PDA

View Full Version : NO MORE TICKETS

08-03-2008, 09:09 PM
The county is crying that it has loss Tax money so they have come up with another idea to save money, but harrass the Public. AS OF NEXT MONTH, ALL NON-CRIMINAL TICKETS WILL BE HEARD AT MAIN COURTHOUSE. That means having to drive downtown, fight for parking that is going to get worse, and now wait hours and hours as a single hearing officer hears thousands of cases a day. It means Bravo and Charlie shift deputies will be tied up at court for longer periods of time. Sgts will start pressuring deputies NOT to write tickets because they cant afford to have the man-power sitting in court over traffic infractions. Alpha shift, who used to write tickets as an easy way to score some OT, will also stop because it simply will not be worth it. They want 3 hours of OT for 30 minutes of court time. But if you have to spend 3 hours in court, they would rather sleep. THe result will be less tickets are written, County and City revenue will further decline, and People's lives will be put at risk because there will be NO traffic enforcement with South Florida's Thrid World Drivers.

DALE ROSS IS AN IDIOT!

08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow, isn't it easy to sit on the sidelines, broadcast the negative, and take no action to fix the problem. This is the problem with people who like to complain...they hardly ever stand up for anything, always waiting for someone else to come up with ideas....what have you tried to do to fix the issue? Why not make some suggestions to the Sheriff? How about CCTV for traffic court? Works for magistrate. How about coming up with ideas to fund the satelites? Nope....it is easier for you to sit back, complain, and wait for someone with else to do the hard work. Way to go!

08-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Wow, isn't it easy to sit on the sidelines, broadcast the negative, and take no action to fix the problem. This is the problem with people who like to complain...they hardly ever stand up for anything, always waiting for someone else to come up with ideas....what have you tried to do to fix the issue? Why not make some suggestions to the Sheriff? How about CCTV for traffic court? Works for magistrate. How about coming up with ideas to fund the satelites? Nope....it is easier for you to sit back, complain, and wait for someone with else to do the hard work. Way to go!

Lamberti wont fix anything unless he can get a sound bite or a news paper article for doing it. Nothing has changed since he took office and nothing will!!!

08-04-2008, 05:24 AM

Lamberti wont fix anything unless he can get a sound bite or a news paper article for doing it. Nothing has changed since he took office and nothing will!!!

08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Can anyone get to speak to Lamberti? The only road deputies who can are the ones who make employee of the month and that is not the appropriate time to discuss things with Lamberti. So where else can we get to the Sheriff so he can hear us besides this site?

08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Don't be like the "3 Amigos". Speak to him, get a set will ya? I spoke with him and didn't get in trouble or harassed. We didn't completely agree but he listened and we spoke civil to one another. The few malecontents here will NEVER be happy. What will make them happy is the Sheriff getting elected to another term. Yes, I said elected to another term. Then they can keep their bashing going on and on and on......same bashing, on and on and on....

08-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I've spoken to him on three different occasions. Never a problem. He's very approachable. He's been to our district twice in the last few weeks backing people up and sitting in roll calls. Just talk to the man, he's willing to listen and discuss matters himself, unlike KJ.

08-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry, but I fail to see the point where this is Sheriff's problem or that he has any say in it. I presume that Broward's Chief Judge (formerly Dale Ross) had a hand in this. Maybe someone should complain to Broward's Judiciary.

Try: http://jaablog.jaablaw.com/

08-12-2008, 07:32 PM
The county is crying that it has loss Tax money so they have come up with another idea to save money, but harrass the Public. AS OF NEXT MONTH, ALL NON-CRIMINAL TICKETS WILL BE HEARD AT MAIN COURTHOUSE. That means having to drive downtown, fight for parking that is going to get worse, and now wait hours and hours as a single hearing officer hears thousands of cases a day. It means Bravo and Charlie shift deputies will be tied up at court for longer periods of time. Sgts will start pressuring deputies NOT to write tickets because they cant afford to have the man-power sitting in court over traffic infractions. Alpha shift, who used to write tickets as an easy way to score some OT, will also stop because it simply will not be worth it. They want 3 hours of OT for 30 minutes of court time. But if you have to spend 3 hours in court, they would rather sleep. THe result will be less tickets are written, County and City revenue will further decline, and People's lives will be put at risk because there will be NO traffic enforcement with South Florida's Thrid World Drivers.

