PDA

View Full Version : BASIC RECRUIT TRAINING TAMPA HCC Y'BOR

09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Why doesn't FDLE monitor the colleges and the way they coduct their FDLE classes. There a huge problem.

A test taken yesterday, 17 September was failed by 50% of the class, as told to us by the class coordinator. That high of a failure rate shows that there is a disconnect between what is being taught and what is being tested. This class has been told a number of times that the test questions are developed from the chapter objectives. It is obvious this is not entirely true and a significant number of questions seem to focus on exact phraseology vice understand the concepts and functional application. For example; one of the questions from this test asked; what resource could someone considering suicide take advantage of that is available 24 hours a day? The answer choices were (as chose as I can remember) A. National Suicide Prevention Hotline, B. Florida Suicide Helpline, C. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, or D. Florida Suicide Hotline. All of these could be right because the intent is for you as police officers to know that there are suicide prevention resources, help lines, or hotlines available but the answer was C. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Yes it is in the book but in the section where it is found, there is no objective for knowing available resources for suicide. There are many others and I encourage you to review this test. We were told these questions were from a test bank in Tallahassee. I have since found out that they are from a test bank in St. Pete. I would hope since the state exam questions are derived from the objectives that the test we are taking would do the same. The last few tests indicate otherwise and if the verbatim answers can be found somewhere in the book it is testable.

Instruction for this chapter began on 20 Aug and concluded last night, 17 Sep, with the test. Of the 40 hour allotted for this chapter only 24 were actually used presenting material from the text book. The last two Saturday classes for the most part were spent watching movies, Full Metal Jacket, Witness, History X, and at least one other. These had nothing to do with the curriculum or add anything to better prepare us for the test. The last eight hours we received instruction in Substance Identification. Very useful information and accounted for a large part of the test. This was a little surprising considering the amount time allotted for it and the lengthy gap, taken up by the movies, and the other material presented prior to 29 Aug. I can attribute this to the lack of coordination between the Coordinators and the instructors. From the start of the academy every instructor has mentioned that they are all still getting familiar with the new curriculum and are somewhat ill prepared for class. Regardless, the Substance Identification block was scheduled for seven hours, four hours on 15 Sep and three hours on 16 Sept with the last hour on the 16th scheduled for “administration time”. The Substance Identification block used all the time on the 16th and there was no “Administration Time” allowed for what has normally been used for test review. The test was scheduled for the next day, 17 September.

The students in the nighttime class are all motivated and want to do well. We are all making a significant time and monetary investment by attending this academy at night after working full time. It is discouraging to hear the coordinator say that he was disappointed in our test performance when there is clearly a problem on the administration side. If there is too much time allotted to a section I am sure everyone would rather use more productively than spending their Saturdays watch movies. I hope you or someone will review these issues before some of the students are forced to make important decisions about their further participation in this academy.

09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
It's an issue, but not for FDLE specifically. You need to contact the CJSTC; it's under FDLE, but it's a commission comprised of different people (FDLE Agents, instructors, administrators, etc.).

09-25-2008, 03:30 AM
Sounds like whining students to me. We all made it through the academy just fine, maybe this group just isn't cut out to be in LE. Normally of the people who make it through the academy only about 40-50% ever get a job anyway, so if you don't pass and get dropped early maybe it will keep you from wasting anymore of your time.. Talk to the 50% of the class that passed the test to see what they are doing..

10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Meow, meow, meow. I am currently enrolled in a night LE class, we just took our Human Issues exam. Our class of under 20 people all passed with a mean score of 94% Sounds to me like a lot of whining from a bunch of students who didnt take the time to go home and study the book. I also work full time, attend the academy at night, and we also have 8 hour saturdays for firearms and swimming blocks mixed in. Each and everyone of us knows what it takes to pass the exams. This is Police Academy...stop looking at it as just another college class. Take some personal responsibility and stop blaming the instructors for not teaching to the test the way most colleges do. The exams are based on logic and theory, if you know these, you should be able to make a good educated guess as to which is the right answer out of the 4. Normally 2 can be eliminated immediately, leaving 2 possibles. We have also encountered a few questions that are sketchy at best, but not 50%. My advice is, suck it up and drive on....I wonder how many in your class passed the retake? I will bet that not everyone failed twice...the difference? Maybe a bit more studying and less TV at night. I know this comes off as a bit rough but I have noticed that alot of the PC bullcrap recently has really softened the Academy. Always, Always, Always remember why you joined the Police Academy...You are there to learn things that are going to keep you alive or your partner alive when the crap hits the fan. The tests are supposed to be hard. Its the hard that makes the academy great! Hope this helps.

10-25-2008, 02:26 PM
C'mon over to St Pete. The range does not use any times now. They just leave the target until everyone stops shooting. If you can not shoot, you get extra help, a test when no one else is around, and a passing score. At least you do if you are female. None of the guys have failed yet. I heard coach D tell the firearms guys that timing us was too stressful. The only bad part is if you arent from St Petersburg. Then it is a little tougher, but if you are from St P. you get to do all your stuff together with your homies, and the other agencys are kind of left alone in the class. I hope driving is this easy.