PDA

View Full Version : FDLE Mandatory Fitness Test

09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I've heard from a friend in Tally that all agents are going to be required to complete a fitness test during a six month trial period. They obviously can't make minimum requirements in each category, but they expect a good faith effort (i.e. they don't expect you to complete the run in a certain time, but they expect you to at least run the whole distance). I asked about agents with pre existing injuries and he said that if an agent's injuries/medical condition keeps him/her from participating, then they will be placed on light duty until they are fit for duty as an agent (from what I've heard it seems that light duty entails hanging around the office in more of a clerical role). I, however, am not too concerned since they made the test real reasonable. From what I've gathered the test is as follows:

1.5mi run
Max push ups
Max sit ups
Max pull ups

09-23-2008, 03:05 PM
What's the difference in light duty or regular duty for FDLE - we all sit at desks all day anyway.

09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
The tests are from the Cooper Battery, pretty much what everyone uses lately as it has passed legal and scientific muster. The tests are 1.5 mi run/walk, max pushups, situps in one minute and a vertical leap. I believe pass values are 15+ mins, low 20's, low 30's and 16.5 inches, respectively. You can't fail any test and stay in, but those are the minimums. The higher the achievement, the higher the rate, e.g. from pass to excellent or even superior.

09-23-2008, 10:26 PM
This should not kill anybody.....either get in shape or get down the road!

09-23-2008, 11:50 PM
I agree that new young agents should meet some sort of criteria, however when all State agencies including FDLE hire senior, experienced agents in their late 40's and 50's... consideration must be given, especially for those working hard making cases and just getting older. The older agents have paid their dues at academies, in service training, etc. and to come up with a battery of tests after the State already hired these agents is absurd. The State agencies are not on the road fighting crime like the local P/O's. Encouragement should be given to those who were recruited to come to State agencies... and in fact I heard a new one... someone "flunked" ASP training in Tallahassee.. Is this a joke. Both were in ASP training at their other agencies and passed. You guys and gals in Tallahassee need to get off your high horse with what you are trying to make many " Investigative Agencies vs Regular PD"s. Or stop recruiting senior experienced agents who want to continue to contribute and put bad guys in jail. Physical fitness is one thing.. but changing rules on those you hired after you knew who we were and what we have done is just plain wrong. I am taking about the older guys making many... many .. major crime cases for many State agencies.

09-24-2008, 01:13 AM
It doesn't matter if you're some old dude - law enforcement is a high liability career field. I say bring it! This will be a great opportunity to break away from the desk and exercise a little.

09-24-2008, 01:20 AM
If we institute mandatory physical fitness standards as other local and federal agencies do, will we get three hours per week to work out on the clock like they do???? I hope so.

09-24-2008, 01:30 AM
If we institute mandatory physical fitness standards as other local and federal agencies do, will we get three hours per week to work out on the clock like they do???? I hope so.

I've heard that they will allow for work out time on duty, but that agents will have to completet a fitness IR documenting what they did each work out session.

09-24-2008, 02:20 AM
This is a great deal. You know, I know and the American people know - as a general rule you can't create a standard for employment then make the new standard retroactice unless there is an overwhelming job performance or security need. The agency will be forced to allow time and opportunity for everyone to comply. It would take years to force an exsisting employee out the door for not meeting a standard that didn't exsist when they were hired. The way I see it - free gym membership and work out on state time. Thanks Charlie. No raise, but a gym membership takes the sting out of that.

09-24-2008, 12:42 PM
So, is there any financial incentive for this, since a lot of the PD's and SO's offer this? Physical fitness, like religion and politics are personal issues...Period. I choose to work out 4-5 times a week because I WANT TO, not because I care or want to care what the agency thinks of me. My exercise is for me only, not the agency. Mandating physical fitness is ridiculous, is this all we have to worry about???

09-24-2008, 01:23 PM
RUMOR CONTROL

From Mike Crews:

The CJSTC implemented Physical Fitness standards at their August meeting. This only applies to those individuals entering a basic recruit training program and does NOT apply to current certified officers.

There are no in-service or fitness for duty standards adopted by the Commission.

From Ken Tucker:

Rumor! We have had no discussion about this within FDLE. We do have the fitness test for new hires.

09-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks Al,
Now you ruined my entertainment. I was wondering how long it would be before someone came on here and messed up the fun!!! I was hoping for 4 -5 pages of ranting first..You know the drill - "where's the union?" "where's my money?" 'where's the commissioner?"
I guess now we'll have to move on to more pressing issues....

09-24-2008, 09:11 PM
People should use this post as an example as to how BS can get out of control on this, and all blogs, site! I would not jump off on any thread posted here with out proof! :shock: