PDA

View Full Version : Why do you work for FDLE

08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Just trying to figure out why people work for FDLE. You guys do the same type of job as Federal Special Agents yet get paid half and often times a third of what Feds get paid. I can understand not wanting to move around but most federal agencies have gotten away from moving people around. So again, I am trying to figure out why would you want to work for FDLE. This post is not meant to be an insult at all to FDLE just an honest question. I appreciate what you guys do for such little pay. It just does not make sense to me.

08-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Don't forget, the State has crap benefits compared to the Feds. especially the medical insurance after retirement issue. FEds pay it, state doesn't.

As far as giving you a reason why i still work here, I don't have one. I can't go fed now though b/c I am past the max hiring age. Otherwise, I would have left a long time ago.

08-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Other things to consider....

The old fed retirement was great....the new one is not so great. Also, with the Feds you can count on a stint in one of their large areas...which suck!!!! I like the fact I get to stay in Florida, where I am from, and make decent money. The state of Florida has a pretty decent retirement plan (FRS), and I hope one day that a health care plan will come into play before I retire (wishful thinking at best!!!) so I can avoid the VA :? We also have DROP plan where you can walk away with around 300K+ if all goes right.

The agency is great but is starting to show the strains as the other SLEOs due to budgets issues. A lot of Agents are here because by the time they got to FDLE they had years in the FRS and families and they did not want to have to move or start over in another retirement system....atleast that is one of my reasons.

I have been smart with my money and when I leave, I will not have care in the world. I will be 54 with 25 years plus 5 in DROP. I should have 15+ years of good health (fingers crossed) to hunt, fish, and play!!!!!

08-31-2008, 06:41 PM
FDLE Agents are underpaid and often get screwed on OT. On the otherhand you do not need to take a collection for Agents. Many agents who have been here a while make more than most city officers and deputies (depending on location). There needs to be a step plan or a decent retention plan in place that is not contigent on the legislature approving it every year. This is the major flaw in the system where in a city or SO a contract may be 3 years and must be honored. State LEO's need to go up against the bs every year and this needs to change somehow. FDLE is a good place to work with good people. I do not regret coming here from my previous agency. Hopefully we as a whole meaning all State LEO's can try to rectify this situation and be paid accordingly.

09-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Well, Let's see. I left a job that was paying more. I walk around nervous all day at work b/c I may be losing my job from layoffs. I feel like I am in the dark as far as what is going to happen b/c management has not said crap in 3 weeks. My supervisor told me I should probably start looking for other opportunities. 99% of people in this state do not know what FDLE is b/c the name is idiotic. My vehicle is probably going to get "parked." I have been told that I can not work overtime. The medical insurance is much more expensive than the county. I'm sorry I can't answer your question

09-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Go back where you came from if it's so bad here.

09-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Believe me, the wheels are turning

09-01-2008, 02:45 PM
You don't have it so bad at FDLE, interesting work if you want it , decent pay, but all kinds of program initiatives with no substance behind them for much better pay than many state and locals. FDLE enjoys much prestige, some because of hard working agents who actually make their own cases, and some who coattail on others. Your ageny needs to focus on actually fighting crime with solid investigative and analytical support. You should get out of the domestic security stuff and leave it to the FED's except for a small Florida part. I admire what has been done at your agency for the most part, you have many good people and can recruit well because of your pay. As a SLEO, we see and do much for little and some agencies have to scrap for everything they get. From our perspective, your agency has been handed a lot of money and benefits because of your statutory authority more than anything else. You have a fine agency and this is not to be critical, just an observation through a different lens.

Be safe

09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
State probably wouldn't miss a beat if FDLE was terminated.

09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I disagree with your post about the state not missing a beat without FDLE, and I'm sure that your purpose was to provoke an emotional response. FDLE is the only state agency that investigates drug trafficking, violent crime, computer crime, police shootings and public corruption cases etc. FDLE formed the Child Abduction Response Teams, which have proven critical in several recent child abductions. FDLE is the only state agency with the capability to conduct wire intercepts, and a host of other technical capabilities {that I wont mention due to this being a public board} that only a select few, large, local agencies have in the state of Florida. This means that any agency in the state no matter how small can count on FDLE to provide this capability when they have a case that requires it.

