PDA

View Full Version : Layoffs Inevitable

08-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Although Tallahassee continues to say that they do not want to lay people off, we need to be realistic. There is no way to make an additional 10% cut, on top of the 8% without laying agents off. My advice, especially for those of you that have hired in the last three years, is to start filling out applications. It's not fair that Tallahassee is not being upfront with what is going to happen and I think it's a crime not encouraging new hires to start looking elsewhere.

08-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Although Tallahassee continues to say that they do not want to lay people off, we need to be realistic. There is no way to make an additional 10% cut, on top of the 8% without laying agents off. My advice, especially for those of you that have hired in the last three years, is to start filling out applications. It's not fair that Tallahassee is not being upfront with what is going to happen and I think it's a crime not encouraging new hires to start looking elsewhere.

The word is if FDLE has to layoff, the layoffs could include anyone and will not be based on your time with the agency.

08-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Word was new hires or those with less than acceptable job performance.

08-02-2008, 01:36 AM
I think at the end of the day FDLE will be hard pressed to fire a more senior agent versus a new hire. The only way will be if the senior agent has really bad evaluations. Just my $.02

08-02-2008, 03:20 AM
If new agents decide to go elsewhere (instead of waiting to get laid off), will the FDLE let them out of the contract they signed (in regard to reimbursing the FDLE for training costs)? Lets face it, it takes awhile to get a cop job and if one comes along, why turn it down and risk getting laid off then have to go through the application process while being unemployed...

08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
FDLE will not layoff agents. If anything, other civilian personnal will be the first. Miami is already 25-30 short. With the change in gambling places we dont have enough now! Crist... Thank You, but what you did for Florida is PATHETIC! 100-200 hundred dollar at the most makes no sense too what is being done arounf Florida!

08-02-2008, 01:28 PM
If they aren't at least entertaining the notion or possibility of laying off special agents then why did they instruct the Special Agent Supervisors to evaluate and justify their agents...? An agent's job is critical, but they can't do their job w/o support. If they start laying support people off then I feel that the investigations side of the house will take a hit too. Also, I think agents will take a hit before lab people will (many agencies across the state rely heavily upon our lab). Believe me, I hope I'm wrong but it looks as though the writing is on the wall. With 14% (possibly 18% in the future) I don’t see how they can’t lay people off – it’s just a matter of who at this point. It might not hurt for certain agents (perhaps new agents) to have a plan B on standby...

08-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Bad thing about it is....we (The Agents) are the smallest majority in the Agency and unfortunately we will probably take the hardest hit. We are the ones the locals call when they want assistance on case work....not a non-sworn clerical aid punching in numbers and data.

08-02-2008, 02:17 PM
FDLE is one of the few LEO agencies where the non-sworn seem to be more important than the sworn, so when it comes to lay-offs, the sworn will take the harder hit. If I was just hired or work in a RACINO, I would be very concerned!!!!

I still believe FDLE has enought fat to cut in other areas (SOT, GHOST, certain field offices, etc...) to help save on wasted money and resources.

08-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Ref having to worry if you are in Racino. FYI that is the best place to be. It is mandated by state law that FDLE regulates the Racinos. The money to pay for the agents, cars the investigations comes from the yearly 3 MILLION dollar fee that the Racinos pay for the license.

08-02-2008, 07:41 PM
That's good to know. When the bumping starts and people scramble for a chair in the "musical chair" game at least those that end up at racinos will be OK.

08-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Exactly, that is where the agents they keep in S. Florida will end up...not really the ones currently staffed there now.

08-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Well 3 of them have over 20 + years so you better have juice to dump them and if that happens there will be no FDLE.

08-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Guess we're going through a bit of identity crisis right now. Open a case, no don't open a case...does it fit the strategy, write it under an assist, no cancel that, open a major, no wait can't open a major doesn't fit strategy....ah hell....where can we cut jobs???

Let's cancel the damn strategy...and just work cases! Quit trying to act like the frigin' FBI....

08-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Best piece of advise that I have seen! Let us work cases, put people in jail. We used to just do the right thing because "it was the right thing!".

08-03-2008, 01:20 AM
That is the real problem, isn't it? Doing the right thing isn't that simple or even straight forward when you are dealing with politics. DLE is going to have to reinvent itself in order to survive. What the agents want in an organization will always be secondary to what the Florida Sheriff"s Association, the Florida Police Chief's Association, and a number of lesser known political/lobbyist/agenda groups want. Stay flexible, but never say never. Duplication of services is a luxury that cannot be sustained in this state and the economy will be the excuse to make changes...

