PDA

View Full Version : LE Sgt Test Screw Up 8-5-08

08-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Allow me to be the first person to post a topic about how screwed up today's LE Sgt Test was..

We all had to sit in a room for several hours (for a 20 minute test) with little or no explanation on what the problems were ..

10-12 people allegedly got to do the test a second time around because of "technical problems" therefore granting them an obvious advantage over all of the others who only had one shot. Those who got do-overs had ample time to digest the questions and formulate answers.

JS should be jobless after embarassing both herself and our agency with her transparent incompetency (not to mention that she appeared to be under the influence to say the least).

Today's test was nothing short of a disaster, and an example of both poor planning and judgment. I know that PBSO could of done better, and hope that EVERY CANDIDATE in the next groups get a fair shake and efficient delivery of their testing.

08-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I can certainly understand why you and others are upset with the manner in which the process was administered, but we should not be jumping to any premature conclusions about any advantages that some candidates may or may not have had. This process was probably one of the most poorly administered tests in a long time, and unfortunately, this is not the first time that it has happened at PBSO. There needs to be some strict accountability for what has happened here, rather than just a bunch of steam and hot air.

Give the sheriff an opportunity to look into what happened. He understands the sacrifice that most, if not all, of the candidates made in order to compete in this process. If nothing else, he is very fair and he is not going to validate a process where the playing field was not level.

If there was an advantage with those 10-12 candidates getting a second opportunity at answering the same scenarios, then this portion of the process will have to be done again with newly created scenarios. There is no other way around it. If, however, the audio portion of the presentation was recorded, and there's just no video to view (from the first presentation), then the audio-taped response should suffice. If there is no audio or video, and the agency would have to rely upon the candidates' second performance, then all of the candidates will have to perform this phase again. My only concern at this point is that those 10-12 candidates will have been through this process twice, while everyone else has only done it once.

Those in the second group of the process were at the school from 8:00 this morning and did not get released until around 6:00 tonight. That hardly seems fair to them, especially since the first group was released around 12:00 noon. The morning group was delayed by a couple of hours in starting their scenarios. The second group was delayed by well over eight hours and they went into their performances knowing that there was problems with the process because of the finger pointing between civilian managers and because of the lack of professionalism. If it wasn't bad enough, there was another example of failed leadership when it came time to acknowledging that there was an A/V problem with the first group. Those candidates in the second group can hardly say that they had the same opportunity as the first group in going into this assessment phase with a positive attitude and clear focus on the work that needed to be done.

The first post makes several strong points that are difficult to argue with. We should expect more than this from PBSO, and when people fail to deliver, there should be accountability in the form of consequences.

08-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Another problem...

Hypothetically, if one group is graded based on video and audio while another only on audio, then the whole idea of standardization goes out the window again. Being able to see how the subject presents him or herself would certainly effect the grade. After all, you are being evaluated based on your presentation and so much can be communicated visually...

I just don't see a simple solution or fix here...

08-06-2008, 02:09 AM
I don't know about anyone else but there is no way in heck I am going through that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-06-2008, 02:57 AM
oouuuphhff!!!

She needs to go...manager pay and a take home for this?

I enjoyed her explanation of, "It's not PBSO's fault...we bid out to a Chicago firm who sub-bid to a local business that didn't know how
to use the equipment"....

That should have been in the bid....NO SUB BIDDING. Wow, who would have thought that the winning bidder wasn't going to FLY DOWN from Chicago and work the process....sheesh!

Well, I believe it would make it your fault, for not insuring that the process was inspected, and double checked.

I remember her saying that the NONE of the equipment was turned on in 15 of the candidates rooms, which means there is no audio recording of their scenarios... making the entire process unusable.

I'm sure our wonderful PBA has already wrote the MOA for it.

08-06-2008, 04:21 AM
I have complete faith in the Sheriff doing the right thing. The Sheriff has really made it his mantra to be fair, honest, and straight forward. The guy is smart, he's not going to validate anything that will be called into question.