FDLE is responsible for the state's domestic security response, and coordinating LE resources in mutual aid situations. FDLE is the only state agency with active tactical teams serving numerous search warrants on drug and violent fugitive cases, and is responsible for protecting the Governor and Capital. FDLE has the capability to focus coordinated statewide resources requiring an investigative response on crime problems that affect the entire state, ie.statutory authority for domestic security after 9/11 attacks.

Simply giving statewide authority to local agencies would not solve this, and you would have 200 agencies running around the state with a lack of coordination. I think one of our problems is not focusing on these basics, and always trying to reinvent the wheel or create a new niche. There are many fine state LE agencies with specific missions that we simply don't need to try and duplicate, ie Insurance and Medicaid Fraud. FHP and FWC etc does a great job of the patrol functions of the state. We have a specific role to fill, and that is working hand in hand with other agencies in investigating serious crime. I dont think that the state leaders would be willing to give that capability up, but I do think that they could do better in providing for this function with funding and salary progression. I don't feel or act like FDLE is perfect, more important than any other agency or the only game in town, but I am proud to be a State law enforcement officer with FDLE and think we have a critical function.

09-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Wait, you say that FDLE is the reason all of us other LEO's are in existence?. Grow up rookie, I think your a decent agency, but quite franly most of the programs you listed do not do anything. Most locals have far more experienced investigators, and your seasoned agents would agree with that, especially in homicide and dope. As far as corruption, most of your cases are low level. The FED's occasionally let you tag along on some larger ones. You have many great people working at DLE, but face it newbie, we could and would go on without you. Remember who started your agency (Sheriffs Bureau) and you were regulatory. As a SLEO, I have a lot of respect for many of your people especially the ones that came from police agencies before they were cloned. A politician (Moore) built up the agency, but it is cops who make it succeed.

09-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Well, Let's see. I left a job that was paying more. I walk around nervous all day at work b/c I may be losing my job from layoffs. I feel like I am in the dark as far as what is going to happen b/c management has not said crap in 3 weeks. My supervisor told me I should probably start looking for other opportunities. 99% of people in this state do not know what FDLE is b/c the name is idiotic. My vehicle is probably going to get "parked." I have been told that I can not work overtime. The medical insurance is much more expensive than the county. I'm sorry I can't answer your question

I'm in the same boat as you... It stinks because the more time that passes between now and being laid off, the more difficult it will be getting my old job back (i.e. having to go through FTO again, starting over in pay, getting a crap assignment...). I'm seriously thinking about leaving on my own terms as opposed to waiting until next session.

09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
To the local/county cop - FDLE is my 4th agency, 2nd state with 30+ years. Yeah, the locals have great homicide/dope guys. So do we - we hired yours. We have a large group of people that are highly credentialled, experienced and motivated that survived a tough vetting process. We want to be here and bring a polished style of handling major cases.

I used to be a boss in a local agency. We did not have the time or resources to do major, long term multi jurisdictional cases. Most of my current major cases take years to complete, involve sophisticated and organized groups of criminals that commit crimes that tally loss totals in the tens of millions. That sort of focus is beyond local LE who handle more "lunchhbox" issues. That's not a slam, a rape is a terrible crime and needs to be immediately addressed. There's just no way a local detective will be able to call in, (at a moment's notice), a team of non-LE professionals to assist, a statewide program to advertise info regarding an abducted child. Yeah, you know your neighborhood and the bad guys, but we can get info out on your case out on many media, statewide.

We're kind of the same, yet kind of different. As for the comparison to the feds, at least here in SoFla it's valid. I've been recruited by senior fed prosecutors to work with them because I've been told that the FDLE gets it done; when they send in agents things happen.

We complement each other. My agency is not set up to do your job, nor is yours able to do mine.

