PDA

View Full Version : Crime Prevention

09-21-2008, 03:02 AM
I recently moved to Sarasota from Bradenton. When I requested a security survey for my home and office, I was told your agency doesn't do that anymore. You don't have crime prevention anymore?? Can anyone tell me if this is this correct :?:

09-21-2008, 01:01 PM
That is correct. Unfortunately as a result of fiscal mismanagement in the past SPD has lost roughly 20 sworn officer positions. Although this does not seem to be a large number on paper, it translates into approximately 15% of the sworn police officers employed in the City. This reduction in man power has resulted in the elimination of Crime Prevention, our Community Resource Team, one intelligence Detective, and the removal of all career development positions within the department. The SPD Patrol Division has been brought up to full staffing levels at the expense of all of the other units in the department (Detective Division, Narcotics, Traffic, Street Crimes Unit). You can expect an adequate response from a uniformed officer in a relatively timely fashion, but do not expect any additional services over and above that. The reality of the situation is that on Oct 1st we are expected to have reached a certain cost reduction level, in actuality we have only gotten half way there. I believe that in the foreseeable future more cuts forced by City Hall will be laid upon our doorstep resulting in the loss of more services that the Citizens of Sarasota have become accustomed to.

09-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Well said