PDA

View Full Version : Manhunt lesson: Not all victims equal

08-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Get ready to get mad while reading this....

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/co ... ctims.html (http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/columnists/mayo/blog/2008/08/manhunt_mania_not_all_victims.html)

I can’t think of a more horrific thing than a 12-year-old daughter seeing the murder of her father, especially over something as petty as a possible road-rage flare-up.

And I’m glad that police have arrested a suspect in the killing of federal agent Donald Pettit, aided by an anonymous tip that led them to a dialysis center.

And I have nothing but condolences for Pettit’s family and friends.

But (you knew there was a but coming) the overwhelming manhunt, complete with roadblocks, air support, traffic stops and hundreds of police devoted to the effort, leaves me wondering about the differing responses and police resources devoted to different victims.

And it’s not just me wondering. Here’s an excerpt from an e-mail I received this morning:

Every time someone in law enforcement is killed the mindset is to pull all resources together to find the killer. My feeling is that when someone in the public is murdered that same mindset is not there…I just always thought as a taxpayer and a law-abiding one that law enforcement is part of our domain, however the feeling is more like we are on two sides of a fence. Don’t get me wrong, I totally understand what law enforcement does for the public and (how it) puts its life on the line. However, it’s just that same old feeling I get each time someone in law enforcement is murdered or accidentally killed in Broward that the wagons are circling and the best place to be when they do is to be at home.

So I guess the crux is: If Pettit had been a teacher, plumber or engineer killed in a road-rage incident, would there have been anywhere near this level of intensity brought to the investigation? And is a differing standard for law enforcement victims right, especially in cases where their fate might have had nothing to do with their jobs?

Of course, it’s completely understandable that law enforcement considers the killing of one of its own a personal affront. And it’s completely understandable that Pettit’s colleagues wanted to do everything in their power to find the killer.

But it leaves the public wondering why not all victims and investigations are treated equally.

Your thoughts?

08-07-2008, 08:29 PM
If someone kills a civilian he is dangerous. A cop killer is twice as dangerous. If you are a cop killer on the run you will more than likely not hesitate to kill any threat to you. That is just 1 reason why all the stops are pulled out to arrest a cop killer. On another note I compare it to the military not leaving the dead on the battle field. We volunteer to do a dangerous job and stand in the line of fire when civilians are running for cover. It is the least that we can do for the family of a slain LEO to capture and bring to trial the killer. This brings some closure as well as geting a killer off the street. A cops life is not worth more than a civilians but a cop killer should be a first priority above any thing else going on to get our attention.

08-07-2008, 11:15 PM
This is EXACTLY why the State Attorneys Office needs to vigorously prosecute Battery on a LEO cases and not drop them to misdemeanors with the overnight in jail as time served. If a person will harm a LEO, he represents an EVEN GREATER threat to the general population. I wonder if the PBA can interview the candidates for State Attorney and get their views on this issue and maybe WE can make it an election issue. HEY KAZ.....HERES YOUR CHANCE ! !

08-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Devils advocate here - the guy was in plain clothes, how was the civilian supposed to know he was a cop? It was a road rage incident where they were both running their mouths and it turned tragic. The civilian drew first. Unfortunately, the first to draw is usually the winner, as was the case here. Points learned, road rage - whether you are a cop or not - is not worth getting in to a pissing contest over. ALWAYS draw first if it comes to it. NEVER get in to an altercation with your children 10-12.

Now for the other side - most scum bags killed in PB County deserve it, either from being involved in the drug trade, or some other sort of illegal activity.

08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Devils advocate here - the guy was in plain clothes, how was the civilian supposed to know he was a cop? It was a road rage incident where they were both running their mouths and it turned tragic. The civilian drew first. Unfortunately, the first to draw is usually the winner, as was the case here. Points learned, road rage - whether you are a cop or not - is not worth getting in to a pissing contest over. ALWAYS draw first if it comes to it. NEVER get in to an altercation with your children 10-12.

Now for the other side - most scum bags killed in PB County deserve it, either from being involved in the drug trade, or some other sort of illegal activity.

hindsight is 20/20

for all they knew at the time a single shot to the back of the head could have been a planned assassination

08-08-2008, 10:12 PM
[quote="Guest"]Get ready to get mad while reading this....

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/co ... ctims.html (http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/columnists/mayo/blog/2008/08/manhunt_mania_not_all_victims.html)

[

So I guess the crux is: If Pettit had been a teacher, plumber or engineer killed in a road-rage incident, would there have been anywhere near this level of intensity brought to the investigation? And is a differing standard for law enforcement victims right, especially in cases where their fate might have had nothing to do with their jobs?

According to LT. COL. Grossman who has studied the act of killing for years and consults for the DOD as well as law enforcement, it’s a fact that with in the span of a generation ALL Civilization as we know it would cease to exist if there weren't any law enforcement. We all have read about the basic human need structure, one of the biggest human needs is to feel safe. That said, a Leo’s life isn't worth more, however if we don't go all out every time a cop gets killed it would be open season on cops (worse than it already is with our SA). In the past the "bad guys" feared us and knew what the likely outcome was if they killed a cop. For the majority that’s what has kept most law enforcement relatively safe most of the time. Due to the judges and the SA's office in this county it has become more and more accepted to hurt or kill a cop.

Law enforcement professionals are a special breed. Unlike most professions that you speak of, Leo’s leave for work with a GUN strapped to their side and a badge or star pinned to their chest. They drive around looking for danger so you and your family will not have to face it. We protect you...24/7/365....who protects us? (Certainly not the SA or judges in this county)If we don't protect each other by showing the "bad guys" that you will have to live looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life until you are caught or killed, we as Leo’s are done for. With out most professions people would get sick and die. Buildings would crumble, we wouldn't invent anything else, planes wouldn't fly so on and so on......but we as a civilization would survive. If you take law enforcement out of the equasion, thee men and women who run into danger....run to the sound of gun fire....and know every time they leave their house for work they may not come back, life as we know it would end. Who would feel safe then???????????????????

08-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Level of commitment tells all. Law enforcement wear body armor and a firearm so they can live through their on the job encounters. Civil order and disorder depends on the quality of law enforcement. Look at Iraq after the invasion. The soldiers and marines had to transition into police keeping to stop the mayhem and chaos. The majority of murder vicitms live a "high risk" lifestyle and many of the investigations get almost no cooperation from the neighborhoods where the murders happen. Riviera Beach, Belle Glade, Lake Worth, West Palm Beach have "no cooperation" or in street terminology "Screw the Po-Po" mentality that has been breed into their physche and genetics. The last teacher in PBC that was killed had a great investigation and reulted in a conviction and I recall seeing a tremendous response to the Wendy's shooting where a firefighter was killed. Another sad reality is that 80% percent of law enforcement's time is spent on the 20% of the population that live the "high risk" lifestyle. There are thousands of opinions as to why this happens but I think it is directly related to the influx of illegal aliens that are illegally working in this country. If the illegals weren't here sucking up the jobs, maybe some, in reality not all, would be gainfully employed instead of bored and looking for trouble. One incredibly compelling statistic is the impact of illegal alien crime on law enforcement and the judicial system. It is somewhat staggering at the amount of violent crime and drugs directly linked to cultivating violent crime committed by illegal aliens, but that is ignored. But is is a good story and shocking. To some up the reason of why some cases get bigger and better attention, I think it comes down to the level of commitment one gives towards their life and how their life has reflected upon others. A high risk life style is expected to die and it is not a surprise. One great reality of our county is the freedom of choice and the path you choose determines the respect you receive in return.