It wasnt just the 10 or 12 that got to go twice, most the candidates in the first wave got to sit with the first question about twenty minutes Ive been told. Is that really correct?

I think the last poster was correct, lots of rumors will fly, the best thing to do first is for the boss to dispel those, investigate, get all the facts, and be fair about it as he has demonstrated time and again with other issues.

We have it pretty good here and we owe much of it to the boss. I am not happy with the process glitch either but let the boss do his job and I think every one will be satisfied.

08-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Okay, let's gear up for another run of this assessment process! New scenarios will be developed and we'll try this again people! Lets get some leadership down there on the next go around, please. Should be easy next time. All have seen the process at least once, and some have seen it twice.

08-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Even though I did not take part in this promotional process, I feel for all of you. I for one am completely sick and tired of the incompetant civilian's who seem to run PBSO. This place allows them to get away with murder. From H.R., motorpool, commo, steno, etc, they treat us bad and are allowed to get away with it. I will never understand why this is an accepted practice her at PBSO.

NIGHTRIDER
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
I have complete faith in the Sheriff doing the right thing. The Sheriff has really made it his mantra to be fair, honest, and straight forward. The guy is smart, he's not going to validate anything that will be called into question.

It wasnt just the 10 or 12 that got to go twice, most the candidates in the first wave got to sit with the first question about twenty minutes Ive been told. Is that really correct?

I think the last poster was correct, lots of rumors will fly, the best thing to do first is for the boss to dispel those, investigate, get all the facts, and be fair about it as he has demonstrated time and again with other issues.

We have it pretty good here and we owe much of it to the boss. I am not happy with the process glitch either but let the boss do his job and I think every one will be satisfied.
Awesome statement!! I have been here through 5 administrations. This is the best to date. The boss will do whatever it takes to make it right. Have faith brothers and sisters!!

08-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I was in the same situation 31 years ago w/different dept. The final solution was that everyone involved took another sgt test and the candidates got to pick their highest score of the two.

Most of the "victim" group filed grievances after the initial scores were posted; the city agreed, and the initial solution would wipe their slate and give them a 2nd test. I was in the victim group, but had the highest score so I filed a grievance. The non-victim group filed grievances complaining that the other group got two chances while they got only one, so they finally settled on the best of two scores solution. There was more than one sgt's position that would be filled via this test, so even if you weren't #1, being close was important..

08-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't think it's fear that we have go through this cluster again. I was not one of the 12 that had to retake the assessment, however, I feel for every person that was there. I just hope they can come up with a better solution then retake this video assessment.

08-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I have spoken to several people who took the test and all stated that they felt good on how they did and feel if they retake the test what they may do poorly. So in some ways it's a double edge sword. Plus four of them stated they gave up vacation time to study and to take the test. So how do they recoup their vacation time. One friend stated it was the most he has ever been stressed, felt like the waiting part was part of the test to see if you could handle stress. All stated they would not want to go through the hell again.

just what heard..

08-06-2008, 06:12 PM
If you ask people that have done video assesments in the past, you will find that how you feel you did is not necessarily reflected in the grade. I know many people who thought they did well and got low scores...you just don't know until you get your grade.

08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
We all agree that the test and its results are contaminated. So where do we go from here? Do we wait for a reaction? Or do we have to create something formal for the issue to be addressed?

Ultimately, I think we all agree that the Sheriff will do the right thing.
I just hope that once our issue is settled that JS never has the opportunity to screw something up that badly again...

08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
You Have a point about support personel, but we all have to remember we are a team...we need eachother. Its not about working for commo or any other civilian. Do you want to answer 911 or dispatch? The Sgt test was tragic, but Im sure nobody set out to thwart the process. This company was running the cameras, not PBSO, I know this because I was there. Im as upset as anyone, but lets not dwell on it but move on and get it fixed and stop this petty complaining. To be honest, Im embarrassed by some of your comments. WE ARE A TEAM...THE TEAM WINS OR FAILS not LE or Civies.

