PDA

View Full Version : Fake Stop / Move Over or get jammed

08-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Cops issue 200 ‘Move Over Law’ tickets during latest sting
By THOMAS MICHALSKI

Article published on Thursday, Aug. 21, 2008

Dorene Thomas

PINELLAS PARK – City police issued 200 summonses Aug. 13 during a special operations sting to make motorists aware of the state’s so-called “Move Over Law.”

But some city officials, including at last one councilman who was stopped for violating the law, were not happy. They felt that justice could have been served better by simply issuing warnings instead of $111 tickets that also add three points to a driver’s license.

“The law was passed in 2002 and people are ignoring it,” Police Chief Dorene Thomas said. “About 700 emergency service people last year were injured by careless motorists.”

Just recently city Officer Scott Martin was critically injured when he was struck by a car while directing traffic. He remains on medical leave after suffering extensive injuries.

Thomas said the recent sting against “Move Over Law” violators had nothing to do with Martin’s incident.

Thomas said city police set up a faux traffic stop in the 9000 block of 49th Street involving a marked police car and a civilian vehicle.

Officers stopped drivers who did not slow down or move to the next lane of traffic to give wider berth to the cruiser.

Capt. Michael Haworth, patrol commander, said in a letter to Michael Gustafson, city manager, that the law requires drivers to move over into another lane of traffic or to slow down to 20 mph below the posted speed limit or to 5 mph when the speed limit is 20 mph or less.

The Florida Highway Patrol, meanwhile, said police, fire and other emergency workers are still being struck and either severely injured or killed by motorists who ignore the law.

Many police agencies have posted billboards and distributed brochures to drivers.

“Compliance with Florida’s Move Over Law is critical for the safety of law enforcement officers and other emergency personnel,” Col. John Czernis, FHP director, said.

Pinellas Park’s Sgt. Tracey Schofield, who heads the special operations unit, said the recent sting was part of a series of enforcement campaigns that target speeders, red light runners, impaired drivers and other violators.

In addition to the 200 “Move Over Law” violations, the team wrote two speeding tickets, 33 for not wearing seatbelts and 17 other tickets. Two arrests also were made.
Article published on Thursday, Aug. 21, 2008
Copyright © Tampa Bay Newspapers: All rights reserved.

08-31-2008, 02:24 PM
I have never understood this law. People don't run into the police on purpose; they do so because they never see the police car sitting on the side of the road in the first place. If they see the flashing lights, there is no need for them to slow down or move over because they're not going to hit something they can clearly see and avoid. It's the ones who don't see the lights that we have to worry about; and what difference does this law make if they don't see the lights in the first place?

And don't tell me that this law (and the enforcement of it) increases the awareness of drivers. It does nothing (obviously, since nothing has changed). Do you seriously believe people are going to become more likely to look out for police cars because they could be fined for not moving over or slowing down? I think the consequences of hitting an officer and seriously injuring or killing him or her would be much greater than a simple fine. If that has not been a deterrent, then a fine serves no purpose other than to raise money for the government.

08-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Who ever you are you, you make no sense what so ever. Not to mention your a complete idiot and obviously dont have any respect for law enforcemnt or other emergency personnel who work out on the road. I sure hope i find out who you are and have the opportunity to be called when you need some help from law enforcement. WHAT A JERK!!!

08-31-2008, 08:14 PM
So when firefighters and paramedics need to get people off the road to save there life it's o.k with you to drive by and smack these guys,i just hope that your family isn't the one .You need to stay off this web site you selfish ,worthless,Bas*****

09-01-2008, 06:45 PM
So when firefighters and paramedics need to get people off the road to save there life it's o.k with you to drive by and smack these guys,i just hope that your family isn't the one .You need to stay off this web site you selfish ,worthless,Bas*****

You, as well as the poster above you, obviously have limited skills when it comes to reading and writing. With that in mind, I will try to make this as simple as possible:

If a driver does not see the emergency vehicle on the side of the road, he is obviously not going to slow down or move over. Right? Logical? Yes. Now, if the driver DOES see the emergency vehicle on the side of the road, he is not going to run into it unless he does so on purpose, in which case he was much more of a threat anyway.

So whom, exactly, does this law keep from hitting emergency workers on the side of the road? The answer: nobody. It does nothing except to make people feel good about the legislators who voted for it.

09-02-2008, 12:39 AM
"I don't care if you see me or not, give me the respect of not blowing my doors off simply because you can see me..."

Was this supposed to make sense?