Stay safe, brother.

09-03-2008, 02:30 AM
When I made it to the FDLE, I was a little disappointed to see that I spend 85% of my time entering data into a computer behind a desk… Today, however, I got real excited because we had a meeting in which we talked about the possibility of scheduling another meeting to discuss the possibility of having a meeting with the locals in order to see if we could assist them in a hands off role during a hands on law enforcement operation. My supervisors felt that such a meeting was a little risqué, but they wanted to approach the notion of having such a meeting with a progressive outlook.

09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Isn't AIMS the greatest!!! :devil:

What DA came up with this anyway??

09-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Wait, you say that FDLE is the reason all of us other LEO's are in existence?. Grow up rookie, I think your a decent agency, but quite franly most of the programs you listed do not do anything. Most locals have far more experienced investigators, and your seasoned agents would agree with that, especially in homicide and dope. As far as corruption, most of your cases are low level. The FED's occasionally let you tag along on some larger ones. You have many great people working at DLE, but face it newbie, we could and would go on without you. Remember who started your agency (Sheriffs Bureau) and you were regulatory. As a SLEO, I have a lot of respect for many of your people especially the ones that came from police agencies before they were cloned. A politician (Moore) built up the agency, but it is cops who make it succeed.

Another "SO's are the only law enforcement we need" post. Ususall confined to the FHP board, it has drifted into other SLEA boards, deningrating the job SLEA's perform and blindly asserting that Sheriff can handle every type of law enforcement situaiton. That being said,I don't think anyone doubts the abilities of PBSO, Broward, Miami-Dade, Hillsborough, Orange and other large, metropolitan agencies. However, there are 67 counties, and I highly doubt the Calhoun County, Lafayette County or similar agencies could handle the types and volumes of calls answered and worked by SLEA. As a recent example: Who did Clewiston Police and Hendry County call in to work the double-homicide there? FDLE.
FDLE provides a vital service to the state, as do the other agencies (i.e. FHP) It is shameful that our legislature has allowed these agencies to be gutted budget-wise. Its ironic that the legislature won't protect the very same professionals who protect them. But, that's what law enforcement is a profession and not a job-we'll continue to do our best at whatever type of law enforcement we specialize in.

09-04-2008, 02:30 PM

Same DA who has to put a little annoying dancing devil in every comment. Grow up

09-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Call 1-800- WHAAAAAAA boo hoo! If you are SO unhappy in your job, LEAVE!! There are plenty of competent people who can easily replace your whinny little butt!!

09-05-2008, 12:48 PM

Same DA who has to put a little annoying dancing devil in every comment. Grow up

Listen, how about you get that corn cob out of your ARSE and loosen up a little bit DH! Can't see a little humor in this?? Oh wait you must be one of those who actually loves AIMS...never mind then, explains the corn cob!

09-06-2008, 02:30 AM
One of my fellow agents has been messing with me lately by misplacing stuff on my desk. I initially ignored it, but the gloves came off when he put an open can of tuna under my desk. After about 4 days I knew something was wrong. The rotten tuna odor got so strong that I was pretty much able to locate it by way of smell. I knew that I had to do something to my coworker that would send a message... When he went out to conduct an interview one day, I knew I had to act then. I took his trash can from his cubicle and brought it into the men's room. I went into the stall with it and took a huge massive crap in it. It was awesome! This crap was absolutely heinous - it was approximately 85% fecal matter, 10% blood and 5% undigested corn kernels. After I was done, I took the crap filled trash can back to his cubicle and placed it next to his desk. Unfortunately, after about 10 minutes it started to stink up the whole office. I knew I had to conceal the smell long enough to avoid suspicion. I figured my coworker would be back within an hour, so I came up with a temporary solution. I used his raid jacket to seal the top of the trash can. When I knew he was about 5 minutes out, I removed his jacket from the trash can. I thought I was good to go, but to my dismay, I noticed that one of the bloody undigested corn kernels was attached to the jacket. I tried shaking the jacket, but the corn kernel was too stubborn to let go. I then used his mount blanc pen to pry the kernel away from his jacket (I think it flew under his desk). When he got back, he complained about the smell, but had no idea where it was coming from. Eventually, he found my landmine in his trash can. He knew it was me, but he thought I took dog crap and mixed it with red ink and corn… Little does he know that the contents of his trash can were the contents of the last six inches of my large intestine! I know this isn't a relevant post but I just had to share my revenge story with yall.

flasam
09-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Dude, you need help.

09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I would have kicked your ass you are one sick *******

09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
I would have kicked your ass you are one sick *** VIRUS ALERT ***

Please don't tell me you think he is serious (or an actual agent) for that matter. Its obviously some 15 year old kid or some recently released inmate who stumbled on this site.

09-06-2008, 10:41 PM
[quote="Guest"]One of my fellow agents has been messing with me lately by misplacing stuff on my desk. I initially ignored it, but the gloves came off when he put an open can of tuna under my desk. After about 4 days I knew something was wrong. The rotten tuna odor got so strong that I was pretty much able to locate it by way of smell. I knew that I had to do something to my coworker that would send a message... When he went out to conduct an interview one day, I knew I had to act then. I took his trash can from his cubicle and brought it into the men's room. I went into the stall with it and took a huge massive crap in it. It was awesome! This crap was absolutely heinous - it was approximately 85% fecal matter, 10% blood and 5% undigested corn kernels. After I was done, I took the crap filled trash can back to his cubicle and placed it next to his desk. Unfortunately, after about 10 minutes it started to stink up the whole office. I knew I had to conceal the smell long enough to avoid suspicion. I figured my coworker would be back within an hour, so I came up with a temporary solution. I used his raid jacket to seal the top of the trash can. When I knew he was about 5 minutes out, I removed his jacket from the trash can. I thought I was good to go, but to my dismay, I noticed that one of the bloody undigested corn kernels was attached to the jacket. I tried shaking the jacket, but the corn kernel was too stubborn to let go. I then used his mount blanc pen to pry the kernel away from his jacket (I think it flew under his desk). When he got back, he complained about the smell, but had no idea where it was coming from. Eventually, he found my landmine in his trash can. He knew it was me, but he thought I took dog crap and mixed it with red ink and corn… Little does he know that the contents of his trash can were the contents of the last six inches of my large intestine! I know this isn't a relevant post but I just had to share my revenge story with yall.

Somewhat humorous, but the author's attempt to tell a story has several points that tend to indicate a work of "rookie" fiction.
1) A can of tuna (even store brand) would cost at least 89 cents. No way an agent is wasting that much money.
2) 10% blood would require hospitalization.
3) Mont Blanc left on an agent's desk? In a cubicle?? NO WAY.
4) This mythical agent left his raid jacket in the cube? Everyone knows the raid jacket is supposed to hang in the driver's side rear passenger window for maximum effect.
5) The red ink is an interesting twist. The only supply large enough to use as a mixer is in Tall. The possibility it would be unsecured is highly suspect.

09-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I would have kicked your ass you are one sick *** VIRUS ALERT ***

Please don't tell me you think he is serious (or an actual agent) for that matter. Its obviously some 15 year old kid or some recently released inmate who stumbled on this site.

You are SO right, no grown up would act that way! Children and inmates should stay off this site for sure.

09-07-2008, 06:41 PM
One of my fellow agents has been messing with me lately by misplacing stuff on my desk. I initially ignored it, but the gloves came off when he put an open can of tuna under my desk. After about 4 days I knew something was wrong. The rotten tuna odor got so strong that I was pretty much able to locate it by way of smell. I knew that I had to do something to my coworker that would send a message... When he went out to conduct an interview one day, I knew I had to act then. I took his trash can from his cubicle and brought it into the men's room. I went into the stall with it and took a huge massive crap in it. It was awesome! This crap was absolutely heinous - it was approximately 85% fecal matter, 10% blood and 5% undigested corn kernels. After I was done, I took the crap filled trash can back to his cubicle and placed it next to his desk. Unfortunately, after about 10 minutes it started to stink up the whole office. I knew I had to conceal the smell long enough to avoid suspicion. I figured my coworker would be back within an hour, so I came up with a temporary solution. I used his raid jacket to seal the top of the trash can. When I knew he was about 5 minutes out, I removed his jacket from the trash can. I thought I was good to go, but to my dismay, I noticed that one of the bloody undigested corn kernels was attached to the jacket. I tried shaking the jacket, but the corn kernel was too stubborn to let go. I then used his mount blanc pen to pry the kernel away from his jacket (I think it flew under his desk). When he got back, he complained about the smell, but had no idea where it was coming from. Eventually, he found my landmine in his trash can. He knew it was me, but he thought I took dog crap and mixed it with red ink and corn… Little does he know that the contents of his trash can were the contents of the last six inches of my large intestine! I know this isn't a relevant post but I just had to share my revenge story with yall.

Somewhat humorous, but the author's attempt to tell a story has several points that tend to indicate a work of "rookie" fiction.
1) A can of tuna (even store brand) would cost at least 89 cents. No way an agent is wasting that much money.
2) 10% blood would require hospitalization.
3) Mont Blanc left on an agent's desk? In a cubicle?? NO WAY.
4) This mythical agent left his raid jacket in the cube? Everyone knows the raid jacket is supposed to hang in the driver's side rear passenger window for maximum effect.
5) The red ink is an interesting twist. The only supply large enough to use as a mixer is in Tall. The possibility it would be unsecured is highly suspect.

LMAO - this is so true!! :lol:

09-08-2008, 10:08 AM
What has happened to my agency?

09-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Your agency, it's resented now because you were a politician not a cop TM, stay at Southern Strategies and keep hitting on us for more money.

09-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Your agency, it's resented now because you were a politician not a cop TM, stay at Southern Strategies and keep hitting on us for more money.

why do "cops" always think they are SO much better than everyone else? SOOOOOO tired of hearing it

09-12-2008, 02:18 AM

why do "cops" always think they are SO much better than everyone else? SOOOOOO tired of hearing it

Bad boys Bad boys what ya gonna do. I have a solution for you, stop reading cop blogs. Your problem is solved, bye bye!

A Cop

09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Bad boys Bad boys what ya gonna do. I have a solution for you, stop reading cop blogs. Your problem is solved, bye bye!

A Cop[/quote]

Thank you for singing to me, that was nice! :snicker:

09-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Doesn't this sound like one of our SEX OFFENDERS to you guys:)

why do "cops" always think they are SO much better than everyone else? SOOOOOO tired of hearing it[/quote]

09-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Don't know about you all, but this is one reason I'm still with FDLE. The following is the proposed salary step plan for agents:

Step 1 = $50,585.60 Step 7 = $69,436.20
Step 2 = $53,185.40 Step 8 = $73,823.80
Step 3 = $57,094.60 Step 9 = $77,327.60
Step 4 = $60,632.00 Step 10 = $80,245.30
Step 5 = $63,294.40 Step 11 = $83,917.20
Step 6 = $66,164.80

09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
When the below was true, Miami Vice was on top of the ratings and Ronald Reagan was in office!

Don't know about you all, but this is one reason I'm still with FDLE. The following is the proposed salary step plan for agents:

Step 6 = $66,164.80

09-16-2008, 09:22 PM

Step 6 = $66,164.80

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!! That was a good belly laugh......our starting isn't even that much right now....

10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Notice

Your identity has been established via your IP address. Shortly IA will be entering your cubicle with the announcement: "You're under arrest!"

02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I dunt no abowt tha rest of theese geyes butt I have to werk wit FDLE. If I had two be a weal cop id probbbly git hert!.

02-23-2009, 06:53 PM
You’re an idiot but at least you’re funny

I dunt no abowt tha rest of theese geyes butt I have to werk wit FDLE. If I had two be a weal cop id probbbly git hert!.