08-07-2008, 09:02 PM
This is not about civilians bad or good.

This is about how those who took so much time to prepare for a promotion got an unfair shake. The assesment scores and the test itself have no credibility. This needs to be addressed by both the PBA and any other authority that can make things right.

Let's not let this go...too much is at stake.

08-07-2008, 10:25 PM
JS was totally out of control Tuesday. She needs to go. How many times is PBSO going to permit her to screw up.

The manager of HR was so professional. She did everything possible to make us feel comfortable and keep our spirits up. Several deputies wanted to leave. She encouraged them to stay and complete the process. She even offered to pick up one of the deputies child from daycare. I witnessed her making calls for some of the guys who had other commitments they realized they were unable to keep.

JS always blames someone other than herself. She didn't walk into the cafeteria, where we'd been waiting, until 6 hours after she'd told us the process was running 30 minutes behind. She lacks professionalism.

08-08-2008, 12:14 AM
JS should have been fired a long time ago. She has no business working in HR or anywhere else in PBSO.

08-08-2008, 02:44 AM
As JS says, bartender another round for the canadates, it's going to be a long day.

08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Bravo Sheriff!!

Thanks for righting this wrong...you handled this the right way and continue to earn our respect and loyalty.

JS, for both us and PBSO, stay as far away from this process as possible!

08-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Oh NO, say it ain't so..........JS will be in charge of retesting for LE Sergeants. Sheriff Bradshaw, please hear our plea. Keep JS away from this process. Anybody but JS. Please. Don't put us through the same torture with the incompetent and psychotic person leading the process.

08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Js did not own the situation that she is responsible for!

She demonstrated no accountability when things went wrong..

The A/V equipment should have been pre-tested that day before the candidtaes even got there. What happened that day was a disgrace, people sat in that cafeteria for several hours without even so much as an apology from JS. For you to be critical of the deputies there and defend JS is nothing short of amazing.

If YOU think she demonstrated good leadership and character that day, and the "sissy" deputies were in the wrong, than we question your leadership ability. Thanks for standing up for the cops buddy!

Have another drink with JS, maybe one day you can strive to be as good as her...

08-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Note so self: "Why am I taking a test when there has not been a promotion in over a year and a half?"

Now I want to see the cry babies that will want more study time. Do the math people, on a good year they may promote 5 to 7 people both LT and SGT and there is no Lt and above promotional opportunity in the future. Maybe 5 years down the road and that is after two more promotional processes. The agency is young and with the take over's and ordaining of the take over supervisors, you're stressing yourself out for nothing.

08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I agree JS didn't assume any responsibility for anything. She blamed any and everybody she possibly could, the way she ALWAYS does. Someone please give the lady a clue....so she will realize that she incapable.

First she said it was Purchasing's fault...then it was the Chicago agency's fault...then it was the contracted local agency's fault....Well, whose fault was it JS that those of us sitting in the cafeteria were there for hours without knowing what was going on? I'm sure if you answer, you'd say it was the two staff people who remained in the cafeteria with us the entire time and tried to keep our spirits up or the principal of Spanish River HS.

Thanks once again for reminding us how incapable you are. You need to read the book on leadership that you required we read to get ready for the promotion process.

08-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Just give everyone the same score across the board for the questions and let the portfolio/accomplishment resume decide. This portion of the process if flawed anyway because all you have to do is target the focal points that will be checked off by the grader. If you know what the grader is looking for, anyone can tell them exactly what they want to hear. Come'on guys, this is a lot of drama for the next five promotions over the next two years. :devil:

08-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, since JS has to always place blame somewhere, I am fully expecting her to blame anything and everything that happens Saturday on the storm.

08-22-2008, 10:59 AM
I heard that a Sgt in Royal Palm just retired. This should make an opening for someone on the current Sgt's list.
Those of you in the top 5 of the current list, keep your fingers crossed, you could get that phone call any day! :D

Good luck!!!

