PDA

View Full Version : Fort Myers to vote on creating police oversight board

09-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Fort MyersThe American Civil Liberties Union of Florida announced today that enough Fort Myers registered voters signed a petition calling for a vote on creating an independent citizen oversight panel of the Fort Myers Police Department.

More than 4,400 people signed, and 2,565 of those signatures were validated; 2,508 valid signatures were needed for the item to be placed on the ballot.

“The police need the support of the public,” said Howard Simon, executive director of the ACLU of Florida.

“They put their lives on the line every day, and they deserve the support of the public.”

He said having the independent oversight panel would help improve community relations.

If the measure receives more than 50 percent of the vote needed to pass, the City Council would be required to form a seven-member board — six would be elected by each ward and the chairwoman would be elected at large.

The panel would operate on an annual approved budget, be authorized by an independent attorney it appoints and have subpoena powers that may only be used upon approval of that attorney and in consultation with the state attorney of Lee County.

The board would be able to review policies of the police department, conduct independent investigations of police misconduct and make recommendations to the city manager and/or police chief to which written response must be received within 30 days.

The ACLU held a press conference outside City Hall in conjunction with the Citizens for a Better Fort Myers Government and the NAACP Lee County branch.

The proposed amendment to the city charter will go on the ballot in the city election in November 2009, said Sharon Harrington, Lee County Supervisor of Elections.

The Fort Myers City Council would have to approve a special election for the amendment to be voted on earlier.

“We’re hoping for March. We’re hoping not to put it off for another year,” said John Szymonik, president of the ACLU Lee County chapter.

“They need to have this put before the people ASAP.”
to vote on creating police oversight board

09-24-2008, 02:50 AM
I saw this comming. As soon as Daniels left the place is going to the dogs.

09-24-2008, 12:03 PM
PLEASEEEEE, Hilton was the one who got the ball rolling on this "citizens" board. I think this city needs a good enema, lets start with the NAACP and ACLU. Once the bodies start piling up in the city maybe they will leave the cops alone. Everybody wants to tell us how to do our job but no one wants to do our job. To all the liberals, kiss my #@s. :evil:

09-24-2008, 04:32 PM
So I guessing that the signatures of Ray-Ray, and Baby-Cakes were NOT validated? Well thats a load off my mind

09-26-2008, 11:56 PM
I can't believe that Daniels will be part of the board. I hope he's not gonna be the one running it.