PDA

View Full Version : Local Academies

09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Are newly hired FWC officers being sent to Local Academies, Or are they sent elsewhere like FHP?

09-16-2008, 10:29 AM
They are sent to local academies, and have the option of going to one where they currently live or to one where their assignment will be. We are also hiring officers to a specific position so that they know for sure where they be assigned prior to being hired.

09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Call a recruiter for more info. they will be able to answer all your questions.

09-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Call a recruiter for more info. they will be able to answer all your questions.
Check myfwc.com and find your the region you live in, post the region here and someone will help you out. OR post what county you live in and someone will put you in contact with the recruiter.

09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm certified with experience. If I were to lateral over, whats the starting pay, and do I have to go to Pat Thomas for other training? Thanks.

09-18-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm certified with experience. If I were to lateral over, whats the starting pay, and do I have to go to Pat Thomas for other training? Thanks.
I only know rumors about laterals. One month we are actively seeking and then no new blood comes in. Starting pay is another issue. I am proud to say our official website is now accurate and true.http://myfwc.com/law/documents/LEOffice ... nefits.pdf (http://myfwc.com/law/documents/LEOfficerSalaryBenefits.pdf)
The kicker is this: your starting pay is your finishing pay IF you do not promote. We occassionally see a 3% bump and once we got $1000 gross as a one time "award". I work in Dade and 36K is killing me, with no real light at the end of the tunnel. Here in Dade off duties abound. Enhanced patrol both in the port and on water management district pay 1.5 times your hourly. Also real off duties are available after end of probation and after you secure insurance on the patrol vehicle. Obvious conflict of family vs. money issues arise. It is a real test of your dedication.
Now the good news, compared to Dade county local police agencies and I am speculating on other counties local PD's, we have an outstanding quality of life while working. You set your shift (within 12 hours you choose 8), light amount of radio traffic, small numbers of calls for service. In short you drive your own schedule, you really get to excercise proactive policing. There are negatives and a lot of positives, weigh out the money vs. everything else and see if this agency will fit you. Please don't have a retirement secured from another agency and come to FWC to "chill." We are extremely understaffed and don't need anyone else that doesn't make contacts and issue paperwork (relax FWC'rs WW's are paperwork too).

09-19-2008, 11:35 PM
The previous post is very good info/advice. I would only add that as a certified officer you do not have to go to Pat Thomas for training. You would be assigned to a Region/county and go directly into FTO. Since most of our priority vacancies are in the southern counties, you would have a very good chance of getting hired and staying at home. Pay attention to the Cooper fitness standards, which you must pass during the pre-employment phase. We lose about half of our applicants to the run. Good luck!

09-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Anyone know of any opening in Monroe County? And of out of curiousity why does FWC adopt the stricter PAT standards?

09-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Most of our priority vacancies are in the southern counties, so there are usually openings in Monroe. We use the Cooper fitness standards for pre-employment and annual fitness testing because we work primarily outdoors on the water and in the woods in conditions that require a high fitness level...and because as an agency we value fitness and the health benefits.