport, in writing, that he intends to sue.

State law requires that warning six months before filing a suit like that. The idea, as I've understood it, is that government deserves a presumption that it will try to do the right thing. Officials get a chance to respond in a helpful way. Sometimes, even the right words can help.

But Nathan Lee, as a Herald-Tribune story reported this week, says Davenport has ignored that letter.

A sheriff's spokesman said it was passed to a law firm, Purdy, Jolly, Giuffreda & Barranco of Fort Lauderdale. That firm says it will get involved only if a suit is filed.

Nice. In effect, the law has become nothing but a stall. It helps the sheriff appear to turn up his nose at the matter. That's sad.

I don't suggest the sheriff should offer a settlement or imply the lawsuit has legal merit. But he could acknowledge the man's beliefs about that tragedy and the 911 error.

If a lawsuit is about a frivolous matter, there could be nothing wrong, maybe, with ignoring the notification. That conveys disdain, which might be the right response to some claims, I guess.

But showing disdain to a man whose wife was murdered in such circumstances? That's just wrong.

Tom Lyons can be contacted at tom.lyons@heraldtribune.com or (941) 361-4964.

guest50
10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
The problem is that sheriff Davenport does not care. He will be retired in a couple of months and has no intentions on fixing any problems or having any sympathy for anyone. As long as he does not address issues then time will pass and he will make well over 100K a year of taxpayer monies from his pension that in my opinion he does not deserve. He has done nothing for the Charlotte County Sheriff's Dept..

10-04-2008, 02:01 AM
....and wouldn't you know the SOLE person who broke procedure that evening STILL breaks procedure and still gets PAMPERED by her supervisors as if she has something on them...

10-04-2008, 12:22 PM
this was in today's Char Sun

10/04/08
Don't give Cameron four more years

Editor:

During a recent interview with a local news station, Nathan Lee stated "I don't know when the community is going to say enough is enough." This was in response to what many say is the nonpunishment the two dispatchers received for the mistakes made in handling the 9-11 call that may have saved the life of Nathan's wife, Denise. Now Bill Cameron, who as chief deputy was responsible for the day to day operations of the sheriff's office at the time of this botched 911 call, wants the citizens to elect him as sheriff.

Cameron's campaign centers around numerous endorsements made through political favors and friendships; his very misleading "Cops for Cameron" signs. Not so much about what he can do, without Davenport, to benefit the citizens of this county. In an August interview with a news station, Cameron stated that if elected he'll run the office the same way he and Davenport have for the past four years. Is this what we want, more mistakes and more importantly, an administration that fails to readily admit their mistakes and take effective action to ensure the same mistake isn't repeated. A vote for Cameron isn't a vote for a leader, it's a vote for someone who's made a career out of riding on the coat tails of others. Hopefully on Nov. 4 this community will say "enough is enough."

Kelly Whidden

Port Charlotte

10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Who cares, the incident was an accident, Davenport was the boss, blame him... Get over it and move on.

guest50
10-07-2008, 12:55 AM
That's the problem what if it was your wife then you might care. You are no better than Davenport. That is exactly what his response was to the incident. It's officers like you that makes this Dept. a joke.

10-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Hey Melo Hater, why don't you go make that statement to Denise's father in person... Exactly Coward.

10-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Who cares, the incident was an accident, Davenport was the boss, blame him... Get over it and move on.

YOU- ARE AN IDIOT