08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Now the scenario questions are going to be the toughest ever. I hear they are going to make sure that you just don't tell them what they want to hear for the grading. There are a few people walking around and bragging that they know the key points to look for and once they hit on them, they think they'er done. Well, get ready for the curve ball boys, cause you've already had one bite at the apple and there is no way they are going to come up with the same type of scenarios. It would create too much controversary and challenges.

08-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Good ! ! Let it separate the MEN FROM THE BOYS ! ! :cop:

08-23-2008, 08:47 PM
NOT SO, I TOOK THE EXAM AND EVERYTHING WENT SMOOTH. THE QUESTIONS WERE NO DIFFERENT THAN LAST TIME. TO ALL WHO TOOK THE EXAM GREAT JOB AND GOOD LUCK GUYS AND GALS.

08-24-2008, 04:38 AM
2 guys were wearing gold "detective" shields on their suit lapels.. nice touch.

same guys had written study material in the cafeteria and was studying and sharing them with each other...

so much for monitoring....

08-24-2008, 05:50 AM
There are talks about leaks every time we have a testing process or interview for a specialty unit. If this is something beyond jealiousy or the need to gripe about something, then go make a complaint. Just make sure that your complaint is legit and its not a case of sour grapes because some people did well or better than you.

As for these detectives or agents studying before the time they took their test you shouldn't have to worry too much because they should have studied and been prepared well before the time they walked into the cafeteria that morning. Don't start making accusations against the FOG or anyone else for leaks unless you have something to back it up other than just being a conspiracy theorist.

08-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Dear Agency Apologist:

Please don't infer to tell me what to think, you clearly lack that connotative ability.

.."don't worry about them, they should have been prepared..." Are you for real?

It was clearly in the last Promotion Update NOT TO BRING ANY STUDY MATERIAL IN WITH YOU".

If these guys read it, it should never have happened, clear examples of what type of sgts they will make.

The point that everyone is clearly making is that this section of the process needs to be handled by an outside agency, and judged by an outside PD agency. West Palm or Gardens would do.

Fair and Equal...a difficult concept for some to grasp.

08-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Not a matter of being an apologist for the department but we should keep in mind that there is no perfect promotional process, inside or outside of the department.

People should devote their time, energy, and efforts into what difference they can make to our agency and the community, rather than trying to capitalize on opportunities where they might think that the department fell short of perfection on something. Most of the time, this type of whining and crying is done for the purpose of "stirring the pot" without having any of the real facts.

Another post suggested that you make a complaint if you think that something improper has happened. No, you would rather come to this site anonymously and try to trash the department that you work for.

08-25-2008, 01:37 AM
right...and your motivation?

You constantly lay into anyone who has a counter opinion of yours. Very tedious, and parochial.

Of course, I'm a liar because I made it up, or am I coward for not reporting the incident.

Perhaps I just have confidence in my ability to outperform those in question.

Someone take away his soapbox....

08-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey, I saved money on my car insurance.

08-25-2008, 02:23 AM
So easy a "caveman" could do these scenarios.

08-25-2008, 09:13 AM
I FIND IT UNFORTUNATE THAT PEOPLE ARE BRUSHING THIS ALL OF, OR EVEN DEFENDING IT AS ONE OF YOU CONTINUES TO DO..

PEOPLE, THIS TEST IS NOTHING LESS THAN A FARCE. FORGETTING THE FIRST TEST SCREW-UP, I HEARD WITH MY OWN EARS A D/S SHARING ONE OF THE TEST QUESTIONS HE HEARD WOULD BE ON THE TEST WITH A FRIEND OF HIS (THE COURT OT ONE). GOD ONLY KNOWS HOW MANY OTHERS KNEW THINGS IN ADVANCE WHICH PLACES ALL WHO ARE HONEST IN A DISADVANTAGE. THIS ENTIRE PROCESS IS CORRUPT, AND NEEDS TO BE EXPOSED AS SUCH. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHO CAN DO IT OR HOW THIS CAN BE DONE. THE LAST THING I WILL DO IS COMPLAIN TO THOSE WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PROBLEMS TO BEGIN WITH.

