PDA

View Full Version : GOV

08-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Glad to see the gov wearing an FWC fishing shirt again during an EOC briefing in Tally and Naples! But, still nothing for our pay retention schedules.......blah blah blah.....

08-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Thats all right did you see him in Fl. Sportsman holding a fish....wearing an FWC shirt?

08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Looked like a 32 inch redfish

08-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Did you see him give us a pay raise?

08-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Why no talk of raises? Because the politicians in Tallahassee don't really care about state law enforcement units. What they primarily care about is cutting taxes and giving money back to big businesses, businesses that donate money to political parties and campaigns. The poiticians figured out long ago that it is cheaper to have a set base salary for SLEO's. Its been nearly 20 years since they eliminated the step pay plan. Bringing it back would encourage officers to stay longer and thus would cost the taxpayers more money in salaries, benefits and retirements. It is better for them if officers come in, work a few years then move on.

All they want to do want to pay for an image. For most people, perception equals reality. They can create the perception of a quality agency by hiring good looking young officers, putting them in shiny cars, trucks and boats, and getting them on TV once in a while. Purchasing cars, trucks, boats, computers, hats, and what not, not only gives the public the image that law makers want, it sends a lot of money back to big business. It doesn't matter to the poloticians if the officer in the car, truck or boat has been there twenty minutes or twenty years. They don't care if you go out and crush the cases and make awsome arrests or if you do nothing but drive around and "wave the flag", as long as you are in the public eye.

I spent 13 years with FWC. It took me a long time to come to these conclusions. Now, when I should be in the prime of my career, getting promoted, becoming a leader, I am starting over. Leaving, though, was one of the best decisions I've made. My salary has nearly doubled since I left. I can sleep at night knowing my bills will get paid, and my kids will be able to college. If I continue to work after I retire, it will be because I want to, not because I have to. Instead of working 208's, I spend time with my wife and kids. The nextel phone that used to beep around the clock is long gone.

My advice? Take stock of you situation and think about your goals. DON'T PLAN ON GETTING ANY SIGNIFICANT RAISES BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT COMING. If you're going to leave, don't wait as long as I did. Do the job to because it’s important and because you want to, not for the agency. Don’t love the agency you work for, because the agency does not love you. Even the best officer can be replaced by a rookie. When I left, I did not get a phone call, let alone a handshake, from my captain (Stermen) or major (Norton), not a thank-you or a good luck, nothing.