PDA

View Full Version : City Manager with Stones

08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Payroll Dispute Leads To Turmoil Among Zephyrhills Police

By CHRISTIAN M. WADE and JEFF SCULLIN

The Tampa Tribune

Published: August 19, 2008

ZEPHYRHILLS - Police Chief Russell Barnes, one of two men at the center of an investigation of payroll discrepancies in the city's police department, is expected to be fired by the city council today.

City Manager Steve Spina is recommending the city council fire Barnes, 55, when they meet in a special session today. Spina put Barnes on unpaid leave and asked for his resignation Monday. Barnes, who has been on paid leave since July 29, didn't immediately respond.

Under the city's charter, only the council can fire a police chief.

A three-week investigation, unveiled Monday, concluded that Barnes falsified payroll records for Sgt. Robert Perrault Jr., the department's former spokesman and head of internal affairs.

"I just found that the trust in him was eroded," Spina said Monday in an interview. "I didn't think after this we could bridge that, come back from that."

In a written response to the investigation, Barnes' attorney, Ryan D. Barack, said Barnes didn't benefit from what he described as a "relatively minor bookkeeping issue."

Spina said he expects the council to fire Barnes. If so, his termination likely would take effect immediately.

A complaint was filed in August 2007 against Perrault, alleging that he was "double-dipping" - claiming to have worked for the city when he actually was teaching criminal justice classes at Pasco-Hernando Community College.

Barnes investigated the complaint and concluded it was unfounded.

Zephyrhills officials launched their own investigation after Kenneth Fong, who was fired by Barnes, filed a complaint July 29, alleging that Perrault and the chief had falsified time sheets and other records.

According to the city's investigation, conducted by Sgt. Jeffrey McDougal, Barnes didn't adequately investigate the complaint. Instead, Barnes created a log documenting so-called "flex time" Perrault used to justify the hours when he was on the clock for both the city and college.

"It is apparent that the flex time log was created and falsified after the allegations first surfaced and the numbers on the flex time log are unreliable," McDougal wrote.

Typically, flex time, a common practice in many companies, allows employees to adjust their shifts around personal appointments or job responsibilities that fall outside their normal working hours. At the Zephyrhills Police Department, Barnes and Perrault had an unofficial arrangement allowing Perrault to bank accumulated hours. But the city has no such policy on its books, and Spina said Perrault was the only employee in the police department allowed to bank the so-called flex hours. According to city records, he had racked up more than 140 hours at one point.

"We really don't have flex time, and that's why some of it was suspect," Spina said.

McDougal wrote in his report that there is "no way to determine if Perrault is guilty of theft or falsification of time sheets" but that he did violate the city's payroll policy.

"He very well may have worked the number of hours he personally claimed," McDougal wrote. "Yet, there is no way to corroborate that but to accept his word that he did."

In part, that's because the city does not retain logs of hours worked past 14 days, according to the report.

Perrault, 35, resigned Aug. 8.

In his resignation letter, Perrault denied any wrongdoing and said his decision to leave the city after nine years was not related to the investigation. He has been offered a job teaching criminal justice at Zephyrhills High School.

Perrault claims that the use of flex time is widespread in the police department as a means to reduce overhead costs.

"The use of 'flex' time has been documented by the city's payroll department to be widely used at the agency," he wrote in an e-mail Saturday. "It is a fact that is well known and widely accepted as policy."

Perrault's resignation effectively leaves the city with no means or need to discipline him.

Monday, Spina said the investigation into the payroll problems at the police department is over and that city officials don't believe double-dipping is an issue with other officers. The only complaint lodged was against Barnes and Perrault.

Perrault, who was hired in 1999, did not receive any significant admonishments while with the department.

But Barnes, who came in as chief in November 2003, has come under fire for violating city policies, buying 34 Tasers and four police vehicles prior to council approval, and playing "Asteroids" and other video games on his office computer.

The chief's December performance evaluation was satisfactory.

Reporter Christian M. Wade can be reached at (813) 948-4216 or cwade@tampatrib.com. Editor Jeff Scullin can be reached at jscullin@tampatrib.com or (813) 779-4614.