I JUST FEEL BAD THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY, SOME MAY BE REWARDED FOR THEIR CORRUPTION AND OTHERS PUNISHED FOR THEIR HONESTY. THIS SHOULD OUTRAGE US ALL, AND I AM SAD THAT IT OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T.

08-28-2008, 07:04 PM
I think the TAC Lt is the old robbery sgt, LT Smith. I guess we will see if Kaz gave him the answers when the scenario results come out. If they all get high scores, then this seriously needs to be looked into.
I hope it's not true.
I think in the future, they should let the testing be conducted by an out-of-county, maybe even an out-of-state law enforcement agency.

08-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Complaint made on sergeant candidate B.T. for bunch of charges because of the way he acted in the taping of the scenarios. This department is finally fed up with him and others that cannot work by the rules. I.A. looking into it. Many fellow deputies witnessed the unprofessional behavior.

08-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Complaint made on sergeant candidate B.T. for bunch of charges because of the way he acted in the taping of the scenarios. This department is finally fed up with him and others that cannot work by the rules. I.A. looking into it. Many fellow deputies witnessed the unprofessional behavior.

Yeah that makes alot of sense, HR total fails us and they put an IA on one of us...That will fix'em!

unprofessional behavior??? Like not insuring a fair and equal process? HR should be forced to give up a day of comp time for what they did..

Was the person in question on duty? If not, don't waste anyone's time... seesh.

08-31-2008, 04:31 PM
For the "me" posting above, I guess you just need to make sure you are OFF-DUTY and then you have unrestricted permission to act like a total ARSE. Forget the fact that it is a job related activity and you are representing the department as a potential future supervisor. And walking into the process and cursing out an HR employee in front of others is completely excusable because you were not on duty. He should have been expelled from continuing in testing because of unprofessionalizm.

With that type of mentality, we can all be thankful that if your a candidate we wont have to worry about you getting promoted.

08-31-2008, 04:57 PM
For the "me" posting above, I guess you just need to make sure you are OFF-DUTY and then you have unrestricted permission to act like a total ARSE. Forget the fact that it is a job related activity and you are representing the department as a potential future supervisor. And walking into the process and cursing out an HR employee in front of others is completely excusable because you were not on duty. He should have been expelled from continuing in testing because of unprofessionalizm.

With that type of mentality, we can all be thankful that if your a candidate we wont have to worry about you getting promoted.

Ah at least I know how to read a contract...

"unrestricted permission to act like a total ARSE" Um....yes this is America, don't cha know?

job related activity... expelled...? What are you talking about? Use your mind child, was he on the clock or not?

Hey wait a minute.. I think I just discovered a WONDERFUL scenario for the NEXT sergeant's test, which you would have failed miserably..

"Your Time is UP! HAHA!

09-01-2008, 03:51 PM
BT had the guts to stand up to the farce...more than I can say for any of you. We should all stand with him instead of knifing him in the back for doing what we all wanted to do that day but lacked the guts.

FIGHT ON BT!

You should all be outraged that anyone from HR has the nerve to complain about one of you when they screwed up so badly....

09-01-2008, 06:05 PM
It is not the fact that B.T. spoke up. It is how he chooses to speak up that gets him (and others) in trouble. If he were able to think his actions through a little better, he would probably still be a Sergeant. It shows that when the chips are against him, he does not have the ability to handle things with finesse. A very poor trait of any leader. He begins to shout and yell at people, and while that may work in certain parts of this county. It does not work well on civilian HR employees. It is very possible to get a point across to people without making a complete idiot of ourselves.

09-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I heard about BT's little temper tantrum. What impresses me most is that not one of you future "leaders" had the intelligence/courage/wisdom, to step in and put an end to it before it got to where it is.

Way to go. Semper I Esprit de me.

Here's to you future bosses, you put the I in team!

09-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Many of us and PBA are waiting for the scenario results to be published. Leaks of information were given to some of the candidates and HR cant vouch that scoring was fair between groups cause of assessor discrepancy. Scenario assessing will be probably be redone again for sgts to avoid being sued. I told PBA rep that I dont want to go through this again.

09-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Many of us and PBA are waiting for the scenario results to be published. Leaks of information were given to some of the candidates and HR cant vouch that scoring was fair between groups cause of assessor discrepancy. Scenario assessing will be probably be redone again for sgts to avoid being sued. I told PBA rep that I dont want to go through this again.

"Leaks were given..."? "HR cant vouch that scoring was fair..."? "Scenario assessing will be probably be redone..."?

Nothing you've posted is true or near the truth.

There are zero grievances. There are zero Internal Affairs complaints. Nothing, zip, zero, nada.

Stop posting false rumors.

If you have actual information, then I suggest you file a grievance or an Internal Affairs complaint. If you feel so compelled to post here, then give specific facts, identify yourself, and be prepared to back-up the information.

The assessment committee is being observed each and every time they meet for any purpose. Notes/minutes are taken, which are public record. No materials are allowed to leave the room were the committee's works.

It is so difficult for promotional candidates to keep their eye on the ball when people like you come on here, throw false information and create distress or uneasiness as over 200 people (from corrections & law enforcement) strive in competition amongst one another to excel on the promtional processes.

Why would you do this?

The only answer is because you are immature and were given an opportunity to come onto the Sheriff's Office, wrongfully, when perhaps, another applicant at the time, was probably better suited, more mature and better abled, for the job over you.

As difficult as it may be for you, sonny, please exercise a little restraint and discipline.

09-04-2008, 01:38 AM
All has been fair, honest, and competent in this process because they were monitoring it??

ARE YOU KIDDING!

I personally am gathering all that I had observed and will turn it over in writing to the PBA. I encourage all others to do the same, or you can keep your head in the sand like the last poster..

09-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Game of deflecting responsibility is being played again by the master. She is inviting you to bring your allegations forward in her message. You need to be careful for what you ask for.

Take all the concerns to the PBA and then we will decide if it needs to go to IA.

I am fed up with these promotionel testings being corrupt and run by the insiders.

09-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Either put up or shut up.

You claim there is corruption

You claim there was cheating.

You claim there is mismanagement.

O.K. mister. Prove it. File a grievance and an Internal Affairs complaint.

The make up Situational Exercise Assessment Center for LE Sergeant Candidates was on Saturday, August 23, 2008 (at The Kings Academy), about 12 days ago. The Situational Exercise Assessment Center for LE Lieutenant, Corrections Sergeant and Lieutenant Candidates was on Wednesday, August 6, 2008, about 29 days ago.

Where are all the grievances and Internal Affairs complaints? Where?

The answer? There are none!

Why?

Because a very small number of individuals wasted their time to posts false information and spread rumors of corruption, cheating, and mismanagement.

So, to you specifically, Mr. Buttford and others with you.

I say again, loudly, "Either put up or shut up."

I'm waiting.

09-05-2008, 08:05 PM

"Leaks were given..."? "HR cant vouch that scoring was fair..."? "Scenario assessing will be probably be redone..."?

There are zero grievances. There are zero Internal Affairs complaints. Nothing, zip, zero, nada.

If you have actual information, then I suggest you file a grievance or an Internal Affairs complaint. If you feel so compelled to post here, then give specific facts, identify yourself, and be prepared to back-up the information.

The assessment committee is being observed each and every time they meet for any purpose. Notes/minutes are taken, which are public record. No materials are allowed to leave the room were the committee's works.

It is so difficult for promotional candidates to keep their eye on the ball when people like you come on here, throw false information and create distress or uneasiness as over 200 people (from corrections & law enforcement) strive in competition amongst one another to excel on the promtional processes.

Why would you do this?

The only answer is because you are immature and were given an opportunity to come onto the Sheriff's Office, wrongfully, when perhaps, another applicant at the time, was probably better suited, more mature and better abled, for the job over you.

