PDA

View Full Version : Just like Hernandez-Hill protoge

08-11-2008, 02:19 PM
CRIME
Romance with suspect's wife lands cop in trouble
A detective has been suspended over his relationship with a woman whose husband he was investigating in a murder-for-hire case.
Posted on Sun, Aug. 10, 2008reprint print email
Yahoo! BuzzFacebook Digg del.icio.us AIM
BY DAVID OVALLE
dovalle@MiamiHerald.com
A North Miami Beach detective has been disciplined after he romanced a Russian woman who was married to a man he arrested in a murder-for-hire plot.

A three-week suspension was handed down this week after the police department finished a probe into Detective Edward Hill's relationship with Anna Gulevitskaya, estranged wife of defendant David Superville.

The detective arrested Superville last year for his alleged role in the 2001 slaying of electronics salesman James Duarte, believed assassinated on the order of a jealous Brazilian businessman.

Hill, who has dogged the case for years, did not forge his relationship with Gulevitskaya until several months after Superville's arrest, police said.

The drama began Aug. 13, 2001, when a barrage of bullets cut down Duarte as he left his office, 13899 Biscayne Blvd.

Detectives identified the suspected mastermind as Ivan Amaral, a Brazilian businessman who ran a Miami-Dade import-export business.

Police believe Amaral targeted Duarte because he had dated his former girlfriend, Sara Cabral. Duarte and Cabral met on Match.com.

Amaral paid his house painter, Superville, and a man named Mark McKay at least $32,000 to follow Duarte for about six weeks.

The two bought and used a blue Ford Taurus, painting it white. It was later found near the crime scene.

To avoid leaving an electronic trail, they used prepaid cellphones during the operation. Superville even bought a how-to book on being a ``private ****.''

A few days after they reported his comings and goings, police believe another Brazilian, Denilson Santos, shot Duarte with a long-barreled, .22 caliber pistol.

Hill said Superville admitted knowing harm would come to Duarte. Superville's defense attorney, Andrew Rier, denies that.

Superville, who is not accused of pulling the trigger or being at the scene, is charged with second-degree murder.

After the killing, Amaral -- who had previously beaten a murder rap in Brazil -- and Cabral quickly flew to their native country, boarding a plane with no luggage. Santos is believed to have returned, too.

Rier insists his client was just an amateur private eye who never knew Duarte would be killed.

Superville, 46, was arrested in May 2007. McKay was arrested, but the murder charge was dropped when he agreed to cooperate.

Superville calls Gulevitskaya a mail-order bride, a term commonly used for women who come here after arranging marriages to American citizens. Now, that is done mostly via the Internet.

Superville, who has a son from a previous marriage, met Gulevitskaya, 30, though AmericanSingles.com.

LOW-KEY WEDDING

They wed in Miami in August 2006 -- at the ''one-stop'' clerk of courts located in a Davie car dealership. ''Not such a memorable day,'' she later told investigators.

She said the marriage was immediately troubled. She claimed Superville ''acted inappropriately, crazy and violent'' -- even punching her when she refused to kiss him in public.

Superville denies that. He said: ``She's just saying that because she needs to prove domestic violence so she can stay in the country.''

After he was arrested, Superville ''felt his marriage had the potential of getting repaired once his criminal case was cleared up,'' according to an internal affairs report.

Superville, who had no previous criminal record, was jailed for 89 days before a judge released him on house arrest pending trial.

A hearing is set for Monday before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Rosa Rodriguez.

Rier predicts that the case will fall apart soon.

''Credibility of the detective is critical to this case as there is no physical evidence, DNA or eyewitness testimony,'' Rier said.

After Superville's release on bail, Gulevitskaya filed for a restraining order. However, in late February, Superville discovered romantic e-mails between Gulevitskaya and Hill.

He and Rier complained to internal affairs.

''It looks like he was more interested in getting his woman than getting his man,'' said Superville, a boisterous former U.S. Air Force mechanic.

Details of the romance emerged in court documents and a final police report.

Gulevitskaya initially called Hill after her husband's arrest because of financial and other difficulties.

Alone in the United States and feeling deceived by her husband, she told investigators, ''all you can trust is a person in uniform.'' She later called Hill her ``hero.''

In late 2007, Gulevitskaya began seeing Hill, breaking up with another boyfriend she had after Superville's arrest. She started an asphalt seal-coating business -- which she learned from Superville, who runs his own seal-coating company.

Hill, who said he believed Gulevitskaya had filed for divorce (she hadn't, then), began helping to arrange bids and referrals. He also lent her thousands of dollars to start the company, which was later paid back.

The pair, along with Gulevitskaya's daughter, traveled to the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas. Other trips included St. Augustine, Key West and Jacksonville.

Hill, 49, is a decorated detective who joined the department in 1988.