This is a molehill compared to the mountains of shennanigans the COP and the 3 Stooges under him partake in. Getting the boot for a payroll discrepency. KUDOS to the city manager for sacking up and doing what needed to be done. Hopefully someone will direct Doug Thomas to this article and he can get some pointers. It is highly doubtfull though seeing that the hometown Ledger has recently run some articles showing how inept the COP is and nothing has happened.

08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Zephyrhills Police Chief Resigns, Refutes Probe Findings

By CHRISTIAN M. WADE | The Tampa Tribune

Published: August 19, 2008

ZEPHYRHILLS - Police Chief Russell Barnes resigned this morning, effective immediately.

In a letter to City Manager Steve Spina, Barnes denied he had falsified records for Sgt. Robert Perrault Jr., the department's former spokesman and head of internal affairs, or attempted to cover up payroll discrepancies in the department. A city investigation released Monday concluded he had.

"My resignation is not intended, nor should it be taken, as an admission of any kind to the allegations," he wrote.

Barnes, 55, was put on paid leave July 29 after a complaint was filed against him and Perrault by a former officer.

Spina asked for Barnes' resignation Monday, but the chief didn't immediately respond. Under the city's charter, only the city council can fire the police chief.

Less than an hour before an emergency meeting at noon today, Barnes submitted his resignation.

Council members did not discuss the findings of the investigation.

Council President Luis Lopez, who is dealing with a family emergency and couldn't attend today's meeting, said he wants to turn over the findings of the city's investigation to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for review.

"This is a case of blatant fraud," Lopez said in a phone interview. "He cannot claim it was an accident. I'm not only in favor of dismissal, but also pursuing possible charges."

Lopez, who supported firing Barnes, said he believes the investigation is far from over.

"We need to conduct a top-down review of the entire police department," he said. "We can't let this continue."

Officials in this east Pasco County city launched its investigation after former officer Kenneth Fong, who was fired by Barnes, filed a complaint alleging that Perrault and the chief had falsified time sheets and other records.

Perrault, who resigned Aug. 8, was accused of "double dipping" - claiming to have worked for the city when he was actually teaching criminal justice classes at Pasco-Hernando Community College.

A similar complaint was filed in August 2007. Barnes investigated the complaint and concluded it was unfounded.

According to the city's investigation, conducted by Sgt. Jeffrey McDougal, Barnes didn't adequately investigate the complaint. Instead, Barnes created a log documenting so-called "flex time" Perrault used to justify the hours when he was on the clock for both the city and college.

But the city has no such policy on its books, and Spina said Perrault was the only employee in the police department allowed to bank the so-called flex hours. According to records, he had racked up more than 140 hours at one point.

In his resignation letter, Perrault denied any wrongdoing and said his decision to leave the city after nine years was not related to the investigation. He has been offered a job teaching criminal justice at Zephyrhills High School.

Perrault claims that the use of flex time is widespread in the police department as a means to reduce overhead costs.

His resignation effectively leaves the city with no means or need to discipline him.

Capt. David Shears will continue to serve as acting police chief. Spina said Monday he wants to address morale issues in the department before beginning the search for a new chief.

Reporter Christian M. Wade can be reached at (813) 948-4216 or cwade@tampatrib.com.

How about that, a pro active city government that doesn't take everything the chief says at face value. They are not satisied with his resignation, they also want FDLE to investigate. Please send them to Lakeland when they are done over there. :devil:

08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
o.m.g.! they could clean house here with the same effort. let us know when they are coming. we could find a ''few!'' lol with stories to tell. but, wake up it will never happen here with our, ''teflon third.''

08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
o.m.g.! they could clean house here with the same effort. let us know when they are coming. we could find a ''few!'' lol with stories to tell. but, wake up it will never happen here with our, ''teflon third.''

It could if the right people started asking questions. For instance, the city commissioners that the PBA has endorsed. Don't hold your breath but things could get very interesting soon. Rumor has it that the COP is going to go against the unanimous recommedations to terminate two people and give them a lesser punishment.

08-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Who who?

LpDBlue
08-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Lets see two people who should be fired start with high rank 40 Hrs on the porch. Next demotion two days off with pay to get her sgt stuff together,"Yea two days to find three shirts and her car". Guess she won't be on the radio talking this time running her mouth.

joisfiona
08-21-2008, 01:07 AM
So here is the fifty thousand dollar question..........everyone knows that the last person promoted to Sergeant goes to the bottom of the barrel.......so.......does that mean that when an individual is demoted that person goes to the bottom of the senority list? Does it not go by date of rank? Or does the person maintain their senority status.......seems to me they should go back to the beginning and midnights........but somehow I don't believe that will happen in this case. Go figure.

08-21-2008, 02:01 AM
this place is unreal, violate policy that demands that you be terminated, don't do that again you may get in trouble. do thing's that border criminal [ being nice, why?] same result. depending one who you are or kiss up too. get hurt, your fired, gone, goodbye. that is unless you push 3 on the elevator. when is it going to stop? we losts friend's and good officer's. it is sad that this is continued here when everyone else, see's nothing.

08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Isn’t there another active IA the same demoted individual is involved in? Something about a pursuit that she said she was not a part of. More deception to the Chain of Command and Internal Affairs.

Lonewolf1
08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Don't forget this; The department is required to report the findings of the IA to the Florida Standards and Training Commission. They will review the IA and make a determination on whether or not their certifications will be put on probation, suspended or revoked.

Anyone can contact them and report this incident anonymously, even private citizens in case for some mysterious reason the agency does not report it.
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/CJST/Commission/index.html

08-22-2008, 02:02 AM
All of her IA's were lumped together. So now she is free and clear of any investigations. What's worse, she is grieving the outcome. She was also given 1 or 2 days off, with pay, so she could get her affairs in order. Then they waited to switch her vehicle out until the weekend so it would draw less attention. Rumor has it that LePere is highly upset at the outcome too. He recommended termination for both.

These two committed numerous felonies. Don't we arrest people for that? They are not Arley Smith, shouldn’t they be tried at least? She lied in her IA. Will she be allowed to testify in court anymore?

08-22-2008, 04:49 AM
I am actually proud of Lepere making that determination and putting it on paper. I find myself rarely agreeing with him and see him as a pencil pusher out of touch with the ground pounders, but at least even he knows where to draw the line. The chief left it up to CJSTC to do his dirty work. If they decertify one or both then he will obviously have to fire them but can blame it on CJSTC. Problem is he should have done the firing himself after the obvious crimes they committed. Both STOLE from US, their brothers and sisters in the whole detail scam. You tell me if you'd trust either one of these two sorry individuals ever again. I won't. Criminals with badges, both of them.

08-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey everybody needs to calm down about this and look at it from another perspective. I'm pretty sure we all can take other peoples prescription drugs, engage in extra marital affairs, lie in I.A. investigations, steal, and committ fraud all while on duty and not worry about being fired. Sounds like a party to me. Wonder if anything involving farm animals could get one of us fired. Job security is a beautiful thing don't you think.

Anyone not seeing the sarcasm in this post should feel free to apply for a job with us. You'll fit right in with the other idiots at this place.

08-24-2008, 02:48 PM
standby folks. the recent demotion has spurred an idea up top. the chief has asked for the next three on the list to be sent up to his desk. its just me wondering, but it appears that if you take one, you must give one back. look for the third person on the list to be promoted above the other "2".
why must we let the dust settle before promoting the next sgt? i wouldnt be so sure that the city doesnt einstate her to sgt.
the standards commision has been notified of the "violations" and dont hold your breath on some miracle. look at the recent findings, officers just arent getting fired for the same offenses they would have been fired for years ago. sex on duty- suspension. lying in court/depo- suspension.
i pray for each and every individual that has to work for and with these two common thugs.

stand strong... oh, did i say strong, or is that sgt. strong...later.

08-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I didn't write that. One of your fellow officers did. Besides, as you know, Jerry Hill had me banned from the Ledger. Apparently, there's an upcoming election and Hill is trying to keep me quiet. So I haven't been writing there either.

Why are you so upset with me? Because I know of a double homicide and you guys have done nothing about it because one of the killers is in law enforcement? You can threaten me, berate me, dis-credit me all you want but someday the truth will come out. I am an American citizen and there has to be some law enforcement agency out there willing to do the right thing.

Cleaning up the corruption in the LPD and the PCSO and the "good ole boy" system with the SAO will be the first step.

Again, we don't care about what you have to say. If you were "banned" from the Ledger, there's a reason that you were. Don't bring your propoganda here.