As difficult as it may be for you, sonny, please exercise a little restraint and discipline.

Most of us won't file them beacuse we are realists and we know we would be fighting a battle we could never win.

09-07-2008, 05:12 PM
[quote=Guest]Many of us and PBA are waiting for the scenario results to be published. Leaks of information were given to some of the candidates and HR cant vouch that scoring was fair between groups cause of assessor discrepancy. Scenario assessing will be probably be redone again for sgts to avoid being sued. I told PBA rep that I dont want to go through this again.

Why would you do this?

Most of us won't file them beacuse we are realists and we know we would be fighting a battle we could never win.[/quote:18mlki2k]
Famous words of a coward.

09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
There is a pattern in the scenario scoring which indicates that each group or person graded in a different manner. The scenarios should have been graded by a single board of people. Creating different groups of graders has shown there can be no objective system. This is wrong. A review board should be created and one single group should grade the scenarios. This would produce more consistency. Just look at the grouping of scores and compare it to the graders and you will reveal the pattern. It just looks like there trying to hard and making it too complicated. I know there are a lot of scenarios to grade for one board of people but I think the grades would be more fair this way. And what is up with these people trying to get extra credit for going to school for their performance package? If that is the case, then the military folks should get points too.

09-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Get your facts straight. There is no credit being given for getting your education. This is the most unbiased and fair promotional process that we have probably ever administered during my time in HR. I'll dare someone come on here and accuse HR, Labor, or anyone else of wrongdoing. With the exception of a little "mishap" that was out of our control, this has been an outstanding process. It will go down in history as one of the finest.

09-11-2008, 03:50 AM
Personally I think a good contest of rock, paper, scissors would be better then this process...

09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Get your facts straight. There is no credit being given for getting your education. This is the most unbiased and fair promotional process that we have probably ever administered during my time in HR. I'll dare someone come on here and accuse HR, Labor, or anyone else of wrongdoing. With the exception of a little "mishap" that was out of our control, this has been an outstanding process. It will go down in history as one of the finest.

This post smells like smoke. Anyone else smell that?

09-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Call it smoke & mirrors or whatever you want in trying to be funny, but the fact remains..........We put together one of the finest promotional testing processes that this department has ever seen. Just look beyond this post because there are only two or three disgruntled whiners that are unhappy because it didn't go well for them so they want to condemn the whole process.

This will be a model to follow by other departments, not only across the sunshine state, but across this fine country. It was a cooperative effort between HR, Labor Relations, and PBA to ensure that there was no breach of integrity or ethics.

09-12-2008, 03:36 AM
"This will be a model to follow by other departments, not only across the sunshine state, but across this fine country. It was a cooperative effort between HR, Labor Relations, and PBA to ensure that there was no breach of integrity or ethics".

You have got to be kidding?

If you want "integrity or ethics" hire someone to create the testing that has nothing to do with PBSO or PBA. The leaking of test information does not make a true playing field and that should be what everyone should ask for.

For example: This is the testing process written in black and white. No changes and the PBA should not call all the shots without speaking to all the members involved in the process. Remember, PBA works for its members we don't work for PBA.

HR needs to be up front at all times during the process. After the test post the complete results. (after the calculations they do)and the assessment same process. Tell everyone involved how the caluclation works and how they reached a score.

Nothing can be perfect and I don't care if we are the model for other agencies. We have a great agency and we should try and do our best. Be open and fair.

09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Well how come over 40 of the approx 80 candidates in this "fair" process put in for review/rebuttal ??

09-13-2008, 03:44 AM
The number of reviews/rebuttals do not bear any real evidence on the fairness of the process. That goes to EGO, EGO, and more EGO. Just like we are the best at self proclaimed titles, many also think that they are better performers than they really are. Many of our EGOS are so big that we cannot even fathom the possibility that we really didn't do all that good.

