PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for enlightening me

08-17-2008, 01:15 AM
I must say, after reviewing some of the posts for Barstow PD by BPD officers, my faith in police work is revitalized. The pride you speak of in defining your officers' overall work ethic and desire to keep your agency operating as an independant organization is nothing short of amazing, at least in my perspective. You all should be proud of yourselves. I know I am & I don't know any of you personally (yet.) In the area where I currently work, all you frequently hear are the negative aspects of employment in law enforcement.

I've been job hunting for a while, primarily looking for a chief's or senior manager's position in a law enforcement agency. I recently saw your agency posted for a new chief & I was not sure I was going to submit my application but some of the comments on this site have sealed the deal for me. I'd be proud to work w/you folks & try to represent you as best as possible w/the skills, knowledge, experience and training I've gathered over my nearly 30 years in the profession. For obvious reasons, I won't identify myself here but I want to thank you for reaffirming my faith in that decision.

Here's hoping I get a chance to meet some of you folks on a more personal level.

08-17-2008, 01:59 PM
UMMMMMMMMMMMMm, Its BARTOW not barStow

FYI

08-17-2008, 05:19 PM
My apologies, no offense intended but truthfully, out of what I wrote, that's what you saw?

08-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I must say, after reviewing some of the posts for Barstow PD by BPD officers, my faith in police work is revitalized. The pride you speak of in defining your officers' overall work ethic and desire to keep your agency operating as an independant organization is nothing short of amazing, at least in my perspective. You all should be proud of yourselves. I know I am & I don't know any of you personally (yet.) In the area where I currently work, all you frequently hear are the negative aspects of employment in law enforcement.

I've been job hunting for a while, primarily looking for a chief's or senior manager's position in a law enforcement agency. I recently saw your agency posted for a new chief & I was not sure I was going to submit my application but some of the comments on this site have sealed the deal for me. I'd be proud to work w/you folks & try to represent you as best as possible w/the skills, knowledge, experience and training I've gathered over my nearly 30 years in the profession. For obvious reasons, I won't identify myself here but I want to thank you for reaffirming my faith in that decision.

Here's hoping I get a chance to meet some of you folks on a more personal level.

No, I read everyword and appreciate that way you speak of us. We are a proud orginization. You may or may not be the right fight here, only time will. What kind of experience, knowledge and skills do you bring to the table. I would be more than willing to review some qualifications.

08-18-2008, 01:05 AM
The pride that you and your fellow officers frequently speak of on this post is what convinced me to apply for the chief's position. I can honestly say, after reviewing some of the data on your community, that there are definite and serious challenges you all face daily yet none of you seem daunted. From what I can tell by your posts, most of you look forward to those same challenges and would be offended if your agency were to be incorporated by the sheriff's office. That kind of pride is pretty rare from my local perspective, where most of the samller agencies in my area would probably jump at the chance to be part of the sheriff's office, believing bigger is better. I, however, know differently. Just look at some of the issues the largest law enforcement agencies in America face- corruption on a large scale, unaccounted for personnel, no accountability to their agency or community. In my opinion, that's not leadership on any scale- that's just larger.

Regionalization of law enforcement is, unfortunately, something we all may face in the future, especially in light of today's tax environment. We face similar issues here in South Florida. The burden of operating an agency, especially a smaller one, and the costs involved, can strangle a community and its ever-tightening budget. The only way to prevent that is to have the community's support, as has been demonstrated by your citizens, and the only way to gain/maintain their support is by demonstrating your professionalism and commitment to them. Obviously, all of you are doing that. You SHOULD be proud of yourselves.

I do not say any of this to bash the local sheriff's office; I'm sure they do fine work but I also know how sheriff's office politics and shenanigans work. As a taxpayer residing in a smaller community in my county, I was strongly opposed to having our town's PD incorporated into the sheriff's office. I railed against it publicly, at town hall meetings and in the newspaper/on TV. In the end, I lost & the local PD was swallowed up by the sheriff's office. Not meaning to offend my brothers/sisters in green/white but the level of service dropped off dramatically from the very start, just as I predicted. Cost savings were minimal and none of the supposed benefits appeared. I warned our town commission that this was a paper scam but it all fell on deaf ears. Now have to live with it because it's cost-prohibitive to even think about starting your own agency once again; only the most well-to-do of communities can even consider it.

As for me, I am from a fairly large agency in Broward. I've been on the job almost 30 years and served primarily in an operational/patrol capacity but also in various administrative and investigative functions too, along with stints in both SWAT and training. I think it'd be fair to say "I've been there, done that." I worked my way up through the ranks- nobody ever gave me anything- but I attended a lot of pertinent training to develop my skill package and earned both a bachelor's and master's degree along the way. I've tried to expose myself to as many aspects of law enforcement & leadership as possible so that someday, I'd be ready for a challenge like the one offered in your agency. Even after nearly 30 years on the job, I don't think I'm done yet. I honestly believe I have a lot to offer an agency that is looking for an experienced, educated, ethical, capable leader.

My career in my current agency has, for the most part, been an excellent "adventure" & I'm very grateful for the experiences, friendships, training and education it has provided me, not to mention a lifestyle that has been pretty accomodating. But I also know when it's time to move on. My time here has been good but there are others waiting to take my role. I only hope that I trained them as well as I think I did so that they have as successful a career as I had, not to mention that they do right by the community too.

Now if only I can think/speak this clearly during the hiring process.....