DALE ROSS IS AN IDIOT!

Has anyone from BSO tried to resolve this matter. This is a major problem and will affect everything from staffing on Bravo and Charlie shifts with deputies tied up in court for longer periods. If nothing is done to fix this situation it will definetely mean less non-moving tickets written, especially on Alpha if it requires a court appearance. Somebody at BSO, please do something to right this wrong.

08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
You can't speak with Lame-Berti as he is out saving a cat falling from a tree and all cameras are on him.

08-12-2008, 10:01 PM
You can't speak with Lame-Berti as he is out saving a cat falling from a tree and all cameras are on him.

Just goes to show you that he is a friend to both man and beast. Lamberti for SHERIFF.

08-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Due to the State failing to fund the court system and the imposition of staggering budget cuts the Traffic Magistrate program and Civil Traffic Court as you know it ends next week, 8/29/08. After 19 years of having a separate division, 9/2/08 all civil traffic cases have been added to the COUNTY JUDGES' present caseload and they will be responsible for disposition of the cases. Since the majority of the County Judges are downtown and due the parking problems (Pre-trials bring more defendants) all CIVIl TRAFFIC trials will be heard at the Central courthouse and CRIMINAL TRAFFIC cases will remain as they are, where they are. This means officers will have to traverse the county depending on what kind of citation was written. In addition, the clerk's computer system is not able to schedule the same officers' cases together or block days for training, vacations etc.

The State pulled the funding in March, Chief Judge Tobin, (without additional support) secured emergency funding from the County to keep the program going to September. Most thought the judiciary was falsely stating the "sky was falling". BSO was the 1st agency to step up and try to save the program. The Sheriff & Col Werder have been at the forefront with the Chief's Association in trying to secure additional funding from the county's million dollar reserves. Some cities, the Broward Bar Association and now the Clerk of Court, have also joined the cause. A County Commission budget meeting was scheduled for last Tuesday but Fay postponed it. If funding is obtained it will take at least 2 months to change back. So for now, the sky has fallen and the court system will do the best it can with no money and no additional staffing to process the 60,000 tickets per month that officers turn in.

If you want the commission to fund the program, tell them! Come to the meeting or send them an e-mail explaining how this effects you and your job. For more information see http://www.browardthos.org

08-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Until the problem gets fixed how about just, NO MORE TICKETS, PERIOD.

08-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Or what if we write a whole lot more and flood the system?

08-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Due to the State failing to fund the court system and the imposition of staggering budget cuts the Traffic Magistrate program and Civil Traffic Court as you know it ends next week, 8/29/08. After 19 years of having a separate division, 9/2/08 all civil traffic cases have been added to the COUNTY JUDGES' present caseload and they will be responsible for disposition of the cases. Since the majority of the County Judges are downtown and due the parking problems (Pre-trials bring more defendants) all CIVIl TRAFFIC trials will be heard at the Central courthouse and CRIMINAL TRAFFIC cases will remain as they are, where they are. This means officers will have to traverse the county depending on what kind of citation was written. In addition, the clerk's computer system is not able to schedule the same officers' cases together or block days for training, vacations etc.

The State pulled the funding in March, Chief Judge Tobin, (without additional support) secured emergency funding from the County to keep the program going to September. Most thought the judiciary was falsely stating the "sky was falling". BSO was the 1st agency to step up and try to save the program. The Sheriff & Col Werder have been at the forefront with the Chief's Association in trying to secure additional funding from the county's million dollar reserves. Some cities, the Broward Bar Association and now the Clerk of Court, have also joined the cause. A County Commission budget meeting was scheduled for last Tuesday but Fay postponed it. If funding is obtained it will take at least 2 months to change back. So for now, the sky has fallen and the court system will do the best it can with no money and no additional staffing to process the 60,000 tickets per month that officers turn in.

If you want the commission to fund the program, tell them! Come to the meeting or send them an e-mail explaining how this effects you and your job. For more information see http://www.browardthos.org

Thank you for the intelligent and informative post.

08-24-2008, 12:10 AM
It was a quote from a newspaper. How much intelligence did that take? This county is screwed. Magistrates were a joke so maybe it will be better without them. The only ones who made money were the attorneys or clerks that showed up on behalf of their "clients". What a bunch of dirt bags they were.

