PDA

View Full Version : TPD investigator found guilty of contempt

08-08-2008, 02:23 PM
A Tallahassee police investigator has been found guilty of non-criminal contempt for violating a rule prohibiting witnesses from talking to each other and giving false testimony during a DUI trial, according to court documents.
Advertisement

Investigator Holly Lofland was sentenced Wednesday by Leon County Judge Augustus D. Aikens to six months' probation in his court.

State Attorney Willie Meggs, in a July 9 letter to Tallahassee Police Department Chief Dennis Jones, pointed out perceived problems with Lofland, including discrepancies between DUI arrest reports she wrote and evidence from in-car videos.

"It appears to our office that Officer Lofland is always trying to win as opposed to imparting truth," Meggs wrote in the letter, which the Tallahassee Democrat obtained Thursday.

He said her "win-at-all-cost attitude" has severely damaged her credibility with the State Attorney's Office and the court.

"If attorneys don't win at trial on her cases, she is quick to point out our failure to adequately prosecute," Meggs wrote to the chief. "The majority of your officers do not take this aggressive, abusive attitude and work well with this office as we try to reach just verdicts."

The State Attorney's Office earlier decided not to file criminal charges against Lofland over testimony she'd given in court. A TPD internal-affairs investigation also cleared her.

However, TPD spokesman David McCranie said Lofland has been suspended with pay pending a separate internal-affairs investion. McCranie wouldn't give details because the investigation is ongoing. Lofland was stripped of her gun, badge and patrol car.

Her attorney, Elin J. Erickson, said Lofland may appeal Aikens' ruling.

"We are not sure at this time . . . what actions we will take in the future," Erickson said. "We are obviously disappointed in the judge's ruling, but we respect the judge's judicial candor in this case."

Lofland has been recognized more than once by Mothers Against Drunk Driving for making at least 100 DUI arrests in a calendar year. She was named Law Enforcement Officer of the Year in the 2006 Florida Law Enforcement Challenge. Then-Gov. Lawton Chiles presented her with the Florida's Finest Award in 1994 for saving the life of an 84-year-old woman who was trapped in a burning house.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080808/NEWS01/808080329&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Internal Affairs cleared her of this incident, yet the judge found her guilty of Contempt. Interesting..... Here is another officer on another paid vacation, getting paid tax dollars after, heck, I can't even call this screwing up. Her reports differed from the in-car video. Her memory or notes must not be very good at all. Either that or she actually thought no one would watch the video??? Please.....

Deputy Dooley
09-21-2008, 12:56 AM
So what is your point? Did she lie or not?

11-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Does Lofland still work for TPD?

11-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Way to wake up a 2 year old thread, dumbass

12-02-2010, 06:32 PM

Way to wake up a 2 year old thread, dumbass

04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
What kind of response is "Way to wake up a 2 year old thread, dumbass"? Are you going to get really upset because I'm posting a year later? Maybe the person who wrote that hasn't taken into account that the actions of corrupt police officers continue to effect people's lives for years after they happen, and we're still concerned. When I was arrested for a DUI by Lofland my freshman year at college, I blew a 0.0, yet somehow she made it seem like I was intoxicated beyond the point of return through her scathingly untruthful police reports. It was the word of an 18 year old against a decorated police officer, and I got screwed. Not long after that, karma came back around and got Holly and I hope that she realizes what a pathetic existence that she has lived. Police are here to protect and serve, and officers like this can tarnish the image of police everywhere. With that knowledge, like the poster before, I would like to know if this scumbag police officer is still receiving our tax dollars and being employed by the TPD? That seems like a pretty valid question to me, or am I just another 'dumbass'?

04-22-2011, 07:40 PM
The 'dumbass' before me does have a good point. If this wasn't still a question on many peoples minds, then why would this thread have the number of hits it does. To answer you question, she resigned and all the charges against her were dropped, which is a mockery of the law in and of itself. I work at a bank, and if I stole money, they wouldn't let me just get away with it by quitting. The truly sad part of the ordeal is that she is probably a police officer somewhere else in the United States. I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with her

05-08-2011, 01:15 AM
What kind of response is "Way to wake up a 2 year old thread, dumbass"? Are you going to get really upset because I'm posting a year later? Maybe the person who wrote that hasn't taken into account that the actions of corrupt police officers continue to effect people's lives for years after they happen, and we're still concerned. When I was arrested for a DUI by Lofland my freshman year at college, I blew a 0.0, yet somehow she made it seem like I was intoxicated beyond the point of return through her scathingly untruthful police reports. It was the word of an 18 year old against a decorated police officer, and I got screwed. Not long after that, karma came back around and got Holly and I hope that she realizes what a pathetic existence that she has lived. Police are here to protect and serve, and officers like this can tarnish the image of police everywhere. With that knowledge, like the poster before, I would like to know if this scumbag police officer is still receiving our tax dollars and being employed by the TPD? That seems like a pretty valid question to me, or am I just another 'dumbass'?

You're an idiot and an oxygen thief.

05-15-2011, 05:24 PM
When I was arrested for a DUI by Lofland

And thus we now know your agenda in posting the thread... and if you don't live in the city limits of Tallahassee, it "ain't" your tax dollars anyway...relax and go drink another beer.

06-02-2011, 03:18 AM
East Coaster-
What an intelligent answer you gave, I'm glad to see Tallahassee's finest have learned to use the internet. It's pretty sad when you have to digress into petty insults in lieu of intelligent and well thought-out answers. When you grow up and want to have an adult conversation, feel free to come back.

06-02-2011, 03:41 AM
And thus we now know your agenda in posting the thread... and if you don't live in the city limits of Tallahassee, it "ain't" your tax dollars anyway...relax and go drink another beer.[/quote]

Yet another well thought out response; you are implying that I started this thread in 2008 by posting the original article? Then what? I come back every few years to post on this thread? Suuuure...

and to answer your question, I have lived within the greater Tallahassee area for the last 11 years. I didn't ask the original question because I was upset about being charged with a DUI, I asked it because I was upset that I was wrongfully arrested by a slimy and crooked Tallahassee cop. I understand that most organizations have bad people who do bad things in them, but this seems to be a recurring theme for the TPD (see Rachel Hoffman, etc.).

06-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I didn't ask the original question because I was upset about being charged with a DUI...

And you're a LIAR too pal.

06-14-2011, 03:15 AM

... well, I guess that means I'm qualified to join the Tallahassee Police Department.

06-26-2011, 08:45 PM
I didn't ask the original question because I was upset about being charged with a DUI...

Sounds like quite a few of you were gettin a little uh dat?? Hmmmmmmmm

06-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Just because you blow a .00, doesn't mean that you aren't impaired. That just shows you aren't under the influence of alcohol. Many folks can be impaired, and under the influence of marijuana, cocaine, prescription drugs, etc.

If you were so innocent, why did you take a plea or be found guilty by a jury?

12-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Sounds like some cops on this thread are getting a little defensive. Pretty sad. I honestly wonder how many more Holly Loflands there are still serving in the TPD? I've only lived in Tallahassee for a few years and I could put together a pretty lengthy list of crooked cops. Wouldn't it be nice if our police were policed?