PDA

View Full Version : More cuts, layoffs possible, schools chief says

09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2008/09/09/a1b_sk_layoffs_0910.html

The waste at the School Board in Palm Beach County is appalling. The scariest thing is that you and I probably only know about a very small part of that waste. If an independent outside accounting firm was hired to come in and do a forensic accounting investigation some people would probably find themselves facing criminal charges.

As a taxpayer first and a law enforcement officer second, and no I do not work for the School Board Police, there is absolutely no legitimate reason that the School Board must have their own police department. Not only is this an added expense that unnecessarily burdens the tax payers of this county, but quite honestly the School Board should be concentrating on educating children and not running a law enforcement agency. Not to question the integrity and commitment of the individual School Police officers, but the School Board is also not able to provide the necessary law enforcement services that the safety of our children deserve.

Obviously we all know why Art Johnson and the Board keep their police department and it has nothing to do with being cost conscious or efficient, it has nothing to do with providing a safer environment for children to go to school either, it all boils down to one simple reason, and that is control. That’s right autocratic control. Art Johnson, the School Board and the various administrators and principles want to be able to dictate to law enforcement what occurs in their castles. They want to be able to decide who is arrested and who is not. They want to be able to decide who is investigated and who is not. They want to control every single thing within the walls of their school regardless of right or wrong and or whose safety is put in jeopardy. And all of this is done so they can manipulate their safety records and make their school look “safe” That’s right it’s all about image.

You see when a principle can tell a School Board officer that the kid who just pulled a knife on another student will not be arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, but instead they will handle it administratively, it all just goes away. There is no crime report and therefore no crime statistic and therefore no problem. At the end of the year if they are successful, the principle will have been able to circumnavigate the law successfully by instructing “their” police officer what is going to occur on as many criminal incidents as possible and their school will come out smelling like a rose. In the mean time the criminal thugs who should have been expelled permanently, arrested, charged and hopefully incarcerated are left to walk the halls of our public schools and continue with their criminal acts unabated all in the name of protecting the safety rating of a school. It happens everyday; just ask one of the real cops that still works for the School Board under condition of anonymity of course because they all fear the repercussions if it were found out that the truth was being exposed. You see the School Board knows that the Sheriff’s Office would not play those games and there in lies the problem. They would no longer be in control when it came to matters of criminal behavior in their schools and the all important safety ratings might suffer.

Yes it is time for Art Johnson and the School Board to be held accountable for their fiscal irresponsibility and their endangerment of every single good kid that attends public school. The money that would be saved by contracting with the Sheriff’s Office would be in the millions. And while this is but a small drop in the bucket compared to the 3 Billion dollar budget it is a start, but most importantly the safety of the children in our schools would be greatly enhanced.

09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Great comment, I agree with you 100% !!! Its time for our Reps and the PBA to present the idea of a merger to the District, and sell the idea. The idea of saving the District millions, while supplying them with a greater level of service. Thank you for taking the time to post that article.

09-11-2008, 01:59 AM
This is proof we need change ASAP. Lets sell this PBSO idea already, now is the time.

09-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Please tell me that you really believe that you have a say in the fate of this department. I understand that this is an outlet to vent your frustrations but some of you sound convinced that you actually get to direct the ship. Well here is a news flash for you, the people who are responsible for steering the ship really does not have a say in where they should guide it. This is NOT your typical police agency kids you should have did your homework before you signed up. You should have listened more intently when you were being interviewed instead of thinking about all the days off that was offered to you. And yes each and everyone of you said yes I understand and that it was not a problem. No you want people to think that you were mislead. Let's get real, if you were to get a 20% raise you would complain that it wasn't 25%. So here is the deal if you need to leave go, if you want to stay you are welcomed to. You are NOT getting a raise, there I said it. Cry, whine, *****, stomp your feet and pout bottom line, NO MONEY. So if you think there is a better opportunity somewhere out there I implore you to seize the day, I wish you the best of luck. But for the ones who know that this is the best they can do because they cant cut it with the big boys, you need to just shut your mouths and do your job and be happy that you have a job. Even if you are not getting what you deserve.

09-11-2008, 12:10 PM
You see when a principle can tell a School Board officer that the kid who just pulled a knife on another student will not be arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, but instead they will handle it administratively, it all just goes away. There is no crime report and therefore no crime statistic and therefore no problem

The principal, or designee, can decide if charges are pressed only when the school is a victim (i.e. theft of school property). When an individual is the victim (i.e. theft of a cellphone or ipod) it is up to the individual, not the administration, to decide. If a student burglarizes the constreuction site on the new Gardens HS, its the construction company, not the administration who decides. If a kid has a gun or knife on campus, the State of FL is the victim, not the School Dist. I've already had a case wherein the victims of the S/31 waived criminal charges, but the student was charged with poss on school grounds and expelled.

09-12-2008, 01:04 AM
SO WHAT'S YOUR POINT DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!