08-18-2008, 01:21 AM
I do not say any of this to bash the local sheriff's office; I'm sure they do fine work but I also know how sheriff's office politics and shenanigans work. As a taxpayer residing in a smaller community in my county, I was strongly opposed to having our town's PD incorporated into the sheriff's office. I railed against it publicly, at town hall meetings and in the newspaper/on TV. In the end, I lost & the local PD was swallowed up by the sheriff's office. Not meaning to offend my brothers/sisters in green/white but the level of service dropped off dramatically from the very start, just as I predicted. Cost savings were minimal and none of the supposed benefits appeared. I warned our town commission that this was a paper scam but it all fell on deaf ears. Now have to live with it because it's cost-prohibitive to even think about starting your own agency once again; only the most well-to-do of communities can even consider it.

Yehe, that's a real ethical statement. Like there is not any politics and "shenanigans" in a local police department. Stay in Broward.

08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
My ethics have nothing to do w/my assessment of the policing & contractual situations that exist between local law enforcement control and/or county-wide control. My opinion is based on my educated observations of actual scenarios that have occurred w/in my county. In my opinion, law enforcement is best handled on a local level; in that scenario, law enforcement officers develop a much greater ownership and bond w/their respective communities than a county officer who can be assigned to one region one day and reassigned to another the next. That facet alone runs in direct opposition to the basic concepts of community oriented policing- LEO's know their community and vice-versa. From my readings of the posts by BPD officers, we are in strong agreement w/that.

Of course there will be a certain level of politics and shenanigans in local law enforcement too; there is in every occupation- office politics, favoritism/nepotism, unworthy promotions/raise/bonuses exist everywhere. But again, when you have an elected official, such as a sheriff, at the helm, especially when said official is not a career LEO, you can be guaranteed there will certainly be more politics, not less and unfortunately, I've seen that way too often. From the big picture perspective, and as the occupation of law enforcement attempts to become more professionalized and recognized for those same efforts, issues such as these must be minimized to achieve that goal.

08-19-2008, 01:16 AM
I appreciate you effort and your comments. Thank you for you time in letting us know where you stand

08-21-2008, 02:22 AM
chief's candidate - at least you get a taste of the mentality of some of the officers without having to burn any fuel!

08-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Im a nobody at the department just part of the worker bee's, but I would like to see Sgt. Wyant apply for the position. Everyone respects his work and he is the one to turn to if you have a criminal or policy question. I would, without hesitiation support him as our chief.

08-26-2008, 07:34 PM
"everyone respects his work" ? be careful speaking for "everyone"

08-26-2008, 11:53 PM
le
"everyone respects his work" ? be careful speaking for "everyone"

I'm sorry maybe I spoke prematurly, I should have said anyone with any since would support him. Ask around the P.D. you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that doesnt' except for maybe you, careful you jealousy is showing and we all know green is not our color.

Thats all, i won't support any bickering regarding this.

08-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Can we stop talking about wyant. I am sick of hearing about him. Plus if he became chief whose a** would he kiss, his own?

09-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Pudgaroo is a legend in his own mind. How's that T'nyia case coming along?

09-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Pudgaroo is a legend in his own mind. How's that T'nyia case coming along?

What does the t'nyia case have to do with pudge? He was just a detective when that case came out, and was not assigned the investigation. He wasn't the supervisor and wasn't the case assigned the case! Intelligent comment, try again.

09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
The fact is, Wyant is a decent Sergeant. He lacks the experience and backbone to be the Chief or any other high ranking official at the department. Everyone in DB as well as most officers with over 10 years of experience have a fairy good knowledge of the statutes. Pudge is a one of those that has to be loved by others. He goes out of his way to make everyone like him. Whether it is the FBI, FDLE, SAO, Tommy Ray, John Aguero, Adam Putnam or whoever, Pudge serves himself, no one else. How bout getting a decent education, not one where Putnam got ya in to prove you have at least a little heart to BE a chief one day. And stop already with the Ring, the business card, the shirts, the pictures, the crick already...the fact is, anyone can pass if they can get in.....And when your buddy gets you waived over others who have waited for years...wow, that shows who he really cAres about.

09-10-2008, 12:29 PM
[quote="Huh?":1o3s0nhn]Pudgaroo is a legend in his own mind. How's that T'nyia case coming along?

What does the t'nyia case have to do with pudge? He was just a detective when that case came out, and was not assigned the investigation. He wasn't the supervisor and wasn't the case assigned the case! Intelligent comment, try again.[/quote:1o3s0nhn]

My bad. Didn't he take a supervisory role over Detectives following the murder? Hmm.

09-10-2008, 05:48 PM
[quote="say again":1kpaslkb][quote="Huh?":1kpaslkb]Pudgaroo is a legend in his own mind. How's that T'nyia case coming along?

What does the t'nyia case have to do with pudge? He was just a detective when that case came out, and was not assigned the investigation. He wasn't the supervisor and wasn't the case assigned the case! Intelligent comment, try again.[/quote:1kpaslkb]

My bad. Didn't he take a supervisory role over Detectives following the murder? Hmm.[/quote:1kpaslkb]

What murder? the t'nayia case happened in 2001, Wyant wasn't made to be in charge of detectives until 2005,,,,thats four year! you are obviously crazy. But thanks for you time and your attempts to smear a good person. Im not saying wyant should be the chief, i don't think wyant even wants the job, I've asked and he told me no. So why must the people feed and attack when they obviously don't know what they're talking about. If you don't believe me, ask him, he doesn't want it and won't apply for it. All you have to do is ask!