It could not have been their performance, or lack thereof. No way! There had to be something wrong with the process. It had to be rigged, other people had to have inside information, the assessors "had it out for me", the "department doesn't like me", "I could not have gotten a fair shake", etc. This all helps to perpetuate the work of the "conspiracy theorists" and the idea that "misery loves company."

Some (not many) want to attack the credibility of the process and anyone who had anything to do with it. For some, it's more popular to do that. There are typically very few reviews/rebuttals when these testing processes are administered. The reason for that is because most of the candidates know that the process, by in large, is fair and they believe that they received a fair shake, and for most, that's all they're looking for.

09-13-2008, 06:06 AM
and last time? A guy went from a 2.7 to a 5.6 out of 7 with a rebuttal...

This is IMPOSSIBLE according to you because the evaluators were "trained" in the standards......

You need to smell what your shoveling...

09-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Well how come over 40 of the approx 80 candidates in this "fair" process put in for review/rebuttal ??

Thats Easy, because most people bombed it and they know they had to perform very well to get into a promotable status. So, basically since they were not in a promotable status they had absolutely nothing to lose because they are not getting promoted anyways.

OK, next stupid question. :evil:

09-14-2008, 10:26 PM
THE WHOLE PROCESS IS WRONG. NEVER SHOULD AN AGENCY GRADE IT'S OWN PEOPLE. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE OUTSIDE THE AGENCY. I DIDN'T TAKE THE EXAM DUE TO CAREER DEPUTY BUT THE SCORES OF THE SECOND HALF SHOW THAT THOSE WHO SCORED HIGH ON THE WRITTEN ALSO SCORED HIGH THE SECOND PART. I KNOW THERE IS NO PROOF, BUT THE ODDS IF YOU ARE A GAMBLER ARE PRETTY GOOD SOMEONE HAD SOME HELP. SORRY IF THIS UPSETS THOSE WHO SCORED HIGH BUT I AM GOING ON WHAT I HAVE SEEN AND HEARD. THIS PROCESS WAS A FAILURE FROM THE GET GO. THOSE WHO POST AFTER THIS ARE GOING TO BASH ME, SO I WOULD ASSUME THEY ARE THE ONES WHO HAD SOME HELP.

TAKE IT LIKE MEN AND WOMEN AND KNOW YOU ALL DID GREAT AND DESIRE BETTER TESTING FROM HR.

NOW LETS HEAR ALL THE BASHING FOR WHAT I SAID HERE, I AM WAITING...............LET'S SEE, I MUST BE A ROOKIE OR BETTER AN OLD FART WHO NEVER HAD THE GUTS TO TAKE THE EXAM....OR I AM TOO STUPID TO TAKE THE EXAM...COME ON BASH ME FOR SPEAKING MY MINED.......WHIMPS

09-14-2008, 10:49 PM
I won't bash you because I'm a bigger person than that. Just a bit of constructive criticism though, because you make it to easy to pass up.

Opinions are great, but you need to be able to back them up. Or, they just go to the old cliche' that describes how everyone has one. Make yours unique. You know, something with substance. If the best that you can do is........those candidates that did well on all parts of the process works "against the odds" and you believe that they had help because of what you've "heard", seems pretty weak in terms of a compelling argument. And, "assumptions".......well, you know what those equate to. Especially when there not supported by much of anything, except a mere hunch. That and a $1.67 will get you a cup of coffee at D&D, at places where we're charged full freight.

Since I can't determine whether you are "the rookie" or the "ole fart", I'll refrain from making any assumptions, playing the odds, or throwing out some opinion that I cannot fairly support.

09-16-2008, 08:47 PM
BRAVO TO THE SHERIFF!!!

Just got the email that he is giving us 4 hours for the inconvenience of JS' incompetence. The boss is all class and deserves our loyalty in the election.

I do however encourage any of you that feel betrayed by the incompetence, i.e. the leaks of test questions, people studying in the cafeteria before the test, subjective scoring, etc etc etc, make the beef with the PBA. The more voices heard, the more justice will be done.

Again, to the boss, thanks for making things right for what we went through during round one.