PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal on laterals with the hiring Freeze?

09-29-2008, 03:16 AM
Just a quick question to anyone who may know. I would be a lateral coming over but to my understanding there is a hiring freeze until early October. Im sure there is a list of people waiting to get on due to the hiring freeze, although Im sure this will consist mostly of new hires(recruits). Does anybody know what the situation looks like for laterals? Thanks in advance to whoever can shed some light on the subject.

Be safe out there people!

09-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Well you maybe in luck. I heard that the county might pull their head out of their arse and hire laterals that already know what to do vs putting some pencil neck zero through the academy just to fire them. Check in after Oct 1 with personnel dept and see. I heard that they are already downsizing personnel due to budget cuts and only allotted 68 positions for non-certified. If you have two years in a dept in dade county already with a good backround you should not have a problem. They are awaiting a lateral training class the problem is that they need at least 10 bodies in order to do a lat class to put out on the road.

Good luck and hopefully you are not one of those zeroes looking for another cake walk job.

09-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. And you dont have to worry about me lateralling over for a "cake job".....trust me when I tell you that I NOW have a cake job, but need to move onto bigger and better things. Old-timers who have retired come knocking on my agency's door looking for a "cake job". I have 4yrs on with my agency, I love the job, but there are way too many things I wanna do with MDPD that there just are no opportunities for where I am now.

09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. And you dont have to worry about me lateralling over for a "cake job".....trust me when I tell you that I NOW have a cake job, but need to move onto bigger and better things. Old-timers who have retired come knocking on my agency's door looking for a "cake job". I have 4yrs on with my agency, I love the job, but there are way too many things I wanna do with MDPD that there just are no opportunities for where I am now.

u must work for Monroe like me. that place suxs

10-02-2008, 01:53 AM
I don't understand why the county requires those that are certified to go through a Lateral Academy. They should have an extended orientation or something and then throw them into FTO.

10-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Well as far as the lateral academy it is only two weeks for in county laterals. I have a feeling depending on your time on the job they will not put you at the last phase of a current academy class. The good thing is that you will do less than 4 months on FTO if you can hack it out. Good luck to you guys and don't give up hope.

10-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Well as far as the lateral academy it is only two weeks for in county laterals. I have a feeling depending on your time on the job they will not put you at the last phase of a current academy class. The good thing is that you will do less than 4 months on FTO if you can hack it out. Good luck to you guys and don't give up hope.

My FTO was for only 6 weeks, when I graduated the cross over academy from corrections.. 4 months for a certified guy??? Holy crap what are you showing them all the places to get cafe cubano..

10-06-2008, 04:36 AM
What can one expect from the Lateral Academy? What does it cover? Anyone know of an official time with the class & FTO? Is the County still not giving take-homes until after Probation?
I'm originally from Miami-Dade County, but got certified and worked in another state.

10-06-2008, 05:21 AM
What can one expect from the Lateral Academy? What does it cover? Anyone know of an official time with the class & FTO? Is the County still not giving take-homes until after Probation?
I'm originally from Miami-Dade County, but got certified and worked in another county.

*Correction from previous*

10-07-2008, 02:44 PM
The lateral training covers basics that the county wants you to do on calls for service and the sop's. As far as the FTO it can be terminated no less than two to three months depending on progress of the officer. And take home cars aaaahhhhhhh. Don't hold breath we don't have any as of now. Average wait is 6months to a year off of probation and now even longer due to budget cut backs GSA is holding all the cars.

10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Anyone have any updates on the freeze? Im more than ready to make the jump over and the fact that there wont be a takehome car right away is not gonna be a deal breaker for me.

10-08-2008, 12:58 AM
The new budget still has not come through supposedly there is a big transfer list coming out and maybe after that the budget will get finalized and hiring will take place keep up hope gentlemen. Remember once you are in don't f it up and get canned.

10-21-2008, 03:33 AM
So, does anybody know if the freeze has been lifted for certified lateralls? I check everyday online but the PO position has not yet been announced....Im getting antsy over here!!

11-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Well, I took the plunge tonight. Even though I still havent seen the PO position announced on the website, I filled out an application online and submitted it...Screw it...at least it'll be in the system once they decide to announce it. :cop:

11-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Why do you care to work for MDPD (brown clowns)....with all the areas that are being incorporated, the only thing you guys will be patrolling is your own building....

11-27-2008, 06:12 AM
If you join the Miami Police department, we can work it out to where you can test drive a Brand New Lexus for about a year, while giving you a separate car allowance(Not to be used to pay for the Lexus).

Can the Brown gowns beat that?

I think not!
:devil:

12-16-2008, 04:28 AM
Any laterals contacted from the July 30th orientation???????????????

01-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Nope. done with the whole process. Just waiting for a start date.

01-07-2009, 03:51 AM
Okay did you understand the prior posts QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Where you part of the July 30th orientation??????

01-16-2009, 05:19 AM
Does anyone know when the next lateral class is going to be?

01-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Call personnel and then let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!