08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
It's not really duplication if the locals are calling us and asking us to work the cases they can't get to or don't have the ability to work. Locals are responsible for public safety in their respective communities. They will always handle the emergency calls for service, the murders, robberies, burglaries, general dope work and what ever else they need to handle. We should not be so picky about what we work....if it's a criminal case, then we should be allowed to open a case and work it...period. Take away the "73's" all together. Take away the "major" label for all cases and just open the appropriate case. We may have been a "major" case type of agency years ago, but local agencies for the most part are able to handle "major" cases now a days. Let us work cases and put the bad boys in jail...

08-03-2008, 03:09 PM
That is the paradox. Locals call becuase DLE has the experience and resources to assist with complex investigations. If the $$$ is cut and we have less resources to assist - why would we be called? A better question would be - What does DLE do in the field of investigations (excluding lab services and some homeland security issues) that isn't done by locals? That is the duplication of services I am referring to. I hope I'm wrong but my 20 plus years of state government experience tells me "change is coming."

08-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree, change is coming. We should all still continue to do our jobs and work cases, but there's no doubt that some of us may want to start thinking about our individual situations in light of the recent discussions about layoffs. I say keep working but it may not hurt to work on other employment opportunities as well (depending on your job, seniority, etc...).

08-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Regarding layoffs, the Agency is mandated to use a formula regarding years of service/performance dating back five years from the date they officially "begin" the layoff process. So, those last in....first out, unless those that have been around have had documented performance problems. Of course, they always do what they want anyway.

08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Regarding the contract for new hires to pay back training expenses: There is no way you will be required to pay back if you take another job offer. Hell, FDLE should have to pay you for wasting your time and taking you away from your former job that was secure. What a freaking joke. Way to go Tallhassee by hiring the largest agent class in agency history. Now we can layoff the largest amount of people in agency history. From what I hear that contract is bogus anyway.

08-05-2008, 02:46 AM
I bet they will go after the money.
Regarding the contract for new hires to pay back training expenses: There is no way you will be required to pay back if you take another job offer. Hell, FDLE should have to pay you for wasting your time and taking you away from your former job that was secure. What a freaking joke. Way to go Tallhassee by hiring the largest agent class in agency history. Now we can layoff the largest amount of people in agency history. From what I hear that contract is bogus anyway.

08-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Best piece of advise that I have seen! Let us work cases, put people in jail. We used to just do the right thing because "it was the right thing!".
FHP is hiring. Come on board before they eliminate all our open positions.

08-07-2008, 03:26 PM
What I'm wondering is where is all of this about layoffs coming from. I've asked management and FDLEAA and no one has heard that Agents are getting laid off. As a matter of fact there’s no info about civilians either?

My understanding, this has happened before, rumors ran rapidly through all agencies that everybody were losing their jobs. FHP was directed to park their cars and not patrol, FDLE Agents were told not to open cases. Things are bad but I have not seen this yet, have you?

08-08-2008, 02:23 AM
It goes like this all state agencies were told to hold back 4%. Then FDLE was told to do a tabletop exercise and cut 10% on top of the 4%. If FDLE had to execute this plan then layoffs would most likely occur. Over 300 jobs at an average salary of 45K. There are 1900 people who work for FDLE so the loss would most likely be across the board. Remember for every old timer that retires that would likely save 2 jobs. That is the doomsday scenario. FDLE is working on cost cutting measures now to try and avoid any issues down the road. So hang on for the ride and don t get caught up in the emotional aspect. I don t think that the Gov wants to be the first to layoff cops, I think he will have to wait for amendment 5 to pass to do that. (little humor)

08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Why the use of agents starting salary? Are the cuts going to come just from Investigations??? And why just from our side of the house if so??

08-08-2008, 06:44 PM
response to this post
"It goes like this all state agencies were told to hold back 4%. Then FDLE was told to do a tabletop exercise and cut 10% on top of the 4%. If FDLE had to execute this plan then layoffs would most likely occur. Over 300 jobs at an average salary of 45K. There are 1900 people who work for FDLE so the loss would most likely be across the board. Remember for every old timer that retires that would likely save 2 jobs. That is the doomsday scenario. FDLE is working on cost cutting measures now to try and avoid any issues down the road. So hang on for the ride and don t get caught up in the emotional aspect. I don t think that the Gov wants to be the first to layoff cops, I think he will have to wait for amendment 5 to pass to do that. (little humor)Broward Guest "

no offense "Broward Guest" but you are kind of an idiot. Cops have already been laid off (state parole officers) so what are you talking about the governor being the first to layoff cops. He already did it. do some research. and if you've looked at the state financials lately, the additional 10% is very likely, and thus, so are layoffs. keep thinking everything is going to be fine. I'm going to be ready are you?

