PDA

View Full Version : 12 hour shifts?

08-25-2008, 10:11 PM
3rh8niwhen the buyouts all go through are we going to have to go to 12 hour shifts to cover for the loss of manpower, or will they just eliminate some specialties and have those officer fill in amongst the patrol diviision, or will they hold off on promoting people so that patrol isnt effected and maintains the levels we need to operate as we do now?

08-26-2008, 02:10 AM
are we going to have to go to 12 hour shifts

Inquiries have been made at LCSO about the feasibility of their 12hour schedule, it's definitely a possibility.

08-27-2008, 03:03 AM
if you look at the patrol division in the aspect of the people currently working the road, the road meaning actual patrol shifts, already taking out the one who left, we have 64 people. once all of the people in FTO are realeased and on the road (GRANTING THEY ALL PASS) we will have a grand total of 68. 68 people. if you take that 68 and divide it by 4, which is the 4 shifts we would have if we did 12 hours, you would have 16 people per shift. thats two per ward and 4 citywide units, but as we all know your always going to have one or two on vacation, or training etc.

I really dont think its feasible or worthwhile to go to 12 hour shifts. you would be better off keeping the way it is and stacking bravo and alpha, and having charlie and delta in smaller numbers or re working it that way. it may even be worth it to do 3 10 hour shifts and eliminate one of the 4, adn re-work the hours.

Even with the buyouts not being finalized, at the most the patrol division consisting of the 68 people would only loose about 5. So that would put us back to the same number were at now, so if the 5 take it, there being replaced by the people in FTO which means are number stays the same.

What is going to hurt are the specialties and the detective division. The majority of the buy out is going to be brass, detectives, and specialities. I think what we need to do is look at NOT promoting and NOT filling in specialties. Maybe we can hold off on promoting and replacing everyone. Do we really need to replace all the capt's lt's and sgt's we have? Now would be the time to cut the fat. If you wrong, you can always promote down the line, but now would be the time to hold off.

As for specialties, these are the ones taking the buyout and these are also the people that would probably be in line to get promoted. But maybe we need to hold off on filling them as well. Having one CPC per ward for a few months might be ideal, or having af ew less detectives for a few months might be the way to go why we mass hire more patrol officers so that the patrol division isnt effected. I know everyone wants to get promoted and get their specialty spot, but we need to slow down evaluate and promote and replace selectively and not totally wipe out the patrol division.

12 hour shifts could be good but they could be bad. Honeslty you would probably have the same amount of people on the road either way you do it, A benefit to 12s if everyone that doesnt already have a take home can probably habe a SHARE car and take it home on their work days and only share with one person.

A down side could be more tiring, and we all hate being held over after 10s, imagine how much it will be unhappy staying over for court of being held over after 12 hours.

enough for now, OUT!

08-28-2008, 12:58 AM
No promotions? I agree we may not need so many brasses on the third floor, but you have to be realistic. When everyone retires who would that leave? The Chief and Major dumba**. We have to wait to see what happens to the chief, but until then, do you really want to give the Major that much authority? He is a waist of space and has done nothing for this agency, except for the fact that he has been a royal pain in the a** to everyone. The only thing the Major should be in charge of is Community Affair. But I'm pretty sure he will mess that up too. I would like to see this agency start the new year with a new admin crew! :D

I say go with the 12 hour shift.

08-28-2008, 02:51 AM
so im assuming this is how it would work. I personally hope they make every attempt to keep it the way it is, but i guess we cant complain since every agency around us does it this way.

M TU WE TH FRI SA SUN- WEEK 1
W W O O W W W

M TU WE TH FRI SA SU- WEEK 2
O O W W O O O

08-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Guys and Gals this is nothing new....the Cape and LCSO have been working 12 hour shifts forever. Yes they are long hours, I understand that, but the benefit to working 12 hours shifts is that you get every other weekend off. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty good to me, especially during football season!!! I also don't think it's a question of "what if" we go to 12 hour shifts, but a question of "when"? I project that it will happen very quickly as did the buyout. It is inevitable.

Also, someone mentioned something about not filling the vacant detective spots that are going to be open. Let me break it down for you: After the buyout, the only detectives left in VCU are Sellers and Medico. Medico will most likely get promoted to Sergeant, so that leaves Sellers in VCU. Then in property you have Keen, Eppler, Steinman, Langton, Gonzales, Doyle, Olin and Thomas. Each Ward requires at least one Detective in property, Ward 6 has two detectives due to its size and amount of crimes. Then you have one detective dedicated to working UCR Crimes and one detective dedicated to working Fraud cases. So there's eight right there in property...but now you have to replenish VCU now with at least four more detectives making VCU five strong for now. Now your leaving property with only four detectives. You might say, "Well that's enough detectives to work property". That's like saying, "You can handle the road anytime day or night with only four officers". Yes you can, on Sunday mornings from 7a to 12 p!!!.

And as far as trimming the brass, I agree we are a tad bit top heavy right now, but it would be imprudent for me to say we would be alright with a skeleton crew admin. The whole reason for the buyout in the first place is to replace high dollar people with people who can do the same job for less money; thus, saving tax payers money.

12 on 12 off...it's better than five-8's trust me....

08-29-2008, 04:26 AM
All 12 hour shifts mean is that the love boat captian will have two xtra hours to chase hanna montana and rookie tail around. how about those apples BUDDY !!!!!

08-30-2008, 07:48 PM
The benefits of the 12 hour shift
(know the facts before you're against it), You have to be willing to try new things and not just say no to everything, change is good, this mentality of "We've always done it this way, has to stop, keep an open mind and keep your options open

Every other weekend off and not having to wait an entire month to have weekends off(Friday, Saturday, and Sunday OFF

The most you work is 3 days in the row

Easier to get days off and vacation approved (more people on the shift)

Not being held over after your shift

And of course....bigger squad parties...that means more Beer....lolll