08-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Writing the same or more is the best idea. That way the press cannot say that you are not doing your job and still are concerned about public safety. The bad press falls on the legislature that cut an effective, revenue generating program which is where it belongs. It's a win-win.

08-25-2008, 04:49 AM
I don't work for a newspaper and typed it in this forum myself. It is clear from your comment that you have not been in traffic court and have not idea what you're talking about. This was in the newspaper and is accurate Broward Magistrates brought in 30 million dollars last year for the State (of which 4.9 million went to the county and 2.1 to the cities) that money funds the state and local LEO radio system, LEO education and equipment, trauma centers, etc. Not one dime returns or is allocated to the court system. When you can't get new equipment or personnel you'll see what a joke the Traffic program and Magistrates were.

09-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Traffic court to continue despite money woes

> Posted by Scott Wyman at 3:03 PM
Broward County’s traffic magistrate program will keep operating at least temporarily despite the loss of state funding.

The caseload of deciding traffic tickets was about to shift to county court judges. County commissioners tentatively agreed Tuesday to keep funding the magistrates through May in hopes the state Legislature can be persuaded to restore the program.

Magistrates in Broward handle more than 150,000 cases a year. The leadership of the local judiciary said that without the magistrates, major criminal cases would back up as judges are forced to deal with traffic cases as well.

About 10 percent of each court judge’s docket would have to be dedicated to traffic violations. Police officers would be forced to travel to the main courthouse in downtown Fort Lauderdale and wait longer if the cases were not heard by magistrates.

Some tickets would end up being thrown out because they would not be dealt with in a timely fashion, judges told county officials. The U.S. Constitution establishes a right to a speedy trial.

“It is causing chaos at the local level, and we need to deal with it,” Chief Judge Victor Tobin told commissioners.

The county will share the cost, about $200,000, with area cities. The state constitution requires Florida lawmakers to finance court costs, but the Legislature cut the funding earlier this year.

Both the League of Cities and area police chiefs urged county commissioners to finance the program.

Some commissioners said they should not fund items that are the state’s responsibility particularly as the Legislature forces property tax changes on local government.

“I’m really unwilling to take on a long-term responsibility that is the state’s, but I am willing to help out temporarily,” Commissioner Ilene Lieberman said.

It was that temporary help that commissioners agreed to. Tobin wanted the commission to fund the traffic courts through next September, but commissioners said they will pay for it through the end of next year’s legislative session in May.

“I find it almost insulting that our judiciary has to come to us begging for money,” Commissioner Ken Keechl said. “I understand the arguments of what our responsibilities are and what they are not, but we are in this

09-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Did you actually say the alpha shift will be upset because they will actually have to WORK the 3 hours they are being paid time and a half for? Did you really say that? Are you seriously feeling sorry for yourself? Is this not but one day a month or week that you would have to spend actually defending the tickets you write? For some reason...im laughing...and i cant breathe...because i am dumbfounded that you actually think you deserve to be paid OT for 3 hours but should only have to work 30 minutes....ouch! my gut hurts ! That is sooooo funny!!!! Oh my gosh is that funny!!!

DALE ROSS IS AN IDIOT!

09-09-2008, 10:58 PM
read themsg moron...I said they would rather Sleep.

09-10-2008, 02:35 AM
Sleep , work....whatever...the two words mean the same thing to people like you...it still equates to being paid for nothing. call me whatever you like....its a ridiculous statement you made. If you worked for me...youd be fired. No time for laziness or bad attitude. I know little kids with a better work ethic.

Im going to get my "moronic" self to bed now. Tomorrow I have to get up and do actual bonafide work tomorrow morning. You have yourself a nice sleep. Enjoy reading this when you wake up for your lunch hour....officer.

09-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Sleep , work....whatever...the two words mean the same thing to people like you...it still equates to being paid for nothing. call me whatever you like....its a ridiculous statement you made. If you worked for me...youd be fired. No time for laziness or bad attitude. I know little kids with a better work ethic.

Im going to get my "moronic" self to bed now. Tomorrow I have to get up and do actual bonafide work tomorrow morning. You have yourself a nice sleep. Enjoy reading this when you wake up for your lunch hour....officer.

You forgot to mention that the writer states BRAVO and CHARLIE shift would also be tied up. Forgot that? It going to be chaos for all shifts.

09-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Interesting post.... something to think about before Nov 4.