08-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Yeah, 80 probation officers were laid off - all within their first year on the job... But don't worry, check out the following site:

http://www.wasteservicesinc.com/Employm ... fault.aspx (http://www.wasteservicesinc.com/Employment/tabid/196/Default.aspx)

08-09-2008, 02:45 AM
"no offense "Broward Guest" but you are kind of an idiot. Cops have already been laid off (state parole officers) so what are you talking about the governor being the first to layoff cops. He already did it. do some research. and if you've looked at the state financials lately, the additional 10% is very likely, and thus, so are layoffs. keep thinking everything is going to be fine. I'm going to be ready are you?"

None taken, I don t have to call someone a name to make me feel better on a blog where people can exchange ideas. also I have my financial house in order. So first off, I dont look at those laid off in the same category as state police. I think when you layoff POLICE OFFICERS that opens up a whole different view of the state. Do you really think that a man who wants to be VP of the United States wants to get hammered for letting State Police Officers go. The Gov was also quoted in the paper saying no layoffs. I am not under the assumption that everything is going to be fine, things are going to get ugly. This state has to find a consistent revenue stream but until they do we will live under the not enough money scenario.

08-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Good Post, A lot of these people on this board are like chicken little. Relax, take a deep breath and chill. These boards are useless and rumor central. Hope they start the secure FDLEAA board soon where maybe some real issues could be addressed in an adult manner. And no offense, but please don't compare me to a Probation Officer. Thanks

08-12-2008, 01:47 AM
I wonder what the latest word is... When are they actually going to implement all aspects of the initial 4% cutback the agency has to deal with (to include any possible layoffs)?? They've started with the on call pay but the savings there only equates to 5 or 6 salary positions (the total amount the entire 4% equates to in salary dollars is approx. 30 - 40 positions!). They could park the cars but I don't know how feasible that is since we are a law enforcement agency that relies on our vehicles (nor do I know if that would cover the costs associated with the 30 - 40 salary positions). I truly hope we hear something soon since peoples' jobs are at stake...

08-12-2008, 02:37 AM
I wonder what the latest word is... When are they actually going to implement all aspects of the initial 4% cutback the agency has to deal with (to include any possible layoffs)?? They've started with the on call pay but the savings there only equates to 5 or 6 salary positions (the total amount the entire 4% equates to in salary dollars is approx. 30 - 40 positions!). They could park the cars but I don't know how feasible that is since we are a law enforcement agency that relies on our vehicles (nor do I know if that would cover the costs associated with the 30 - 40 salary positions). I truly hope we hear something soon since peoples' jobs are at stake...

I just wanted to clarify from my last post that the 30 - 40 salary positions does not amount to the whole 4% (12mil). It’s just what’s left over from the vacant positions they cut (to include filled positions that were cut due to people being promoted out of those positions). These positions are based on an average salary of approx. $45k. The whole 4% (12mil) actually comes out to 266 positions in just salary dollars. Word is they still have about 30 - 40 positions out there which is 1.4 - 1.8mil left to cut. Cutting the on call pay and FTA pay only comes out to $270,000 tops...

08-12-2008, 02:38 AM
The 4% has already happened. You should think of it more as a "hold back" than a reduction. The money is still there, it is just the Gov decided to keep 4% of what the legislature agreed to fund. Look at this way - your Mom gave uou $5.00 a week allowance, but kept back .20 as just in case money. Same principle. You still get to spend your allowance, but now you have to be a smarter shopper. $4.80 is a good allowance - but it isn't five now is it? The 10% doomsday scenario will be much more problematic - thank goodness it is just an excercise.

08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Whether it's a hold back or a cut, that money is not intended to be spent. Unfortunately, they have not come to terms with the entire 4% yet - the folks in Tallahassee are still having meetings to discuss the remainder of what needs to be held back or cut.

08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
I am relatively far in the hiring process, and I know that it will be a long time before the hiring freeze is lifted. I was willing to take a pay cut to work for FDLE, but I cannot seek employment with the chance that I could be laid off in the future. I am building seniority at my agency, and regardless of how wonderful it would be to work for FDLE I cannot roll the dice with a career without job security. FDLE agents are overworked and underpaid, and are not even closely compensated to their actual value. I just read about the layoffs and potential for more layoffs, and I feel for the new employees who left their agency to work for FDLE for their true calling in life. Unforunately, if these individuals are laid off it may take them a while to get back on with the S.O. or P.D., and even if they are lucky to do so they may take a huge pay cut and lose many of the benefits of their previous position (i.e. take home car, speciality unit, etc.).