A brief member of the Dallas Cowboys practice squad, Hill is active with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and has numerous commendations.

Hill will be suspended for conduct unbecoming of an officer and failing to report outside employment. He will be placed on desk duty to work only his remaining cases before retiring in November.

`EMBARRASSED'

''He realizes he has to pay for his mistakes,'' said North Miami Beach Chief Raphael Hernandez Jr. ``He was remorseful, he was embarrassed about what happened and embarrassed about the negative attention he brought to his agency and his co-workers.''

Hill stressed he never talked to Gulevitskaya about Superville.

''I don't discuss anything about this case to her. She doesn't know anything,'' he said in a June deposition.

When rumors began circulating within the police department, Hill told internal affairs Sgt. Rick Silberman, he scaled back the romance.

They canceled a planned cruise. He also bought two tickets to accompany her to Russia but canceled his fare.

Gulevitskaya, who is in Russia now, is paying him back the cost of the flight. They remain friends.

08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
has hill ever done this before

08-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Blah Blah who cares if Det. Hill had a relationship at least it wasnt with his best friends wife which is usual here at NMB. I wish the news would report how our Chief of Police threatens to beat up their staff and then cant apologize when told to do so. This place is a joke and it starts at the top. Sorry Det. Hill for this crap you are a great guy and I will miss you. You brought no embarassment to this department in my eyes. This Chief has and will continue to bring tons of it.

08-12-2008, 08:30 PM
i've stayed quiet for a while but i knew the idiot would bring me back out sooner or later. i concur with who cares. chief you unequivicaly embarrass us and yourself. your a bumbling idiot. i'm embarrassed to have you as our chief. i'm for sure not embarrassed nor have i been "negatively" affected by anything eddie hill has done. speak for yourself chief. do your days in miami-dade homicide bring back any memories? talk about hypocracy. does the name mario escandar ring a bell? you have brought nothing but shame and embarrassment to our once proud agency. wanna fight? oh sorry i'm not a female you could have a field day with. :devil:

08-12-2008, 09:22 PM
At BSO he used to ask people to go outside and settle things. This man is unstable and is a time bomb about to explode. You all should get your union to do a VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE and it goes to the Commissioners and City Manager. If the majority vote "NO CONFIDENCE" he is in big trouble. demand the union do it. It works.

08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
THE VOTE FOR NO CONFIDENCE IN RALPH HERNANDEZ IS IN THE WORKS. SHAME ON YOU RALPH; YOU WANTED TO FIGHT WITH A WOMAN. :evil: :snicker:

08-12-2008, 10:51 PM
This place went from bad to worse. When LL was in charge, it was bad, but with this new chief, he's made things worse. We haven't received new cars in two years and half the fleet has nearly 100,000 miles. Our open positions have been froze and the last 5 people who have left through retirement or resignation haven't been replaced. Crime has gotten worse because we don't have the resources to handle it. CST and Traffic are again working the road and that doesn't do any good for our citizens. What the f$%k has happened to this place. The chief is assaulting female sergeants and refuses to apologize. Again, what the f%&k has happened to this place. RF Jr would never attempt that stunt with a male ofc or sgt cuz his punk card will be pulled. This is a scenario for not only a vote of no confidence but also allowing the county to take us over. We are in over our head it will take a miracle to get us out of this situation. Mass hiring, a new chief and support from our city manager might only be the solution to our lack of securing a 4 square mile city. Damn, why did I come here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-12-2008, 11:24 PM
vote of no-co..........ralphie must go.......vote of no-co.......ralphie must go.........vote of no-co......ralphie must go........vote of no-co.......ralphie must go...........vote of no-co............ralphie must go.............

08-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Bullshit liars!!! I never cooprerated and never will! Hill is a ****ing asshole, and it could not make me happier that a case that he pulled so much shit on and talked shit to my face and threatened all kinds of bullshit....was the case that ended his career :evil: I have grown up in NMB since 1979. It was even more corrupt then. Just go ask officer Sabitine. Oh yeah he got a high ranking position at Turnberry! Hes a real winner! NMB has been a police force you dont want to **** with for many years.. YOU WILL GET PENCILE WHIPPED AND YOUR ASS KICKED FOR SURE! Its like a state sponsered gang.

08-29-2013, 11:22 PM
mR. mCKAY THANK yOU fOR yOUR sUPPOrt. i HOPe YOU haD FUN oN YOur vaCATION.

hILL WAS WRONG AND tERMINATED FOR hIS aCTIONs BUT the FACT REMAINS THAT YOU AND YOUR BUdDY ASSITED IN COMITTING A MURDER oF AN iNNOCENT man...
aND THE pERSOn YOU aIDED iN THIS muRDER HAD To ANswER tO a GREAter aUTHORITY uP IN THE sKY. iM SURE YOU WILL ALL BE REUNITED iN tHE eND

:devil: